Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RJWaters2 posted:

The tape is not the crime anymore. He's off to the hoosgow for breaking and entering and destruction of property.

Jimmy broke down the door because he feared Chuck was having a mental health crisis.

Chuck was in a really bad place. Jimmy thought his :airquote: story :airquote: helped, but he learns from Ernesto that it didn’t.

He believed that Chuck was an imminent risk to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Chuck is actually the one who is right in this whole thing tho

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TBeats posted:

Chuck is actually the one who is right in this whole thing tho

And this is why this is one of the best written shows on tv.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Platystemon posted:

Jimmy broke down the door because he feared Chuck was having a mental health crisis.

Chuck was in a really bad place. Jimmy thought his :airquote: story :airquote: helped, but he learns from Ernesto that it didn’t.

That's fine--until he calls Chuck a piece of poo poo and breaks into his desk and finds the tape (or what he believes to be the tape) and starts unreeling it in front of witnesses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like Tony Soprano, Jimmy is a likable rear end in a top hat (and a criminal, though nowhere near as bad ofc), so I get rooting for him and I do too myself. But this doesn't mean everyone else is a horrible monster. Jimmy blew it at the other law firm where he was recommended by Chuck/Hamlin(?), and then made Chuck look like an incompetent moron in front of the client by attacking the one thing Chuck prides himself on, while knowing he's in a fragile mental state. All to win a client for his girlfriend through fraud that she'd have trouble actually managing herself. What a guy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Already covered in the thread I'm sure, but Kim knowing about it and benefiting from it makes her an accessory. I'm sure Howard or whoever will find a way to bring Kim down if Chuck goes down, and that'll be the final straw for Jimmy.

I'm not sure how it'd work though, having Kim go down for accessory to a crime that Jimmy didn't get tried for.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Like Tony Soprano, Jimmy is a likable rear end in a top hat (and a criminal, though nowhere near as bad ofc), so I get rooting for him and I do too myself. But this doesn't mean everyone else is a horrible monster. Jimmy blew it at the other law firm where he was recommended by Chuck/Hamlin(?), and then made Chuck look like an incompetent moron in front of the client by attacking the one thing Chuck prides himself on, while knowing he's in a fragile mental state. All to win a client for his girlfriend through fraud that she'd have trouble actually managing herself. What a guy.

i thought jimmy committing fraud to get back what chuck took from kim by just being good at his job was a pretty good comparison of jimmy and chuck.

jimmy's goal with the fraud was the exact same as chuck's "Yeah I would go with Kim too! *wink wink*" sales pitch and i'm surprised this point doesn't get talked about more.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

After Chuck told him that his degree is a joke, that he's an insult to the profession and prevented him from having a career at HHM. Then HHM demoted his girlfriend because Jimmy ran a tacky commercial and when she landed a big client to redeem herself they ignored her.

THEN Jimmy embarrassed Chuck and made sure his girlfriend could leave with the client she herself landed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chuck's an rear end in a top hat too, just a smug one unlike Jimmy which is why everyone hates him. You could trace their history back to when they were playing in a sandbox, but the tl;dr is that none of that poo poo above is illegal fraud, just bad management at most.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Why did Don Eladio let Hector take a piss in his pool

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Does Jimmy still have medical power of attorney over Chuck?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

That's fine--until he calls Chuck a piece of poo poo and breaks into his desk and finds the tape (or what he believes to be the tape) and starts unreeling it in front of witnesses.
Once again, the defense for that is "I was upset at my mentally ill brother for using his illness as a way to manipulate me emotionally because he couldn't fathom the idea that he made a mistake. This was a family dispute with no illegal activity taking place."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Chuck's an rear end in a top hat too, just a smug one unlike Jimmy which is why everyone hates him. You could trace their history back to when they were playing in a sandbox, but the tl;dr is that none of that poo poo above is illegal fraud, just bad management at most.
Legality is a poor measure of right and wrong. What Jimmy did was illegal, but what HHM/Chuck did to Kim/Jimmy could still be worse or equivalent.

It's hard to tell because it's definitely more galling, and Chuck is so unsympathetic that it's hard to see Jimmy's deception as being that bad in the end, when it was really emotionally lovely for Chuck.

