Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know why everyone is so hard on a dude who started 2 whole games. Every time someone suggests trading Jimmy G to Cleveland, I think of Matt Cassell, who started basically a whole season.

As a Browns fan, I will be forever angry if they give up the farm for Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Polian is poo poo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know why everyone is so hard on a dude who started 2 whole games. Every time someone suggests trading Jimmy G to Cleveland, I think of Matt Cassell, who started basically a whole season.

As a Browns fan, I will be forever angry if they give up the farm for Jimmy.

He smelled Tom Brady's jock strap once.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Someone save all this stuff, so when Jimmy leaves in Free Agency, someone overpays, and he immediately falls flat on his face we have even more evidence of Bill Polian being totally poo poo at everything.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think Bill Polian is very astute in this situation and we should all listen to him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

I think Bill Polian is very astute in this situation and we should all listen to him.

Same.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jimmy looks like a Superman reboot and played just well enough to confirm what everyone wants to believe about someone that ridiculously handsome.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Kalli posted:

Ban trading draft picks and players can't be traded until their 2nd season

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think at this point it must be to drive twitter mentions or something.

Yeah I think Polian is just embracing becoming a hot take machine. God I would take that job in a second.

Myles Garrett cares too much about poetry, not worthy of #1 overall. If I'm the Panthers, I give away this year's AND next year's first to San Francisco to make SURE I get Fournette. Chad Kelly won't make it past the second round.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Colin Kaepernik is worth more than Jimmy Garoppolo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Colin Kaepernik is worth more than Jimmy Garoppolo.

I actually agree with this.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

I can't wait until the Texans trade him to the Browns in a salary dump in a few years.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I actually agree with this.

Eh disagree. One is a very limited player who is somewhat damaged goods. The other is possibly capable of playing in a complex, modern NFL offense.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Remember when Mike Lombardi was urging teams to trade 2nd rounders for Brian Hoyer. And then he did it again when Ryan Mallett was on the block?

Good times.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Remember when Mike Lombardi was urging teams to trade 2nd rounders for Brian Hoyer. And then he did it again when Ryan Mallett was on the block?

Good times.

I think Lombardi's offer was something like the Browns' #1, #12, 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year.

It was hilarious.

I thought he had an interesting insight first when he started on the Ringer, but he's so far in the tank for the Patriots and so often so completely bafflingly stupid about his evaluations on things that I've really just started skipping most of the episodes they've put up with him featured.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bob McGinn is an interesting read around draft time but by far the greatest insight to be gathered from his articles is that NFL executives actually don't know poo poo about football. The Polians, Lombardis, and Casserlys aren't hilarious outliers, they're the exact same guys running your front office today.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eh disagree. One is a very limited player who is somewhat damaged goods. The other is possibly capable of playing in a complex, modern NFL offense.

Pick any QB that will be drafted in this year's draft and you have a player who is possibly capable of playing in an complex, modern NFL offense. Both Kaep and Garoppolo have actually played in games, but Kaep has way more experience, has proven he can actually win football games, and has done so on a team less stacked than Garoppolo.

So they're both basically solid backup QBs for any NFL team, but as a backup, Kaep would be a far better option - just due to his experience - than Garoppolo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think Jimmy and Kaep are both better options than whatever QB you could get with this year's #12 pick, but the Browns have a lot more needs than QB, either veteran choice would be risky and expensive, and I wouldn't blame the Browns at all if they just made this one another rebuilding year and worried about signing a franchise QB some other time

(but I really really doubt their fanbase or sponsors want to hear that kind of talk)

That said if they DID want to give us four picks for Jimmy I wouldn't exactly argue

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Pick any QB that will be drafted in this year's draft and you have a player who is possibly capable of playing in an complex, modern NFL offense. Both Kaep and Garoppolo have actually played in games, but Kaep has way more experience, has proven he can actually win football games, and has done so on a team less stacked than Garoppolo.

So they're both basically solid backup QBs for any NFL team, but as a backup, Kaep would be a far better option - just due to his experience - than Garoppolo.

Kaep can win: in a system with a good offensive line, some weapons, a great defense on the other side of the ball and a smart coaching staff that crafts an offense to fit his strength and weaknesses. But any mediocre quarterback would also succeed in that environment. Look at Alex Smith in Kansas City, or on the 49ers in the Harbaugh years. I really think Kaep does not have the skills mentally (can't read a defense) or physically (can't throw touch passes, can't throw deep anymore) to run a complete NFL offense. He's not even a good choice for a backup because you can't just plug him in and run the same offense if your starter goes down.

I'd take a somewhat unknown Garoppolo over Kaep hands down.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Who are these backups that you can plug in and run the same offense with successfully?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

Who are these backups that you can plug in and run the same offense with successfully?

Nick Foles

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Pats fans never scared to publicly jerk each other off over Matt Cassel Mark III

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What happened with Nick Foles anyway, just mediocre and the refs cut down the rhythm of Chip's offense so they couldn't catch people unaware?

