Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is kind of like when you get a kid who bites to apologize. Yea, they're still biting, no it's not good, but it's progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

panascope posted:

How many people buy cars the day before the new models launch? Should they get a refund too? That they're offering some sort of refund just shows that Games Workshop is really striving to make the best game possible with a dedication to user experience.

How many people buy the 2016 model of a car with no idea that there is going to be a 2017 model? How many car companies sell the 2016 model at full sticker price, one month before the 2017s come out?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It's an improvement on not giving refunds at all.

But the foundational bad behavior - selling products you know will be obsolete in a very short time frame instead of previewing upcoming changes and being honest to your customers - has not changed.

I guess every company should stop selling products or stop making new ones! Wowzers great insight noted poster Leperflesh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

I guess every company should stop selling products or stop making new ones! Wowzers great insight noted poster Leperflesh.

Boy that is really not at all what I said, but good job!

When a new edition of an RPG is going to come out, the company making it announces it a year in advance and solicits feedback on the rules. They don't stop selling the old edition but customers know the new edition is coming that will make all the old stuff obsolete. And the old stuff generally goes on discount the last month or two before the new one comes out, becuase they need to clear out the soon-to-be-obsolete inventory.

Everyone playing 40k knew a new edition was coming out, of course: but new editions of 40k generally don't invalidate all the books and supplements from the previous edition right away. So yes, this is still lovely behavior.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

agreed but also everyone should just stop doing anything because why bother??

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Boy that is really not at all what I said, but good job!

When a new edition of an RPG is going to come out, the company making it announces it a year in advance and solicits feedback on the rules. They don't stop selling the old edition but customers know the new edition is coming. And the old stuff generally goes on discount the last month or two before the new one comes out, becuase they need to clear out the soon-to-be-obsolete inventory.

Everyone playing 40k knew a new edition was coming out, of course: but new editions of 40k generally don't invalidate all the books and supplements from the previous edition right away. So yes, this is still lovely behavior.

iPhone

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

iPhone

Yeah, amaazing how the not-newest iPhone can't make calls to the newest iPhone, that's pretty lovely of Apple.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

How many people buy the 2016 model of a car with no idea that there is going to be a 2017 model? How many car companies sell the 2016 model at full sticker price, one month before the 2017s come out?

Plenty of people buy new cars during the model year end closeouts, and dealerships rarely sell any car at full sticker price regardless of the calendar date.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, amaazing how the not-newest iPhone can't make calls to the newest iPhone, that's pretty lovely of Apple.

thats not what I said but ok

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

I don't think we should be congratulating GW for giving people store credit (not a refund) after buying a product that they designed, printed and sold (in a £90 bundle, no less) knowing that it was would be obsolete in roughly 12 weeks.

Its the absolute bare minimum they could do.

you can still use it

just

open it on up

and read it

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

ijyt posted:

you can still use it

just

open it on up

and read it

So what are the contents of a GW 40k book release, in your mind? Do you feel that its interactions with the mechanics of the game constitute some of its value?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

thats not what I said but ok

panascope posted:

Plenty of people buy new cars during the model year end closeouts, and dealerships rarely sell any car at full sticker price regardless of the calendar date.

Yes, yes they do. The key thing here is information, dude. Everyone knows a new car is going to come out next year. But unlike the rules for a game, the new car isn't going to severely cut into the ability of people who bought the old car to keep driving it.

GW's new game rules invalidate stuff they were selling at full price weeks ago. The people who paid full price for those products were essentially lied to. It's a lie of ommission. GW could have announced 6 months ago that their next edition of 40k would not be backwards compatible with existing rulebooks. They had to have known by then. By not announcing it, and continuing to make and sell products for an edition about to be obsoleted, they are decieving their customers for profit.

Car companies and phone companies are not comparable. They are not deceiving their customers to sell products at full price knowing that those products' utility will soon be seriously undercut by their next product which they have been developing for a year in secret.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, yes they do. The key thing here is information, dude. Everyone knows a new car is going to come out next year. But unlike the rules for a game, the new car isn't going to severely cut into the ability of people who bought the old car to keep driving it.

GW's new game rules invalidate stuff they were selling at full price weeks ago. The people who paid full price for those products were essentially lied to. It's a lie of ommission. GW could have announced 6 months ago that their next edition of 40k would not be backwards compatible with existing rulebooks. They had to have known by then. By not announcing it, and continuing to make and sell products for an edition about to be obsoleted, they are decieving their customers for profit.

Car companies and phone companies are not comparable. They are not deceiving their customers to sell products at full price knowing that those products' utility will soon be seriously undercut by their next product which they have been developing for a year in secret.

Why are you incessantly posting about cars, this is the trad games subforum.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MCPeePants posted:

So what are the contents of a GW 40k book release, in your mind? Do you feel that its interactions with the mechanics of the game constitute some of its value?

They have fluff, and rules. Unless you get rid of a rulebook, you always have that ruleset to use. Gathering Storm was a bunch of fluff, with extra rules to play out that fluff if you want.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Nothing is stopping you from playing 7th edition warham forever.

panascope fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
11th March 2017: Gathering Storm - Rise of the Primarch is released.

22nd April 2017:

Forty two days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

Why are you incessantly posting about cars, this is the trad games subforum.

