Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NPR Journalizard posted:

Oh please, tell me more.

I for one would be thrilled if you could point out any world religion that does not oppress women, and is not a dictatorial regime with a total absence of suffrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Korgan posted:

STOP THE lovely POSTS

STOP THE lovely POSTS

Am I protesting right

Well it's not going to stop the lovely posts, so I don't see why you even bother.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I for one would be thrilled if you could point out any world religion that does not oppress women, and is not a dictatorial regime with a total absence of suffrage.

One of the points she made was that there is a distinction to be made between religion and culture, and I feel you didn't quite grasp that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NPR Journalizard posted:

One of the points she made was that there is a distinction to be made between religion and culture, and I feel you didn't quite grasp that.

A distinction that doesn't actually exist outside of academia.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

A distinction that doesn't actually exist outside of academia.

I believe you are wrong, but cbfed arguing with you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheezle posted:

This is a really fascinating slap fight, guys. Do go on for a few more pages.

I think one of them knows exactly what they're doing but I don't want to spoil it by saying which one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NPR Journalizard posted:

I believe you are wrong, but cbfed arguing with you.

Religion infests, perverts, and attempts to dominate culture in order to propagate, because the greater the number of followers, the greater the power held by those in charge, and the acquisition and retention of power over others is all religion has ever been about.

It's really nice to say that the full coverings are a cultural choice, and the religion itself doesn't dictate which one is right - but the religion does dictate one is necessary, various leaders of sects within that religion dictate specific ones within the areas they control, and within those areas it's often not possible to not join, or leave, that religion without it being a crime, because they control the culture, and by extension the people, and the government.

Also, when is the last time they held a general election for the post of Ayatollah? or Grand Mufti? or Pope? or Dalai Llama?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 25, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
should the yelling be a criminal offence? probably not but my posting should be

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So JBP should that dude yelling stop war at the Anzac memorial been arrested for what he did?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Religion infests, perverts, and attempts to dominate culture in order to propagate, because the greater the number of followers, the greater the power held by those in charge, and the acquisition and retention of power over others is all religion has ever been about.

It's really nice to say that the full coverings are a cultural choice, and the religion itself doesn't dictate which one is right - but the religion does dictate one is necessary, various leaders of sects within that religion dictate specific ones within the areas they control, and within those areas it's often not possible to not join, or leave, that religion without it being a crime, because they control the culture, and by extension the people, and the government.

Also, when is the last time they held a general election for the post of Ayatollah? or Grand Mufti? or Pope? or Dalai Llama?

How the gently caress did you manage to get so woke you horseshoed yourself and became Jaqui Lambie?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Frogfingers posted:

How the gently caress did you manage to get so woke you horseshoed yourself and became Jaqui Lambie?

Jaqui Lambie was half right in that particular argument - she was right that Islam was neither feminist nor democratic, but incredibly wrong that Sharia law is any kind of chance of happening here. Also, she didn't make the next step, which is to point out that every religion is misogynist and antidemocratic, because that would mean realising just how perverted "Christian" Australia actually is.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Frogfingers posted:

Wait till you find out about tankies then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Big Willy Style posted:

So JBP should that dude yelling stop war at the Anzac memorial been arrested for what he did?

He clearly broke the relevant law so of course. I couldn't comment on the outcome of the incident within a universe where that law didn't exist as I have not been instructed to do so.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

He clearly broke the relevant law so of course. I couldn't comment on the outcome of the incident within a universe where that law didn't exist as I have not been instructed to do so.

lmao look at this triggered snowflake

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh it was meant to be a joke because the question was a joke.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Australian troops will be in Iraq, Afghanistan for long term, says Malcolm Turnbull

Something something anzac spirit

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am really glad that forums poster JBP is here to lecture activists on appropriate tone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I am really glad that forums poster JBP is here to lecture activists on appropriate tone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You can take a position on something, and support peoples protests of it, but also have the knowledge of that sometimes people on your side are assholes and actively both hurting the cause and the visceral defending of which paints the entire concept with the same brush. Party of protest not party of government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think shouting that at an Anzac day ceremony is a pretty lovely thing to do, because the war vets I know who go to those find them a pretty difficult and emotional experience.

I also don't think that you should be able to be arrested for shouting something like "stop the war" at a moment of silence at an Anzac day ceremony...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

I think shouting that at an Anzac day ceremony is a pretty lovely thing to do, because the war vets I know who go to those find them a pretty difficult and emotional experience.

I also don't think that you should be able to be arrested for shouting something like "stop the war" at a moment of silence at an Anzac day ceremony...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ahh I'll have to ensure I politely ask (in an appropriate tone of course) if I can counter-protest an anti-abortion rally in the future. I don't want to be offensive or trigger anyone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In this case you'd be protesting an abortion is wrong rally with your anti abortion rally. It's weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"real people" struggle to understand that the way their friends and family died might be wrong and need to stop.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

In this case you'd be protesting an abortion is wrong rally with your anti abortion rally. It's weird.

Ummmm I am tired but counter-protesting at an anti abortion rally is actually pro abortion?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

"real people" struggle to understand that the way their friends and family died might be wrong and need to stop.

My parents are actually decorated veterans and their experiences have changed them. I'm acutely aware of what this day de jure stands for, and what this day stands for de facto.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Wish someone would abort your posts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the people that commemorate Anzac Day pro war?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

Wish someone would abort your posts.

:allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Ahh I'll have to ensure I politely ask (in an appropriate tone of course) if I can counter-protest an anti-abortion rally in the future. I don't want to be offensive or trigger anyone

I didn't say this. In fact I specifically stated I believed in your legal right to protest irrespective of my or anyone else's view on the appropriateness of that protest.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress me this is some shithouse posting.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Having gone to ~a lot~ of ANZAC services, I think that the ceremonies at least glorify aspects of war which I really disagree with.

Honestly I wouldn't protest at a dawn service, but I absolutely would protest today. Turning a day around like this is actually a good way to make a really good point about our ~australian values~

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Having gone to ~a lot~ of ANZAC services, I think that the ceremonies at least glorify aspects of war which I really disagree with.

Honestly I wouldn't protest at a dawn service, but I absolutely would protest today. Turning a day around like this is actually a good way to make a really good point about our ~australian values~

Good so we agree.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
i missed u jbp

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

They fly jets over the commemorations so you be the judge.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xerxes17 posted:

gently caress me this is some shithouse posting.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Malcolm Turnbull in Afghanistan: "You're all doing good, kill more rag-heads. But don't take this as saying Anzac day is pro-war, no, that'd be politicising it and that's something Australians just don't do..."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

They fly jets over the commemorations so you be the judge.

They also fly jets over sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Somehow Anzac Day has turned some posters here into 16 year olds on twitter.

• Locked thread