Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

latlh 'oy' 'oH SeH 'oH nab SoH (It hurts more because you coordinated it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I know it was really because of bad budget decisions, but there's a part of me that can't help wondering if the Enterprise-D getting punked out by a fuckin' Bird of Prey is supposed to be some kind of symmetry with Captain Kirk getting shot in the back killed by a bridge because Ron Moore has a hardon for killing his father subverting expectations or something, and he just shut the gently caress up forever about that after seeing how much poo poo he already got just for Kirk and decided to let the mean ol' studio beancounters take the heat for the Ent-D's lame loving death.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If the movie had to kill both Kirk and the D, it should've ended with Kirk basically doing the same thing as George Kirk ended up doing in JJTrek. Sitting in the command chair of the D as he rides it, alone, to its final destruction to save the universe.

Yes it would've been cliche but sometimes you have to accept cliche.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

McSpanky posted:

They're not magic wishing machines, we're told and shown repeatedly that replicated food doesn't hold up to the real thing

Of course, this is hilariously inconsistent.

"your computer here fixed about the best martini I have ever had"
        /
      /
    /

"Laddie, I was drinking scotch a hundred years before you were born. And I can tell you that whatever this is, it is definitely not scotch."
        /
      /
    /

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If the movie had to kill both Kirk and the D, it should've ended with Kirk basically doing the same thing as George Kirk ended up doing in JJTrek. Sitting in the command chair of the D as he rides it, alone, to its final destruction to save the universe.

Yes it would've been cliche but sometimes you have to accept cliche.

Jim, you'll be killed, just like Decker.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

/
      /
    /

Dude just got a new liver after partying for 30 years. He could have replicated mouth wash or vanilla extract and been ecstatic.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I just watched an episode of TNG, The Descent, and there was a really important point it didn't adequately explain. The biggest conflict in the whole double episode was caused by Data getting emotions, which started with him feeling anger when he was attacked by a borg. But the emotions he felt through most of it were artifically beamed into him by his brother and it didn't say whether the anger was too. They treated it like a natural development at the beginning but then by the end Geordi was saying "without that chip you'll never have emotions, sorry." So how was Lore doing that at the beginning to make Data angry? Wtf?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MrJacobs posted:

Dude just got a new liver after partying for 30 years. He could have replicated mouth wash or vanilla extract and been ecstatic.

Or he just likes not good martinis.

Like people that think Wendy's has good french fries.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sash! posted:

Like people that think Wendy's has good french fries.

How could such a lowly creature exist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just watched an episode of TNG, The Descent, and there was a really important point it didn't adequately explain. The biggest conflict in the whole double episode was caused by Data getting emotions, which started with him feeling anger when he was attacked by a borg. But the emotions he felt through most of it were artifically beamed into him by his brother and it didn't say whether the anger was too. They treated it like a natural development at the beginning but then by the end Geordi was saying "without that chip you'll never have emotions, sorry." So how was Lore doing that at the beginning to make Data angry? Wtf?

Lore somehow gave the Borgs the ability to transmit whatever info the emotions chip contained, I think.

Remember that Borg in the brig was able to turn off Data's ethical subroutine or whatever so he'd turn on his friends. So maybe Lore told those Borgs at the beginning to start sending Data the anger emotions.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

dont even fink about it posted:

How could such a lowly creature exist?

It's hard to gently caress up a french fry too badly.
Unless you make potato wedges. Useless hot tasteless things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrJacobs posted:

Scotty had probably had synthetic booze before too, even if it was shittier at the time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

VitalSigns posted:

Lore somehow gave the Borgs the ability to transmit whatever info the emotions chip contained, I think.

Remember that Borg in the brig was able to turn off Data's ethical subroutine or whatever so he'd turn on his friends. So maybe Lore told those Borgs at the beginning to start sending Data the anger emotions.

