Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Smokers are amazing and the best kind is my buddy's because he buys the brisket, spends all day tending it and I just show up in the evening to drink beer and eat brisket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh lol

so much for "not a cruiser", check that white base coat

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

What about smokers? What kinds/types do you guys use and recommend? Looking to buy my first one and would like something with temperature control and looking at pellet smokers at the moment.

big green egg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

big green egg

Can vouch, my dad has a big one at home and a baby one for tailgating. He made a couple big old smoked pork butts for easter, absolutely delicious. They're solid grills too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got myself a yogurt maker and it's awesome. Nothing like fresh yogurt full of probiotics and none of the additive bullshit, tastes amazing too.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got myself a yogurt maker and it's awesome. Nothing like fresh yogurt full of probiotics and none of the additive bullshit, tastes amazing too.

Yogurt maker? You mean "a spoonfull of live culture yogurt in a pint of milk in a sterile mason jar in an oven with the light on overnight?" :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KozmoNaut posted:

Would you recommend going straight to sous vide instead?

You can turn a slow cooker with a mechanical switch (has to turn on immediately when power is connected) into a sous vide tank with about $20 in a temperature controller relay, standard outlet and a project box. I have to run out the door but I'll post a picture of my setup later.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Larrymer posted:

What about smokers? What kinds/types do you guys use and recommend? Looking to buy my first one and would like something with temperature control and looking at pellet smokers at the moment.
Pellet smokers are for wussies.
Barrel with offset smoker box is my go to. I also really like vertical box smokers if I'm doing something big because I can just hang it and forget about it for a whole day.

OH gently caress! you just reminded me that my coworker has a couple dying apple trees I need to cut down.
Who want's some bacon?

BraveUlysses posted:

big green egg

I just recommended this to my coworker yesterday. They're a touch on the expensive side but holy gently caress are they efficient.

The Locator posted:

Ignore sales. Once the construction starts, go find the general contractor at the site and pay them directly to do this. I've seen this done a fair bit and it's cheaper than including it in the house pricing and they will almost always do it for you.

The vapor barrier on the shared interior walls is almost certainly required by code.

You know that's what I loving thought too. I'm gonna see if I can get the foreman's number and take him out to lunch or something. I also wanted him to run conduit from the basement utility closet to the attic since there's no straight shot that I can run wires. The HVAC does all sorts of weird twists and turns to get through the house because of the layout, and there's just no easy way to get between the two locations.
I know they will let me in the house to inspect the construction process but I won't be allowed to touch or do anything to the house until they're finished.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pellet smokers are for wussies.
Barrel with offset smoker box is my go to. I also really like vertical box smokers if I'm doing something big because I can just hang it and forget about it for a whole day.

For a minute I thought we were in a different thread and you were talking about owl pellets.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yogurt maker? You mean "a spoonfull of live culture yogurt in a pint of milk in a sterile mason jar in an oven with the light on overnight?" :v:

Well yeah, but it's more refined and convenient. The main thing is the probiotic starter which is better than any probiotics you can buy in pill form, I just got the maker for the hell of it, comes with everything you need. I'm happy with it, been eating it every morning and it helps my gut a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-YM80-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B000EX16RY/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1493144622&sr=1-4&keywords=yogurt+maker

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Liquid Communism posted:

You okay boss?

Grats, Darchangel! I start my new life as an employee rather than contractor on the 1st, so apparently it's job changes all around.

Yeah something like that sort of maybe sort of happening right now to me as well.

We'll see.

But also holy poo poo there's a lot to do and I have a total of 30 hours of meetings scheduled this week (and 30 more next week) to make sure I get none of it done :haw:

Situation excellent. I am attacking.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BraveUlysses posted:

If you don't have a slow cooker yet, consider an instant pot. Its far more versatile and still really affordable

Do you mean a pressure cooker?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah something like that sort of maybe sort of happening right now to me as well.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Good luck!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

the instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Early thismorning It snowed on my house for the first time this winter/spring

Then I left home and drove through the Peak District and over the moors to get to work (through an area known for getting snow)... and there was no snow at all there.

Stupid weather. I was out in shorts getting sunburnt 2 weeks ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

But also holy poo poo there's a lot to do and I have a total of 30 hours of meetings scheduled this week (and 30 more next week) to make sure I get none of it done :haw:
Bored?
Lonely?
No-one to talk to?
CALL A MEETING!

Tomarse posted:

Stupid weather. I was out in shorts getting sunburnt 2 weeks ago.
Today, my car was frosted up in the morning, it was bright sunshine during the day, it started raining when I got home, and then I got caught in bloody sleet/hail leaving Costco. What the gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BraveUlysses posted:

the instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker

Yeah, I've been looking at that too. Sometimes you just want to power boil the poo poo out of something at above normal boiling temp.

Lots of great tips, thanks​ :) and I'm definitely bookmarking the GWS slow cooker thread.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Today, my car was frosted up in the morning, it was bright sunshine during the day, it started raining when I got home, and then I got caught in bloody sleet/hail leaving Costco. What the gently caress.

I just got back from lunch where we were seated on the patio in the shade. There was a slight breeze and it was a lovely 77 degrees.

:smug:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Doesn't someone in here have an old Ford Courier? I have been keeping an eye out for a small truck since as we progress on remodeling our house and doing large landscaping changes, I really need something to pickup plants/soil/etc and haul random poo poo around. I have been keeping an eye out for couriers and old datsun pickups since I like the way they look. This courier recently popped up on CL, showed it to my wife who loves it and wants me to go buy it.

Am I stupid for even looking at something like this? I know the smart thing to do would just be buy a mid-90's ranger/nissan hardbody, but they are ugly and my wife thinks the Courier is "cute".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

Grats, Darchangel! I start my new life as an employee rather than contractor on the 1st, so apparently it's job changes all around.

I appreciate the thought, but I should have phrased better. This the HR of my current outsourcing company wanting to discuss my continued employment, or more likely lack thereof.
I called him this morning, left voicemails on both his desk and mobile phones, and the useless putz still hasn't called back.

I do have another potential gig to interview for, though. Hopefully this week.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slurry_curry posted:

Doesn't someone in here have an old Ford Courier? I have been keeping an eye out for a small truck since as we progress on remodeling our house and doing large landscaping changes, I really need something to pickup plants/soil/etc and haul random poo poo around. I have been keeping an eye out for couriers and old datsun pickups since I like the way they look. This courier recently popped up on CL, showed it to my wife who loves it and wants me to go buy it.

Am I stupid for even looking at something like this? I know the smart thing to do would just be buy a mid-90's ranger/nissan hardbody, but they are ugly and my wife thinks the Courier is "cute".

That would be me, 1979 so the next generation body style. That thing looks mint buy it and cherish it. It'll be slow as balls but will run forever and haul anything you're foolish enough to cram in the back of it. Hauled a 3500lb lift in mine a couple weeks ago and other than the brakes being WAY undersized for the load it did just fine.

Here it is with ~1000lb of trash

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 25, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slurry_curry posted:

No booster, drum brakes. As long as you can deal with that and you like how it looks buy it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Locator posted:

I just got back from lunch where we were seated on the patio in the shade. There was a slight breeze and it was a lovely 77 degrees.

Forecast is for all 80s next week. Thems moto riding temps. Hope it doesn't get too hot before my track day on the 13th.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

turn a slow cooker into a sous vide tank...I'll post a picture of my setup later

Imagine this is plugged into an outlet, and a slow cooker full of water is connected to the outlet on top of the project box. Temperature sensor goes in the water and the slow cooker turns on and off as needed.

Beats spending $150+ on a clip-on sous vide circulator if you already have a compatible slow cooker.

