Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

But Krauss and Natsuhi are their masters at that point, aren't they?

Battler solved the epitaph. Krauss and Natsuhi were trying to argue about whether he got the headship or not, but I think the servants would be pretty clear on it. So he's the new boss.

Also I am curious as to how gold truth isn't just red truth with a coat of paint. I guess we'll find out. It certainly seems like a supernatural source of evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Qrr posted:

Battler solved the epitaph. Krauss and Natsuhi were trying to argue about whether he got the headship or not, but I think the servants would be pretty clear on it. So he's the new boss.

Yeah, that's fair. I forgot that wrinkle.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

idonotlikepeas posted:

This line is pretty likely to be a Black Butler reference. Both the manga and the anime would be contemporaneous when these stories were being written. It's about a butler who is a demon, and at least in the anime, he is very prone to saying "Yes, my lord" in English, usually right before some kind of asskicking occurs.

And for extra laughs, said demon butler is voiced by Daisuke Ono.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Well, I was gone for a weekend, hope I didn't miss anythi-oh. oh. hey.

So, that sure was a thing. Battler has now become a witch himself. Will you accept magic into your hearts now, I wonder?

*glares at peas* No, probably not. Still, though, a new perspective promises new information in the world of mystery and magic. With that in mind, please look forward to our next Bonus TIP later this week:

GAME MASTER BATTLER

Also, with the end of another Umi episode comes the next Umineko Motion Graphic. It's a pretty badass one, for a pretty badass episode.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 23, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I can finally post this

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oops, somehow missed an entire page of posts, so I just wanted to say...

CottonWolf posted:

Shannon is the cliff baby. :words:

I think you're spot-on here wrt the weirdness of Kinzo's relationship to the cliff baby/Beatrice's child, and perhaps this is also the reason why the concept of "furniture" has such resonance for Shannon and Kanon. There is definitely something really weird and psychosexual about it; I could easily see how it (and the idea that furniture "cannot love" or be in a mutually fulfilling relationship) could be a coping mechanism against trauma. In addition, we have the disassociation, extremely shaky sense of trust (which I think manifests as the red/blue truth dichotomy), and suicidal ideation, which are typical symptoms of PTSD. Whether or not that trauma is directly because of abuse via Kinzo is still up in the air, I think, though maybe we could seek out specific clues that may have been PRESENTED in the text.

The thing about trauma, I should add, is that it's a lot like being Peanut the turtle. The worst thing about it isn't the event itself, but the way in which your mind and body morph and contort around the trauma over time without you really noticing that it's happening. It becomes so normalized to you that you don't realize what it could be like to not be shaped by it. Except in horrific, painful moments when you're reminded that the wound is there and that it still has the power to completely eclipse any happiness you might have scrounged up in the meantime. Maybe that's why Battler's abandonment hit her so hard. In this game, Beatrice has literally been begging him, Please help me put words to my experience. Please see my pain.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

CottonWolf posted:

Shannon is the cliff baby.

I somehow missed this in the series of updates. This would make a lot of sense, and would solidify the why dunnit presented.

Looking at the who dunnit, if it's one of those two that's the prime mover, I think it has to be Kanon. We see early on that he's willing to take action on Shannon's behalf when she just accepts it as part of being furniture.

I'll also note that even if the caller is male, that doesn't mean cliff baby is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well might as well add that the caller despite was we heard Natsuhi said it sounded young and childish and it may not have been a boy at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you guys are wrong. this entire game is beato trying to get a new magical boyfriend since kinzo is rip.

good taste, endless witch!!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It's manga time!

Episode 5 is illustrated by someone named Akitaka, who barely has any other credits to their name. The art's a bit rough in places, but it really comes together by the end of the Episode. Highlights follow!

Natsuhi and Beatrice:

The Man from 19 Years Ago:

CHOPSTICKS:

Erika has a good personality:

How I'd react to ten tons of gold:

Krauss:

I read books:

Challenge Accepted:

Motherfuckin Dlanor:

Battler Flies:

Invitation to the Game Board:

Erika's deductions go well:

Endgame:

Erika's seals look kinda cool:

A spider on the window:

Kinzo is Dead:

Battler is Deader:

Battler comes to the truth:

He gets a sweet cape:

Dreamenddischarger intensifies:

Erika gets stabbed a bunch:

The Golden Truth:

Round Six:

Omake:

Ralphomon
Feb 14, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

Gold truth feels like a reflection of the authors love for the reader. It's stronger when we can trust the author and weaker if we can't.

It feels like when you reread a good mystery after finishing it, seeing the red truths that build the foundation and the gold truths for the world that we accept.

In this word, grandfather is dead. Our love or trust in the author allows us to accept that truth now with less fear that it's a half or misleading truth.

I think this is it. Gold truths can only be spoken by the GM (i.e. author) and come from love/honour, so I'd assume that they must be truths that are necessary to be taken for granted in order for the mystery to be solved. Insofar as red truths are "pro-fantasy" - that is, truths that witches can say without backup to serve the Illusion of the Witch - and blue truths are "anti-fantasy" - attempts to disprove the Illusion that can only be countered with red truth, gold truths seem to be "pro-mystery": now that Battler's come to his senses and solved the mystery rather than trying to disprove witches, gold truth becomes an option for him.

