Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BigFactory posted:

That thing is barely wider than a compact disc. Is it supposed to go in a spice rack?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit

half rack sizes are A Thing, but it does require the use of brackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I was going to build a 2 channel system I'd probably look at the NAD C338 or Cambridge Audio SR20. Those TEAC things are in my opinion severely overpriced. Speaking of which if I was really going to push the boat out I'd get a Naim Uniti Star but that's only if I got a giant surprise bonus at work or something.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Can I get a recommendation on a decent 3.1 soundbar? I would like a real audio system, but we're space-conscious and I'd prefer to wait until we actually own a house before getting a bunch of speakers. I just want to get something that sounds better than my 55" Vizio's crappy speakers that can tide us over for a few years.

I'd prefer not to spend more than $250, but if I need to, I can.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

If I was going to build a 2 channel system I'd probably look at the NAD C338 or Cambridge Audio SR20. Those TEAC things are in my opinion severely overpriced. Speaking of which if I was really going to push the boat out I'd get a Naim Uniti Star but that's only if I got a giant surprise bonus at work or something.

Those are really great suggestions actually.
How do you feel about the Acurus Aries or Creek Evolution 50A
I was tossing around the idea of getting one or the other. They can both be found on eBay for <$1000

The Classe CAP-151 is also a solid buy for $600~$700ish if you can manage to find one

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 25, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

qirex posted:

I wonder if NAD realizes that putting an all black unit on an all black background isn't the best way to market their product. I had to tilt my monitor just to see the thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BigFactory posted:

I wonder if NAD realizes that putting an all black unit on an all black background isn't the best way to market their product. I had to tilt my monitor just to see the thing.

Maybe that's the point?
"Little amps are not meant to be seen or heard."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Their name means "testicle" to a good portion of the English-speaking world, marketing is obviously not their strong suit.

I've found that Crutchfield had the best product photos especially compared to manufacturer websites.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I want at stereo system that can get AM/FM/Bluetooth as well as HDMI. CD optional but nice to have. Preferably in the $150-300 range. I do not want surround sound, and I do not need multiple rooms. The option to add a subwoofer later would be nice.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Speleothing posted:

I want at stereo system that can get AM/FM/Bluetooth as well as HDMI. CD optional but nice to have. Preferably in the $150-300 range. I do not want surround sound, and I do not need multiple rooms. The option to add a subwoofer later would be nice.
jesus, CD/FM/AM? are you buying it for your grandma? the Onkyo SR353 might be overkill, but it'll do everything you want under $200. i just got the big brother SR656 last week (which is now $50 cheaper than it was last week when i bought it. gently caress.). it does bluetooth very well, which is a pretty cool after upgrading from an 8-year-old receiver. i don't think you're gonna find any 2.1 receivers with HDMI and BT, and the only thing cheaper than the Onkyo is literally called a pyle.

airplay has higher audio quality and has more automation/integration niceties than BT, but it looks like airplay receivers start at ~$350 and I get the feeling that you're an android mongo anyway

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Can you get FM without AM? Is that an option? I guess I'm not opposed to the option to eventually upgrade to 5.1 but it'll be a hard sell for the wife, who didn't even want a 40" tv.

I just want to listen to the radio and play music. Plugging the tv into it is pretty much just a 'since we'll have the speakers, might as well'.

Looking good is also important, because wife.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Music is one of the most enjoyable things in the world to me as a human being, to be with someone that couldn't understand this would make me very sad indeed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

She likes music, not the tv. Right now we have a portable Bluetooth boombox.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Polk Audio 10" PSW10 Powered Subwoofer $75 free ship

Good sub good price

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

DizzyBum posted:

Can I get a recommendation on a decent 3.1 soundbar? I would like a real audio system, but we're space-conscious and I'd prefer to wait until we actually own a house before getting a bunch of speakers. I just want to get something that sounds better than my 55" Vizio's crappy speakers that can tide us over for a few years.

I'd prefer not to spend more than $250, but if I need to, I can.

I'd like a recommendation in this vein as well, or if anyone can point to a reputable reviewer of such products, that would be cool too. Haven't looked at stereo equipment in some time, not sure who to trust on reviews.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Speleothing posted:

She likes music, not the tv. Right now we have a portable Bluetooth boombox.

Does she not like movies or TV? What is this person like?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So both me and my friend both started discussing home audio, him since he's just remoddled his basement, me because I feel its time for an upgrade.