The point is, saying HHM/Chuck did nothing illegal has little bearing on how sympathetic and "right" they are. Likewise, Jimmy breaking the law isn't what makes him wrong. His willingness to not care and be irresponsible in general are what make him "wrong," and illegal stuff is only tangentially related to that. The fact that Jimmy was trying to fix a perceived injustice against his girlfriend is way more sympathetic and possibly "better" than HHM just bureaucratically making GBS threads on Kim, even if Jimmy committed a crime and HHM didn't.

But talking about legal matters:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Once again, the defense for that is "I was upset at my mentally ill brother for using his illness as a way to manipulate me emotionally because he couldn't fathom the idea that he made a mistake. This was a family dispute with no illegal activity taking place."
Breaking and entering is still illegal, even in a family dispute. Jimmy can have the most sympathetic and reasonable motivation in the world, but when Chuck says "you can't come in, go away" and Jimmy breaks down the door... the context doesn't mitigate anything, that's breaking and entering.

And even if you want to say he broke down the door because he was worried for his brother (which nothing he says supports), breaking into a locked drawer is also a crime, and there's really no spinning that.

Though thinking about it, if he was to really stress the "concern for his brother" angle, he could say he learned there was an electronic recording device and was scared for his brother's health. He'd have to get the witness allegations about what he was saying dismissed, but the "safety" angle seems like it has more legs than the manipulation angle. As a bonus this might get Chuck to call expert witnesses calling electromagnetic sensitivity bullshit.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 24, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's a reply to it, but I'm not sure it's a defense. If I'm a juror and he convinces me he broke in because he was legit worried about Chuck's well-being and that was the only way apparent way to deal with the situation, fine. I would sit there and listen and think, he did what he had to do. I would have done the same thing. Any of us would. I just don't see that he has that available to him because of what he did once he got inside.

If he tells me he's upset at Chuck over emotional manipulation, then, well, what he did doesn't seem entirely consistent with that either. I guess it comes closer to something that might be feasible, though, and maybe Jimmy can sell it if he needs to. But even if I believe it, I'm far less likely to be sympathetic. I'm sitting there thinking, okay, but you're a grown-rear end man. You should act like it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I bet you're all wrong and chuck drops the charges.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Somehow, someway, squat cobbler will save the day.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
When I say "defense" I'm talking about the things that Jimmy can legally do (not that I believe his options are that limited) to defend himself in front of a jury of his peers in a court of law. His defense will be that the break and enter, the destruction of property, and the threat to burn the house down, are all made not in a premeditated attempt to commit or cover up a crime, but as an impassioned response to being wronged by a family member. They are crimes, but let's talk proportionality. Let's talk justice. Chuck and the prosecution will argue that Jimmy's actions are those of a guilty man wanting to cover up his actions. Chuck's earnest belief was that his brother would attempt to steal the tape in the dead of night, and the prosecution will try to pretend that what Jimmy did is functionally no different from if he had. But it fundamentally is.
There is no reasonable doubt as to what Jimmy did in front of those witnesses. But there is plenty of reasonable doubt as to why he did it. In this case, being caught in the cover-up does not prove the crime, the switch from 1261 to 1216. And that's where Jimmy starts doing things like calling Howard to the stand and asking him what he really thought when Chuck played the tape for him and had him go along with this crazy plan that had him run through a backyard and over a fence. And having that doctor come in and testify about the provable psychosomatic nature of Chuck's illness, demonstrating the lengths Chuck will go to to convince others and himself that he is not mentally fallible, be it a mental illness or a filing error. Then we get into Chuck's first betrayal: keeping Jimmy from HHM and having Howard be the fall guy. The lengths Jimmy went to to take care of Chuck for a year and a half. How much he obviously loves his brother. And how despite everything, Chuck blames him for everything terrible in his life. It's enough to make anybody bust down a door and commit minor property damage. That doesn't make them not crimes, but are you gonna disbar him for that? Hell no.

