Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

Chains are amazing and I'm actively hunting for more in Japan. And no, you don't need an entire team dealing the appropriate damage type for it to work amazingly well. Take this as an example; about 2/3 of the chain gauge increase in that video is from a single character (I ended at 77%; there's 11% from the entry, 2% from Tidus's OSBs, and 12% from Rikku's BSB and one command 1, which leaves 52% from Edge).

This is your update from 6 months in the future.
is Shantoto's chain any good in comparison to other chains?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nihilarian posted:

is Shantoto's chain any good in relation to other chains?

Lightning is one of the easiest elements to build Chain gauge on. So there's that.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Even without dupes i can't imagine looking at that banner and going "Yeah no this looks like a good use of my time/money"

Yeah the banner is kind of trash with a horrendous booby prize.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Oddly enough, I found A++ Mandragoras super easy. Opening turn is a pain, but once mitigation is up summon spam ends the fight insanely fast.

Ultros was the opposite. Not very threatening at all, but 1.2m HP is a bitch to cut through.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's not a chain but I heard it has a great animation, and it'll help my lightning team regardless.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nihilarian posted:

It's not a chain but I heard it has a great animation, and it'll help my lightning team regardless.

It is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtxFmzEt1o

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I wish we got the pixel-like damage numbers like Japan.

I don't even know why. I just like them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nice

looking at what it does, man, that would have been nice to have against Hein, huh.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Nice

looking at what it does, man, that would have been nice to have against Hein, huh.

You don't even know, he pretty much gets bodied with Shantotto's BSB. Though Lulu and Matoya have similar BSBs, just with a different primary element.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

Nice

I ended up in a group for hein with 3 shantotto bsbs.

Yeah it worked out pretty well you could say.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there any way to sort or organize the RM screen? [edit] Nevermind you can favorite some.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 24, 2017

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Not really, your best bet is just going by favorites to sort your most used ones, but when doing so it auto-sorts them by series.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

God dammit, had a really good team for Apoc ++ Orthos and then in his last phase it got laggy as poo poo and he did haste + ultimate tentacles + ultimate tentacles + aqua breath all while a medica was queued up and killed everyone.

This fight is such a loving slog, ugh

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Disconnected on an Apoc++ Mandragoras the turn before we won :suicide:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Can you cast reflect on Orthos? Wondering if it might be easier to take a physical only team, that counter Haste is brutal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

I wish we got the pixel-like damage numbers like Japan.

I don't even know why. I just like them.

The non-pixeled numbers are also a "we don't want global players to see unfamiliar/old stuff in this game based on 16bit nostalgia" thing like how they images from the remakes of the NES/SNES games instead of their original, non-garbage screenshots like Japan had. I think Japan's banners were/are different too. I definitely didn't recall Anorexic Reno being on the relevant FF7 banners there. It was always fun seeing that global actively spent time and resources to diminish the nostalgia factor to use more recent stuff because "people would recognize it" as if that's a good thing for 3-6 and their ugly-as-hell low quality 3D or blandly ugly sprites.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

KPC_Mammon posted:

Can you cast reflect on Orthos? Wondering if it might be easier to take a physical only team, that counter Haste is brutal.

generally most bosses that have counter buffs on themselves are immune to reflect for this express reason

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So since Ultros has mastery conditions that require you to hit him with a fire and a lightning attack, what happens if you use Shantotto's BSB on him?

Would you get both mastery conditions, or would it only count as one of the two elements? If so, which one? And would it trigger his counter that he does when he gets hit with fire?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Uncle Ulty posted:

So since Ultros has mastery conditions that require you to hit him with a fire and a lightning attack, what happens if you use Shantotto's BSB on him?

Would you get both mastery conditions, or would it only count as one of the two elements? If so, which one? And would it trigger his counter that he does when he gets hit with fire?

First off it counts for both, and secondly due to her BSB providing Shantotto with En-lightning it should register as lightning over fire.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Japan's banners were/are different too. I definitely didn't recall Anorexic Reno being on the relevant FF7 banners there. It was always fun seeing that global actively spent time and resources to diminish the nostalgia factor to use more recent stuff because "people would recognize it" as if that's a good thing for 3-6 and their ugly-as-hell low quality 3D or blandly ugly sprites.

