Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Carl Sagan's Cosmos series is being streamed in a marathon session on Twitch. Quality

https://www.twitch.tv/cosmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, D1E is actually serious about Derek? :lol::lol::lol:

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
At least one space game has managed to get doors working.

https://gfycat.com/MammothDifferentGhostshrimp

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

trucutru posted:

Wait, D1E is actually serious about Derek? :lol::lol::lol:
He said something critical of Derek a few threads ago and Derek put him on ignore. Usually putting people on ignore is a self-own but in this case it was like a double-own extravaganza where D1E laughs at Derek every now and then but Derek can't see what he said because he actually put him on ignore and every time either of them posts I chuckle.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

How embarrassing

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Spatial posted:

On the 1,000 player thing, it's worth plugging in few figures to get a feel for that scale. Let's assume a bare minimum update packet of 64 bytes per player, with updates sent out every 50ms. If all the players are close enough to interact this is a 12MB/sec download for the client, meaning a minimum connection speed of 100 megabits is needed for a decent time. On the server side this is means a peak upstream bandwidth requirement of 1,000 x 12MB/sec, or 96,000 megabits.

So you can see why it's not particularly practical. On average it would be more like a quarter or half of this much, but the packet size would in reality be bigger, so it probably balances out.

If we assume the server is fully loaded with poopsockers 8 hours per day, this amounts to 10TB of traffic per month just for this one instance. How much does that cost?

And for some reason Shitizens still believe that if SC ever comes out it won't have a monthly subscription fee. The only way they can keep forking out cash for bandwidth and server time is if they monetize the monthly costs some how. Buying ships in game post release is a big no-no to them too.

When it finally release in June of 2029 and no more copies are sold, the servers will go down by August. And gently caress anyone who thinks that they will ever be able to run a community hosted server like the KS said. They are going to have to do so much computational power with AWS that it will never work outside of that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Please tell me we're making fun of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juYaR-m18Y8&t=1194s

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

This is some blog worth poo poo right there son. :bahgawd:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

thatguy posted:

He said something critical of Derek a few threads ago and Derek put him on ignore. Usually putting people on ignore is a self-own but in this case it was like a double-own extravaganza where D1E laughs at Derek every now and then but Derek can't see what he said because he actually put him on ignore and every time either of them posts I chuckle.

Yeah now he just doesn't like Derek and he is trying to play the "concerned and worried" post.

It's like trying to catch Capone on a technicality like tax fraud but less effective and more whiny.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Derek Smart: I'm like a dog with a boner

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This is one of the stupidest things I ever saw. gently caress me! Give me money you stupid idiots! I give you Vision looooong time.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
This is from october 16 last year: 10 reasons to buy star citizen

http://starcitizenreferralcode.net/star-citizen/10-reasons-buy-star-citizen/

It has some good comedy in it, here's an excerpt

Dreams and lies.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

MeLKoR posted:

This is one of the stupidest things I ever saw. gently caress me! Give me money you stupid idiots! I give you Vision looooong time.

It's like they all know how poo poo the FPS module is, so they always just basic strafe or stand still and shoot each other on the honor system.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

DarkRefreshment posted:

Yeah now he just doesn't like Derek and he is trying to play the "concerned and worried" post.

It's like trying to catch Capone on a technicality like tax fraud but less effective and more whiny.
I'm a fan of the play by D1E. He makes a thread about Derek which Derek can't read because he refuses to take D1E off ignore. This leads to Derek attempting to respond with this post but he doesn't actually know what he's responding to so he just starts randomly quoting poo poo. This is more funny than whatever some random FYAD guy would have made in my opinion.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so they are finally getting rid of LUA for ships but what the heck are they replacing it with? how are ship variables like speed and thrust going to change? are they going to be individually hardcoded? are they going to switch to XML or something?

quote:

Vehicles No Longer Use Lua

This is a huge step forward on the code side.
I'm trying to figure out the benefits of doing that

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

so they are finally getting rid of LUA for ships but what the heck are they replacing it with? how are ship variables like speed and thrust going to change? are they going to be individually hardcoded? are they going to switch to XML or something?

I think it used to be XML before some nerds HACKED INTO THE MAINFRAME (opened the files in an XML editor) and figured out all the numbers.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I didn't get a chance to post this in the QCS thread.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"drat Derek! Back at it again doxxing white mans."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also why the gently caress this. Why.

quote:

Subsumption Base Functionality

This is the initial release of the foundation technology that drives all of the AI, mission, dynamic content, and conversational logic. The mission content previously created with FlowGraph has been replaced and the implementation time to achieve a desired effect has been cut dramatically.
For those that don't know, Flow Graph is a CryEngine tool that helps programmers change or create content easily (well, more easily). It's built into CryEngine and manages everything from map triggers to sound effects, from firing animations to dialogue. You can even make important gameplay changes or entirely new gameplay without having to gently caress about too badly in the weird mess that is CryEngine.