I thought about that and rewatched the scene for any sign they could be transmitting but they don't even seem to recognize that Data is artificial until after he's had his anger episode, nor would Lore have had any reason to suspect he'd be there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Scotty has also been consistently shown as hating on newer, modern tech since he bashed the Excelsior in ST:III so it's no shock he'd find ways to bitch about something like a replicated drink. Even if it did taste good he'd say it was poo poo. Scotty is the old guy who loves to soup up 50s cars and will mod them til the cows come home but hates all modern cars to the point of silliness.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

At this rate, we'll have caught up to the time in which Star Trek Discovery takes place by the time it comes out.

WGA Members Vote For Strike Authorization – Star Trek Discovery Writers Voice Their Support

quote:

Some of the writers for Star Trek: Discovery voiced their support for the strike authorization via Twitter when voting began last week, including Bo Yeon Kim and Sean Cochran. Supervising Producer Ted Sullivan also urged his fellow writers to vote yes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Here's to the last episode of Season 1 being a clip episode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VitalSigns posted:

/
      /
    /

"Laddie, I was drinking scotch a hundred years before you were born. And I can tell you that whatever this is, it is definitely not scotch."
        /
      /
    /

I'll explain this.
In Star Trek, replicators are actually perfect and provide entirely superior food that can be tweaked to the user's wishes. A early 21st century human tasting replicated food would be blown away by it since by the measure of people living in our pre-replicator world, it's objectively superior. But for people who grew up with them? To them the perfection has grown samey, and there's a huge mental or emotional aspect as well. They're snobs, they're hipsters, purists, whatever you want to call them. "Real" food tastes better simply because it's different to them and they've decided because "real" food is more rare and hand made it's obviously better. It's entirely in their heads.

Synthohol is probably fully bullshit though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evek posted:

Here's to the last episode of Season 1 being a clip episode.

First episode

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

First episode

The whole season is a paper-thin framing device wrapped around footage from earlier shows and films, cut footage, and CGI manipulations of old footage, etc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

First episode

You joke, but the Clerks Animated Series did a clip show for the 2nd episode ever and it was great.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WampaLord posted:

You joke, but the Clerks Animated Series did a clip show for the 2nd episode ever and it was great.

Beat me to it. The great thing was that it was broadcast, but the episode they were clipping from never was, making it even loonier during that glorious two-week first run.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

Beat me to it. The great thing was that it was broadcast, but the episode they were clipping from never was, making it even loonier during that glorious two-week first run.

Ah yeah. Community did an episode where they did a clip show from non-existent episodes, albiet a lot later in the show.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Watching 'The Changeling' I'm starting to seriously question Kirk's competence or his concern for his crew or both.

The Nomad probe only listens to Kirk because it thinks he's its creator, and the last two times he left Nomad alone it started killing people and wandering about the ship causing havoc. Okay maybe the second time is a Mulligan, Kirk, but why are you leaving it alone with some redshirts a third time?

Aaaaaand they're dead too. Should be an interesting letter to their families.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

The whole season is a paper-thin framing device wrapped around footage from earlier shows and films, cut footage, and CGI manipulations of old footage, etc.

Episode 1

"Guardian of Forever, why is our trek through the stars so important?"

BEHOLD, a visual representation of captain's logs from your future!

Series Finale

"Why have we been spending almost a third of our time watching some crew bumble around the Delta Quadrant?"

SILENCE! Neelix is telling a joke.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Doggles posted:

Episode 1

"Guardian of Forever, why is our trek through the stars so important?"

BEHOLD, a visual representation of captain's logs from your future!

Series Finale

"Why have we been spending almost a third of our time watching some crew bumble around the Delta Quadrant?"

SILENCE! Neelix is telling a joke.

Hahaha it's like Ireland but on the holodeck! I love it!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When I was a kid I hated Lwaxana episodes but as an adult I really like them.