All of the above requires one thing: Never give into guilt. Jimmy must never show that he is even entertaining the notion that anything on that tape was anything other than a man desperately trying to talk his brother off the ledge. As long as Chuck is truly dead to Jimmy, Jimmy will win this case.

except

How would Chuck have known involving Ernie would work if he didn't know that Ernie had lied to him about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whether Ernie lied about calling Jimmy to cover for him, or really did call Jimmy out of concern regarding Chuck's behavior, it works either way for Chuck to get to Jimmy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

Whether Ernie lied about calling Jimmy to cover for him, or really did call Jimmy out of concern regarding Chuck's behavior, it works either way.
How? Why would Chuck use Ernie if it was the latter? The whole point was that he was pretending to still trust Ernie over Jimmy when he knew for a fact he couldn't.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

TBeats posted:

I bet you're all wrong and chuck drops the charges.

Not in his nature. Chuck doesn't sweep things under the rug. My guess is that Jimmy will use the "concern for my brother" defense and Chuck will then give the prosecutor every bit of family dirt he has, p[perhaps even destroying Kim to hurt Jimmy. I see this being at best a Pyrrhic victory for Chuck, as even if he wins, his reputation will be in tatters and Hamlin might have no choice but to have Chuck retire.

Chuck is not someone who I see walks away from this series intact.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PassTheRemote posted:

Chuck is not someone who I see walks away from this series intact.
Nope. Chuck may "win" his vendetta against Jimmy, but it's going to destroy his career, his family, and whatever's left of his sanity.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

When I say "defense" I'm talking about the things that Jimmy can legally do (not that I believe his options are that limited) to defend himself in front of a jury of his peers in a court of law. His defense will be that the break and enter, the destruction of property, and the threat to burn the house down, are all made not in a premeditated attempt to commit or cover up a crime, but as an impassioned response to being wronged by a family member. They are crimes, but let's talk proportionality. Let's talk justice. Chuck and the prosecution will argue that Jimmy's actions are those of a guilty man wanting to cover up his actions. Chuck's earnest belief was that his brother would attempt to steal the tape in the dead of night, and the prosecution will try to pretend that what Jimmy did is functionally no different from if he had. But it fundamentally is.

How would Chuck have known involving Ernie would work if he didn't know that Ernie had lied to him about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop?

The way I see it, the main thing is that he's still on the hook for B&E no matter why he did it. If he's distraught, I don't see that that gives him anything more than the basis for a plea for leniency. I do think his behavior at Chuck's house is indeed that of a guilty man who wants to cover up his crime--there's no way to avoid the appearance that that's what was going on. But if Jimmy ends up having to address that point, I think we all know he has the imagination and theatrical skills and chutzpah to come up with a story and sell it.

I guess what I'm saying, overall, is that this isn't going to play out in a straightforward way where viewers can simply evaluate the situation as we see it now and predict something. I expect that he's going to end up pulling some kind of razzle-dazzle bullshit to squirm his way out of this. The guy who said squat cobbler will save the day is probably right, only this time it'll be more ambitious and more audacious.

As far as Ernie goes, I think he probably trusts Kim more than anyone else, so it's reasonable that he'd go to her after what must have been a fairly bewildering experience with Chuck. As to whether that would have been a factor in Chuck's thinking, that's a different question.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

The way I see it, the main thing is that he's still on the hook for B&E no matter why he did it. If he's distraught, I don't see that that gives him anything more than the basis for a plea for leniency. I do think his behavior at Chuck's house is indeed that of a guilty man who wants to cover up his crime--there's no way to avoid the appearance that that's what was going on. But if Jimmy ends up having to address that point, I think we all know he has the imagination and theatrical skills and chutzpah to come up with a story and sell it.
The basis for a plea for leniency is all he needs. There's no legal way for Jimmy McGill to come out of this clean. I'm arguing that there's a way for Jimmy to go at this, specifically because of how he confronted Chuck rather than try to steal the tape like Chuck had predicted, that will ultimately lead to this ending with Chuck's downfall and the end of the McGill name, rather than a situation where Jimmy is made to change his name by HHM like we've been predicting would happen since the first freakin' episode.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The basis for a plea for leniency is all he needs. There's no legal way for Jimmy McGill to come out of this clean. I'm arguing that there's a way for Jimmy to go at this, specifically because of how he confronted Chuck rather than try to steal the tape like Chuck had predicted, that will ultimately lead to this ending with Chuck's downfall and the end of the McGill name, rather than a situation where Jimmy is made to change his name by HHM like we've been predicting would happen since the first freakin' episode.

Okay, then, I'm fine with that--but with the provision that even if there's no legal way for Jimmy to come out of it clean, that doesn't mean he's going to feel limited to using legal tactics.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Okay, then, I'm fine with that--but with the provision that even if there's no legal way for Jimmy to come out of it clean, that doesn't mean he's going to feel limited to using legal tactics.
I mean he's still gonna be lying through his teeth under oath and that kid at the copy shop is probably gonna be called in to testify so that'll have to be dealt with, and then there's the matter of Ernie who, again, lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop and all three of them know it. There's some things that are gonna have to be dealt with outside of a courtroom. But I would love it so much if that was kept to a minimum, because as much as Jimmy loves to take shortcuts in many, many avenues of his life, there is nothing he relishes more than the slow burn of convincing people, and if this trial is gonna be the birth of Saul Goodman, which I'd be shocked if it wasn't, I want Jimmy to enjoy it as much as possible, because that's how I think we get to the man we see in Breaking Bad.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The courtroom scenes are going to be the loving poo poo and I can't wait

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean he's still gonna be lying through his teeth under oath and that kid at the copy shop is probably gonna be called in to testify so that'll have to be dealt with, and then there's the matter of Ernie who, again, lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop and all three of them know it. There's some things that are gonna have to be dealt with outside of a courtroom. But I would love it so much if that was kept to a minimum, because as much as Jimmy loves to take shortcuts in many, many avenues of his life, there is nothing he relishes more than the slow burn of convincing people, and if this trial is gonna be the birth of Saul Goodman, which I'd be shocked if it wasn't, I want Jimmy to enjoy it as much as possible, because that's how I think we get to the man we see in Breaking Bad.

Sounds reasonable.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

yes

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Colonel Whitey posted:

Chuck, coming to the realization that he's about to lose the case, starts having some sort of outburst in court. Officers are forced to tase him to bring him under control, sending him into a psycho-coma like before and requiring hospitalization. On the way to the hospital, his ambulance goes through a storm and is struck by lightning.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jimmy should just commit Chuck, that would fix a lot.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

You are all assuming he is going to call the police or whatever

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

It certainly looks like Chuck's building up a criminal case, yes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RJWaters2 posted:

The tape is not the crime anymore. He's off to the hoosgow for breaking and entering and destruction of property.
And then this, yeah. The tape don't mean poo poo anymore.

Platystemon posted:

That flies for breaking in when the tape was made. Not when he broke in to destroy it. The whole case now has nothing to do with the tape incident aside from it being the reason he committed a second series of crimes.

lifts cats over head posted:

Somehow, <clap clap> someway, <clap clap> squat cobbler will save the day.
Somehow, <clap clap> someway, <clap clap> squat cobbler will save the day.
You've just written the best parody protest chant ever.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

Maybe not, but he's at least going to use the possibility as leverage. Or try to, anyway. Either way, Jimmy's going to have to evaluate his position in terms of facing criminal charges.

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 25, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

And then this, yeah. The tape don't mean poo poo anymore.

That flies for breaking in when the tape was made. Not when he broke in to destroy it. The whole case now has nothing to do with the tape incident aside from it being the reason he committed a second series of crimes.
That's not how this works at all. Chuck's entire plan was to get Jimmy to prove that the tape was real by trying to steal it. Chuck told Howard "my brother broke the law" not "my brother is about to break the law."

Also come on, of course Chuck's gonna call the police, why wouldn't the hell wouldn't he?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the only way Chuck can get Jimmy is if he can get Kim to admit it was fraud.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

The week 3 trailers heavily imply the police are called and the DA is involved. Why would jimmy grab the book of matches with the bail bondsman's number or why would chuck be discussing charges with someone?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's not how this works at all. Chuck's entire plan was to get Jimmy to prove that the tape was real by trying to steal it. Chuck told Howard "my brother broke the law" not "my brother is about to break the law."

Also come on, of course Chuck's gonna call the police, why wouldn't the hell wouldn't he?
None of that goes against what I said. Jimmy can very easily wriggle out of the tape. "My brother is mentally ill and I said something that ended his episode." Unfortunately, he committed a second series of crimes that were witnessed by two other people, and there's really no easy way out of that.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I think the only way Chuck can get Jimmy is if he can get Kim to admit it was fraud.

Kim's his lawyer now, she doesn't have to say poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can't wait for tonight's episode, rewatching the first two already.

• Locked thread