Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sassassin posted:

Is he wrong though?

He's opinionated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

sassassin posted:

Is he wrong though?

He's President, so he was obviously right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

Compare to something like Dr. Strange, which had that one trippy sequence, but the overall story was the same thing we've seen a billion times where an arrogant guy somehow masters mysterious super ancient stuff and saves the world with it in 48 hours. Was like half of that movie cut out or something? They even say it would take years of training and discipline to be able to use magic really well, and it's compared to the same training and practice he goes through regularly as a surgeon learning new techniques and doing research.

It was inferred that Dr Strange spent an awful lot of time studying in the Astral Plane, which slowed down time by a factor of a thousand+. He was also there for Many months, people time, according to his Dr. ex-girlfriend.

parallelodad posted:

Marvel is unimaginative, mindless, fun.
Michael Bay films are imaginative, mindless, unfun.
DC films are unimaginative, mindful, unfun.

It's like the old engineering adage except you can only pick one.
MOS and BvS are really imaginative movies in the way they actually try to fit their characters into life, with their motivations and tribulations. Very nice characterwork.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 24, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Hitchhikers was less exciting and less funny than Guardians, which makes the latter a much better action-comedy. Like, by definition.

The former had a perfect cast and amazing source material and completely face-planted. It was so goddamn dull and unfunny it was depressing. Some of the stupidest throwaway gags in Guardians landed better than anything in Hitchhikers. I think the stupid as gently caress Kevin Bacon joke callback to the earlier Kevin Bacon joke landed better than anything Sam Rockwell did in Hitchhikers, which shouldn't even be a real thing. Dave Bautista was a bad actor in the context of "acting" as "pro wrestlers do talking before the match starts," and Drax produced more real laughs than Arthur Dent played by Martin Freeman and how did what I just type ever happen I can't even.

Hitchhikers had better color grading. And the thing where the Heart of Gold turned into random objects the first time, I guess?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 24, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

While there are shots in Guardians that aren't as pretty or as instructive as similar shots in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I actually like and own both these movies, and enjoy them for different reasons.

I also don't really sit around and do the Armond White thing where I compare everything to the best movies ever made in a subject or genre, going back to the beginning of film, in order to declare everything else terrible--and yet, nor do I respect critics who write witless and wildly inaccurate zinger reviews about movies in hopes of convincing someone not to take a chance on unique material. (These are the people who White hates so much that he is at the extreme fringes of the circuit, so that he now writes for a cryptofascist publication).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He basically found the one weird trick for learning magic fast (sorcerers hate it).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Drifter posted:

It was inferred that Dr Strange spent an awful lot of time studying in the Astral Plane, which slowed down time by a factor of a thousand+. He was also there for Many months, people time, according to his Dr. ex-girlfriend.

Yeah I'd have to rewatch the movie but I'm pretty sure the gray streaks in his hair weren't there before he started studying, or at least weren't as pronounced.

Also, being accustomed to learning a poo poo ton makes learning a poo poo ton easier.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I enjoy his reviews and wish he didn't have to have them published by National Review.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sassassin posted:

Is he wrong though?

Eh, I don't remember the color grading being that muddy in GotG. Maybe it was though, I ain't saying it wasn't! Like, almost none of the Marvel movies are particularly well shot. Brave Lamps is just warmed over SMG. I dare you to sit through Hitchhiker's. Like, I defy you. Who cares if it looks pretty?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phylodox posted:

He's opinionated.

Heavens no! On the Internet? Is that allowed?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

I actually completely agree with this. The MCU is junk food. I love junk food but sometimes I want a good steak.

I remember wondering if the reason BvS was getting a more "sympathetic" response in here was because people were tired of MCU junk food and wanted something a bit more...ambitious, even if Snyder's reach exceeds his grasp.

That's why I got Watchmen, really. I wanted a superhero movie that actually had something to say, ya know?

