Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Furnaceface posted:

Youre thinking of someone else. My Rangers hatred comes from the fact that they won Mark loving Messier a Cup and not John Vanbiesbrouck. :colbert:

Also Zuccarello is one of my favourite players and I like seeing that little hobbit happy, even if his speech still hasnt come back 100% from that brain trauma. :unsmith:

PS gently caress the Rags and gently caress you go Sens.

Ah poo poo. Thought that was you.

I feel your pain RE: Beezer. Loved him growing up. Although I was more upset that Gartner didn't get one with them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I would be thoroughly pleased with six of the eight remaining teams winning the Cup. I would find it irksome but still kinda neat if the Ducks won. I would absolutely hate it if the Penguins won.

Penguins/Ducks final coming up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

I would be thoroughly pleased with six of the eight remaining teams winning the Cup. I would find it irksome but still kinda neat if the Ducks won. I would absolutely hate it if the Penguins won.

Penguins/Ducks final coming up.

I want Predators vs the Sens, but that seems wildly unlikely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

I remember sneaking out of bed to come downstairs and watch the 3OT game between the canucks and flames in 2004 and waking up all normal the next morning. now I start getting tired during the first intermission of a game and overtime is usually the signal for me to go to sleep. getting old stinks, especially in the context of hockey.

For normal games, trick is to nod off as the first intermission starts and tune back in as they do the highlights in the second intermission, and watch the third period. Like you missed nothing!

For playoffs, just complain on forums.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone cheering for the Preds, wants Mike Ribeiro to have his name on the cup, to join the likes of Patrick Kane and Doug Gilmour as rapists with their name on the Lord Stanley's Cup.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Anyone cheering for the Preds, wants Mike Ribeiro to have his name on the cup, to join the likes of Patrick Kane and Doug Gilmour as rapists with their name on the Lord Stanley's Cup.

Unless Nashville has a rash of injuries Ribeiro won't get his name on the Cup if the Preds won.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You have your name on the cup if you played 41 games in the regular season. Ribeiro played 46.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Suspicious posted:

You have your name on the cup if you played 41 games in the regular season. Ribeiro played 46.

This will sound stupid but doesn't he still have to be on the team? He's with the Admirals

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't you have to suit up for at least one playoff contest?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's either-or, and it's a finals game they would have to suit up for. The commissioner is also allowed to make exceptions, such as if a player didn't meet requirements due to injuries.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

It's an either or thing. Either 41 or more games, or at least a game in the playoffs.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

El Gallinero Gros posted:

generally it 50% of a teams games or one game of the scf. teams can petition otherwise but i doubt theyll do it

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Didnt Katz literally kill someone? As the owner his name goes on too, so we clearly cant cheer for Edmonton.

https://youtu.be/3EkBuKQEkio?t=130

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

fits posted:

generally it 50% of a teams games or one game of the scf. teams can petition otherwise but i doubt theyll do it
Dan Carcillo was granted one in 2015. He didn't appear in the playoffs and had played 39 regular season games.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

shyduck posted:

Dan Carcillo was granted one in 2015. He didn't appear in the playoffs and had played 39 regular season games.

He was concussed and out with injury most of the season, plus I think he walked away from hockey at the end of that season when Montador committed suicide. :smith:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I think a team can petition the league to add a name to the Cup for X reasons and if the league will allow it, the name will get added.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Sash! posted:

As a Pittsburgher living in DC, I enjoy the annual "THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!" that ends somewhere around late April or mid May.

What's up, fellow Pittsburgh ex-pat living in DC? :hfive:

Getting to trash talk my friends and coworkers made the win last year even better. But that definitely swings the other way and if the Caps beat us this year, I will never hear the end of it from Drunk Caps Fans.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't help but scoff at you guys getting tired watching hockey because it might end a 2:30am seeing as for me the last oilers vs sharks game started at 3:30am and I watched every second of it.

Granted, i'm still tired, but I watched it dammit.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
every oilers game but the early one is going to end four hours before ih ave to work up for a 13 hour shift ha ha ha ha hah ah ah ah ha ha hah ha

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
West coast games do sometimes conspire to make me think I have died. That Blackhawks-Kings 3OT in the WCF a few years ago literally felt like a half-waking purgatory.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 25, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Chad Sexington posted:

West coast games do sometimes conspire to make me think I have died. That Blackhawks-Kings 3OT in the WCF a few years ago literally felt like a half-waking purgatory.

That was amazing. I try to watch every OT game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt Katz literally kill someone? As the owner his name goes on too, so we clearly cant cheer for Edmonton.

https://youtu.be/3EkBuKQEkio?t=130

That was Mactavish, their VP of hockey ops.

Katz is the alleged fairy godfather.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

I think a team can petition the league to add a name to the Cup for X reasons and if the league will allow it, the name will get added.

Eddie oclyzk (however the gently caress you spell it) might be like that too

And marc savard (gently caress matt cooke)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In non-horrible-human news, Craig Anderson's up for the Masterton. He and his wife (who recently had a cancer scare) seem like really decent people and it's a pretty :unsmith: story even if it is one about two complete strangers who will never want for money again. Must be a bit weird to be Clarke McArthur in that room though.

"I was told I might not have a normal day of living again and missed a whole season with hotbrain and now I'm a playoff star."
"I cut my finger making chicken once and my wife's been sick."

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 25, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll nominate Mcarthur next year. The votes would have been cast before he had done anything yet.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Similarly Bickell wasn't nominated for the Canes. Instead it was Derek Ryan.

Although they could've nominated either guy anyways, Laperriere won when he would never play a game that season or ever again.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
It's (ugh) Garrioch, but one of the threads mentioned Rhodes recently, and I always loved this story, so here you go.

Capital Facts: Ottawa's goal-scoring goaltender

quote:

In celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday, the Citizen is rolling out one fact each day for 150 days until July 1, highlighting the odd, the fascinating and the important bits of Ottawa history you might not know about.

A goaltender scoring a goal in the NHL is a very rare feat. And, even though the Senators have only been back in the league 25 years, it’s actually taken place in Ottawa.

Though Damian Rhodes didn’t exactly have a memorable career with the Senators from 1995 to 1999, he will be remembered for scoring a goal on Jan. 2, 1999, in a 6-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils at home.

Rhodes was credited with a goal after he deflected the puck into the corner. Lyle Odelein collected the puck and attempted to pass it, but it went all the way down the ice and into the net with the goalie pulled for an extra attacker because of a delayed penalty.

“I probably couldn’t even shoot the puck all the way down the ice,” said Rhodes, who got the puck as a souvenir that night. “It’s probably the only way I’m going to get a goal.”

Hey, they all count, and Rhodes has his spot in history.

— Bruce Garrioch

quote:

Ottawa Senator Goaltender Damian Rhodes holds the #1 puck signifying his first goal as Senator which happend during the game against New Jersey Saturday January 2, 1999. Taken January 3, 1999. Gord Carter for The Ottawa Sun

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Though Damian Rhodes didn’t exactly have a memorable career with the Senators from 1995 to 1999

He won our first ever playoff series you gibbering marshmallow man.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Verizon Center ice is going to be SUPER

https://twitter.com/ChuckBell4/status/856889018054836224

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My only memory of Ron Tugnutt is him trying to catch a shot in his glove, it tore through the laced webbing between his thumb and finger and went into the net. Goal scored, game over.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

My only memory of Ron Tugnutt is him trying to catch a shot in his glove, it tore through the laced webbing between his thumb and finger and went into the net. Goal scored, game over.

I was at that game. It makes a weird sound when 20,000 people all open their mouths and make the "oh fuckin' come ON" gesture at the same time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

I sure don't miss DC weather!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dallas called. They want their ice back

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

iospace posted:

Going birding out of town?

Visiting a friend. Though birding will most certainly occur!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Aphrodite posted:

That was Mactavish, their VP of hockey ops.

Katz is the alleged fairy godfather.

Always makes me lol.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Fun Damien Rhodes fact, one year for christmas I got a Senators jersey with his name on the back. I always meant to ask where the heck they found one of those in Alberta in like 2007 or something but I never got around to it

I wasn't a Sens fan when he played for them so I wasn't even sure who he was at the time

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdXFb0NaFzs

:unsmith:

They're all so excited

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

this is pretty great

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aww it's missing the clip of Ovechkin dumping Kadri and the refs going 'he's got strong legs eh'. I can't track it down I saw it on Twitter the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It was nice of him to lie to Chara about the 5 years, like that. Pump his tires a little.

• Locked thread