What exactly are they switching to? Flow Graph uses XML files that can be easily edited and cataloged. Are they really switching to something that much better? Are they hardcoding quests, text and a shitload of other NPC calls directly into the game now?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:chanpop:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

No LUA, no XML, no cheats. Pure 100% unadulterated PHYSICS!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

MinorInconvenience posted:

Thank you to all who answered. But if this is technologically impossible, why aren't others in the industry (other than our dear Dr. Smart) speaking out? Are they silent because there is a one in a million chance CIG can pull it off? Or just run of the mill cowardice?

George "Duke Nukem" Broussard came out swinging at Star Citizen on twitter a while back and that's saying something about vapor ware .

As someone else stated there's nothing to gain from pointing out the obvious.. either from the media or other developers...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

For those that don't know, Flow Graph is a CryEngine tool that helps programmers change or create content easily (well, more easily). It's built into CryEngine and manages everything from map triggers to sound effects, from firing animations to dialogue. You can even make important gameplay changes or entirely new gameplay without having to gently caress about too badly in the weird mess that is CryEngine.

What exactly are they switching to? Flow Graph uses XML files that can be easily edited and cataloged. Are they really switching to something that much better? Are they hardcoding quests, text and a shitload of other NPC calls directly into the game now?

trucutru posted:

No LUA, no XML, no cheats. Pure 100% unadulterated PHYSICS!
Physics-based dialogue and subsumption.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
I think CiG should create their own scripting language in addition to the alien ones

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

Something is bothering me, the mental backflippery and window lickery on :reddit: :

Hypothetically, if DS's wife was to work at his company and has not fleeced the public for $147mill, according to Reddit, that would be terrible.

Reality, CR's wife works at his company and has done since day 1 and has fleeced the public for $147mill, according to Reddit, this is good.

If Chris does a bad thing and Derek does it as well, then it is ok. This is one of the reasons why they are so desperate to character assassinate Derek. They think it absolves Chris from all wrong doing, and ensures the game will be great.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Roberts Brand Programming Language

~Taste the Fidelity~

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

~Taste the Fidelity~

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

~Taste the Fidelity~

Turing incomplete.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

OK so some background is necessary here. Chris Roberts is a man living in two times. In one time, it is the 1990's, and he is trying to turn PC gaming into a Hollywood movie. He has never left that time, and never given up on that white whale. Rather than realize that the gaming industry moved on without him, and in fact the "game as movie" days were in fact some of the worst games ever made, he instead thinks that with today's technology he can finally make it happen the way he pictured it back then in his damaged mind.

In the other time, it is the year 2014567 and he views himself as a cross between Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. The culture at CIG is now down to fear and survival. The experienced and confident developers - those who have worked on successful products and shipped titles - have left, due to recognizing that Chris is a complete and total sham. The people trying to make it day to day now have to basically trick a clueless leader into thinking that progress is being made on things that don't exist at all. The best way to make something real to someone stupid is to give it a name.

"Realistic Thruster Modeling" is one of the earliest lies in the project. By telling Chris "Yeah we're getting off LUA for the thruster modeling and moving to something else" they get him off their backs for a few more months, maybe even years, as the "ships" continue to NOCLIP through space with no physics whatsoever.

Switching from Flow Graph to whatever is the same kind of gambit. They had to name their non-existent AI "Subsumption" to make Chris think he invented something. There is no subsumption AI (spoiler alert) but if there was, it would obviously benefit from a super-secret sauce of proprietary doodads, so that's what Chris is told he's gonna get.

The networking aspect here is completely broken as well, so Chris gets more bullshit spat at him in the form of "meshes" and "network 2.0". This is going on constantly. Everyone's job at CIG is to give Chris the impression that he's a visionary inventing things, a movie director and master storyteller, and a brilliant game designer. That's the entire function of every last member of the staff here. There is no game, there are no plans - everything all day every day is a mad rush to put a new coat of paint on yesterday's failures, and come up with a new word or new concept that will be credited with being able to overcome "blockers" (such as nothing working) and accelerate the pace of development.

