Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've got something for you guys to chew on.

What if a good thing... is actually bad?

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

GotG has the advantage in perfocmances and pacing, but it's humour and script are about as bad as with HGttG. The latter on the other hand has visual design and direction that makes GotG look like amateur hour (and makes its own mediocrity doubly tragic).

I'm reposting this because everytime I look at the picture of Yondu I find it just a bit funnier. Those guys in the back especially.

Again, you're stating your opinion as though it's objective fact. You gotta work on that. Hitchhiker's Guide managed to make me bored with Sam Rockwell and Martin Freeman, whereas Guardians made a sentient tree and a professional wrestler engaging, memorable characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've got something for you guys to chew on.

What if a good thing... is actually bad?

Makes you think.

What if the bad thing is real good? And peoples brains are broken?

Mak u tinnk

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Again, you're stating your opinion as though it's objective fact. You gotta work on that. Hitchhiker's Guide managed to make me bored with Sam Rockwell and Martin Freeman, whereas Guardians made a sentient tree and a professional wrestler engaging, memorable characters.

I've never claimed that HGttG doesn't waste good actors, or that the sentient tree and the professional wrestler in GotG aren't compelling, so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I've never claimed that HGttG doesn't waste good actors, or that the sentient tree and the professional wrestler in GotG aren't compelling, so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up.

Hitchhiker's Guide = so bad it makes good things bad.

Guardians = so good it makes not necessarily good things great.

The two films are not comparable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Drifter posted:

It's not that the MCU is unpopular, it's just that it's generally recognized to be, as has been said before, unimaginative, mindless mostly-fun on a per-movie basis. There's nothing to talk about since the plots and characters are mishmashes of inadequacy and lack of depth, and the movies themselves are shot in such a way as to be the most uninteresting visual representation of each scene there could be.

Pretty much all you can say about most of the MCU (please dear god Back Panther and Thor break this pattern) is "Hey, look at all these characters right here, standing there doing...stuff, I guess!"

As always, take my post with a grain of internet hyperbolic salt. Of course, for reference my favorite MCU movies are Winter Soldier and IM 1 and to a lesser extent Dr Strange - mostly for its different take on punching -, plus the Black Panther and Spidey scenes in Civil War.

I actually completely agree with this. The MCU is junk food. I love junk food but sometimes I want a good steak.

I remember wondering if the reason BvS was getting a more "sympathetic" response in here was because people were tired of MCU junk food and wanted something a bit more...ambitious, even if Snyder's reach exceeds his grasp.

That's why I got Watchmen, really. I wanted a superhero movie that actually had something to say, ya know?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I actually completely agree with this. The MCU is junk food. I love junk food but sometimes I want a good steak.

I remember wondering if the reason BvS was getting a more "sympathetic" response in here was because people were tired of MCU junk food and wanted something a bit more...ambitious, even if Snyder's reach exceedshis grasp.

That's why I got Watchman, really. I wanted a superhero movie that actually had something to say, ya know?

Nah, Batman v Superman is an absolute blast whether or not you compare it to some other franchise. Obviously some people didn't like it, but liking it doesn't need any qualifiers or to be driven only by comparison: some people just like different things. I like it for the same reasons I liked the movies Zack Snyder had been making since before the MCU existed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Phylodox posted:

Did you not see the visual evidence? In HHGttG, people stand on fields like this, in GotG people stand on fields like this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, Batman v Superman is an absolute blast whether or not you compare it to some other franchise. Obviously some people didn't like it, but liking it doesn't need any qualifiers or to be driven only by comparison: some people just like different things. I like it for the same reasons I liked the movies Zack Snyder had been making since before the MCU existed.

Batman v Superman is a steak dinner where the waiter forgets to take your order for an hour, and then when it comes out the steak is overcooked.

Yeah, it's not junkfood, but it's neither what you paid for nor particularly good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Can someone please post an assessment of every Batman movie from 1987 to The Dark Knight Rises using only food metaphors?

Thanks in advance.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Can someone please post an assessment of every Batman movie from 1987 to The Dark Knight Rises using only food metaphors?

Thanks in advance.

Only if you promise me that we will get into an argument about the food used in the metaphors and how it's really bad/good food.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Batman v Superman is a steak dinner where the waiter forgets to take your order for an hour, and then when it comes out the steak is overcooked.

Yeah, it's not junkfood, but it's neither what you paid for nor particularly good.

Odd to see BvS being represented as not being what you paid for, considering all the complaints about how revealing the trailers were. I get not liking it, but being surprised at what you got, after all Snyder's other films and the trailers, is a bit ridiculous.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Generally you can be surprised at how terrible a movie is even if you know most of what's going to happen in it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Dark Knight is a steak dinner where the steak is a little dry and overdone, but the baked potato is the best you've ever had.

The broccoli is half raw and half overcooked mush, weirdly enough. :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Batman '89 is a Happy Meal made by Heston Blumenthal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I find it tragic that My Friend Dahmer will probably not playing within a thousand kilometre radius of me, let alone anywhere I can reasonably travel to catch a movie. I loved the comic, so waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray is going to be annoying.

Phylodox posted:

They actually are. Both are sci-fi comedies that adapt pop culture works revolving around journeys in space and between planets, with a band of misfits evading authorities and ugly monsters. One has visual design and direction that makes the other look like amateur hour, despite being nine years older than the other, having a first-time film director and quarter the budget, and lacking the 24/7 supervision and support of the world's greatest and most influential entertainment giant and a subsidiary brand/media division that is one of the most successful in recorded history.

Being shown up by good movies is understandable. Being shown-up by the 2005 Hitch-Hiker's movie is just sad. That's why I also made a point of comparing GotG to good movies, too. I could point out obvious things like how poor GotG's visual comedy is (symptomatic of MCU movies), to the point where any more side-by-side comparisons with Hot Fuzz would be like throwing a kid into a tiger-pit. I could point out how bad some of the design and direction are. Like Knowhere, where much awe is reserved for something that just looks hazy and indistinct from the nebula fog that dominates the scene, and any impression is quickly forgotten because the inside of the place never plays on that body dynamic.

You seem to be making a big deal about how GotG made a talking tree and a professional wrestler compelling characters, which just reminds of the talk about how audacious Marvel was when it included a talking raccoon in a movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 25, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Strobe posted:

Time for another derail about how Batman is poo poo because he only eats a steak well done and is canonically incapable of cooking a steak in an iron skillet even though that is the easiest thing to do on earth.

Thanks in advance.

The Batman and Robin - Under-cooked pork belly.
Batman: The Movie - A chicken-fried pork chop.
Batman - Pork Wellington.
Batman Returns - Two pounds of pulled pork.
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - A braised pork tenderloin.
Batman Forever - Microwaved bacon.
Batman and Robin - A can of SPAM® Jalapeño.
Batman Begins - An un-glazed ham.
The Dark Knight - A Coca Cola-glazed ham.
Batman: Gotham Knight - A quarter pound of prosciutto.
The Dark Knight Rises - Canadian bacon.
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice - Pig's feet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Whenever anyone says anything thing is bad, I just use this forum's Zack Snyder defense: Anything bad was actually meant to be bad, therefore is above criticism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

Whenever anyone says anything thing is bad, I just use this forum's Zack Snyder defense: Anything bad was actually meant to be bad, therefore is above criticism.

Well yeah. Batman being bad in BvS, for example, was completely intentional; him being an antagonist is a pretty big part of the movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Literally everything you say is either your opinion presented as objective fact or comical hyperbole. Like, ever. Guardians of the Galaxy is a fine looking and quite funny film. You saying it isn't doesn't somehow make it so.

Davros1 posted:

No, no, no. Thing being bad is actually cutting satire of other thing that is good bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Literally everything you say is either your opinion presented as objective fact or comical hyperbole. Like, ever. Guardians of the Galaxy is a fine looking and quite funny film. You saying it isn't doesn't somehow make it so.

I've not merely said that it's a dull movie, I've shown it to be so, with quite damning visual evidence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I've not merely said that it's a dull movie, I've shown it with quite damning evidence.

Can you compare Guardians and Hitchhiker's using a ham-based metaphor?

That's really the only way I can wrap my head around it.

TIA.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I've not merely said that it's a dull movie, I've shown it with quite damning evidence.

I must have entirely missed that part in your literal mountain of words about a movie you claim to hate.

Allow me to rebut: you've shown nothing, merely stated your opinion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

No, no, no. Thing being bad is actually cutting satire of other thing that is good bad.

No that's Michael Bay

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was filmed bad on purpose, as a joke.

quote:

lol

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phylodox posted:

I must have entirely missed that part in your literal mountain of words about a movie you claim to hate.

But don't you see how the deadlocked bureaucracy is so magnificently represented by the huddled Vogon hordes in the first image? Guardians doesn't have any of that cinematic masturbation going on, and is therefore objectively inferior. Somehow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strobe posted:

cinematic masturbation

Okay I've not given two shits about this because I deeply, truly, do not care about Guardians

But using this phrase in response to good visual design in a movie is really goddamn stupid and you might want to rethink your position a bit.

How dare this movie be so needlessly self indulgent that it has actual visual style and flare beyond the most basic and bare bones of filming techniques.

