Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wix or Napa gold is my go to generic filter recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Napa gold and oreillys inhouse microguard filters are both made by wix, so really you're just recommending the same filter. :v:

I'm using a k&n because I'm a special snowflake that wants a nut to wrench the filter off due to nearby exhaust pipes on the 3.0. And castrol edge.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
We are having some issues with our car, and we've had a couple people look at it and it's still doing the same things. It's now our only car, so we need to get this figured out asap.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, new engine as of 500 miles ago.

It's falling on its face and losing all power, it also loses clutch pressure as well but that's intermittent. It's cutting out at 2800 to 3100 and won't go into boost when it's warmed up. When it's cold the cars okay, and it's also dying when at idle randomly.
It has a new clutch slave, new EGR, new MAF, new copper core NGKR plugs gapped to .025 which is what our friend who's worked on tons of speed proteges has told us to gap them to.

It didn't have a check engine light on until today, and I'm not near the car to get any codes off of it currently, but can do that after work.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The new CX5 looks so loving nice. Mazda is crushing it nowadays.

Also of note - they confirmed that CarPlay & Android Auto is coming this year, and will be available on all the MazdaCommand system cars.

Does this mean that it's able to be loaded onto previous years? I've got a 2016 CX5 GT.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I picked up a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for a song last week, but it was 4 quarts low on oil (!!!) when I got it, despite being serviced by a dealer to the tune of $3k two months ago. When I cleaned the whole car, I found a lot of unburnt oil in the exhaust, and I have not seen any major oil loss since topping off the oil. I'm guessing it's just oil seeping out the exhaust side of the turbo, because it doesn't smoke or leak. Poking around Mazda forums, it sounds like leaky seals on K04 turbos are normal, but Mazdaspeed forums are also the absolute worst. Here's hoping this wasn't a mistake. If it ends up needing a turbo, it isn't the end of the world (I paid $2500, and it's a garaged, one owner car), but I'd prefer to just tweak the oil weight and hope for the best.

Has anyone rebuilt a K04 here, and did you end up getting it balanced, or did you just mark the current position and live with the fear of it grenading?

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

MrDeSaussure posted:

Does this mean that it's able to be loaded onto previous years? I've got a 2016 CX5 GT.
Mazda mentioned some previous gen Mazda Connect systems would be able to get it only with a small hardware upgrade, but I think the internals of the 16 and 17 system are identical so I'd think it'd be software only.

I just purchased a 16.5 GT this weekend. The 17's are sexy as hell but Mazda was putting a ton of incentives to clear out the 16s and the value proposition too tempting.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
$2500 for a Speed3 really makes me depressed for when I sell my Speed6 within the next year :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

$2500 for a Speed3 really makes me depressed for when I sell my Speed6 within the next year :smith:

People still seem to think they're worth $10K because "IT'S A RARE CAR" and then six months later accept the sub $5K offer.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Speed3 I can understand. They made that for more than two years.
Or am I being that guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

The Speed3 I can understand. They made that for more than two years.
Or am I being that guy.

You're being that guy.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Does your car have more then two quarts of oil in it right now? If so, it's probably worth more then $2500.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Makes me feel fairly good about getting $15.5k trade in for my (pretty much immaculate low mileage) MS3, even if the dealer did put it straight back on the lot for $20k

I'm on the other side of the world so of course it bears no relation to US prices but I think even for here I got out at a good time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't look at my cars as something I'm going to make money off of when I sell them. I drive and enjoy them.

Or I do when they're not loving broken.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

wzm posted:

Does your car have more then two quarts of oil in it right now? If so, it's probably worth more then $2500.

Yeah I stay on top of that poo poo at least. The big cons are a non functioning proximity key, a random intermittent CEL from a failed O2 sensor (had it diagnosed but never fixed), and rust.

Oh god the rust. But that's what happens when you use an AWD sports car as your winter ride in Michigan.

I should just put it up for sale this week. I doubt I'll take it out of the garage until November. Give me time to hunt down a wagon for the move across the country.

Rhyno posted:

I don't look at my cars as something I'm going to make money off of when I sell them. I drive and enjoy them.

Or I do when they're not loving broken.

I'm nowhere near trying to make money on it considering what it cost me almost five years ago, I'm just delusional about its value.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

Yeah I stay on top of that poo poo at least. The big cons are a non functioning proximity key, a random intermittent CEL from a failed O2 sensor (had it diagnosed but never fixed), and rust.

Oh god the rust. But that's what happens when you use an AWD sports car as your winter ride in Michigan.

I should just put it up for sale this week. I doubt I'll take it out of the garage until November. Give me time to hunt down a wagon for the move across the country.

I'm nowhere near trying to make money on it considering what it cost me almost five years ago, I'm just delusional about its value.

Okay I'm curious now, what shape is the car in, what color, mileage etc? What do you want to get out of it? And if you don't mind, what did you pay for it? I paid $14K for mine six years ago.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Black cherry, the only color it should have come in. Hit 100k miles this month; it's a 2006. I'll post pics up tomorrow.

Paid $13k in 2012.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Revvik posted:

Black cherry, the only color it should have come in. Hit 100k miles this month; it's a 2006. I'll post pics up tomorrow.

Paid $13k in 2012.

Revvik posted:

Keep up with this line of thinking and sell it to me for beans.

At least it isn't this bad.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/6083370722.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 20, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I guess I feel pretty good about getting $13k for my 08.5 MS3 last year then. Though it did have only 49k miles and no modzzzzzz which definitely helps.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Keep up with this line of thinking and sell it to me for beans.

At least it isn't this bad.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/6083370722.html

Jesus, that's some poo poo.
https://imgur.com/gallery/kV5h9
Some unflattering photos since I have to wash it still before I lock it away for the summer.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Has anyone heard anything about the infotainment displays in lateish model Mazda3s leading to break-in issues? I've been seriously considering a '17, but I live in Baltimore where people will smash your window if they see literally anything in your car. That display in the 3 looks like someone just left their Tom Tom chilling on the dash, and I don't have faith in an agitated crackhead to exercise due diligence and realize that it's a part of the car and not really worth the hassle of getting out. This is really the only issue that's holding me back. I already deal with a broken window every couple of years for a car that has literally nothing visible inside.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nobody really steals OEM radios.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nobody really steals OEM radios.

I was getting at the idea that someone might think it's a GPS someone left on the dash, because that's what it looks like. I don't have this concern with any of the in-dash displays on other cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There are quite a few other manufacturers using similar setups and it's only going to get more common

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know crackheads gonna crackhead but lol if you're breaking into cars for gps units in 2017.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

wzm posted:

Has anyone rebuilt a K04 here, and did you end up getting it balanced, or did you just mark the current position and live with the fear of it grenading?
I think I would just buy a low mileage used K04. I'm not sure that it's worth rebuilding. As far as I can tell the community seems to regard it as a disposable turbo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Has anyone ever replaced the front suspension on a 1st gen Mazda 3? If so, how tough it is to do?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
As far as suspension goes its pretty straightforward, drive out the strut pinch bolt at the top of the spindle and then you'll probably have to hammer out the strut by pounding on the spindle. Then remove the three bolts on the strut top bearing at the top of the strut tower and the strut & spring assembly will drop out. Installation is reverse of removal. You'll probably want to replace the strut top bearings and swaybar endlinks while you're at it.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Has anyone ever replaced the front suspension on a 1st gen Mazda 3? If so, how tough it is to do?

The worst part is getting the knuckle to slip off the bottom of the strut, especially if you live in an area with rust/corrosion. I usually have to beat the poo poo out of them to get them out. Do something like this:

and while putting downward force on the control arm hammer down on the top of the knuckle preferably with a strong air hammer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

:stare:

I live in SW Ontario. The GTA to be specific.

I have a set of jackstands and no air tools.

...I'm taking this to a shop aren't I.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
As long as you can loosen/remove the pinch bolt and strut top bearing nuts you can do this with hand tools and a BFH.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

I live in SW Ontario. The GTA to be specific.

I have a set of jackstands and no air tools.

...I'm taking this to a shop aren't I.

Check out this video/channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__IR48epPw

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm don't have my manual handy, and if I can't figure it out I'll go take the elevator to the garage to snoop around my car, but does anyone know whetjer a 1.5gen 3 hatch provide any kind of spot on/under the front and rear bumpers where I can tie down a bow/stern line for a kayak I've got on the roof rack? I'm racking my brain and I can't remember off the top of my head. Wonder if anyone else with a 3 hatch does any light boating and ties their stuff down similarly? I just bought a j-carrier for my kayak and I'm hoping not to have to do anything weird with the bow/stern lines.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I couldn't find any place to hook bow/stern lines on for a canoe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My worst nightmare, coming to life in the form of an internet post reply.

Thanks though! I'll have to come up with some other spot to hook these down I guess.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm thinking of getting new wheels for my Mazda 3. I have a 2016 sGT ... with 18" inch wheels. I've had a blowout recently and need to replace the tires, looking at replacing the wheels while I'm at it. Stock wheels are apparently quite heavy @ 26-27 pound a wheel.

TireRack has some options ...

Kosei K1 TS 17" @ 14.6 lb $196.00
Kosei K4R 17" @ 15.4 lbs $169.00
"Sport Edition" P4 17" @ 18.5 lbs $104.00

Not really a custom wheel person but the suspension with the 18s seems a bit harsh and 17" seems like a better tire size. Curious how much of an impact getting a lighter wheel would be. Not really concerned with the performance so much as the ride overall - it sounds like the lighter wheels would be smoother in general.

e: Someone hosed up.

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 1, 2017

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I was under the impression that it wasn't so much the lighter weight of the smaller wheels as more sidewall, etc. to help cushion things a bit. I'd thought about making the change too but wasn't sure the investment was worth it. (Although I imagine it might help with road noise too, which is the first thing I'd like to try and tend to if I end up driving a lot of miles again).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I drove a base with 16" wheels for a while and didn't notice it riding much differently to my 2.5 with the 18"s. I guess there may be suspension differences between the models though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, it's usually the extra sidewall that gives you more cushion. Depends on the suspension setup but almost always it's noticeable going to a smaller size. Still, lighter wheels are the best place to reduce rotational mass which will improve acceleration a bit. This you may not notice if you don't drive aggressively but 10 lbs/wheel is a pretty decent weight loss. Have to factor in tire weight as well as they vary pretty widely. If you aren't going much wider on the tire though it's probably minimally different (or less since again, smaller diameter).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I switched from the stock 18x7" ms3 wheel to some 17x8" rpf1s. With a set of kumho tires on the rpf1s, and OEM tires on the original wheels, I think I saved about 5 lbs per wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

MetaJew posted:

I switched from the stock 18x7" ms3 wheel to some 17x8" rpf1s. With a set of kumho tires on the rpf1s, and OEM tires on the original wheels, I think I saved about 5 lbs per wheel.

Any difference in ride quality or road noise?