Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think that was the fantasy campaign, where Orks just kind of donked Archaeoeoan

Nah, I remember reading that Orks were stuck on the Chaos team to boost their points into the assured range, and towards the end of the campaign the Ork players got tired of just doing that for Chaos, who they weren't, and achieving nothing for themselves. So, a bunch of them organised (maybe on early 4chan?) and turned around to start attacking Chaos and did enough damage that they changed the campaign result away from what GW had been trying to force: from total Chaos victory over Cadia, into the Chaos ground foothold, Imperial dominion of space result. They stopped letting the players have input into the story after that, I believe.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NTRabbit posted:

Nah, I remember reading that Orks were stuck on the Chaos team to boost their points into the assured range, and towards the end of the campaign the Ork players got tired of just doing that for Chaos, who they weren't, and achieving nothing for themselves. So, a bunch of them organised (maybe on early 4chan?) and turned around to start attacking Chaos and did enough damage that they changed the campaign result away from what GW had been trying to force: from total Chaos victory over Cadia, into the Chaos ground foothold, Imperial dominion of space result. They stopped letting the players have input into the story after that, I believe.

Maybe? My recollection is that Orks mostly fought over other planets, and that Imperial players stopped a strong Chaos victory by beating the poo poo out of Chaos in BFG and by having a fuckton more players. I was under the impression that the outcome GW wanted was "narrow Imperial victory" and the one they feared and thought was fairly likely was "Imperials curbstomp Chaos." Most of the turnaround at the end of the campaign occurred less because of ork players and more because of Imperial players finally getting organized enough to counter what Chaos was doing (Chaos formed groups early on that directed wins/losses to specific planets)

Also I'd bet that at most, maybe one fifth of actual campaign results posted were real.

4Chan didn't launch until after the campaign was over, so it wouldn't have been on there

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

How's everyone's guesses on GW closing shop going?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IIRC, the Eldar largely focused on defending the Webway from chaos, and did a job of it, and their payoff was to have the only named character in the campaign killed by jobbing it to Slaanesh. A lot of them were pretty pissed about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

40k and fantasy are both super-derivative but it's a bit less obvious in 40k because it takes a bunch of fantasy stuff and writes "space" on top of it

fantasy's setting is more interesting though because it's not *totally* overrun with grimderp bullshit

I mean, fantasy was absolutely derivative, but it was a pretty fascinating blend you don't see a lot (at least these days, maybe it was super common in the 80s when there was more elric-type stuff in fantasy novels?). The humans being fantasy HRE is definitely not "tolkienesque", for example. Most human settlements in fantasy (generally) are of the "good kingdom" mould, and humans are often idealised explorers and innovators. Yeah, it's a pretty direct take on the HRE, but at the same time I don't see many fantasy worlds riffing on the HRE, y'know?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember that the Imperial players learnt their lesson and specifically coordinated themselves for the Medusa V campaign (I think maybe also with the Eldar players) to got the top three spots (it was a free-for-all between all the factions, so they agreed not to attack one another, I think). Of course that probably came after a bunch of the edition changes, to boot.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

What do you think this is, some sort of Death Thread?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Maybe? My recollection is that Orks mostly fought over other planets, and that Imperial players stopped a strong Chaos victory by beating the poo poo out of Chaos in BFG and by having a fuckton more players.

Yeah, the Ork community created "Da Green Kroosade" and went after mostly unrelated planets to make their mark and create some impact on the results, doing well enough to be mentioned in White Dwarf.

Ashcans posted:

IIRC, the Eldar largely focused on defending the Webway from chaos, and did a job of it, and their payoff was to have the only named character in the campaign killed by jobbing it to Slaanesh. A lot of them were pretty pissed about it.

One guy won a tourney at Warhammer World iirc and won the right to kill off a named character, any named character, of his choosing. He chose Eldrad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Here's the new map of 40k galaxy. Remember the Eye of Terror? Well, we've got a new and improved warp rift now. Also, Cadia is gone, Attila belongs to the Necrons and Prospero has popped back up. Can't spot any other major differences. Tyranids seem pretty absent.

What the? Where's the copy-pasted star clusters and 3D features on a glossy 3D plane?!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hamshot posted:

One guy won a tourney at Warhammer World iirc and won the right to kill off a named character, any named character, of his choosing. He chose Eldrad.

good choice

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hamshot posted:

That's hilarious if true. Did he also get to pick how they died? Because even with that in mind GW decided to off him in the dumbest way.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nah, he just chose the character, otherwise it would be something like "Eldrad died receiving a spear up the kiester from a snotling" I imagine. Eldrad died trying to interface with a blackstone fortress right? He didn't see that one coming :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

NTRabbit posted:

The tyranids are returning to their home planet, because their home planet needs them

Note: The Tyranids died on the way back to their home planet

Where is that from anyway? Mork and Mindy?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

GW, like everything in this universe, will eventually wither and die

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Not a viking posted:

Where is that from anyway? Mork and Mindy?

