Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

Trying to guess ages from character designs in anime is always kinda screwy. Then again if Gurren Lagann is a guide Akko is actually 7 years old or something silly.

Or 37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
tangent: I've never in 10 years seen the official source that supposedly says Yoko is the same age as Simon, or the other extra supposedly explaining her age by saying different villages all measure time differently (which would beg the question of why Jiha Village's calendar's align with surface years). afaik it's just been parroted for years based on image macros where everyone comments "haha, anime am i right?"

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
As a 10 000 year old vampire and as such, an expert in such matters, I can claim with certainty that no one in this show is a 10 000 year old vampire.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Soos might be

Soos is anything she wants to be

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/GetGEWD/status/854630923228336128

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe I read fairly recently that the cat who played him when he was doing actual cat things was still alive. :3:

e:

https://twitter.com/MelissaJoanHart/status/510537790497771520

This was 2014 and he was 20 then, but that's still an amazing innings for a kitty

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Some have suggested that Akko represents Trigger in the magic=anime metaphor, but I was thinking about it and came to these conclusions:

1) Akko is a foreigner, from a place where it seems that they don't have much in the way of magic.

2) Akko has no natural or cultural aptitude or knowledge of magic, but is super enthusiastic nonetheless.

3) Akko's love of magic stems from some flashy stuff she saw as a child that she doesn't understand the context of, and that the more knowledgeable magic community looks down on.

4) Due to their financial troubles, Luna Nova has been forced to resort to catering to people like Akko, as much as they'd rather not.

Akko represents western fans of anime. They're foreigners, they (by Japanese otaku standards) don't know poo poo about anime, but are very enthusiastic, even if a lot of that enthusiasm is for old anime that most fans in Japan don't really rate. And the anime Industry has been making half-arsed attempts to appeal to them as they need the money.

Trigger (remember that LWA was originally funded by a Kickstarter that was very popular in the West) is saying that anime needs to respect its western fans without ruining what makes anime great, as without their enthusiasm (and money) anime is doomed.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Comrade Fakename posted:

Akko represents western fans of anime.

:aaaaa:

Pretty neat theory.

You know how western fans get shocked and angry when they learn about how hard in-betweeners work and how little they get paid for it?

Akko sided with the unhappy workers at Luna Nova in their labor dispute, so that fits too. Anime can't happen with only keyframes, and Luna Nova can't function without cooks and washers and janitors, etc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Some have suggested that Akko represents Trigger in the magic=anime metaphor, but I was thinking about it and came to these conclusions:

1) Akko is a foreigner, from a place where it seems that they don't have much in the way of magic.

2) Akko has no natural or cultural aptitude or knowledge of magic, but is super enthusiastic nonetheless.

3) Akko's love of magic stems from some flashy stuff she saw as a child that she doesn't understand the context of, and that the more knowledgeable magic community looks down on.

4) Due to their financial troubles, Luna Nova has been forced to resort to catering to people like Akko, as much as they'd rather not.

Akko represents western fans of anime. They're foreigners, they (by Japanese otaku standards) don't know poo poo about anime, but are very enthusiastic, even if a lot of that enthusiasm is for old anime that most fans in Japan don't really rate. And the anime Industry has been making half-arsed attempts to appeal to them as they need the money.

Oh wow, that's really spot on! You're absolutely right that this comparison holds up!

Although I cannot resist

quote:

Trigger (remember that LWA was originally funded by a Kickstarter that was very popular in the West) is saying that anime needs to respect its western fans without ruining what makes anime great, as without their enthusiasm (and money) anime is doomed.

MAGA. :smugdon:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Comrade Fakename posted:

If this is so, then I am very interested in what Croix and Chariot will come to represent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hypha posted:

If this is so, then I am very interested in what Croix and Chariot will come to represent.

Croix is definitely CG. Maybe Chariot is Trigger.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Chariot is Gainax. Old, fun, talented, but dead.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Chariot is Shinichiro Watanabe?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

this speculation discussion is getting pretty interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Croix represents Studio Khara, and the finale of LWA will segue directly into Eva 3.0+1.0

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I really doubt the one Japanese girl in the entire show represents western anime fans, to be honest.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Yeah, that's a little silly, especially given that the franchise started with a Japanese government grant for new animators. Akko is just a new artist in her first year at an art school, where all the profs are teaching archaic techniques that have no use in the real world.