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Pats fans never scared to publicly jerk each other off over Matt Cassel Mark III

Do you do anything besides post strawmen?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Nick Foles has almost as slow of a wind-up and release as Tim Tebow

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Derek Anderson!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

From a "win now" standpoint, sure--Kaep may get you more immediate wins. But you know what you're getting with him and it's very unlikely he'll improve at this point--you're gonna get the same guy who struggles making his second read, lacks touch on his throws, depends too much on his physical gifts, etc. On the flip side, Garoppolo is younger, has more potential (though some of this is by virtue of being less of a known quantity), and likely the better option to try building a franchise around. If you're getting Garoppolo, you're not trying to slot him in as a backup, you're betting on him as the future of the franchise.

I'm not sure how well your argument about stacked teams holds up--the 49ers were absolutely loaded with talent during Kaep's best years under Harbaugh, possibly moreso than the Patriots were last year.

also "Kaep has shown he can actually win football games" isn't a strong argument

e: That said, no one should give up a bunch of picks for Garoppolo. Like a 2nd rounder at best

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Do you do anything besides post strawmen?

Oh, I'm sorry, is it illegal to make fun of this every couple of weeks back-and-forth earnest defense of an outrageous trade for a guy that's played 2 NFL quarters worth of snaps?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jimmy looked pretty good in 2 starts and ran the same offense (except less efficiently) than Tom Brady.

Being able to 1) Put up with Josh McDaniels and 2) learn an incredibly difficult offense as a QB is a good sign. The guy had two starts and won both games, he could be really good, or he could be garbage. But, he's definitely getting the time to sit and learn and performing well.

And yeah, that trade is insane, but one first is a mild stretch.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, is it illegal to make fun of this every couple of weeks back-and-forth earnest defense of an outrageous trade for a guy that's played 2 NFL quarters worth of snaps?

No one is earnestly defending trading a bunch of picks for Jimmy G. So I'm not sure who you are talking at when you say we're all jerking each other off. Maybe you're mad at Bill Polian.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everyone should trade 45 dollars for aj mccarron. To me. i'll buy a nice "cincinnati suit" with that kind of money. have a good ole fashioned day in your life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The thing that never comes up in these trade talks is that you wouldn't be trading for the quarterback of the future, you'd be trading for a one year test run. Yeah that gives you a good idea of what you're paying for after Garrapolo's one year lease is up but if he's great there is nothing stopping him from going wherever he pleases immediately after that year is up. You might be giving up multiple high draft picks for one year of production.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

No one is earnestly defending trading a bunch of picks for Jimmy G. So I'm not sure who you are talking at when you say we're all jerking each other off. Maybe you're mad at Bill Polian.

Lol, this entire page is in large part Pats fans defending Jimmy G. How he's better than Kaep, better than all of the options available in the draft. In an odd coincidence, almost all of those posts are are from Pats fans, carnale

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

FizFashizzle posted:

Derek Anderson!

unless he only gets one play because you're arbitrarily punishing your actual starter for a stupid dress code violation. Then he'll throw a pick six in protest.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The thing that never comes up in these trade talks is that you wouldn't be trading for the quarterback of the future, you'd be trading for a one year test run. Yeah that gives you a good idea of what you're paying for after Garrapolo's one year lease is up but if he's great there is nothing stopping him from going wherever he pleases immediately after that year is up. You might be giving up multiple high draft picks for one year of production.

A team could trade for him and then sign him to a long-term deal before the season begins. It happens often enough

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Lol, this entire page is in large part Pats fans defending Jimmy G. How he's better than Kaep, better than all of the options available in the draft. In an odd coincidence, almost all of those posts are are from Pats fans, carnale

I mocked the Bill Polian trade suggestion, but said I think he's a better option than Kaep, in a vaccum. Which is hardly outrageous. Kalil (pats fan) disagreed with me, TheChirurgeon basically agreed. Literally no one said he's better than all the options in the draft. Anyway, this is enough posting about posting.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I mocked the Bill Polian trade suggestion, but said I think he's a better option than Kaep, in a vaccum. Which is hardly outrageous. Kalil (pats fan) disagreed with me, TheChirurgeon basically agreed. Literally no one said he's better than all the options in the draft. Anyway, this is enough posting about posting.

loquacius posted:

I think Jimmy and Kaep are both better options than whatever QB you could get with this year's #12 pick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You don't think Trubisky or Watson will be gone before pick 12? That's pretty far out there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

You don't think Trubisky or Watson will be gone before pick 12? That's pretty far out there.

Yeah nobody's like WE ARE MOVING UP FOR THEM but there's way too many bad teams with terrible QB situations for it not to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

Yeah I don't think it's the same thing to say "better than every option" and "better than the options likely to be available at pick #12"

• Locked thread