Simpsons, the Poochy episode.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

spectralent posted:

Simpsons, the Poochy episode.

Here's that moment for the kids

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
In the storm of chaos, which was the fantasy campaign. Chaos actually failed to take the first city, so after that they just started loving with the numbers to make it so chaos could make it to the end.

On the map for it, even at the end there was this castle in the very beginning that Chaos never took

Also of course, Archaeon beats Valten but before he kill him Grimgor shows up and whoops Archaeon. Then he holds the axe to his throat and shouts "We're the best" and the orcs leave.

And then Valten is killed in his sleep by the skaven Deathmaster.

Everything returned to normal and all the new characters were dead.

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's amazing how terrible all the worldwide campaigns ended up being. I think the only one that wasn't basically garbage was Ichar IV, but I'm guessing that's only because I was really young at the time and didn't notice.

Hamshot posted:

Nah, he just chose the character, otherwise it would be something like "Eldrad died receiving a spear up the kiester from a snotling" I imagine. Eldrad died trying to interface with a blackstone fortress right? He didn't see that one coming :v:
Yea, he goes 'Don't worry guys, I'll take control of the Blackstone Fortress!' and then whoops the Blackstone's matrix actually had Slaanesh inside, and he had managed to both not foresee this and not notice her presence until it was too late, so he dies. In addition to being dumb he didn't even accomplish anything like holding off the fortress long enough for others to escape or anything, it was basically a pratfall that turned fatal.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh. GW just announced that anyone who bought a rulebook or codex within the leight weeks prior to the 8th edition announcement can show proof of purchase to customer service and get a voucher equal to the cost of the book

I did not see that coming

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Huh. GW just announced that anyone who bought a rulebook or codex within the leight weeks prior to the 8th edition announcement can show proof of purchase to customer service and get a voucher equal to the cost of the book

wow im legit impressed

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gw good

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, good idea. Also staves off any small claims court style problems.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Only thing I remember the Orks doing during Eye of Terror was capturing the forgeworld Mordax and renaming it Mordakka. Good enough for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:siren: ! GIVE GW MONEY ! :siren:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

...And the skies blackened and the seas boiled and the rivers became as blood.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Moola posted:

you first :clint:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So while it seems that GW have somewhat pulled their heads out of their asses, is Age of Sigmar still bad?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yes but they are working at improving it.

The core rules are poo poo and it's hard to recover from that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean that's great. But also 8 weeks, lol.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

drat that is very New Games Workshop (tm)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

...And the skies blackened and the seas boiled and the rivers became as blood.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

So while it seems that GW have somewhat pulled their heads out of their asses, is Age of Sigmar still bad?

its as bad as my posting

possibly even worse!!!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't think we should be congratulating GW for giving people store credit (not a refund) after buying a product that they designed, printed and sold (in a £90 bundle, no less) knowing that it was would be obsolete in roughly 12 weeks.

Its the absolute bare minimum they could do.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If this were kindergarten, GW would get a "meets expectations" grade for this. If GW keeps it up, they'll be a decent-but-not-great company!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

If this were kindergarten, GW would get a "meets expectations" grade for this. If GW keeps it up, they'll be a decent-but-not-great company!

I think you and I had very different expectations of GW because this definitely exceeded mine

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think you and I had very different expectations of GW because this definitely exceeded mine

They meet my expectations of a company in general, not of GW in particular.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

#omedetou Games Workshop

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

TTerrible posted:

I don't think we should be congratulating GW for giving people store credit (not a refund) after buying a product that they designed, printed and sold (in a £90 bundle, no less) knowing that it was would be obsolete in roughly 12 weeks.

Its the absolute bare minimum they could do.

This right here is the correct opinion. How many people who bought something in the last 8 weeks still has a receipt? Maybe 10%. How many of that small % actively follow GW every day on the net? Not many. They may hear about the refunds but probably through word of mouth and probably too late.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's an improvement on not giving refunds at all.

But the foundational bad behavior - selling products you know will be obsolete in a very short time frame instead of previewing upcoming changes and being honest to your customers - has not changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

How many people buy cars the day before the new models launch? Should they get a refund too? That they're offering some sort of refund just shows that Games Workshop is really striving to make the best game possible with a dedication to user experience.

• Locked thread