When I took my first year of illustration, we were forbidden to use computers, as that was 'cheating'. Instead we had to learn to paint in gouache, and how to safely mail illustration board to newspapers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I really doubt the one Japanese girl in the entire show represents western anime fans, to be honest.

Eh, the one Japanese girl joining an English community is reasonable for a metaphor for a few western folks getting in on a Japanese community.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Squidster posted:

Yeah, that's a little silly, especially given that the franchise started with a Japanese government grant for new animators. Akko is just a new artist in her first year at an art school, where all the profs are teaching archaic techniques that have no use in the real world.

When I took my first year of illustration, we were forbidden to use computers, as that was 'cheating'. Instead we had to learn to paint in gouache, and how to safely mail illustration board to newspapers.

Holy poo poo whether or not this is intentional or not it really resonates with me. I'm an art school bro (painting) and had pretty much the same experience. Nothing digital. Ever.

That said, I loved it and just wanted to do it no-matter what. Perhaps I was naive and overly optimistic about my future career, because I ended up getting my soul sucked out by the man as a cog in a corporate machine.

I hope Akko's story ends differently!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sup fellow artbro! In my case, I was saved from the system by a complete lack of talent. I really empathize with Akko staring up at the stars, and asking the empty sky why she just can't seem to do anything right. I failed out second year and went into graphic design. Now I write comics and pay more talented people to draw 'em for me!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 21, 2017

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Akko is both a cute witch and a good witch, and this was a pretty decent episode. The only real disappointment is the setup made it sound like we were gonna get a Lotte-centric episode a-la Sucy's episode. Akko hyping up the Yeti was great, though.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Apparently Little My grew up to become Lotte's neighbor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So it turns out that Lotte being a good girl is because of her good boy and good girl parents.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Apparently Little My grew up to become Lotte's neighbor.

There was also a Moomin on a sign in Lotte's shop as well.

Also, yes, Lotte is good.

EDIT: It was a bit more of an episodic-type of episode, but I loved all the Finland stuff, and the shrinking circle wipe for the ending. Such a classic cartoon thing to do!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 24, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well I for one welcome Akko's efforts to protect yetis from the menace of online trolling.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

For anyone confused about the pies, they're apparently made of pungent fermented fish.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

For anyone confused about the pies, they're apparently made of pungent fermented fish.

They're Karelian pies, filled with surströmming for some reason. Normal Karelian pies are great, but I can't imagine why anyone would put fermented fish in them (or in any food). Figures Sucy liked it though.

Tastes a lot better than it looks.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Meanwhile, back in January (from one of the show's animators, I think, someone posted it in this thread a while ago):

Somehow Sucy manages to handle surströmming but not salmiak.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Meanwhile, back in January (from one of the show's animators, I think, someone posted it in this thread a while ago):

Somehow Sucy manages to handle surströmming but not salmiak.

I've not tried surstromming, but I can imagine it's probably a smellier version of Bagoong or some variation thereof. Given that Sucy's Filipino, I'm sure she's tried it and other equally weird Filipino delicacies herself. Say...Balut?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

I've not tried surstromming, but I can imagine it's probably a smellier version of Bagoong or some variation thereof. Given that Sucy's Filipino, I'm sure she's tried it and other equally weird Filipino delicacies herself. Say...Balut?

Where was it mentioned that she's Filipino?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Somewhere, not sure where, but she does have a Filipino surname.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

It's implied from her last name which is almost 100% similar to the word "Mambabarang" which means sorcerer/sorceress.

Edit: To be more specific, it's Cebuano which is one of the regions in the Philippines and whose own indigenous people have their own language.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

her broom is also based on the kinds used in the Philippines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
She is also stated to be from South East Aisa which is were the Philippines are. I think Sucy is a name from that region as well.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Felt kind of bad for croix when she was alone in the lab eating a cup noodle

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Since everyone else is subjecting everyone to their acquired tastes, Akko should force the others to try natto over rice. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:drat:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We need more Scandinavian based anime with vikings. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

We need more Scandinavian based anime with vikings. :black101:

I don't think there are any anime production​ companies run by Vikings in Scandinavia...Yet.

• Locked thread