Our regular numbered event banners are the same, typically a new character gets center stage. This is the banner you're probably thinking of, but in japanese.

Our special/fest event times and banners do get shuffled around slightly, and we miss out on 90%+ of the collab events, but on the whole Global doesnt miss a whole lot over nostalgia reasons (There are a handful of abilities missing, things like bard motes, and Eiko's Record Drive for no real reason in particular; stuff that all came out in skipped events but wouldnt be hard to throw in). Sometimes we even get something first. Theres a couple mediocre/bad examples (Stormlight Grim and one of the Samurai abilities are "Global exclusive") but some things like the 25 myth Lucky Draws were done on Global first, and seem to be sticking around a bit longer than the Japanese versions DU ones (They switched to a Free 1x pull and then multiple regular cost pull system on what would have been this last DUpdate, while we retained the 25-11x draw). Hopefully we keep it, its insanely popular and next month is X/V synergy and I have next to nothing in those realms

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Cador_2004 posted:

First off it counts for both, and secondly due to her BSB providing Shantotto with En-lightning it should register as lightning over fire.

Oh cool, that makes sense. I completely forgot about the Enlightning, thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cador_2004 posted:

You don't even know, he pretty much gets bodied with Shantotto's BSB. Though Lulu and Matoya have similar BSBs, just with a different primary element.

Lulu lacks Lightning on hers, while the other two commit fully to the Fire/Ice/Lightning trifecta that Hein's wallchange uses, meaning there's one phase she can't just fall back on the BSB for raw weakness damage.

Even in the fight where it's at its best, Lulu's BSB is crap.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cleared D160 with a team that had a Shantotto Lightning Chain and a Shantotto BSB to go along with my Garnet BSB2. Failed a few times at D220, then ran into them again. :v: Othros went down after that, his phase 2 was such a slog in previous attempts.

I'm debating just not bothering with Mandragoras D220. I mean D200 wasn't even tough, it was just such a slog between five enemies, MP lag, and half the party being comprised of healers and supports. If there were Vitality Motes on the line maybe, but the rewards are just upgrade mats and Dexterity motes. I've been running Sabin + Mog for Esunaga and debuffs, but I might consider dropping Mog for someone like Refia if I was gonna run D220; once you get past the first few turns while you set up mitigation, the incoming damage is pretty low til the last bits.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Did the CM with my A-Team except I replaced Orlandeau with Shantotto and used OK BSB RW instead of Shout. It was pretty hilarious.

Shantotto is amazing at 99 with her final RM.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Lulu lacks Lightning on hers, while the other two commit fully to the Fire/Ice/Lightning trifecta that Hein's wallchange uses, meaning there's one phase she can't just fall back on the BSB for raw weakness damage.

Even in the fight where it's at its best, Lulu's BSB is crap.

Lulu's BSB is just incredibly terrible. It's also, to the best of my knowledge, the only black magic BSB with attacking commands which can be reflected. Its only redeeming factor is that it's one of two +ice armors in the entire game and it's super valuable just for that but uh, yeah, BSB itself is crap.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Beat the mandragoras D160 with OK+Y'shtola. Not that the fight is hard but Y solo healing it felt great. Asylum is ridiculous.

OK's Fire Veil spam was pretty strong too considering it's a 3* skill

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm debating just not bothering with Mandragoras D220. I mean D200 wasn't even tough, it was just such a slog between five enemies, MP lag, and half the party being comprised of healers and supports. If there were Vitality Motes on the line maybe, but the rewards are just upgrade mats and Dexterity motes. I've been running Sabin + Mog for Esunaga and debuffs, but I might consider dropping Mog for someone like Refia if I was gonna run D220; once you get past the first few turns while you set up mitigation, the incoming damage is pretty low til the last bits.

The 240 isn't really too much worse than the 200, based on the experience I had last night. The only time we were really in any serious danger was right at the beginning, when OK ate about 6000 damage before mitigation and ended up silenced all at once. (Through a Rose Corsage's major resist, I might add.)

Past that they don't really take that much longer to melt down if you use AoE DPS. A Raines, Vivi, Desch and summon!Alph did just fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

The 240 isn't really too much worse than the 200, based on the experience I had last night. The only time we were really in any serious danger was right at the beginning, when OK ate about 6000 damage before mitigation and ended up silenced all at once. (Through a Rose Corsage's major resist, I might add.)

