Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

does the game checkpoint when there's several boss fights in a row with no opportunity to save?

Every(?) boss/miniboss fight gives you the option to retry it if you die during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Are there any second awakenings that are improvements over the original, because thus far Makoto loses out on her bitchin' bike and I don't get to hear Ryuji yell out CAPTAIN KIDD anymore and it's severely impacted my enjoyment of this game.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Let's talk about Mishima's good points.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

freshlybaked posted:

No matter what you say to him you get a rank up!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

freshlybaked posted:

It's fun to poo poo on him

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
SP becomes such a non-issue by the endgame. I wish the curve was a little gentler to start. You go from bare fingernail scraping your way through dungeons to having personas that refill %'s of life/SP after each battle, SP regen accessories, and near unlimited SP refillers (coffee/curry, and Veggies November on). I'm not complaining about being able to break the endgame exactly, just that it's so easy to do compared to how the early game plays out.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

freshlybaked posted:

He goes from Extraordinary Pushover to Renegade rear end in a top hat to Not Totally Terrible but we still won't Hang Out

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

freshlybaked posted:

He and Sae are the only people who have a change of heart without having their heart stolen. I think people are too hard on the kid.

ChaosArgate posted:

Joker's supposed to be dead at that point, so he absolutely could not have met with Akechi in the interim. As for the others, I assume Akechi didn't think the Phantom Thieves would've lasted much longer with their leader dead.

I get that but the whole thing seems like they packed too much together at that point. Like the party is way too sympathetic to him for almost killing Joker and actually killing dozens of people. Plus they try to throw in a redemption thing, which just feels too rushed, since again, he's responsible for the framing device and this is your first time seeing him since then. Idk, that's my only real gripe with the plot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

He and Sae are the only people who have a change of heart without having their heart stolen. I think people are too hard on the kid.

Also Futaba, who is also the only person to face-to-face with her own Shadow and turn it into a Persona without a fight. Granted that situation never comes up for anyone else in Persona 5, but still.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love how you can just absolutely murder that kid on the Hawaii trip. Saying you really don't want to room with him, telling him to stop talking about the Phan-site, telling Ryuji and Ann that he never shuts up. God Mishima is the worst.

end game spoiler If Mishima truly loves the Phantom Thieves, he'd take the fall for Goro and go to prison for fifty life sentences, it's the least he can do for a member of the Phantom Thieves

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

My secret confession is that I am really nice to Mishima whenever we hang out and I just want that little guy to get some self confidence in himself because I am a benevolent wise-man MC

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know P3 chat was a few pages ago but I've been playing it again and it's amazing to me that it's the only modern persona game that has the cast do things that don't involve the MC at all, and are allowed to grow and have lives not revolving around you or your actions. Ftw.

A remade (not remastered) P3 would probably be the best persona game, tbh.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wish Persona 5 did more of that with the main cast.

To be fair, all of them are explicitly isolated in one way or another, so it makes sense that they might not have much of a social life outside of the Phantom Thieves. Ryuji was ostracized for attacking a teacher and breaking up the track team; Ann was shunned thanks to the rumors about her and Kamoshida, and because people were intimidated by her looks; Yusuke basically shut himself away to paint and had no other pupils living with him; Makoto was seen as an authority figure/the school admin's lapdog and pretty much only had her sister to talk to; Futaba was a total shut-in; Haru was sheltered because of her wealth and her family's celebrity, not to mention a jealous fiance. But it would be great to see them hanging out with one another even when Joker isn't around. I especially got the feeling that Makoto and Haru were bound to become really close friends--they seemed to bond pretty much right away over their shared struggles and also shared passion for academics. There's also an optional hangout where Joker and Makoto run into Hifumi and they hit it off talking about shogi.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 24, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

freshlybaked posted:

His confidant bonus is a solid A

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I do wish Persona 5 did more of that with the main cast.

To be fair, all of them are explicitly isolated in one way or another, so it makes sense that they might not have much of a social life outside of the Phantom Thieves. Ryuji was ostracized for attacking a teacher and breaking up the track team; Ann was shunned thanks to the rumors about her and Kamoshida, and because people were intimidated by her looks; Yusuke basically shut himself away to paint and had no other pupils living with him; Makoto was seen as an authority figure/the school admin's lapdog and pretty much only had her sister to talk to; Futaba was a total shut-in; Haru was sheltered because of her wealth and her family's celebrity, not to mention a jealous fiance. But it would be great to see them hanging out with one another even when Joker isn't around. I especially got the feeling that Makoto and Haru were bound to become really close friends--they seemed to bond pretty much right away over their shared struggles and also shared passion for academics. There's also an optional hangout where Joker and Makoto run into Hifumi and they hit it off talking about shogi.

I think a big problem is Haru joins just way too late and unlike Naoto she just makes awkward cameos before she joins. There's two events before Haru joins that are purely character interactions that I could see Makoto and Haru just shooting the poo poo in (beach and hawaii) but alas.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

https://twitter.com/Octopimp/status/856317705816637441

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Are there any second awakenings that are improvements over the original, because thus far Makoto loses out on her bitchin' bike and I don't get to hear Ryuji yell out CAPTAIN KIDD anymore and it's severely impacted my enjoyment of this game.

I've only seen Ruyuji's but I have a strong feeling that the rest pale in comparison to their defaults.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

To be fair, all of them are explicitly isolated in one way or another, so it makes sense that they might not have much of a social life outside of the Phantom Thieves.

Frankly Makoto and Haru are the only ones who would even have anything else scheduled, and neither of them could ever say no to an opportunity to beat up shadows in a dungeon.

