Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

A great article on Pat Riley and his tortured psyche
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19233570/why-miami-heat-president-pat-riley-leave-nba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I found a book to add to the SAS Summer reading list. It highlights the contributions from the real heroes of the NBA - Silicon Valley venture capitalists

Betaball: How Silicon Valley and Science Built One of the Greatest Basketball Teams in History

quote:

Moneyball meets The City Game in this compelling look at how the Golden State Warriors embraced savvy business practices and the corporate culture of Silicon Valley to not only produce one of the greatest basketball teams in history but also revolutionize the NBA.

Discover the definitive, inside account of how the Warriors, under the leadership of venture capitalist Joe Lacob and Hollywood producer Peter Guber, quickly became one of the most remarkable success stories ever, both in sports and business. In just five years, they turned a declining franchise with no immediate hope into one of the greatest teams in basketball, a period that included the rise of All-Star point guard Stephen Curry. By operating in "beta" -- always innovating, unafraid to embrace change, encouraging risk -- the Warriors have become a model organization for American professional sports, instituting the best workplace principles found inside the world's most successful corporations and instilling a top-down organizational ethos that allows their employees to thrive, from the front office to the free-throw line.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I found a book to add to the SAS Summer reading list. It highlights the contributions from the real heroes of the NBA - Silicon Valley venture capitalists

Betaball: How Silicon Valley and Science Built One of the Greatest Basketball Teams in History

The best place for this book would be at the bottom of a burning pile of disco records.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Beta Ball? A clear slap in the face to Los Tres Alphas

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lockback posted:

The same people who were stomping their feet about "DISCO SUCKS" are the same people today who are mad that the USA dare give poor people health care or gay people marry or someone call themselves a man or woman. Disco came from the black and gay subcultures, and it was accessible by anyone. You didn't need money and the best music was coming from clubs that allowed mixed groups. I mean, some people just didn't like Disco and that's fine. But people getting real ANNNGGRRRRYYYYYY about it were mostly angry about integration and encroaching cultures they didn't understand/like.

This is 100 percent true.

the people who love Bob Seger to this day... and why they love him

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BWV posted:

Dokmo and Lockback are speaking the truth. It was a music invented by gay black and latino people and then commercialized to appeal to women and those who could move their upper and lower body simultaneously in rhythm. There are some good books out there that talk about how the aesthetic features of disco are inherently resistant to hetro-normative ideals. But basically its the idea that a bunch of overgrown leather jacket wearing honkeys were cheesed that their girls wanted to go dancing (which they hated and was for gays) and not spend the rest of their lives standing upright nodding their head to rock music. It emasculated them and became a symbol for integration and the erosion of honkey life.

yep yep yep Bob Seger loving resentful straight white working class/lower middle class guys felt threatened and disrespected. And now they have ascended the mountain and elected Trump.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure the Orlando Magic have existed in beta for like 5 years and it's been working out wonderfully. I guess the thing about innovation is that sometimes it's so innovative that the rest of us can't even grasp how innovative it truly is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Someone please pay Dion Waiters millions of dollars to regularly blog about his season. Fire all the Ringer NBA writers and replace them with Dion.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

loving lmao that they called it Betaball. Perfect.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Someone please pay Dion Waiters millions of dollars to regularly blog about his season. Fire all the Ringer NBA writers and replace them with Dion.

Bring back agent zero blog

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

They are a bunch of betas

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

leftist heap posted:

lmao I just came here to post this

hell yeah!!

gently caress yes I respect this quote so much

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's 2017 and betas are cool and we're all trying to imbrace change and innovation

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

My favorite thing about Toronto crowds is them booing Camby for a decade after he was traded away, even though Camby had nothing to do with it, and was totally confused about why he was being booed.

My personal favourite booing experience was seeing the Raptors play Orlando in 2011 and booing Hedo every time he touched the ball. It was a liberating experience.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

attackmole posted:

My personal favourite booing experience was seeing the Raptors play Orlando in 2011 and booing Hedo every time he touched the ball. It was a liberating experience.