BraveUlysses posted:

If you don't have a slow cooker yet, consider an instant pot. Its far more versatile and still really affordable

Can confirm this, Instant Pots are awesome. Bought one on black Friday in 2015 from Amazon, cuts cook times way down on a number of dishes that usually take all day. Last thing we made in ours was chicken noodle soup when my wife was sick, went from raw ingredients (whole chicken, carrots, onions & celery) to ready to eat in about an hour. It can do more than pressure cook too - makes excellent rice, the element has enough power that you can sear meat in the vessel and it will also function as a slow cooker or steamer.

Job chat: accepted the contract gig I interviewed for last week. Went over the onboarding documents with a fine tooth comb before signing, no non-compete beyond not accepting a direct position with any company I'm working on behalf of the staffing agency for and I have to give them two weeks' notice if I quit - should the system engineer position I've interviewed twice for ever call back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had one of those, but I like my immersion circulator better. It comes up to temp faster and will maintain that temp evenly throughout the water bath.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Aside from taking a while to warm up I haven't had any temperature consistency issues. After a bit of trial and error I found if I set the temperature to about 2 degrees lower than desired it holds within 1 degree, and if I really wanted to I could calibrate the temperature controller to reflect this.

I just have a big problem with buying unitaskers, especially when they're fairly expensive.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would be me, 1979 so the next generation body style. That thing looks mint buy it and cherish it. It'll be slow as balls but will run forever and haul anything you're foolish enough to cram in the back of it. Hauled a 3500lb lift in mine a couple weeks ago and other than the brakes being WAY undersized for the load it did just fine.

Here it is with ~1000lb of trash

Awesome, thats what I thought. I assumed they are slow as gently caress, but it will be strictly for in town runs. I still gotta find time to go look at it and see if it is as nice of shape as it looks in the pictures. Although

No booster, drum brakes. As long as you can deal with that and you like how it looks buy it.

This was my main concern, the brakes. Drum brakes are black magic to me, but I figure as long as they were rebuilt properly in 2016, I would think they would be fine. I have driven cars with non-power assist brakes before, and even with them being much bigger than the courier, it wasn't too bad.

I guess I need to go look at it and take it for a spin.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Surely if you were truly AI, you'd be using your engine coolant and a heat exchanger to sous vide under the hood.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

That'll be the weekend. Whiskey, cigars, and broken cars. :dukedog:

Darchangel posted:

I appreciate the thought, but I should have phrased better. This the HR of my current outsourcing company wanting to discuss my continued employment, or more likely lack thereof.
Remember, the correct approach to dealing with HR is two viewings of Office Space, 1/3 of a bottle of whisk(e)y, and a "how much do you not want to gently caress with me?" attitude.

slurry_curry posted:

This was my main concern, the brakes. Drum brakes are black magic to me, but I figure as long as they were rebuilt properly in 2016, I would think they would be fine. I have driven cars with non-power assist brakes before, and even with them being much bigger than the courier, it wasn't too bad.
There's nothing actively wrong with unassisted drums. Learn to drive "on the gearbox" and thinking ahead, and you'll be fine. They'll let you do a proper stop... once.

Twin leading shoe large (11-12"+) drums in good condition will still stop you when you really need it.

spog posted:

Surely if you were truly AI, you'd be using your engine coolant and a heat exchanger to sous vide under the hood.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/1416596232

Coolant may be too sweet for a lot of stuff, though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

InitialDave posted:

There's nothing actively wrong with unassisted drums. Learn to drive "on the gearbox" and thinking ahead, and you'll be fine. They'll let you do a proper stop... once.

When I drove other un-assisted cars that seemed to be the biggest thing, just gotta remember the brakes aren't great and use the engine to help slow down when you can. From the little information I can find online, it seems like you can pretty easily swap the front disc brakes from the second generation truck. Probably would not bother with that, but its good to know you have options.

Also, that led me into looking at 2.3T swaps, which apparently pretty much bolt right in....

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Larrymer posted:

Dude just get a Traeger if you're getting your toes wet. I've got one last Memorial Day and I love it. I've burned about 250 pounds worth of wood pellets and my meat is the talk of the neighborhood.
Check your local Costco for special events and you can score them for a good discount off. Mine was $350. Once I am ready to graduate from it I'm going to buy a Yoder which is the bitchinest pellet smoker you can buy and also like $1600.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

my meat is the talk of the neighborhood.

:dong:

Time to start pricing out stuff to make new heat diffusers for the grill. Materials cost is probably near the cost of buying premade ones, but I kinda want to try fabricobbling my own. Some 18-20 gauge steel should be good enough right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude just get a Traeger if you're getting your toes wet. I've got one last Memorial Day and I love it. I've burned about 250 pounds worth of wood pellets and my meat is the talk of the neighborhood.

Amazon reviews of them are not good at all. If you want an accurate set it and forget it setup that's relatively cheap, a Weber Smoky Mountain with a BBQ Guru is the way to go imo. Got some money to burn? Big Green Egg with BBQ Guru.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Amazon reviews of them are not good at all. If you want an accurate set it and forget it setup that's relatively cheap, a Weber Smoky Mountain with a BBQ Guru is the way to go imo. Got some money to burn? Big Green Egg with BBQ Guru.

I know probably 10 dudes with Traegers, and some of them have more than one. They all love them. I think a $500+ grill is dumb, so I don't have one. The Egg or a ripoff works well, but the smaller ones are too small for a full brisket.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm looking at the GMG pellet ones and the Char grill Akorn (BGE knock off). I'm leaning towards the Akorn and maybe trying it out first and adding temp control if necessary. Guess they hold heat in very well and usually don't require too much fuss. And they're 10% off at Lowes until tomorrow, so I'll have to decide quick.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have an Akorn thats a hand me down from my dad when he got his BGE. I like it a lot more than my webber kettle. But it doesnt have the fine control of the BGE.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

I've totally gotten into crock pot cooking this year, but so far I only make one thing over and over. It's so easy. 3lb hunk of beef, sear it while chopping 3 lb of red potatoes, throw it in the crock with a 12 oz bag of baby carrots, some diced onion, and 4 packets of lipton beefy onion soup mix. Fill with water about an inch below the rim and wait 6 hours till you can cut the beef with a spoon, done. I recently bought a 7 quart crock just so I could match the quantities easier than the smaller one I had. Then we eat it for a week.

Quotin dis for future use.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well to be fair a Traeger Jr. at $425 is not exactly cheap, and a lot of the complaints are about it not holding accurate temps.

To me the best affordable/dependable temperature route would be a Weber kettle with a BBQ Guru at about $300, but that's just because I like the charcoal route.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Fixed this for you. HR is there to protect the company. They also do hiring and pay bullshit but that's secondary.

They are the ultimate lazy and/or bachelor kitchen appliance. The little disposable baggies that you can get make cleanup a 30 second process. Most recent GWS slow cooker thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712282 The original one has been lost sadly, there was some good stuff in there.

A bunch of them got transferred to the GWS wiki at some point : http://goonswithspoons.com/w/index.php?search=slow+cooker&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go

Adiabatic posted:

We'll see.

Situation excellent. I am attacking.

I work graves and am staying on that schedule, so I'm doing my last contractor shift 9pm-8am Sunday into Monday, then new employee orientation 8am-??? and back at 9pm for first shift.

My first hours at my new (significantly higher) rate are going to be all OT. :getin:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

As I understand it Traeger has updated the models over the years. Additionally as I used it more the seasoning really started to set in and it began holding temps much more accurately. As it cycles and burns more pellets the temps will fluctuate up and down. It produces some great results though. I used it all winter long in temps well under freezing and all I did was buy a welders blanket (I forget the exact model) that was $30 and hold it on with some magnets. Again it cost me $350 at Costco and came with the cover and I have definitely gotten my use out of it in less than a year. I use it for long smokes at least 3 times a month. I'll probably use this for a while until it gives me grief then I will make the jump to the Yoder 640 model which is :dong:

• Locked thread