I guess Goro's kind of an exception, but I'm sure all the daytime TV shows finish taping before After School.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Hawaii date with Makoto really owned, it was def the deciding factor for me dating her. I was stuck between her and Ann and maybe Futaba I guess, but then she was literally the only person who texted me that day so we ate garlic shrimp and she gave me a tiki keychain so that was rad

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Marogareh posted:

I've only seen Ruyuji's but I have a strong feeling that the rest pale in comparison to their defaults.

Morgana's actually fits his archetype of Healer with Wind Magic more than buff dude with rapier.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Count Bleck posted:

Morgana's actually fits his archetype of Healer with Wind Magic more than buff dude with rapier.

Zorro's not even patterned after a cat, he's a fox. :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I think a big problem is Haru joins just way too late and unlike Naoto she just makes awkward cameos before she joins. There's two events before Haru joins that are purely character interactions that I could see Makoto and Haru just shooting the poo poo in (beach and hawaii) but alas.

If there was some way to introduce Haru's social link before she joins, that'd paper over a lot of problems. Though it'd probably be easier in a hypothetical expansion/rerelease to just put some scenes in where Makoto and Haru chat or something.

I'm thinking something like, have Haru's social link start automatically, maybe in August or something, then have a couple of opportunities to help her garden until maybe her fiance forbids her from seeing you again and it's plot-locked until after she joins? You'd have to switch up the early couple of ranks for her confidant but I bet it could be done.

I also hope an expansion/rerelease just adds some scenes that shows the Phantom Thieves being friends outside of hanging out with Joker. Maybe have some situations where, during those optional "go to a place" hangouts, you run into a couple of the other Phantom Thieves hanging out together. Like maybe you go see a goofy action movie with Ryuji and you see Haru and Makoto already there sitting in the row in front of you, or Futaba drags Yusuke out to Akihabara to show him more action figures and you run into them while hanging out there with Mishima.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
people give ryuji took much guff for yelling about how you're the phantom thieves imo because that's his character

meanwhile everyone gets their texts traced by futaba, something that everyone is completely shocked can even happen, and then proceed to just keep talking about all their plans on the exact same compromised chat channel anyway because clearly only futaba can track cell phone data

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The mc is worse about keeping the phantom thieves a secret

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just assumed that Futaba knows how to protect their chats and now they're much more secure. Obviously nobody ever says anything like that but the alternative is that they're all even stupider than we could believe so that's my personal explanation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lakbay posted:

Given that literally everybody you have a Covenant with finds out?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lakbay posted:

Ryuji just kinda yells it like he doesn't care that anyone with ears within a 300" radius can hear. Joker at least tries to be subtle about it and only with people he absolutely trusts.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Ryuji just kinda yells it like he doesn't care that anyone with ears within a 300" radius can hear. Joker at least tries to be subtle about it and only with people he absolutely trusts.

Given how the confidants go Joker ends up as subtle as a brick to the face

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

NRVNQSR posted:

Frankly Makoto and Haru are the only ones who would even have anything else scheduled, and neither of them could ever say no to an opportunity to beat up shadows in a dungeon.

I guess Goro's kind of an exception, but I'm sure all the daytime TV shows finish taping before After School.

Doesn't Ann have her model work too? It's sorta the crux of her social link after all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, and I think the implication is that after the Kamoshida situation is over, Ann makes more friends at school or at least more people at school want to be her friend. Like people really want to hang out with her in Hawaii (though part of that is because she can speak English better than the rest of them.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

This.

Shouting it in public is way different to trying, and failing sometimes, to be subtle about it and having go out on a limb when you need to do something for the person which ultimately reveals you, at which point there's a large trust between Joker and the confidant.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jimmydalad posted:

Doesn't Ann have her model work too? It's sorta the crux of her social link after all.

Yeah, but it is literally a hobby for her she only got into because her parents are involved with fashion. She definitely would cancel a shoot to go dungeon diving no question.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Anyone who wouldn't drop everything to steal hearts with the rest of the gang doesn't have the rebel's heart needed to summon a Persona.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

Ryuji just kinda yells it like he doesn't care that anyone with ears within a 300" radius can hear.

The sad part is this is also used to advance the plot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This.

Shouting it in public is way different to trying, and failing sometimes, to be subtle about it and having go out on a limb when you need to do something for the person which ultimately reveals you, at which point there's a large trust between Joker and the confidant.

Additionally, Joker really doesn't do it until he feels that he can't just stand by and watch his friends' miserable situations get even worse - Ryuji on the other hand is real bad at OpSec and almost gives up the ghost to random folks in the name of popularity a handful of times.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean if we're going by 'bad at OpSec' lets talk about how the gang uses unencrypted text chains to casually talk about literally everything. And how no one except Futaba seems to understand how this 'internet' thing works

Like that whole scene when they first have Alibaba get into their poo poo, none of them seem to even understand how any sort of digital communication works.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Most people don't even think the phantom thieves exist, until they become super popular and then you hear about all kinds of people claiming to be phantom thieves to pick up chicks or whatever so I guess who cares?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

If you think about it in reality though imagine you were out at a nice restaurant and a dude who was as brash and annoying as Ryuji was claiming he was a Phantom Thief. Seems like most people would just ignore it or assume he is trying to play himself up. I think that's actually part of the most interesting part, everyone assumes there are essentially super heroes out there but it's just a bunch of regular people banding together to cover each others weaknesses. Wow this game is going to make me have an existential crisis.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Needs a pervy Ryuji sneaking into frame three 8.5/10 it's ok