Past that they don't really take that much longer to melt down if you use AoE DPS. A Raines, Vivi, Desch and summon!Alph did just fine.

Just cleared it after a fight that was close to 50 minutes long, holy crap. Sabin was definitely pulling his weight with Soul Spiral, but by the end of it we were all auto-attacking while waiting for our gauges to replenish themselves. We didn't even really come close to dying (having four healers will do that), but it was a slog and a half since we had to take them down one at a time (our only AoE was Luneth's command 2).

Should really have brought Garnet instead of Luneth for more damage and to apply a weakness, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, unlike the original U+, I feel like the ability to have two (or three, or four) healers means AoE is the far better option over single target/lockdown for the Mandras. Dispel is important too, even if you have to rely on single-target variants.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I cleared the mandragoras battles last night. D200 wasn't too bad. I actually stepped away twice to check on laundry and on the second time, my team won. It was a pretty OP team though, and I had personally brought Tyro with USB and Y'shtola with SSII and Asylum. Loaded up on wrath for both and basically tried to cover all the major mitigation and anti-debuffing my team needed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This U++ was so not fun. Only being able to damage him with half my team for the first half sucked really hard, especially because I couldn't squeeze in enough buffs for both physical and magic.

Once I got him to the second half it was a damage race that I won but holy the first part was so painful.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This U++ was so not fun. Only being able to damage him with half my team for the first half sucked really hard, especially because I couldn't squeeze in enough buffs for both physical and magic.

Once I got him to the second half it was a damage race that I won but holy the first part was so painful.

Yeah, even doing it with a mixed team via OK BSB was a a headache because two characters can't output enough damage to make it comfortable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, not a fun U++, though it was the first one I've had to actually pay attention to in a while, so I guess I'm glad they're experimenting with ways to shake things up a bit.

I didn't read the tips page closely enough so I missed the thing about his AoE silence attack, it was real fun sitting there waiting for silence to fall off of my mages during his phys-invulnerable stage. Still mastered it somehow, but whew it was close.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Are there any RMs that duplicate Black Mage's Awakening and Flowers of Trabia? When I'm just Autoing through dailies or low-level stuff, having those really helps out, but only having two for my mages is a pain. All the others in my RM list seem to have 'has a chance' in the description, and they're usually pretty lovely chances.
There's a bunch of Haste at battle starts, several attack-alls, several instant-attacks...but stuff that helps Mages out on Auto is pretty scarce.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
CoD's RM4 is a more powerful Black Mages' Awakening, and Vanille's RM4 is a non-elemental Flowers of Trabia, respectively. Though that requires bringing both to level 99 and getting all of their other RMs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pyroclastic posted:

Are there any RMs that duplicate Black Mage's Awakening and Flowers of Trabia? When I'm just Autoing through dailies or low-level stuff, having those really helps out, but only having two for my mages is a pain. All the others in my RM list seem to have 'has a chance' in the description, and they're usually pretty lovely chances.
There's a bunch of Haste at battle starts, several attack-alls, several instant-attacks...but stuff that helps Mages out on Auto is pretty scarce.

For BLK, you have Inflame (Maria).

For WHT, you have Lady of Ivalice (Ovelia).

The rest are level 99 rewards, like Desch's.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Since the newest raids opened up, I haven't been able to complete a single MP match, its really frustrating. Constant crashing on my ipad. I guess I'm going to have to try and muddle through in solo :smith:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

For BLK, you have Inflame (Maria).

For WHT, you have Lady of Ivalice (Ovelia).

The rest are level 99 rewards, like Desch's.

You also have Black Mage's RM3 (Fire elemental), Cloud of Darkness's RM2 (Dark elemental) and Emperor's RM2 (Wind elemental). All of them are AoE and elemental, so they can occasionally cause issues, but by the numbers they're easily on par with Black Mage's Awakening and Inflame, if not minorly better. They're all available off of said characters' MC2s, too, so no levelling to 99, just to 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I must express my frustration at nearly killing Apoc Orthos in Solo, only for my game to crash as Fujin cast the killing spell.

There is so much salt right now. And frustration at probably needing a new ipad.

• Locked thread