That's why all these buzzwords are accompanied by phrases such as "implementation time to achieve a desired effect has been cut dramatically" and "This is a huge step forward on the code side." Boots on the ground at CIG aren't trying to fool the public - they're trying to keep their jobs by continually fooling Chris. Sure, Chris: you're single-handedly creating the AI singularity while simultaneously eclipsing Moore's Law and also recreating an entire industry from the ground up through the sheer force of your extra chromosome. Here's some Subsumption, some Netcode 2.0, and a side-order of Fidelity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That d1e thread was pretty bad and kinda sad but it was worth it to watch KiowaChief self-own like that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For real, nobody needs to take things personally on behalf of derek smart, I'm sure he's capable of doing that himself.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Colostomy Bag posted:

Turing incomplete.

Compiling incapable.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

OK so some background is necessary here. Chris Roberts is a man living in two times. In one time, it is the 1990's, and he is trying to turn PC gaming into a Hollywood movie. He has never left that time, and never given up on that white whale. Rather than realize that the gaming industry moved on without him, and in fact the "game as movie" days were in fact some of the worst games ever made, he instead thinks that with today's technology he can finally make it happen the way he pictured it back then in his damaged mind.

In the other time, it is the year 2014567 and he views himself as a cross between Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. The culture at CIG is now down to fear and survival. The experienced and confident developers - those who have worked on successful products and shipped titles - have left, due to recognizing that Chris is a complete and total sham. The people trying to make it day to day now have to basically trick a clueless leader into thinking that progress is being made on things that don't exist at all. The best way to make something real to someone stupid is to give it a name.

"Realistic Thruster Modeling" is one of the earliest lies in the project. By telling Chris "Yeah we're getting off LUA for the thruster modeling and moving to something else" they get him off their backs for a few more months, maybe even years, as the "ships" continue to NOCLIP through space with no physics whatsoever.

Switching from Flow Graph to whatever is the same kind of gambit. They had to name their non-existent AI "Subsumption" to make Chris think he invented something. There is no subsumption AI (spoiler alert) but if there was, it would obviously benefit from a super-secret sauce of proprietary doodads, so that's what Chris is told he's gonna get.

The networking aspect here is completely broken as well, so Chris gets more bullshit spat at him in the form of "meshes" and "network 2.0". This is going on constantly. Everyone's job at CIG is to give Chris the impression that he's a visionary inventing things, a movie director and master storyteller, and a brilliant game designer. That's the entire function of every last member of the staff here. There is no game, there are no plans - everything all day every day is a mad rush to put a new coat of paint on yesterday's failures, and come up with a new word or new concept that will be credited with being able to overcome "blockers" (such as nothing working) and accelerate the pace of development.

That's why all these buzzwords are accompanied by phrases such as "implementation time to achieve a desired effect has been cut dramatically" and "This is a huge step forward on the code side." Boots on the ground at CIG aren't trying to fool the public - they're trying to keep their jobs by continually fooling Chris. Sure, Chris: you're single-handedly creating the AI singularity while simultaneously eclipsing Moore's Law and also recreating an entire industry from the ground up through the sheer force of your extra chromosome. Here's some Subsumption, some Netcode 2.0, and a side-order of Fidelity.

:eyepop:

KiowaChief
Jul 12, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

That d1e thread was pretty bad and kinda sad but it was worth it to watch KiowaChief self-own like that

Try harder

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
mirificus can you please post screencaps of the QCS thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KiowaChief posted:

Try harder

No seriously, when D1E posted a loving QCS thread I was all "what the hell is he thinking, what could he possibly hope to accomplish?"

A few posts later I was all, "...Oh."

Like thatguy can play it cool and DapperDon's alright, but you were basically a cat chasing after a laser pointer held by a bored qcs troll. Do you just have zero chill or something?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

its unbelievable. they license out an engine and have to re-write the renderer, the phsyics engine, the entire networking stack, the AI, all the toolchains (er "pipelines") for creating gameplay functionality, maps, animations, and other assets.

maybe, just MAYBE, they chose the wrong engine?

pretty much the only thing they haven't (claimed) to have re-written from cryengine is the patcher. which is the one thing that needs to get updated.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KiowaChief posted:

Try harder
:ironicat:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Xarbala posted:

No seriously, when D1E posted a loving QCS thread I was all "what the hell is he thinking, what could he possibly hope to accomplish?"
D1E is actually obsessed with Derek, it isn't clever trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chin posted:

D1E is actually obsessed with Derek, it isn't clever trolling.

Oh yeah no, he just won't let the derek thing go and it boggles the mind.