BvS got so much sympathy here, I think, because, 1) it's a really well done movie with interesting characters and fantastic visuals, and 2) becuase all the naysayers were literally describing things from the movie that never happened and :psyduck:

Watchmen was amazing, but thank god I never tried to sit through the pirate comic substory.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

sassassin posted:

Heavens no! On the Internet? Is that allowed?

Being a giant dickhead about it is practically encouraged.

Obviously.

Drifter posted:

2) becuase all the naysayers were literally describing things from the movie that never happened and :psyduck:

I think that was actually more prevalent with Man of Steel. Superman having trouble preventing collateral damage = SUPERMAN MURDERS EVERYONE, ON PURPOSE, WITH MALICE AFORETHOUGHT, OH GOD WHY?!?!?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 24, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

BvS got so much sympathy here, I think, because, 1) it's a really well done movie with interesting characters and fantastic visuals, and 2) becuase all the naysayers were literally describing things from the movie that never happened and :psyduck:

Watchmen was amazing, but thank god I never tried to sit through the pirate comic substory.

I tried to watch just the pirate comic bits as a standalone and it was a slog. Shame too because I love those parts in the book. Watchmen is a dope movie though.

sean10mm posted:

I think that was actually more prevalent with Man of Steel. Superman having trouble preventing collateral damage = SUPERMAN MURDERS EVERYONE, ON PURPOSE, WITH MALICE AFORETHOUGHT, OH GOD WHY?!?!?

proof is in the gif

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like the original cut of Watchmen was like a regular ham.

The Director's Cut was like a Glazed Ham - It added some much needed flavor and didn't increase the overall amount of time required to cook.

The Ultimate Cut was like a bone-in Ham - It added nothing to the flavor of the ham, but required far too much extra preparation time and reduced the total amount of edible ham by filling space with the bone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel like the original cut of Watchmen was like a regular ham.

The Director's Cut was like a Glazed Ham - It added some much needed flavor and didn't increase the overall amount of time required to cook.

The Ultimate Cut was like a bone-in Ham - It added nothing to the flavor of the ham, but required far too much extra preparation time and reduced the total amount of edible ham by filling space with the bone.

Watchmen can't be like ham because Snyder doesn't eat pork.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

It was both movies. Oh god, it was both.

I think, honest to god, there was like only one poster who had legitimate critiques of MoS, everyone else basically transformed into a retarded dog's rear end in a top hat when they posted about how bad it was.

BvS I think people were expecting The Avengers or something, and instead got a movie that had themes and visual storytelling and deeper characterization they just lost it. It also didn't help that the Director Cut noticeably filled in some blanks. I mean, there were a few clunky parts that became a trammel in how they were presented, but again, retarded dog assholes.

Of course, everyone who says Suicide Squad fuckign sucks, with the exception of maybe 14 minutes, is absolutely correct. What an utter disappointment and waste of a concept, overall.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 24, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

Eh, I don't remember the color grading being that muddy in GotG.

It seems to be a problem with the Blu-Rays. Because the movie already doesn't use colours to contrast well, the result is muddy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

sean10mm posted:

One reviewer called Superman a sociopath because he's frustrated by the way the world reacts to him. Because words apparently don't mean anything anymore.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drifter posted:

It was both movies. Oh god, it was both.

I think, honest to god, there was like only one poster who had legitimate critiques of MoS, everyone else basically transformed into a retarded dog's rear end in a top hat when they posted about how bad it was.

BvS I think people were expecting The Avengers or something, and instead got a movie that had themes and visual storytelling and deeper characterization they just lost it. I mean, there were a few clunky parts that became a trammel in how they were presented, but again, retarded dog assholes.

Agreed. I still see jokes about Ben Affleck, like, "You mean the guy from Batman v Superman?" or "The guy who ruined Batman?" when his portrayal of Batman is one of the few things most people praised. But the collective memory is that the movie was the worst of all time, so anything from it is nothing but joke material. Except Wonder Woman.