I didn't bring up cars, panascope did:

panascope posted:

How many people buy cars the day before the new models launch? Should they get a refund too? That they're offering some sort of refund just shows that Games Workshop is really striving to make the best game possible with a dedication to user experience.

And then we have this gem:

panascope posted:

Yes, you're right. Old obsolete rules systems have exactly the same value as brand new ones. The player base for an old game definitely continues to all keep playing that game even after a new edition comes out. A person's expectations when they decide to pay for a game are not ever at all based on the likelihood of finding opponents that want to play it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:psyduck: Stop.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't bring up cars, panascope did:

And then we have this gem:

Yes, you're right. Old obsolete rules systems have exactly the same value as brand new ones. The player base for an old game definitely continues to all keep playing that game even after a new edition comes out. A person's expectations when they decide to pay for a game are not ever at all based on the likelihood of finding opponents that want to play it.

I'm glad you agree :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You know what I like? I like how Dark Age's rules are 100% free and if you have a print version they will swap it at no charge if you see them at a convention.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
JUST SHUT UP YOU TWO AND gently caress ALREADY

JFC

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola posted:

JFC

What about us bby?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

JFC

Lets dissect this post

quote:

stop posting

You see this is the opposite of what a forum is for - it is for posting. It seems this thread gets easily confused, as they think GW is a bad company for some reason and have turned offering reimbursement into a Bad Thing™.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

ijyt posted:

They have fluff, and rules. Unless you get rid of a rulebook, you always have that ruleset to use. Gathering Storm was a bunch of fluff, with extra rules to play out that fluff if you want.

panascope posted:

Yep, those are true things. But don't you feel like one of the great things about 40K is that other people play it? Like, the community at large or whatever, and the social expectations certainly seems to be in my experience that the community at large will play with the latest releases. So if such a recent book's rules are no longer valid for what I'm going to (maybe unfairly) call "standard play" doesn't that rub you just a little bit the wrong way?

Note I still think it's a cool thing to offer refunds.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I wish I could whip you all with hoses

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

My copy of Runewars came today and I look forward to putting the miniatures together and seeing both if it is any good, and if so is it gooder than Warhammer

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MCPeePants posted:

Yep, those are true things. But don't you feel like one of the great things about 40K is that other people play it? Like, the community at large or whatever, and the social expectations certainly seems to be in my experience that the community at large will play with the latest releases. So if such a recent book's rules are no longer valid for what I'm going to (maybe unfairly) call "standard play" doesn't that rub you just a little bit the wrong way?

Note I still think it's a cool thing to offer refunds.

No because the majority of 40k players are the worst including me, so my group just play at each others places instead of gross stores.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

My copy of Runewars came today and I look forward to putting the miniatures together and seeing both if it is any good, and if so is it gooder than Warhammer

I'm really enjoying it. The maneuver dial is sorta similar to X-Wing, but also includes the initiative, so what you do influences when it happens and it's very tense and interesting.

ijyt posted:

No because the majority of 40k players are the worst including me, so my group just play at each others places instead of gross stores.

Nerds love the new hotness. If you don't love the new hotness and want to get it all up on your body then I don't know how to relate to you at all.

Do you mean to play 7th with your friends? Isn't it understandable that people wouldn't?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

You see this is the opposite of what a forum is for - it is for posting. It seems this thread gets easily confused, as they think GW is a bad company for some reason and have turned offering reimbursement into a Bad Thing™.

Offering reimbursement is good. It's also an admission that they're at fault for doing something lovely, and that's also a big change for the better.

But they still did the lovely thing, their band-aid on the problem isn't enough, and they should just stop doing the lovely thing. It's as easy as announcing externally as soon as the decision is made internally to obsolete a current product. Which other companies do, proving it's possible.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Leperflesh posted:

Read his nickname aloud

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

What about us bby?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Gumdrop Larry posted:

A guy at my club is bringing it this week. I'm not going to buy into a new game, but I'm really curious to see how it plays.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Not a viking posted:

A guy at my club is bringing it this week. I'm not going to buy into a new game, but I'm really curious to see how it plays.

It uses little cardboard dials to lock in maneuvers, but other than that it's not too bad to proxy for. I'm sure there will be mdf bases for it before long, and then you can slot basically whatever into it. Roommate and I made some cardboard proxy materials while we wait on shipping for second core box, and it's lovely and cumbersome but manageable. I know a guy that plans to use his LotR Elves as the elf army when it's released.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
hey everyone just chill out and listen to some good synthwave imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1X23jtvMA

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I don't understand.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol Death Thread comes through with some quality GW defending livens up my rainy Monday afternoon

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I like the shift. It's fun to poo poo on 40k in the 40k thread and defend GW at all costs in here.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

this sounds horrible tbh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

hey everyone just chill out and listen to some good synthwave imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1X23jtvMA

I think in one of the previous death threads you posted a youtube video of some weird (drone?) metal. It was just two people, a dude and a lady, and the lady was on drums. It was like a long piece, 10+ minutes, and I liked it but I can't find it now, I've forgotten what they were called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I think in one of the previous death threads you posted a youtube video of some weird (drone?) metal. It was just two people, a dude and a lady, and the lady was on drums. It was like a long piece, 10+ minutes, and I liked it but I can't find it now, I've forgotten what they were called.

ijyt and panascope.

• Locked thread