In 2011 this is a natural response to anyone watching Hedo touch a basketball.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I can't wait for the descent of this Warriors team, and for these kind of fans and people to wonder why it all fell apart. I like Kerr, I like some of the players, but the culture that's building around it is so shortsighted, and ignores how much of building a team like the Warriors did is just amazing luck.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

Oh believe me it's something that aged well. It's like, with Carter you can look back and say "ahhh he was a kid, let bygones be bygones". With Hedo there's no regrets, just delicious schadenfreude.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I can't wait for the descent of this Warriors team, and for these kind of fans and people to wonder why it all fell apart. I like Kerr, I like some of the players, but the culture that's building around it is so shortsighted, and ignores how much of building a team like the Warriors did is just amazing luck.

It doesn't even make sense to me to emphasise the Silicon Valley tech nerd connection with the Warriors other than the happenstance of their location. If it was Mike D'Antoni/Moreyball style stats heavy analysis I could understand it, or Hinke-esque ruthlessly results oriented methods of roster construction and philosophy, but all the Warriors did was draft two guys who happened to turn into the best three point shooters in history and then have the coach say "Yes, do more of that".

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Actually decent article about Green and the GSW defense: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/25/15420756/draymond-green-defense-breakdown-nba-warriors-blazers

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Two things make me lol about this. First, Curry was drafted under the previous owners so it's funny seeing any credit taken for him by the current ownership. Second, the current ownership was ok with trading Curry or Monta and the Bucks chose Monta.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

It doesn't even make sense to me to emphasise the Silicon Valley tech nerd connection with the Warriors other than the happenstance of their location. If it was Mike D'Antoni/Moreyball style stats heavy analysis I could understand it, or Hinke-esque ruthlessly results oriented methods of roster construction and philosophy, but all the Warriors did was draft two guys who happened to turn into the best three point shooters in history and then have the coach say "Yes, do more of that".

Well, I don't think its fair to just say luck. When draft picks wash out we say it was bad GMing, when players work its not fair to then say its just luck.

The Warriors did make a big move bringing Bogut in and basing their offense around Curry. At the time it was them basically saying injury prone guys were an undervalued bet, and the bet paid off. A lot of people here thought Curry's contract was a bad one and that they should have traded him. They got Max-money production without paying a max to those two guys, that is huge. The team also pushed the 3 ball hard. Not that they were the only NBA team in the league doing that but they were the best at it. Sometimes a strategy doesn't have to unorthodox to give credit to someone for executing it well. They had a real good draft run and hired a good coach. Those are all things the organization should get credit for.

With the exception of Kerr, most of the rest of the organization like to pat themselves on the back too much but did take a team that was not the best NBA-market in the league and made some good moves. They had some luck, sure, but they also made the most of it.

Spacebump posted:

Two things make me lol about this. First, Curry was drafted under the previous owners so it's funny seeing any credit taken for him by the current ownership. Second, the current ownership was ok with trading Curry or Monta and the Bucks chose Monta.

Tons of people deny this, even people who'd have no reason to lie. Both sides seemed to start with Ellis, is there a reputable source for this beyond sports writers?

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2017

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

ball.

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/856908521329315840

Canaan's had to pretend to be IT so he is most suited to guard him I suppose.

Bulls in 6

I guess he wasn't awful last game and maybe the Bulls Tiny Playoff PG Magic trick is tied to the uniforms instead of Thibs

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also I read that Pat Riley piece that someone posted in the thread earlier and it kind of ignores why Wade actually left

quote:

Wade decided to leave Miami, his bond with Riley fractured. They'd been like family once, with Wade visiting Riley at home and Riley a guest at Wade's wedding. But with Bosh's return in grave doubt, Wade saw an uncertain future in Miami -- and just like that, the Big Three had disintegrated. Hurt and wounded, Riley and his wife booked a last-minute trip to Paris, leaving three days later for a reprieve and a few Bruce Springsteen shows. During the first one, Springsteen played Riley's favorite song: "Land of Hope and Dreams." It's an anthem for Riley, because he spends a lot of time imagining the future he might have, when all his battles have been fought and won. He dreams of a different life, and not in an abstract way. He sees it, down to the taste of the dinner he'll eat and the music he'll play.

Wade left because Miami refused to commit to him for longer than one season at a time for cap flexibility. There are a lot of reasons behind that and not all of them are necessarily Riley's fault (it's perfectly reasonable to not want to lock up $40m a year on two 30+ year olds, one out indefinitely and the other with a history of injuries, when the team's ceiling isn't especially high), but acting like Wade left because Bosh got hurt and the future was cloudy is dishonest.

e: it was BWV, what up BWV

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The basketball operations side, GS has been crushing it and should get a good pat on the back for that. The other stuff though? In that PB&J story Lacob brought over that Aussie to creating a wiz-bang new dietary program which everyone hated because they couldn't get a PB&J and now that guy is gone and did jack poo poo compared to his lofty title

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's a good thing for the Warriors Dwight picked Houston. Otherwise we might not get all this smugness.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Everyone in a position of power in silicon valley thinks their incredible luck was a result of their own genius planning. Especially the loving venture capitalists.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

predicto posted:

Dame Lillard just has the heart of a lion.

Rest of Portland just laid down and dies

Noctone posted:

Eh, that would probably be a really boring finals. Like a gentleman's sweep at best. With as bad as Cleveland's defense is, I don't think even Lebron going super saiyan can save them from a full strength Warriors squad.

I can see it being close if there are some outlier games where GSW is missing good looks and Kyrie Irving is making a bunch of contested bullshit, but otherwise no.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Peope in san fran hate san fran.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

nice

Spite posted:

Everyone in a position of power in silicon valley thinks their incredible luck was a result of their own genius planning. Especially the loving venture capitalists.

I mean this is a universal truth not just limited to Silicon Valley, the difference is that SVVCs want to shake up paradigms or whatever the gently caress

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-granger-on-paul-george-cant-fault-him-if-he-leaves-indiana-he-wants-to-win/
Danny Granger says you can't fault Paul George if he leaves Indiana because he wants to win.

All current rumors have him wanting to go to the Lakers. A team that wins less and is further away from a title than the Pacers. All of these young stars really make me appreciate players that played with one franchise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just lol at the tgifs on City Line.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spacebump posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-granger-on-paul-george-cant-fault-him-if-he-leaves-indiana-he-wants-to-win/
Danny Granger says you can't fault Paul George if he leaves Indiana because he wants to win.

All current rumors have him wanting to go to the Lakers. A team that wins less and is further away from a title than the Pacers. All of these young stars really make me appreciate players that played with one franchise.

Yeah he's really loving stupid if he leaves Indiana for the Lakers because he wants to win. That team isn't competing for a title for a while. I still think that money talks, especially if he makes an All-NBA team. Bird really needs to make some great moves and fire McMillan though.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Extremely excited for the finals, Utah and the Great White vs Boston and Seal

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Let's go Grizz, tonight

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The sad bear avatar does not work in faceapp B(

Houston going to be lit tonight

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

also they get easier the more you do in a row as you dial it in, even in game situations i believe the 2nd ft has been proven to be more likely to go in than the 1st?

Yes, and the third even more.

Tae posted:

I still believe the 2010 bulls could've won the nba finals if the hawks didnt give iso joe the maxy max at that time.

The 8 seed team?

Dexo posted:

He's a loving headcase that needs to get out of this organization.

Mirotic is the Jay Cutler of Stretch 4's

Mirotic needs to take more 3P shots farther from the basket. I want to see more 40 foot 3P shots from someone nearly seven feet tall.

:lol:
PS Hoiberg will be fined at least $50K for saying the H word twice.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-kristaps-porzingis-play-latvian-national-team-article-1.3094201

2nd year rookie skips exit meeting, and even ignores the front office's wishes on staying in new york to learn the triangle instead of playing euroball

Brilliant reverse psychology by phil, push away your player to do what you wanted him to do by saying the opposite

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

code:
Player		  Playoffs +/- (since 2001)
LeBron James	  978
Manu Ginobili	  970
Tim Duncan	  968
Derek Fisher	  652
Tony Parker	  598
Chauncey Billups  571
Ray Allen	  558
Kobe Bryant	  542
Shaquille O'Neal  455
Dwyane Wade	  454
LBJ has moved into #1 and will end up way higher than anyone else.

Noctone posted:

Eh, that would probably be a really boring finals. Like a gentleman's sweep at best. With as bad as Cleveland's defense is, I don't think even Lebron going super saiyan can save them from a full strength Warriors squad.

It is likely that injuries/suspensions/referee malfeasance will be necessary.

RCarr posted:

Does Durant have a timetable for return yet? I really want to see a finals rematch with both teams at full strength.

He played last night.

Spite posted:

Everyone in a position of power in silicon valley thinks their incredible luck was a result of their own genius planning.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Kristaps making some power moves asserting his independence here. Daaammnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my prediction is that Kristaps AND Melo will outlast Phil in NY

• Locked thread