People got loving weird about that movie, and it made it hard to actually discuss. I had some problems with it, like how it handled Lex Luthor. And there was a good discussion in this thread earlier on about that. But mostly it's drowned in people who shout about it being the worst movie of all time. Like...if you think that, you have seen way less movies than I have. And maybe you're happier as a result. Who knows.

I really liked the movie, and while I acknowledge it's flaws, I love that it was trying to be more, and for the most part it landed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed. I still see jokes about Ben Affleck, like, "You mean the guy from Batman v Superman?" or "The guy who ruined Batman?" when his portrayal of Batman is one of the few things most people praised. But the collective memory is that the movie was the worst of all time, so anything from it is nothing but joke material. Except Wonder Woman.

People got loving weird about that movie, and it made it hard to actually discuss. I had some problems with it, like how it handled Lex Luthor. And there was a good discussion in this thread earlier on about that. But mostly it's drowned in people who shout about it being the worst movie of all time. Like...if you think that, you have seen way less movies than I have. And maybe you're happier as a result. Who knows.

I really liked the movie, and while I acknowledge it's flaws, I love that it was trying to be more, and for the most part it landed.

Not looking to dive into the weeds on this, but what about Lex did you dislike? I really enjoyed his character as a manic brained tech guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the theatrical cut and also the extended cut to an extent there is just not a lot establishing his motivation or why he has his worldview. Even though he states it explicitly I have a hard time buying it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I found Lex to be profoundly irritating, as a smart man who pretty much said nonsense, and a person quipping just terible dialogue. When I catch BvS on TV nowadays, his portrayal is usually I have to veer away from watching it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MacheteZombie posted:

Not looking to dive into the weeds on this, but what about Lex did you dislike? I really enjoyed his character as a manic brained tech guy.

I thought they leaned way too heavily on the manic, like he had kinda gone crazy. Like, if they revealed that he was being controlled by something on that ship the whole time, it would have made complete sense to me. But he doesn't get it until (I wanna say) halfway through the movie. So at the beginning, he's just crazy. And he apparently discovered Batman and Superman's secret identities, like, off camera at some point? Before the movie, I guess? To me, he seemed to be playing it too close to the Joker or the Riddler, or something.

And his plan, which he enacts because Superman has come to Earth and may wipe out all human life (I think), is to have Batman kill Superman. Or have Superman kill Batman, I guess, but I don't know why he'd care about that. Failing that, it's to unleash an even more terrifying and powerful alien force, that maybe he thought he could control? I don't know, his Doomsday plan confuses me.

And I know Steppenwolf shows up in the extended cut, clearly controlling Lex in some way, but it's not in the movie proper, and it's aboard the ship he didn't have at the beginning of the movie. Right from the start, Lex has a plan, and it involves that ship, and Zod's body, and I don't get why he thinks he can do anything with either. Are we supposed to believe he was being controlled by Steppenwolf the entire time? Or at least influenced by him?

Also, it's not a major complaint or anything, but I could have done without the sweet tea joke.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Generally you can be surprised at how terrible a movie is even if you know most of what's going to happen in it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. :shrug:

Which is why I included the other part of my post, about how the movie is completely in line with the director's previous work. Nevertheless, people will go to Justice League and complain when it's consistent with the movies Snyder has been making for a decade.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought lex jr was great. His father was everything he wasn't.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

And his plan, which he enacts because Superman has come to Earth and may wipe out all human life (I think), is to have Batman kill Superman. Or have Superman kill Batman, I guess, but I don't know why he'd care about that.

Superman would either be dead, problem solved, or revealed to the world conclusively as a cold-blooded murderer, which would empower Luthor with the government and garner support to finish the job. Doomsday is a wildcard failsafe, one Lex expects he may he be able to exert his will over given his knowledge/having the keys to the kingdom/hubris.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Also, it's not a major complaint or anything, but I could have done without the sweet tea joke.