You get what I'm saying here? You're going too far the other direction.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

[...] and lacking the 24/7 supervision and support of the world's greatest and most influential entertainment giant and a subsidiary brand/media division that is one of the most successful in recorded history.

When have these things ever helped?

Also, you pretty much admitted that HHGttG's characters are bland and whatnot, so you might pretty please try not to be in insufferably smug douchebag about it's superiority. It has some shots that are nicer than some shots from GotG, we get it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Strobe posted:

But don't you see how the deadlocked bureaucracy is so magnificently represented by the huddled Vogon hordes in the first image? Guardians doesn't have any of that cinematic masturbation going on, and is therefore objectively inferior. Somehow.

Did you notice how nobody has actually managed to praise the film's cinematic qualities?

Note: repeating that you don't care over and over is not praise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wyoming posted:

Well the bad news is you've seen the peak of the show, so it's all downhill from there.
The good news is, that scene is such a high loving peak.

It's clever, bizarre, and sometimes gorgeous series that's worth checking out, but overall I found it disappointing.
Like, I could not possibly care less about what happens next, and considering the dream teamup at the end, that's a pretty big sin.

The Bolero scene I can watch over and over again though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4
:allears:

I hadn't watched Legion because I really disliked the comic version. I just watched that clip and it's a distillation of everything I hated.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Burkion posted:

Okay I've not given two shits about this because I deeply, truly, do not care about Guardians

But using this phrase in response to good visual design in a movie is really goddamn stupid and you might want to rethink your position a bit.

How dare this movie be so needlessly self indulgent that it has actual visual style and flare beyond the most basic and bare bones of filming techniques.

You get what I'm saying here? You're going too far the other direction.

You seem to have confused my sarcastic response with an actual opinion that I hold. I was mocking BravestOfTheLamps's insistence that a superficially similar comparison shot between two movies with wildly different attitudes is damning evidence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One has visual design and direction that makes the other look like amateur hour, despites being nine years older than the other, having a first-time film director and quarter the budget, and lacking the 24/7 supervision and support of the world's greatest and most influential entertainment giant and a subsidiary brand/media division that is one of the most successful in recorded history.

HHG2G is a Disney film, actually. Buena Vista specifically, but definitely Disney.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hadn't watched Legion because I really disliked the comic version. I just watched that clip and it's a distillation of everything I hated.

Care to elaborate any? I know nothing of the character and watching that clip it at least looked pretty interesting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

As I showed with screencaps from the movie, GotG is a unimaginative, inambitious, and murky movie. There's plenty of pictorial evidence of that. Compare for example the kind of visual gag you can find in HGttG and in GotG:

Or a dramatic beat in action sequence in Fifth Element and GotG:

Strobe posted:

Strobe posted:

You seem to have confused my sarcastic response with an actual opinion that I hold. I was mocking BravestOfTheLamps's insistence that a superficially similar comparison shot between two movies with wildly different attitudes is damning evidence.

The shot of a horde of Vogons huddling behind a picket fence is 1) a striking and memorable image that's part of the movie's high standard of cinematography and 2) funny. Yondu being surrounded by the forgettable villains looks bad in comparison.

HGttG and GotG are rather similar movies, which makes for good comparison. They're both planet-hopping sci-fi comedies with an epic scale, and both are deeply mediocre.

parallelodad posted:

HHG2G is a Disney film, actually. Buena Vista specifically, but definitely Disney.

I may be assuming things, but I don't think HGttG was subject to the same scrutiny and support by Disney as Marvel movies.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 24, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A funny thing is I remember fan and nerd buzz around HHG2G while the movie was being produced being very negative specifically because "Disney will ruin it". Different times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The shot of a horde of Vogons huddling behind a picket fence is 1) a striking and memorable image that's part of the movie's high standard of cinematography and 2) funny. Yondu being surrounded by the forgettable villains looks bad in comparison.

I can honestly and truly say I do not remember a single thing about the film other than that it sucked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phylodox posted:

Is there anything more goony than the"well that's just like your opinion man" defence?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

Is there anything more goony than the"well that's just like your opinion man" defence?

The one that's the opposite of it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought GotG was pretty vapid and overhyped, but Lamps' unbelievable smugness is kinda making me like it. Is this...what it's like to love Trump?

Haha and yeah, "Um pardon sir, but I believe I have objectively and with an overwhelming weight of evidence demonstrated beyond dispute that this children's CG film is inferior to this other CG film" is pretty goony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

I thought GotG was pretty vapid and overhyped, but Lamps' unbelievable smugness is kinda making me like it. Is this...what it's like to love Trump?

Is he wrong though?

• Locked thread