Currently I've got

a Pioneer VSX-524 which has been sufficient but has been giving me tons of issues with audio channels no matter how I mess with the settings.
Pioneer 52FS for front left and right, and a C22 for center.
Two handcrafted satellites that I built years ago when the speaker building thread was going.
and a Klipsch R-12SW which has been great, so I don't intend on changing it.

He jumped the gun and bought a Pioneer VSX 531 reciever and a Bic F12 sub that were on sale.

We both have similar setups of Cable Box, HTPC, Xbox, and a mix of chromecasts/appleTVs/Roku's.

So the shopping list is a new receiver for my 5.1 system, and two sets of five channel speakers.

But before I go out and buy anything are building speakers still cost effective? If I run off of ones already designed I could easily do the woodwork and soldering for 10 speakers on a single Saturday.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

I'd like a recommendation in this vein as well, or if anyone can point to a reputable reviewer of such products, that would be cool too. Haven't looked at stereo equipment in some time, not sure who to trust on reviews.

Try Yamaha. I mentioned this earlier:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamysp1400bl/yamaha-ysp-1400-dsp-powered-soundbar-dts/dd-bluetooth-app-control/1.html

There's also a package with subwoofer for extra $100.

Depending on what you listen to, a stereo system might suit you better. I wouldn't get a soundbar if it was mainly for music.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hob_Gadling posted:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamysp1400bl/yamaha-ysp-1400-dsp-powered-soundbar-dts/dd-bluetooth-app-control/1.html

Depending on what you listen to, a stereo system might suit you better. I wouldn't get a soundbar if it was mainly for music.

I have a dedicated stereo (Rotel components, Dynaudio speakers) for music in a separate room. In my new apartment the TV is in a small nook off the larger living room, not a lot of space to set up multiple speakers, and terrible acoustics anyway due to the weird shape of the nook and lots of bare surfaces for sound to bounce off, so I was just looking for something cheap to improve on the sound from my TV speakers. This would be for watching movies/PS4, I don't ever see myself playing music through it.

Thank you for the rec, I'll check it out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit; nm

M_Gargantua posted:

Pioneer VSX-524 which has been sufficient but has been giving me tons of issues with audio channels no matter how I mess with the settings.
I used to have a Pioneer receiver and had the same problem. No matter how much I fussed with the settings it never sounded 'right.' I finally gave it away and bought an Onkyo.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 17, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Forgot to post in this thread to mention that I did end up going with this soundbar. I think you or maybe somebody else recommended it to me in the other audio thread.

It's a HUGE step up from the lovely TV speakers and the built-in subs do a fine job. The setup was really easy, especially since all my consoles and devices go straight into the HDMI ports on the TV. All I needed to do was connect the S/PDIF cable from the TV to the soundbar and it immediately picked it up. The rest of the setup was just adjusting settings (mostly disabling the TV speakers and playing with the audio levels).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

wormil posted:

I used to have a Pioneer receiver and had the same problem. No matter how much I fussed with the settings it never sounded 'right.' I finally gave it away and bought an Onkyo.

Yeah the Onkyo 656 looks like it would be great with some overhead room for future expansion.

I still need to choose speakers.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hob_Gadling posted:

Would this Yamaha YAS-203 be a comparable product? It seems to have decent reviews.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm really trying to make sense of the numbers re: receivers and speakers, I read the OP and a receiver buying guide but still a little lost. Just snagged a pair of Klipsch RF-62s second hand which are rated for 125w/500w peak @ 8ohms but my receiver only puts out 60w @ 8ohms. I want something that will power these and similar grade speakers once I upgrade from the little nothings that came with the receiver. Idgaf about anything beyond 5.1 or atmos, but I'm a little intrigued by multi zone and bluetooth would be necessary. What is the receiver for me?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

codo27 posted:

I'm really trying to make sense of the numbers re: receivers and speakers, I read the OP and a receiver buying guide but still a little lost. Just snagged a pair of Klipsch RF-62s second hand which are rated for 125w/500w peak @ 8ohms but my receiver only puts out 60w @ 8ohms. I want something that will power these and similar grade speakers once I upgrade from the little nothings that came with the receiver. Idgaf about anything beyond 5.1 or atmos, but I'm a little intrigued by multi zone and bluetooth would be necessary. What is the receiver for me?

