Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rirse posted:

Oh man, looks like Vanquish is coming to Steam soon, as Bayonetta had a small patch with a picture of the Vanquish main character.

You just made my loving week. Not even kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kanfy posted:

Can't wait for the announcement of a Vanquish DLC outfit for Bayonetta.
:f5h::eyepop::fh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

Oh man, looks like Vanquish is coming to Steam soon, as Bayonetta had a small patch with a picture of the Vanquish main character.

You understand that many people will destroy you with vicious kung fu moves if you're wrong about this.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rirse posted:

Have people discerned what the patch is for?

Also you better not be loving wrong, son! :mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mindblast posted:

Have people discerned what the patch is for?

Also you better not be loving wrong, son! :mad:

Oxxidation posted:

You understand that many people will destroy you with vicious kung fu moves if you're wrong about this.
It's real. The patch is literally just placing the extra image in the Extras folder.

It's in Extras/Avatars/STEAM_AVATARS_184x184_SAM1.jpg, if you want to confirm for yourself.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just bought SOMA for 10 bux since it was on my wishlist and Steam reminded me of that. Did I make a good choice?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Anti-Hero posted:

I just bought SOMA for 10 bux since it was on my wishlist and Steam reminded me of that. Did I make a good choice?

That's a great deal for a good game imo

Hawke
May 1, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I enjoyed it, it's a really good story for that price.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

I agree, frankly. I enjoyed the game with FAR helping out, but there really should be more from the devs than a post on March 22 saying "hey we're totally looking into the bugs guys" with nothing after.

Especially since it's a Platinum joint and they've done really well with PC ports before.

edit: also FAR isn't really a complete fix, cause some of the updates have introduced slowdown, made the game not start at all, or introduced other errors. It's a really well-made workaround, but it's still just a workaround.

The port wasn't done by Platinum, it's from Square Enix who has an extremely spotty track record. If it makes you feel any better, the PS4 version hasn't had any of its performance issues fixed.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

Yes. Maybe consider installing the mod that lets you just ignore the "spend forever sneaking and hiding around a monster" segments though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dmboogie posted:

Yes. Maybe consider installing the mod that lets you just ignore the "spend forever sneaking and hiding around a monster" segments though.

I'm probably going to do a second playthrough soon and I am definitely planning on using that mod. Assuming we're talking about the one that renders the encounters harmless.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mill Village posted:

The port wasn't done by Platinum, it's from Square Enix who has an extremely spotty track record. If it makes you feel any better, the PS4 version hasn't had any of its performance issues fixed.

Ahhh that explains it kind of. I originally moved to PC from the PS4 around the beginning of part 2 because of the frameskipping. It doesn't make me feel better though cause I'd prefer if people were just able to play a real cool game problem free.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

dmboogie posted:

Or grow up and crap your pants

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sounds like Nier is a piece of poo poo worthless port, what a shame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't think it was monumentally broken or anything, just... not a very good port for what shouldn't even be a graphically demanding game. Enough frustrating things about it that I requested a refund to see if anything would get fixed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deakul posted:

Yep. Luckily there's a fan patch that fixes it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deakul posted:

Its has like two minor technical issues that had work arounds out the day after release.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Although to be fair thats all it takes for steam users to start slammin that thumbs down button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Not being able to play in fullscreen native resolution, cutscenes running at 20 FPS, and persistent hitching are more than minor technical issues, it's like programming 101 and I don't think anybody should be blamed for not putting down their 60bux toward that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure, but the fullscreen thing and the cutscenes are easily fixed and the hitching is present in the ps4 version (so not a port issue). Not saying it doesn't deserve a refund, but on the scale of bad ports its not so bad.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Just looked it up and Vanquish has QTEs so that's another skip for me when that comes out.

One day devs will learn some players straight up hate those things.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Futuresight posted:

Just looked it up and Vanquish has QTEs so that's another skip for me when that comes out.

Did you know that there are games that do this well as well as ones that do it poorly?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MMF Freeway posted:

Sure, but the fullscreen thing and the cutscenes are easily fixed and the hitching is present in the ps4 version (so not a port issue). Not saying it doesn't deserve a refund, but on the scale of bad ports its not so bad.

What's the fix for the cutscenes? It only bothers me a little, but would be cool if I could get them non-choppy. Already using FAR.

Also would like to say that the Nier A port + FAR looks and preforms way better than at least non-pro PS4.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Junkie Disease posted:

Did you know that there are games that do this well as well as ones that do it poorly?

Literally not possible for me.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone have any opinions on Beholder? It sort of reminds me of Papers, Please and that was awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All games where you have to press a button at a particular moment are QTEs, when you think about it.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Life is just a series of QTEs

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Charles Get-Out posted:

What's the fix for the cutscenes? It only bothers me a little, but would be cool if I could get them non-choppy. Already using FAR.

Also would like to say that the Nier A port + FAR looks and preforms way better than at least non-pro PS4.

For me FAR fixed the cutscenes. I was using borderless gaming at first for the resolution and when I switched to FAR I immediately saw the difference. I think its listed as one of the issues its supposed to address so I figured it fixed them for everyone. I should note though the cutscenes never ran at 20fps for me, rather they ran at 30 but with noticeably off frame pacing (I dunno if that's the right term but they looked choppy without the framerate tanking).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bentacos posted:

Life is just a series of QTEs

…unless you're making chili — that's more of an STE.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Futuresight posted:

you should tell the vanquish devs that hot take back in 2010

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bunky posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Beholder? It sort of reminds me of Papers, Please and that was awesome.

Beholder is a game in the Papers Please realm but I couldn't connect with it. I adored Papers Please and have replayed through it a few times, but with Beholder I have tried to get into it 3 different times and each time just stopped playing. Not frustrated or disappointed or anything just that thing where you are doing something and you don't remember the last minute. Another friend of mine loves Beholder though so ymmv.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
NIer Automata is a mediocre PC port with two or three MASSIVE fuckups. I have a Poor PC (950 and i3), and I played through most of the game on 720p and with fullscreen issues. Now, I know it's a Poor PC, but FAR made me get 60FPS at 1080p and no upres issues, so it really shouldn't be released without those minor fixes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Futuresight posted:

Until you can point to a game that was sunk critically and commercially by QTEs, they ain't gon give a poo poo.

Hey look, Weeklong Deals are here again!

Neato Keen
The Stronghold Collection (review) - For God's sake get this if you've never besieged a proper castle
A Story About My Uncle (review) - A decent first-person grappling-hook adventure through some beautiful environments
Ziggurat (review) - About as good as FPS roguelikes get
Anodyne (review) - Lovely little Zelda-style adventure through dream worlds
Super 3-D Noah's Ark (review) - Admit it, you always wanted to play Wolf3D with gazelles and watermelon launchers
Overture (review) - Unambitious arena roguelike with some neat classes
Schein (review) - Very challenging puzzle platformer with a light gimmick

Not So Keen
Kholat (review) - It's pretty but you're still just finding journal pages

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Futuresight posted:

Literally not possible for me.

That just means you're skipping out on a great game for stupid reasons. Sucks to be you.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The Kins posted:

It's real. The patch is literally just placing the extra image in the Extras folder.

It's in Extras/Avatars/STEAM_AVATARS_184x184_SAM1.jpg, if you want to confirm for yourself.

aw yisssssssssssssssss

Even better, SEGA seems to be dropping mysterious hints that Bayo 3 may actually be happening. For example, Platinum uploaded a few videos to their channel recently that all seem to repeat three times. Check it out yourselves.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"I won't personally like it" is not a stupid reason. Not a big deal, but it's annoying that there's a whole bunch of games and almost entire genres that are ruined for me by this stuff that doesn't need to be in it. If it was the entire game not being to my taste then whatever, but unnecessary QTEs that sit adjacent to the actual gameplay ruining it for me is frustrating.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blattdorf posted:

aw yisssssssssssssssss

Even better, SEGA seems to be dropping mysterious hints that Bayo 3 may actually be happening. For example, Platinum uploaded a few videos to their channel recently that all seem to repeat three times. Check it out yourselves.

2017 is the year when games decided to make up for how poo poo everything else is. Thank you, Games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder how Vanquish will play with a mouse? I can always force myself to play with a gamepad but wouldn't having mouse control in Vanquish make it a ton easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Can't wait to finally get my hands on Vanquish... and then be disappointed because I was too hyped.

• Locked thread