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Fun fact: in the original magazine release of that particular chapter, Battler's Golden Truth is a two-page spread, full colour print in the middle of the usual black and white manga art. YenPress' release lacking it is literally the only quibble I have with their handling of the manga.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, guess you've got a new avatar, resurgam40.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Aumanor posted:

What the hell are you talking abouOh...:shittypop:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Aumanor posted:

Whatever do you... Oh.

Never going to live that one down, am I? :sigh:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It's out of love, promise.

(I'm not the one who gifted it but still.)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Hahaha aww, that's cute! It's a good thing Battler's cape/necktie situation is more parseable than Kinzo's, or else I'd be really distracted and annoyed every time I see a resurgam post.

If anyone is thinking of giving me an Umineko avatar... I don't care, just not George. ANYONE BUT GEORGE (but I guess that would be a nicely hosed up av/username combo)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hahaha aww, that's cute! It's a good thing Battler's cape/necktie situation is more parseable than Kinzo's, or else I'd be really distracted and annoyed every time I see a resurgam post.

If anyone is thinking of giving me an Umineko avatar... I don't care, just not George. ANYONE BUT GEORGE (but I guess that would be a nicely hosed up av/username combo)

Watch as you immediately get an original R07-art George AV.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

Whatever do you... Oh.

Us witches had been wondering for a while what text you should get to go with the cape, until you made that post.

And then... we knew.

We have an idea or two but either way it's still going to take a while before it's relevant

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, that's a genuinely good av, resurgam! Mittenhands cape-Battler is surprising well drawn.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I'll be honest, that was never considered, but now that you mention it...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

resurgam40 posted:

Whatever do you... Oh.

It's quite amazing. You should have expected that when you made that post, though, tempting fate like that.

The avatar itself is GLORIOUS.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

tiistai posted:

We have an idea or two but either way it's still going to take a while before it's relevant

Don't tell me there are more new characters coming down the pipe...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

So far there's been new ones in every episode, right? Why break a good combo.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

tiistai posted:

So far there's been new ones in every episode, right? Why break a good combo.

:dogbutton: I knew this was coming.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Let me guess, if Battler is indeed the one writing the stories from now on: Beatrice 1.0 finally maybe??; Sayo's true face; Goat-kun's little sister coming onto the gameboard to take her brother home; Astaroth, the demon of rational thinking, depicted as a smug pantsless meganekko; KYRIE Beatrice, the Witch of Sweet-rear end Mexican Standoffs; the kawaii personification of the concept of sadness

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

:getin:

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Watch as you immediately get an original R07-art George AV.

Ah, who could ever forget Fat George?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the kawaii personification of the concept of sadness

Sakutaro's been in the series since Episode 4, though.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
How many avatars does witch-chat have planned, what the heck?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There are at minimum two more.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, that's a genuinely good av, resurgam! Mittenhands cape-Battler is surprising well drawn.

You will never attain the rank of Witch until you UNDERSTAND that the mittenhands we're always well drawn, and, in fact, the superior version.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I mean, are you seriously surprised at this point?

Let me guess, if Battler is indeed the one writing the stories from now on: Beatrice 1.0 finally maybe??; Sayo's true face; Goat-kun's little sister coming onto the gameboard to take her brother home; Astaroth, the demon of rational thinking, depicted as a smug pantsless meganekko; KYRIE Beatrice, the Witch of Sweet-rear end Mexican Standoffs; the kawaii personification of the concept of sadness

Honey, this is battler we're talking about. He'll put the entire female cast in tiny miniskirts and then still find a way to gently caress everything up.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 25, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Rodyle posted:

There are at minimum two more.

You will never attain the rank of Witch until you UNDERSTAND that the mittenhands we're always well drawn, and, in fact, the superior version.

Ah, but becoming a witch is the worst thing a detective can do. So if we wish to be detectives, we must spurn witchery and, therefore, mittenhands.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love Ryukishi's art. You can especially see how he improves over time going from EP 1 to EP 5 and onward.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

lotus circle posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love Ryukishi's art. You can especially see how he improves over time going from EP 1 to EP 5 and onward.

Are you sure because there's some real bad sprites later on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neopie posted:

Improvement as an artist isn't always linear. At the same time, Umineko EP1 is miles ahead of Higurashi, and Umineko EP5 is noticably improved over EP1.

At their worst, Ryukishi Umineko sprites still hover somewhere around "laughably/memetically bad" like Fat George and some of the more hilarious witchfaces.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will always fondly remember the RGD demo, wherein there's finally the budget to commission nearly all the sprite work, but at the last minute one side character is drawn by R07 and she stick out like a giant loving neon sign

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
A character had been introduced in each chapter so I hope you're ready for at least 3+ more

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Neopie posted:

If we're thinking of the same bad sprites, I stand by them as being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
EP5 introduced four new characters. That's the fewest yet.

• Locked thread