Did you like the Jackson Pollock reference in GotG?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I liked the mania of Lex and did feel the emergence of Superman broke him even further than he already was. Cornering the senator to give his speech to her about gods and men being the part that highlights that for me. You're not the first to compare him to the joker/riddler either, I think Riddler is more apt. It just didn't bother me.

cvnvcnv posted:

Superman would either be dead, problem solved, or revealed to the world conclusively as a cold-blooded murderer, which would empower Luthor with the government and garner support to finish the job. Doomsday is a wildcard failsafe, one Lex expects he may he be able to exert his will over given his knowledge/having the keys to the kingdom/hubris.

Yeah I thought the plan was extremely straightforward in both versions of the movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems to be a problem with the Blu-Rays. Because the movie already doesn't use colours to contrast well, the result is muddy.

Nice victim blaming. Next you'll say Godzilla (2014) shouldn't have dressed like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love how every discussion about BVS returns to the harshest critics of the film.

Why do you still care that people hate the movie?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I love how every discussion about BVS returns to the harshest critics of the film.

Why do you still care that people hate the movie?

Those critics are the easiest to defend against?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

And his plan, which he enacts because Superman has come to Earth and may wipe out all human life (I think), is to have Batman kill Superman.

I'm curious what in the movie made you reach this conclusion. Batman's the one making the 1% chance argument, not Luthor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drifter posted:

Did you like the Jackson Pollock reference in GotG?

Sure, though I probably would have felt differently if they had made it a dramatic reveal, or made me look at a mason jar full of semen.

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks for the responses. I liked the mania of Lex and did feel the emergence of Superman broke him even further than he already was. Cornering the senator to give his speech to her about gods and men being the part that highlights that for me. You're not the first to compare him to the joker/riddler either, I think Riddler is more apt. It just didn't bother me.

Yeah I thought the plan was extremely straightforward in both versions of the movie.

I guess I mainly found the mania irritating. And I could buy Lex being someone who sees himself as the absolute pinnacle of humanity, who just found out it means nothing, because an alien just rendered it meaningless. But I feel like I'd be adding that to the movie, not that the movie is communicating that to me. The Lex we see isn't the pinnacle of anything, he's a borderline lunatic shoving candy in people's mouths in his very first scene.

But hey, he's memorable, which is more than I can say about most Marvel villains.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dublish posted:

I'm curious what in the movie made you reach this conclusion. Batman's the one making the 1% chance argument, not Luthor.

It's me searching for what Lex actually wants, because to me it's unclear.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I love how broad indictments of a particular "side" of a disagreement tend to be directed to the abstract.

If it's something that's actually happening, why not quote someone?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
One thing the Extended Cut added that I really liked was a brief second before the senators meet Lex for the first time where Hope gives him a nod, as if to signal that they are coming, and then Lex does his throw. I think you even see him wait on the corner of the screen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

One thing the Extended Cut added that I really liked was a brief second before the senators meet Lex for the first time where Hope gives him a nod, as if to signal that they are coming, and then Lex does his throw. I think you even see him wait on the corner of the screen.

Even in the theatrical cut, when he makes that shot my first thought was, "bet he planned that". It's great business theater, the kind of stuff you read about in "Up and Coming Entrepreneur Monthly"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

I love how broad indictments of a particular "side" of a disagreement tend to be directed to the abstract.

If it's something that's actually happening, why not quote someone?

I don't like the movie. You like the movie. Those are the sides.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

The Lex we see isn't the pinnacle of anything, he's a borderline lunatic shoving candy in people's mouths in his very first scene.

He figured out Batman & Superman's identity, leveraged political power to get Zod's body in order to failsafe a plan to get Superman killed, and established contact with an extraterrestrial conqueror.

He's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He figured out Batman & Superman's identity, leveraged political power to get Zod's body in order to failsafe a plan to get Superman killed, and established contact with an extraterrestrial conqueror.

He's pretty good.

b-but he didn't actually TELL people he did any of those. :colbert:

Baron Zemo managed to get a lot of poo poo done during Civil War, too. Freakishly and odds-breakingly specific things, if I remember correctly, no? And by the way, what a fuckin' disappointment of a character - I don't think he wore that awesome mask and uniform at ALL.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread