Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It told me that if you don't negotiate, you're probably getting ripped off. This is true in many aspects of life.

Agreed. I'd just rather not work with someone who tried to rip me off to this extent as $5k on a $23k project is ludicrous. It sounds like there will be more of these projects in your future and building relationships with trustworthy contractors who do quality work is invaluable, as is having a stellar real estate agent. As mentioned previously I give you enormous credit for your motivation and drive, it's not easy with a full time job to take on such projects and despite the setbacks you don't seem discouraged at all, which is impressive. I wish you the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or is a part-time worker, or is a student, or is a homemaker who doesn't report income jointly with their spouse, or is a retiree who's not yet eligible for pension/SS payments ... there's a whole list of reasons someone could be making $6,700/yr.

It's this. I'm a student.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

socketwrencher posted:

Agreed. I'd just rather not work with someone who tried to rip me off to this extent as $5k on a $23k project is ludicrous.

I can see it. Some people just have a hard on for bargaining. Being a 'tough negotiator' is an important part of their identity or something. Driving down the price feels like winning, paying the asking price makes them feel like a chump. A contractor probably runs into a lot of those guys, so he builds in a margin to let them talk him down to a fair price and everyone walks away feeling good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You are getting more quotes before you shower this guy in hundreds right?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

You are getting more quotes before you shower this guy in hundreds right?

He already said he had his top however many contractors put in bids and then chose this one.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I can see it. Some people just have a hard on for bargaining. Being a 'tough negotiator' is an important part of their identity or something. Driving down the price feels like winning, paying the asking price makes them feel like a chump. A contractor probably runs into a lot of those guys, so he builds in a margin to let them talk him down to a fair price and everyone walks away feeling good.

To each their own. It's just not my thing. I wouldn't walk away feeling good on either side of that transaction, but that's because I'd have the quote itemized and would be able to justify each charge even against lower competing quotes. I can see knocking off $500 but not $5k. Maybe I've just seen too many people get ripped off by contractors, often elderly people or those who just don't know any better. If OP had accepted the quote without negotiation, the contractor wouldn't have volunteered to lower the price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Munki posted:

bEatMBisonJ

Gotta say, charging ahead and installing a bath tub according to the original plan would have been a hell of a finishing move

I'm just gonna sit back and assume he's blowing smoke up our asses while continuing on with his original plan.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rhyno posted:

I'm just gonna sit back and assume he's blowing smoke up our asses while continuing on with his original plan.
I really hope this is the case, because out of all likely options it has the most potential for hilarity.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

god i hope so. also this thread has made me look at my old house as i'm moving out and lol the hot water heater is a 20A breaker ganged with a 15A breaker.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I really hope this is the case, because out of all likely options it has the most potential for hilarity.

And think of all the money I would save... So tempting...

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

And think of all the money I would save... So tempting...

What if you promise wanton pig slaughter luaus and tropical yoga-mat diseases? I'm sure you can convince at least a few goons to do the work for free.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The actual likely bad end is OP getting a list of things that the engineers will need to do then saying "sweet peace out" and trying to do them himself, then installing a bathtub in several shattered pieces on his kitchen island

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

So the engineer just left. Guy totally reminded me of the bookstore owner from The Neverending Story. Old, very soft spoken. Initially seemed taken aback a bit by the situation but not outwardly so. He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags. But either way, it sounded like he was just going to sister in some 4x10's next to the joists and leave the old ones in place.

He's going to draft up plans and said I should have them in a couple of weeks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bEatmstrJ posted:

covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags

:redflag:s exist for a reason

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags.

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa your engineer is a loving goon who has been following this thread and wants to see some drat comedy already. Good on ya, stealth goon :cheers:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags.

Uh. You got yourself some engineer there.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa your engineer is a loving goon who has been following this thread and wants to see some drat comedy already. Good on ya, stealth goon :cheers:

It was Kid Sinister :ninja:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
pro tip did he say what sort of "engineer" he was? because you might want to find someone who's not a software engineer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Social engineer

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

So the engineer just left. Guy totally reminded me of the bookstore owner from The Neverending Story. Old, very soft spoken. Initially seemed taken aback a bit by the situation but not outwardly so. He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags. But either way, it sounded like he was just going to sister in some 4x10's next to the joists and leave the old ones in place.

He's going to draft up plans and said I should have them in a couple of weeks.

Hahahahahah we're getting a kitchen tub photo :allears:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Bad Munki posted:

Social engineer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It was Kid Sinister :ninja:

Well that would be the best thing ever, wouldn't it

Kid Sinister gets everyone all riled up, then scams himself in as a faux engineer that'll recommend really shady poo poo, and the hiding thereof, THEN he actually reports it once it's all sealed up and done, just to be extra spiteful. I love it. Better than Hamlet.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

OP better not wuss out on this thread, please give us updates no matter how embarrassing this gets

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

I'm going to let the contractor decide how they want to move forward. I didn't suggest anything and I'm sure the contractor doesn't want to risk their license. The project is definitely getting inspected one way or another so when the inspector sees the subfloor is dropped they may have questions and the contractor will be answering them. But nothing has been set in stone yet, so don't get too excited.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When do we find out why the tub is sunken? Grand reveal at the end.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

The Dave posted:

When do we find out why the tub is sunken? Grand reveal at the end.

It's purely aesthetic. The infinity tub sounds nice, but its nothing that fancy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's purely aesthetic. The infinity tub sounds nice, but its nothing that fancy.

Haaaaaaawhat

I love this thread so much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You wanted to make it so the floor is harder to clean and nasty water pools around the base of the tub?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kastein posted:

You wanted to make it so the floor is harder to clean and nasty water pools around the base of the tub?

No, he wanted a solid gold thread and that was the only way to accomplish it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If you wanted the bottom of the tub to appear somewhat perceptibly flush with the floor I guess you weren't kidding about being more of a designer than an engineer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Godspeed OP

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

No, he wanted a solid gold thread and that was the only way to accomplish it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

throw some wool in me because im dyeing

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

c'mon dude, you can do better. How about a M.C. Escher tub?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm amazed at how simultaneously humble yet braggadocios this comparison is.

Guys I'm like a president, but a lovely one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Bloop posted:

I'm amazed at how simultaneously humble yet braggadocios this comparison is.

Guys I'm like a president, but a lovely one.
When he retires, he'll paint portraits of the contractors who die during this remodel.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm going to let the contractor decide how they want to move forward. I didn't suggest anything and I'm sure the contractor doesn't want to risk their license. The project is definitely getting inspected one way or another so when the inspector sees the subfloor is dropped they may have questions and the contractor will be answering them. But nothing has been set in stone yet, so don't get too excited.

I'd ask for the guy's engineering licenses number and look it up on the state registry (super easy in Illinois, imagine it's the same in California). You want stamped drawings. That means the engineer is putting their own rear end on the line civilly and criminally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

But nothing has been set in stone yet, so don't get too excited.

Is the tub going to be set in stone?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

bEatmstrJ posted:

So the engineer just left..... He took measurements of my entire house...

This is why the comments earlier about engineers charging $500 for stamped drawings made no sense to me. Figure an hour to measure, an hour travel time, 2-3 hours to draw up plans, an hour to print/scan... these folks aren't working for $90/hr.

bEatmstrJ posted:

and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags.

This engineer works for the same company as your contractor, right? This is quite an operation.

bEatmstrJ posted:

But either way, it sounded like he was just going to sister in some 4x10's next to the joists and leave the old ones in place.

You sure he's talking about 4x10s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Do you think if the inspector sees it he'll make you vacate the premises until the problem is fixed?

Because that would be hilarious.

• Locked thread