Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Kurt Russel's beard deserves an academy award Nobel Prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I, Butthole posted:

How do you define "cinematic" after realism or indie movements, though?

What's this supposed to mean?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Legion isn't a "superhero show" but it isn't really a "deconstruction" either.

Its a psychological drama/horror and character piece about people with mental illness... and super powers.

That certainly might not be your thing but it really has very little to do with "super heroes" one way or another. So just make your decision on whether the idea of the show it actually is appeals to you. But it has more in common with Hannibal or Mr. Robot than Daredevil or Flash.

I was asked why I didn't like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Did Guardians come out early outside the US or something? A few people who saw it as reviewers I get, but a lot of people in this thread appear to have seen it, and here in the US it doesn't come out for more than a week still.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also saw Guardians 2. It is very good.

Mantis is a surprise standout character and the villain is MUCH better than Guardians. I was surprised, because I had no investment whatsoever in her character beforehand.

There are some great cameos/easter eggs that were complete surprises too. I'm glad that most Marvel movies seem to be able to restrain themselves in their trailers.

Lots of really cool backgrounds and extras. I thought I was going to be annoyed by Baby Groot, but he is surprisingly fine. I definitely liked Groot 1.0 better, though.

Overall 8 to 8.5 out of 10.

Very fun, very pretty, great jokes (probably fewer jokes, but higher quality than 1) and an AMAZING use of end credits songs and soundtrack in general.

Adam Warlock casting anticipation begins. Obviously, gotta go with Triple H.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 25, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Did Guardians come out early outside the US or something? A few people who saw it as reviewers I get, but a lot of people in this thread appear to have seen it, and here in the US it doesn't come out for more than a week still.

Marvel movies open overseas weeks ahead of the US - at least for their big summer releases - to counteract potential piracy (and also/really so they can get two Monday morning "we loving made a shitton of money" headlines and press releases).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To flip this argument, it's pretty silly in this day and age to imply that TV shows are necessarily lesser than cinema in terms on direction or visual design or that they can't be filmed with cinematic flair.

Here's a podcast interview with one of the cinematographers on Breaking Bad where they discuss this exact thing:
http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/breaking-bad-michael-slovis-asc-pt-1/

My argument isn't that TV is inferior.

(my desktop background)

Phylodox posted:

"It's shot like TV" is pretty much just meaningless meme-speak for "I don't like it". It's, again, trying to put forward a subjective opinion as objective fact.

My subjective opinion is that the visuals and action sequences in Guardians of the Galaxy are all very good. They are shot like very good television, which is better than movies that are shot like bad television, but not as good as movies that are shot like excellent television.

You're once again imagining an argument that no one is making about GotG. The actual argument I made is that GotG isn't impressive cinema, which is embarrassingly evident in how no one tries to defend it on cinematic grounds and instead insist that everybody laughed in the theatres.

GotG's visual sequences have been shown to be unimaginative. They are generally adequate, and mostly are impressive in that there's a lot of work put to them and the CGI is competent. But none of it is really is used to great effect. Probably the most visually intriguing sequence in the movie is also the least indicative of it: the masked Star-Lord exploring Morag is really just build-up to a joke about how the movie is nothing like that fairly serious and interesting sci-fi sequence.

The interesting parts of GotG, like any MCY movie, are really the oddities, like the strange abhorrence of using negative space for framing:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

(my desktop background)

This is just that shot of the Vogon's on the lawn again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Your argument is "I don't like this movie", although that's starting to seem questionable, given how much thou dost protest. Your answer is to post screen caps that are really quite good and say they're really quite bad because they are not similar enough to screen captures from movies you do say are really quite good. You use words like "murky" and "unimaginative" to try and bolster your opinion, but it's still only opinion. About the only thing you've said that contains a grain of objective truth is that Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't have a lot of contrast, which is evidently due to a questionable Blu-Ray transfer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But, by all means, keep posting caps from Guardians of the Galaxy. I like lookin' at 'em!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

You use words like "murky" and "unimaginative" to try and bolster your opinion, but it's still only opinion. About the only thing you've said that contains a grain of objective truth

I'm laughing my rear end off at this. How dare someone post anything but the absolute "objective truth" about a films qualities!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at this. How dare someone post anything but the absolute "objective truth" about a films qualities!

That's not even remotely what I said. Posting your opinion is fine, but don't try to pretend it's not an opinion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

That's not even remotely what I said. Posting your opinion is fine, but don't try to pretend it's not an opinion.

BotL has stated his opinion and that backed it up with evidence from the film.

That's not "pretend it's not an opinion," that's the absolute basics of analysis.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

BotL has stated his opinion and that backed it up with evidence from the film.

That's not "pretend it's not an opinion," that's the absolute basics of analysis.

That's not analysis at all, that's saying "I like this thing better than that thing". Which is fine. I like Guardians of the Galaxy exponentially more than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and have provided reasons why. My reasons differ from other people's, but are not invalidated by those differences.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

That's not analysis at all, that's saying "I like this thing better than that thing". Which is fine.

Yeah, but then BravestOfTheLamps goes on to explain why his point of view has validity in its criticism/dissection/deconstruction/examination/whatever. Which is pretty much an analysis. I never get the feeling BOTL is stating his poo poo has the definite "objective truth" behind it and I'm not sure why you do.

[edit] No wait, I know why I think. Because you don't like what's being said and/or cannot wrap your brain around the difference between "cinematic shots" and "tv shots" maybe. How do you feel about the visual aesthetic of the first Avengers MCU film?

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 25, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

It's a mindset I've seen before in fans. When faced with criticism of a work, they argue that it's untrue, not because it's inaccurate, but because truth itself is impossible to state.

Of course, Phylodox falls for the same paradox as others, which is that the argument invalidates itself - if everything is just an opinion, the statement that "everything is just an opinion" is also just an opinion.

e:

MacheteZombie posted:

I enjoy his reviews and wish he didn't have to have them published by National Review.

Just read his reviews about queer movies for Out magazine?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Now that I have seen Guardians Vol: 2, I want to confirm something that a lot of people have been asking:

Goku does not appear in the film in any way and the Saiyan race is only obliquely hinted at.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Yeah, but then BravestOfTheLamps goes on to explain why his point of view has validity in its criticism/dissection/deconstruction/examination/whatever. Which is pretty much an analysis. I never get the feeling BOTL is stating his poo poo has the definite "objective truth" behind it and I'm not sure why you do.

[edit] No wait, I know why I think. Because you don't like what's being said and/or cannot wrap your brain around the difference between "cinematic shots" and "tv shots" maybe. How do you feel about the visual aesthetic of the first Avengers MCU film?

I don't "not like" what's being said. I largely disagree, that's all. And I think that The Avengers is kind of uneven, with the ending battle being probably its least interesting section, composition-wise, but I think the hate it gets is pretty overblown.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of these movies except for huge stinkers like Fant4stic are pretty good in the end.

People get mad that other people liked movies more than they did for some reason.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

parallelodad posted:

All of these movies except for huge stinkers like Fant4stic are pretty good in the end.

People get mad that other people liked movies more than they did for some reason.

No, I'll have you know I'm getting mad because someone liked a movie less than I did!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Now that I have seen Guardians Vol: 2, I want to confirm something that a lot of people have been asking:

Goku does not appear in the film in any way and the Saiyan race is only obliquely hinted at.

But is the bear with the Gatling gun still in it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

No, I'll have you know I'm getting mad because someone liked a movie less than I did!

No. I'm an emotion police officer and can certify that you aren't mad, he is the one that is the mad one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been reading this thread long enough that there's a distinct cycle.

*marvel movie releases to better than average critical and fan praise* It's bad, actually.

*dc movie releases to worse than average critical praise* It's good, actually.

And then people fight about differences of opinion. That's my hot take okay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

*marvel movie releases to better than average critical and fan praise* It's bad, actually.

And then people fight about differences of opinion. That's my hot take okay.

Suicide Squad kinda disproves that theory, nobody defends it.

It happened with Man of Steel and BvS, but I'd argue that's more a Snyder thing than a DC thing. Snyder is a very divisive director as it turns out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It happened with Man of Steel and BvS, but I'd argue that's more a Snyder thing than a DC thing. Snyder is a very divisive director as it turns out.

Depend on what level of defense we're talking about here. I loved Croc and some other stuff in the movie, but the movie as a whole is mediocre at best.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Basebf555 posted:

There was someone in the last couple of pages of this thread talking about how Suicide Squad was much better than GotG.

Like many threads on these dead gay forums, this place is very contrarian and to someone like me who just lurks it comes off as bonkers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dragonshirt posted:

There was someone in the last couple of pages of this thread talking about how Suicide Squad was much better than GotG.

Like many threads on these dead gay forums, this place is very contrarian and to someone like me who just lurks it comes off as bonkers.

I simply don't understand this. Despite what people say this is not a hivemind forum and there's a bunch of different opinions on stuff. The only common ground of the long-term posters are "movies are interesting and worth discussing and hearing about from other perspectives" (and tbh I'm not sure everyone buys into that last part)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Harlock posted:

The alternative would function like those TVIV threads where everyone is racing to praise new episodes of popular shows the most, quoting lines of dialogue (that don't even turn out to be jokes) as they hear them, and getting their vital two-cents in about how the episode was amazing when it turns out they don't even remember what happened in the third act. It's not pretty or fun.

Constructing arguments against the common perception is half the fun of criticism. Constructing arguments against those arguments is the other half (you don't see this much here).

Whining that people dare to have opinions is just asinine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's nice seeing people talk about stuff they like or don't like. That's what's good about this forum, there are usually pretty solid posts that aren't just dumb "MARTHA!" meme stuff.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I simply don't understand this. Despite what people say this is not a hivemind forum and there's a bunch of different opinions on stuff. The only common ground of the long-term posters are "movies are interesting and worth discussing and hearing about from other perspectives" (and tbh I'm not sure everyone buys into that last part)

I didn't say it was a hivemind but there are definite overarching opinions in here.

It's interesting, at least. Except BotL posts. Seriously, how is someone sealioning GotG?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would like some brave, possibly stupid, director to make the Tobey Maguire Spiderman equivalent of Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Untrue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would like some brave, possibly stupid, director to make the Tobey Maguire Spiderman equivalent of Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

Like a real life Tobey gets turned into a Spider man while filming a Spiderman?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

Like a real life Tobey gets turned into a Spider man while filming a Spiderman?

A stealth remake of The Fly where Kirsten Dunst shotguns MaguireSpider to death at the end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

A stealth remake of The Fly where Kirsten Dunst shotguns MaguireSpider to death at the end.

I remember in the cartoon when Spiderman was turning into a giant spider, I'd watch that flick with Tobey as the star/main character. After Dunst's stint on Fargo I'd be all in on her inclusion too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dragonshirt posted:

The reason I like it is because in the real world movies are very quickly grouped into two piles, "good" and "bad". Normal people(i.e. those who aren't obsessed with film) don't really want to talk about that one good aspect of a movie that was bad overall. In general people don't want to discuss individual aspects of a film at all, they would prefer to just evaluate it as good or bad and move on.

So its nice to have a forum where you can say "sure, movie X was a bomb but didn't it have really nice cinematography?", or "I know movie Y made a billion dollars but I thought the shot compositions were incredibly amateurish and boring", and everything in between. I don't think of it as contrarian, its more that when you delve into individual aspects of film, there's more room for disagreement. The more individual things being discussed the harder it is to find a consensus.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The reason I like it is because in the real world movies are very quickly grouped into two piles, "good" and "bad". Normal people(i.e. those who aren't obsessed with film) don't really want to talk about that one good aspect of a movie that was bad overall. In general people don't want to discuss individual aspects of a film at all, they would prefer to just evaluate it as good or bad and move on.

So its nice to have a forum where you can say "sure, movie X was a bomb but didn't it have really nice cinematography", or "I know movie Y made a billion dollars but I thought the shot compositions were incredibly amateurish and boring", and everything in between. I don't think of it as contrarian, its more that when you delve into individual aspects of film, there's more room for disagreement. The more individual things being discussed the harder it is to find a consensus.

This guy gets it, of course it takes someone From Beyond to get it though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sassassin posted:

The alternative would function like those TVIV threads where everyone is racing to praise new episodes of popular shows the most, quoting lines of dialogue (that don't even turn out to be jokes) as they hear them, and getting their vital two-cents in about how the episode was amazing when it turns out they don't even remember what happened in the third act. It's not pretty or fun.

Constructing arguments against the common perception is half the fun of criticism. Constructing arguments against those arguments is the other half (you don't see this much here).

Whining that people dare to have opinions is just asinine.

I don't mind the criticism and I enjoy the in depth posts that people make, it's just funny that it always seems to works that way. You can usually pinpoint the person who is going to take x stance. The one weird thing, to me, is some of the criticism seems to take on a definitive statement.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Sony cast Don Glover as an older Miles, one other guy as another Peter Parker Spider-Man, some Sentai actor as Japanese Spider-man and then did a crazy Spider-verse movie with Garfield, Mcguire, and the new one, all would be forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonshirt posted:

Seriously, how is someone sealioning GotG?

I am by default one of the world's biggest GotG fan, since I dedicate so much serious and honest thought to it. It's how I'm also the world's biggest Patrick Rothfuss fan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread