Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want a really young kid to play tabletop stuff you should play board games with them since kids tend to take to the physicality of it. Something like Loopin' Chewie or Go Cuckoo! maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My 5 year old loves "the spaceship game" aka Galaxy Trucker. She makes her own ships and they usually only have a couple of mistakes (that I let slide or help her fix). So, you know, you don't really have to baby them. Carcassonne would be fine for that age, I think. Just be prepared to help them out a bunch with any game.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kwyndig posted:

You don't even have to put him on ignore

You don't have to, sure, but it's pretty nice.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To expand I didnt said that to be an rear end in a top hat, I honestly think younger children should just be left to discover what they like themselves and that the trend of the new generation parents who are into "geek stuff" forcing that stuff on their kids is really distressing. Or at least encourage them to like sports and physical exercise instead of being 24/7 watching minecraft youtube streamers on a phone!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The cycle will be complete when children rebelling against their geekcore parents go to the gym and becomes super buff jocks who are really great at sports.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

slap me and kiss me posted:

The cycle will be complete when children rebelling against their geekcore parents go to the gym and becomes super buff jocks who are really great at sports.

That last part reminded me of that Power Thirst video

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Plutonis posted:

To expand I didnt said that to be an rear end in a top hat, I honestly think younger children should just be left to discover what they like themselves and that the trend of the new generation parents who are into "geek stuff" forcing that stuff on their kids is really distressing. Or at least encourage them to like sports and physical exercise instead of being 24/7 watching minecraft youtube streamers on a phone!

To expand, I said trigger because I checked your post history and saw that you'd called someone a normie in this thread.

I don't want to force my kids to do anything they don't want to do, my wife and I like playing board games so I wondered what games there were that are pitched at younger kids.

They're also not getting a phone until they're 18.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
We have a lot of fun here in Trad Games, but holy poo poo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

We have a lot of fun here in Trad Games

...do we?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oodles posted:

To expand, I said trigger because I checked your post history and saw that you'd called someone a normie in this thread.
lol

quote:

lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
(blithely continuing on despite the fact that you got up and left minutes ago) -triggered? I'm sorry, do you need a safe space? What's wrong, was that not politically correct? Oh, was that problematic? You seem upset, am I not being tolerant? What's got your goat, is-

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Oodles posted:

As somone who graduated college last year, look forward to your child being a social outcast and hating you.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

As somone who graduated college last year, look forward to your child being a social outcast and hating you.

Perfect way to guarantee they wind up as gamers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oodles posted:

I don't want to force my kids to do anything they don't want to do, my wife and I like playing board games so I wondered what games there were that are pitched at younger kids.

Thank you for being open and sincere to me and not listening to the bad advice of known racist troll and game designer Fuego Fish. I appreciate that, friend.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've encountered a single child over the age of 12 who didn't have a phone that wasn't a pariah in their peer group. Kids text an awful lot now, and I doubt that's going to change much (maybe they'll use more emojis?) in the next decade or two.

Or, to paraphrase a character from a popular children's cartoon: not having a phone doesn't make you interesting, it just makes you the person nobody remembers to invite.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Covok posted:

At the age 18 my kids are going to hate me, it comes with the territory of being a parent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oodles posted:

At the age 18 my kids are going to hate me, it comes with the territory of being a parent.
Yes, but they'll be justified.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oodles posted:

You could try not molesting them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serf
May 5, 2011

i remember being pretty okay with my parents at 18

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Rip Plutonis

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Oodles posted:

Tell me about your mother.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

slap me and kiss me posted:

The 200 Word RPG contest closed with over 700 entries. Anyone here put one in for consideration?

I didn't but I have read like 80 of them so far (I'm judging this year). The top three also get featured on my podcast (woo) so hey good luck to any goons what submitted.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I would have certainly put in a thing I'd known, but it was over by the time I heard about it, alas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

i remember being pretty okay with my parents at 18

Same here. I got along with my parents fine when I was a teenager.

I am really baffled about "well my kid is gonna hate me so I might as well gently caress them over as much as possible" attitude.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Same here. I got along with my parents fine when I was a teenager.

I am really baffled about "well my kid is gonna hate me so I might as well gently caress them over as much as possible" attitude.

Usually those people hated their own parents. Which actually still doesn't make sense, because if you really hated your parents wouldn't you want to show them up by having your kids love you?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think it's simple projection but I could be wrong. Maybe it's a way of absolving yourself of responsibility? If "I have a good relationship with my kids" is an indicator of good parenting and you say "I reject that" then it's easier to be a good parent. One less value to measure up to. If that makes sense.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
"My kids are gonna hate me anyways" is a common enough joke that gets a solid chuckle among parents. Using it as some sort of justification for forcing your child to be a luddite/social pariah is...weird.

To answer the original question (are we still talking about that?), my kids learned on Catan Junior. My eleven-year-old daughter now loves regular Catan and Ticket to Ride.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I made some custom style sheets for Spellbound Kingdoms for a boss fight that went down pretty well with my players. The Lich King one isn't pretty but there were some appropriately pant-making GBS threads moments for the party when one player had an Inspiration-nullifying arrow stuck in him and two others were mind controlled. It's the first time I've homebrewed anything for the system and I'm pleased that it didn't crash and burn horribly. I kind of want to keep doing it for boss fights and maybe write a few more regular combat styles to fill a few gaps that I think exist in the core selection.

The actual boss fight itself was the Lich King and a summoned shade of Lord Archer, the setting's equivalent of the Grim Reaper, vs the party in an underground chamber flooded with soul-shredding necrotic water. The party were grappling hooking between pieces of rubble that were islands in the water. When he dropped to zero, the Lich King was resurrected by the chained up corporeal form of Lord Archer who was trapped inside the rib cage of a titanic skeleton. Once they freed Archer, the shade disappeared and they could final kill the Lich. Two supporting NPC wizards were using battlecraft magic to alter the terrain at the player's orders to create temporary bridges and walls and the like. Three of the players had been previously branded by the Lich King's servants with a magical brand which prevented them from resisting Force Obedience and only two of them had managed to remove the brand before the boss fight. It got quite hairy. Meanwhile the party's NPC backup are keeping the bone kraken in the water, the Lich's cultists and his army of summoned zombies occupied while the party take on the Lich. It was crazy.

After they jobbed the Lich, the party Trader decided to bend the knee to Lord Archer and has cross-classed into being a Chosen One of Archer. Meanwhile a bunch of the backup NPCs also bent the knee and became vampires, liches or Chosen Ones themselves - this includes some enemies of the party who they temporarily allied with to deal with this whole Lich King situation. Now there's a bunch of vampiric devotees of the Grim Reaper rolling around town. I like the direction the game is taking :getin:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gau posted:

My eleven-year-old daughter now loves regular Catan

I'm sorry

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Countblanc posted:

If you want a really young kid to play tabletop stuff you should play board games with them since kids tend to take to the physicality of it. Something like Loopin' Chewie or Go Cuckoo! maybe.

Tsuro and Hey, That's My Fish! are worth a look too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Doodmons posted:

So I made some custom style sheets for Spellbound Kingdoms for a boss fight that went down pretty well with my players. The Lich King one isn't pretty but there were some appropriately pant-making GBS threads moments for the party when one player had an Inspiration-nullifying arrow stuck in him and two others were mind controlled. It's the first time I've homebrewed anything for the system and I'm pleased that it didn't crash and burn horribly. I kind of want to keep doing it for boss fights and maybe write a few more regular combat styles to fill a few gaps that I think exist in the core selection.

The actual boss fight itself was the Lich King and a summoned shade of Lord Archer, the setting's equivalent of the Grim Reaper, vs the party in an underground chamber flooded with soul-shredding necrotic water. The party were grappling hooking between pieces of rubble that were islands in the water. When he dropped to zero, the Lich King was resurrected by the chained up corporeal form of Lord Archer who was trapped inside the rib cage of a titanic skeleton. Once they freed Archer, the shade disappeared and they could final kill the Lich. Two supporting NPC wizards were using battlecraft magic to alter the terrain at the player's orders to create temporary bridges and walls and the like. Three of the players had been previously branded by the Lich King's servants with a magical brand which prevented them from resisting Force Obedience and only two of them had managed to remove the brand before the boss fight. It got quite hairy. Meanwhile the party's NPC backup are keeping the bone kraken in the water, the Lich's cultists and his army of summoned zombies occupied while the party take on the Lich. It was crazy.

After they jobbed the Lich, the party Trader decided to bend the knee to Lord Archer and has cross-classed into being a Chosen One of Archer. Meanwhile a bunch of the backup NPCs also bent the knee and became vampires, liches or Chosen Ones themselves - this includes some enemies of the party who they temporarily allied with to deal with this whole Lich King situation. Now there's a bunch of vampiric devotees of the Grim Reaper rolling around town. I like the direction the game is taking :getin:

That all sounds pretty cool! How do you deal with classes that don't seem meant for multiclassing once you enter them, like the Chosen One? Just ignoring the Mood penalty? Or will they never switch back to levels in Trader?

Also while the thread is being weird I'd like to ask a diversionary question: are there any good systems for reenacting The Fast & The Furious? Outside of like, Car Wars or a system that can be generally applicable to numerous settings like Fate/FAE, that is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Feng Shui, maybe?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3rd Edition GURPS Vehicles

Car Lesbians RPG?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Arivia posted:

Feng Shui, maybe?

It definitely has car combat rules. Not sure how close they model Fast and the Furious.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Gau posted:

"My kids are gonna hate me anyways" is a common enough joke that gets a solid chuckle among parents.

Thank you for actually seeing the joke of where I was coming from.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
A bunch of friends are working on an Apocalypse-esque game about Nordic Noir, their Kickstarter is already funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1369976955/the-quick-tabletop-rpg-of-nordic-noir-ghost-storie?ref=nav_search

If you liked series like the Bridge (Nordic version) you might find this interesting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also while the thread is being weird I'd like to ask a diversionary question: are there any good systems for reenacting The Fast & The Furious? Outside of like, Car Wars or a system that can be generally applicable to numerous settings like Fate/FAE, that is.

Spycraft 2.0 probably has the best chase system but is probably one of the crunchiest d20 games to have ever been written, so YMMV.

(I really wish they'd put out the trimmed-down Spycraft 3.0 already, I got to play a demo years ago as not-Dom Torreto, which was fun.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gau posted:

My eleven-year-old daughter now loves regular Catan
Oodles is now only the second cruelest parent in the thread.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Atomic Highway? :shrug:

It's free. http://www.rpgnow.com/m/product/70124

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Feng Shui, maybe?

Huh, Feng Shui would definitely have the cinematic stunting bit down.

gradenko_2000 posted:

3rd Edition GURPS Vehicles

Car Lesbians RPG?

I'm pretty bad at cube roots, so GURPS vehicles will have to be a pass. Car Lesbians is.... interesting

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Spycraft 2.0 probably has the best chase system but is probably one of the crunchiest d20 games to have ever been written, so YMMV.

(I really wish they'd put out the trimmed-down Spycraft 3.0 already, I got to play a demo years ago as not-Dom Torreto, which was fun.)

Well, somewhere in Spycraft there's probably long-range claw car tasers, so it has that going for it.

Huh I know I put that on my reading list forever ago but never got around to it. I'll have to look into it now.

• Locked thread