If you don't need atmos and want zone 2 flexibility, I'd recommend this Integra. It has both powered zone 2 and variable zone 2 preouts if you want to use an external amplifier on zone 2.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr303/integra-dtr-30.3-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It does not have Bluetooth built in but for streaming audio, I'd recommend a Chromecast Audio. $35 and gives you better sound and flexibility than Bluetooth.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Would this Yamaha YAS-203 be a comparable product? It seems to have decent reviews.

More or less, yes. Generally speaking YAS series come with wireless subwoofers, YSP series offer more features. In practical terms there's not that much difference. Separate sub of YAS helps with low end, YSP on the other hand does a relatively convincing virtual surround effect. You can get a wired sub for YSP if you want to. Yamaha also has an ATS series but that's not as good.

I would choose mostly based on price, looks and connectivity (in this order). Maybe check if a mounting bracket is included. Both are better than TV speakers, neither will be as good as receiver with separate speakers.

DizzyBum posted:

Forgot to post in this thread to mention that I did end up going with this soundbar. I think you or maybe somebody else recommended it to me in the other audio thread.

I think it was me. For the price it's pretty hard to beat that YSP-1400. You can get better sound bars but at their cost I tend to think a receiver with 2.0 to 3.1 speakers is just a better choice. Yahama does slick looking systems but who on earth pays a grand for a sound bar?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

codo27 posted:

Those Klipsch are pretty efficient. Unless you're sitting particularly far from them, I doubt you'll be listening at much more than 1 watt anyway.
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power

audioholics posted:

If you own speakers and you have ever…

1) done a smoky burnout in a McDonald’s parking lot;

2) leaped into a backyard pool from a nearby garage roof;

3) stood directly in front of the P.A. stacks at a Weezer concert; or

4) yelled to friends, “Hey, y’all, hold my beer and watch this!”

…you should probably read this article. You’re the guy most likely to blow up your speakers, and it’s totally your fault.

Unless you're buying used, finding a receiver with multi zone is going to make it more expensive.
Keep an eye on http://www.accessories4less.com/ and see what tickles your fancy.

If you were going to buy something today, I'd recommend:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3100w/denon-avr-x3100w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It's a great compromise between price / quality / features. It'll give you the multi-zone outputs you want (both pre-outs and powered) and still have enough channels left over to do a surround setup should you want it.

Edit:

Scrapez posted:

If you don't need atmos and want zone 2 flexibility, I'd recommend this Integra. It has both powered zone 2 and variable zone 2 preouts if you want to use an external amplifier on zone 2.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr303/integra-dtr-30.3-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It does not have Bluetooth built in but for streaming audio, I'd recommend a Chromecast Audio. $35 and gives you better sound and flexibility than Bluetooth.

^^what he said.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Scrapez posted:

Oh wow extra 20% off promo, only 183 bucks? Awesome! 130 bucks shipping to canada? gently caress THIS COUNTRY

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I've been thinking about redoing the audio setup in my house and I need help wrapping my head around setups and configurations and what technology exists these days...

Right now I have a cabinet set up in our front sitting room that contains a receiver, a DVD player and a laptop that is connected to our home Wifi with drives mapped to my file server to play my collection of flacs. There are two pairs of speakers connected to the receiver: one pair in the sitting room on the A channel and one pair run to the kitchen on the B channel in a single zone.

Also in the kitchen is an Amazon Echo that has recently been introduced that the wife and kids LOVE. I think it is handy, but sonically it sounds like headphones in a shoebox.

Off of the kitchen is our living room and is configured more like a great room because there are no barriers between the living room and the kitchen but a simple counter. We have our TV in there with a home theater PC, and DVD player and the cable box attached via HDMI, and a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup that just died a few days ago (connected via optical cable to the TV).

To keep things simple I think I might just replace the dead Z-5500 with some kind of sound bar and be done with the home theater piece, but my problem is the stereo setup. Right now, in order to play my music on the stereo or to stream Pandora, the wife or I have to turn on the stereo and the laptop, wait for it to boot, then click on Pandora or iTunes/foobar to play music. Or they can say "Alexa, play X" and X play instantly over the crappy Echo speaker (don't get me started on the Echo Dot we have in our bedroom.)

What I would love is to have a way to integrate the Echo into my setup so that Alexa (in the kitchen) can turn on the stereo (in the sitting room) and play music through the speakers wired into the sitting room and kitchen. I would also like a way to quickly access my music on my file server and stream Pandora through the receiver itself without a laptop.

Is this even possible?

(The reason why I mentioned the TV and Z-5500 is in case there is some way to integrate them into my audio solution as well. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here, but I include it for completeness.)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sonos has announced partnerships with Amazon for Alexa support but nobody's really played with it yet. It's supposed to be in beta soon but their product development cycle isn't exactly the quickest. Assuming it works OK you could replace the kitchen and sitting room setups with that, Sonos can find FLACs on a server and play Pandora just fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Agrikk posted:

I've been thinking about redoing the audio setup in my house and I need help wrapping my head around setups and configurations and what technology exists these days...

Right now I have a cabinet set up in our front sitting room that contains a receiver, a DVD player and a laptop that is connected to our home Wifi with drives mapped to my file server to play my collection of flacs. There are two pairs of speakers connected to the receiver: one pair in the sitting room on the A channel and one pair run to the kitchen on the B channel in a single zone.

Also in the kitchen is an Amazon Echo that has recently been introduced that the wife and kids LOVE. I think it is handy, but sonically it sounds like headphones in a shoebox.

Off of the kitchen is our living room and is configured more like a great room because there are no barriers between the living room and the kitchen but a simple counter. We have our TV in there with a home theater PC, and DVD player and the cable box attached via HDMI, and a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup that just died a few days ago (connected via optical cable to the TV).

To keep things simple I think I might just replace the dead Z-5500 with some kind of sound bar and be done with the home theater piece, but my problem is the stereo setup. Right now, in order to play my music on the stereo or to stream Pandora, the wife or I have to turn on the stereo and the laptop, wait for it to boot, then click on Pandora or iTunes/foobar to play music. Or they can say "Alexa, play X" and X play instantly over the crappy Echo speaker (don't get me started on the Echo Dot we have in our bedroom.)

What I would love is to have a way to integrate the Echo into my setup so that Alexa (in the kitchen) can turn on the stereo (in the sitting room) and play music through the speakers wired into the sitting room and kitchen. I would also like a way to quickly access my music on my file server and stream Pandora through the receiver itself without a laptop.

Is this even possible?

(The reason why I mentioned the TV and Z-5500 is in case there is some way to integrate them into my audio solution as well. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here, but I include it for completeness.)

You're overthinking it.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Not even sure now where I read it but I got it in my head to upgrade to 16 gauge wire for the speakers I picked up mentioned above. Was using the tiny stuff that came with the system. Just switched it out with the 16/2 stuff and tried gfs Xbox and the receiver shut off after about 10 seconds. Could a higher gauge wire cause that or am I doing something else wrong?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

codo27 posted:

Not even sure now where I read it but I got it in my head to upgrade to 16 gauge wire for the speakers I picked up mentioned above. Was using the tiny stuff that came with the system. Just switched it out with the 16/2 stuff and tried gfs Xbox and the receiver shut off after about 10 seconds. Could a higher gauge wire cause that or am I doing something else wrong?

It's far more likely that you have a stray strand bridging positive and negative somewhere. Double check and make sure no exposed wire is hanging out of any connection. The wire gauge has no real effect on power draw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sounds dead on, I did do a pretty poor job on that. I'll double check that when I get home

yep, that fixed it. HOWEVER. Trying on the Xbox again and I notice sitting close to the speakers a bit of static on the menu sound effects. She is playing a game now and its fine

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2017

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
could just be better speakers revealing poor quality sounds :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Don't sit that close to the speakers.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just got a Sonos employee offer for sub floor samples. Can get 1 at $225. If only I didn't already have one sitting in a box.

Where was this deal a few months ago? :(

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Buy the employee deal sub, flip it as NIB. I'm sure sonos stuff has good resale value.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

How much heat would one of these give off? This would just fit on my console, but be real close to the bevel of my TV's front panel.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Frank Dillinger posted:

Buy the employee deal sub, flip it as NIB. I'm sure sonos stuff has good resale value.

I guess I could sell the NIB one as NIB and just use the floor model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Listerine posted:

How much heat would one of these give off? This would just fit on my console, but be real close to the bevel of my TV's front panel.

I've never felt any significant heat from a soundbar. Could be a tube model though, you never know :v: