Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

LemonyTang posted:

The best suggestion so far.

A very very good reference with a little bit knowledge yes.

Ceci n'est pas un chien

namesake fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

Who were these people and why do we care about them enough to stop working?
I'd have a day off work for Fred West as long as I didn't have to observe anything. St. Jude is particularly appropriate though, as he is the patron saint of desperate situations and lost causes.

Private Speech posted:

Suggest a good civil war person.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't a lot of motorways specifically cambered on bends so that you turn most safely at 65-75mph, and going below that is as bad as going above it?

Going below wouldn't hurt when it comes to turning, the danger comes from the difference in speed between slow and fast moving vehicles. It's just frustrating that campaign groups and politicians seem to focus solely on speed at the expense of say, spatial awareness and proper observation.

As a petrolhead, the way to help the environment in my eyes is to remove the need for a car in the first place. If people could afford to live near their workplace rather than having to commute an hour each way because houses cost way too much where all the jobs are, that would take care of a big chunk of it right there.

Blanket reductions in speed limits will do gently caress all.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Not sure an 11 hour school day is very sensible.

How about keep bank holidays and don't have them count towards your time off, keep lunch breaks, and extend the weekend by 2 extra days? While working no extra hours. While also increasing the minimum wage so that such hours are affordable.

(Also, speaking as someone who has regularly had a 2 hour each way commute, the idea of having to do it 6 days a week makes me want to barf. I'd much rather working longer hours on fewer days than more days but less hours each day. If I had to do a 12 hour day in order to do 3 day weeks I absolutely would without hesitation. Longer weekends also means more money in my pocket at the end of the month because those days off are days I'm not having to pay Stagecoach for their lovely bus service.)

I used to do three 14 hour days and then either 4 days off or 3 days off with a 6 hour shift when I used to be a bartender.

Best work/life balance I've ever had.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Principia Mathematica was published on the 5th of July, so that'd be an option.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Monday closest to Remembrance Sunday. Breaks up the near four months between the August Bank Holiday and Christmas

Yes! :eng101:

Shame all this is bullshit as Corbyn's going nowhere :eng99:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ludicro posted:

Going below wouldn't hurt when it comes to turning, the danger comes from the difference in speed between slow and fast moving vehicles. It's just frustrating that campaign groups and politicians seem to focus solely on speed at the expense of say, spatial awareness and proper observation.
High speed roads like autobahns and (I'm assuming, but nothing about British build standards would surprise me) motorways are supposed to have a superelevated camber on turns, like so for a right turn:

You're supposed to be going at the right speed for the turn otherwise you'd find yourself drifting out (too fast) or in (too slow).

I have no idea how this works for the motorways around London. You get out and walk?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TheRat posted:

I'm fairly certain brexit means facts are banned

It's also written in foreign, it'll only fly if they're allowed a book-burning festival

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour are planning some good stuff on Brexit tomorrow. Laying out their negotiating strategy that would prioritise keeping the benefits of the single market and customs union. Soft Brexit, in a nutshell.

Nia Griffith also said something interesting about Trident today:

Nia Griffith posted:

I think it is very important that we are absolutely clear that we are prepared to use it and I’m certainly prepared to use it.

Could Corbyn conceivably devolve the launch/don't launch decision to his defence minister?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Let's get a day off for Brunel, Cromwell and Attlee (make them saints while we're at it).

Making Cromwell a Catholic saint could solve the world's energy needs once all his scattered bits started revolving furiously.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Labour are planning some good stuff on Brexit tomorrow. Laying out their negotiating strategy that would prioritise keeping the benefits of the single market and customs union. Soft Brexit, in a nutshell.

Nia Griffith also said something interesting about Trident today:

Could Corbyn conceivably devolve the launch/don't launch decision to his defence minister?

Suddenly all of Corbyns speechs start containing the word 'launch' and the names of different countries to be recorded and used while Tom Watson pins Jeremy to the floor and Nia holds a tape recorder up to the phone to the submarine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Making Cromwell a Catholic saint could solve the world's energy needs once all his scattered bits started revolving furiously.
Most of the Popes are buried in lead coffins, so you could power Europe just by dumping them in water when they become incandescent.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

My government will:

Reverse article 50
Raise the motorway speed limit to 80mph
Nationalise the energy industry
Renew Trident
Introduce harsh penalties for those that sell energy drinks to under 16s
Mandate that cheese and onion goes in a packet, and salt and vinegar in blue

Last time I checked cheese and onion already comes in a packet, voting Labour instead.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the Popes are buried in lead coffins, so you could power Europe just by dumping them in water when they become incandescent.

Presumably this would only work with Pope Innocent X onwards (Popes before him be all Crom-who?) but we might have something here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Namtab posted:

Last time I checked cheese and onion already comes in a packet, voting Labour instead.

Cheese and onion Pringles come in a tube. I assume they would be banned.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tubes are packets.

In namtabs Britain they will season both sides of a pringle

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

High speed roads like autobahns and (I'm assuming, but nothing about British build standards would surprise me) motorways are supposed to have a superelevated camber on turns, like so for a right turn:

You're supposed to be going at the right speed for the turn otherwise you'd find yourself drifting out (too fast) or in (too slow).

I have no idea how this works for the motorways around London. You get out and walk?

Superelevation like that allows for higher speeds but wouldn't have any impact at lower speeds unless it was velodrome-steep. Going slower has other safety benefits, specifically greater perception time and reduced stopping distance.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Namtab posted:

Tubes are packets.
Tubes : Packets :: Airmen : Troops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Support Our Tubes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Ok not in N. Ireland then, just in England/Scotland/Wales.

Do they get the day off to go kill some Irish people?

sassassin posted:

Cheese and onion Pringles come in a tube. I assume they would be banned.

Pringles aren't crisps.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 24, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Pringles aren't crisps.

Bigot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They aren't.

Even seabrooks are nicer than pringles.

You make crisps by heating up potato until it tastes good, not compacting sawdust into a wafer and then putting it in a tube.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't.

Even seabrooks are nicer than pringles.

You make crisps by heating up potato until it tastes good, not compacting sawdust into a wafer and then putting it in a tube.

Now you're being counterrevolutionary

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pringles are lovely crisps which subsist on marketing and cheapness of production.

They are the counterevolutionaries. Proper revolutionary crisps would be getting one of those microwave things and growing your own spuds.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Pringles are lovely crisps which subsist on marketing and cheapness of production.

They are the counterevolutionaries. Proper revolutionary crisps would be getting one of those microwave things and growing your own spuds.

Once you pop* you just can't stop

*off to the wall for betraying the revolution

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Typical bourgeois individualistic decadence itp

Communal gardens and microwave thingys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Typical bourgeois individualistic decadence itp

Communal gardens and microwave thingys.

This would be a better solution because I don't reckon everyone needs their own microwave thingy.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Crisps of the working class

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Didn't really like going to Cat Jail for thought crimes tbeh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rich "Big brother" Kyanka

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

Rich "Big brother" Kyanka

I've sent a petition through the Kekistani embassy but to no avail

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

Suddenly all of Corbyns speechs start containing the word 'launch' and the names of different countries to be recorded and used while Tom Watson pins Jeremy to the floor and Nia holds a tape recorder up to the phone to the submarine.

No need with the power of computer

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

This was a good read: https://samkriss.com/2017/04/24/corbynism-or-barbarism-part-ii/

quote:

The loyal Tory press responds with terrifying outbursts against all enemies: ‘Hang The Lot,’ ‘Boil The Traitors Alive,’ ‘Insert The Pear Of Anguish Into The Anuses Of Our Enemies So That They May Be Disembowelled From Within,’ ‘Readers Agree: It’s Time To Crush The Heads Of The Remoaners Under A Large Millstone,’ ‘Where Are Our Common-Sense Torture Kennels In Which The People We Don’t Like Are Torn Apart Shred By Shred By Starving Dogs?’

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Almost like having liberal elites who despise the common man and pander to special interest groups and big business wouldn't developing something as awful and lovely in return to face it like a Mothra made out of smegma and cum to fight against a Godzilla made out of poo poo and piss

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Crisps of the working class

Asda is wallmart and thus poo poo. namtab for PM.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

quote:

the Daily Mail letters page given chitinous flesh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I once emailed the people who make McCoys crisps to ask if their product was made from genuine slices of potato, or - as I suspected - some sort of processed and formed potato slice.

I'll never forgot the answer I received in reply.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Miftan posted:

Asda is wallmart and thus poo poo. namtab for PM.

Actual poor people dont really give a poo poo as long as its cheap and cheerful

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

and he'll tell us about it right after posting the bolognese recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pissflaps is resorting to click at to troll, truly we are living in the tories' bargain basement Britain.

• Locked thread