I think "The Forsaken" is my favorite.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
While I remain optimistic about Discovery (because why not?) it's starting to remind me a little of Michael Ironside's ICE PLANET, a planned TV series that never made it. In the end it seems to have emerged as some kind of half-episode, half-documentary about it all falling apart.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2805062/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kind of a decent summery of the issues with Discovery

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-gently caress-is-going-on-with-star-trek-discovery-1794639961

I wonder how much money they offered Dorn?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Quark's bar makes sense to me even aside from money he can make on the gambling and holosuites. When you go to a bar IRL you're getting a huge markup on the drinks but you're going for the ~experience~, you know, to be in the public space and bask in all of it's bar-ness.

I have some introvert friends who love bars because they get all the social interaction they want by sitting there and soaking up people rays or something. (Paradoxically as an extravert to me hanging out in a bar for hours sounds boring af.)

As for Garak, he probably is something of a fashion consultant as well. All the perfectly fitting replicated clothes in the world can't make you look good if you have poo poo taste. Not to mention if you go to a physical retail location it can be fun to see things you didn't know you wanted. So he too sells an experience.

Somehow this can be tied into how business in real life will survive in the shadow of Amazon.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Xibanya posted:

As for Garak, he probably is something of a fashion consultant as well. All the perfectly fitting replicated clothes in the world can't make you look good if you have poo poo taste. Not to mention if you go to a physical retail location it can be fun to see things you didn't know you wanted. So he too sells an experience.

Somehow this can be tied into how business in real life will survive in the shadow of Amazon.

I feel like all the aliens look down on humans for their naive fashion sense. Except for the ferengi who have no room to talk.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

vermin posted:

I feel like all the aliens look down on humans for their naive fashion sense.

They're not wrong.

It always seems like in sci fi it's assumed that fashion in the future will become simpler and more practical. If anything it should involve the impractical complexity of your average final fantasy character's costume. Imagine what designs would be popular if a designer can go straight from sketch to finished outfit in a moment's time. In other words, what Jake needs is more buckles. Lots more buckles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

what Jake needs is more buckles. Lots more buckles.

And pouches.

And pouldrons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xibanya posted:

They're not wrong.

It always seems like in sci fi it's assumed that fashion in the future will become simpler and more practical. If anything it should involve the impractical complexity of your average final fantasy character's costume. Imagine what designs would be popular if a designer can go straight from sketch to finished outfit in a moment's time. In other words, what Jake needs is more buckles. Lots more buckles.

Hunger games got it right.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

The Bloop posted:

And pouches.

And pouldrons.

poo poo yes. And one pant leg shorter than the other and some more eyeshadow.

Guinan's outfit was p cool. Love me some flowing robes and impractical poo poo. Star Wars had the right idea about fashion at the very least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If your answer to post-scarcity is not "Let's wear the dumbest poo poo we can come up with" I don't want to know you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The canonical reason for "why doesn't Picard get his baldness cured with super future technology" is because by that point, society has advanced beyond caring about superficial things like baldness. Which I guess also means they've evolved beyond having any kind of taste in fashion.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
After WW3 all textile plants were destroyed, all fabric was either radiated or completely ruined. The only exception being a large storage warehouse of old couches and window curtains. Since then all clothing have been modeled after the upholstery found in that one place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Burning_Monk posted:

After WW3 all textile plants were destroyed, all fabric was either radiated or completely ruined. The only exception being a large storage warehouse of old couches and window curtains. Since then all clothing have been modeled after the upholstery found in that one place.

The survivors clothed themselves in bus seats and we never moved past it.

The Ferengi had taste. Of course, I think it's gaudy as hell, but they looked like they had personal styles and a variety of options. Quark and his waistcoats seemed like something an actual person would wear.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Pakled posted:

The canonical reason for "why doesn't Picard get his baldness cured with super future technology" is because by that point, society has advanced beyond caring about superficial things like baldness. Which I guess also means they've evolved beyond having any kind of taste in fashion.

Which is too bad because the explanation works if we say it's no longer stigmatized and Picard doesn't give a poo poo, which makes sense for his character but some people might get a futuristic cure for their baldness because they wanna have a space Mohawk or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Picard has lots of hair.

It's just not on his head.