Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the FZ 07 is also brain-bendingly fast and will pull hard in 6th. it's pretty tame overall though. I've given it 100% throttle a couple times when I was in the wrong gear on the freeway and too lazy to downshift but other than that it's way faster than normal street riding ever requires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Marine grade vinyl. It's a lot more water resistant that regular upholstery vinyl, and resists tearing better. There are some good YouTube tutorials on it. You'll need a staple gun as well. I've done it with excellent results.

This ended up being hard as gently caress because my stapler wouldn't fit in the tight spots. I did find marine grade vinyl for 10 bucks and some Bobby Joe to do it for me for $20 with surprisingly good results.

Thanks for the tips, y'all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Bleed both of the banjos.

:banjo:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

I figured out why my old motorcycle cover smelled like cat piss.

It is cat piss.

Apparently there are some stray cats or people with unfixed male cats living near by that lets the cats roam outside in the middle of the city..

Now my new cover that's been used for like month also smells like cat piss.

I would assume that I can't do poo poo about it and just relegate that cover to forever live in the back yard?

Piss on it yourself to assert dominance.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

the FZ 07 is also brain-bendingly fast

Your brain may need some reinforcement, maybe a gusset plate or two, if that's bending it.

(I kid of course, that is indeed faster than like 98% of vehicles on the road, but the bike world is so weird now that those sort of power figures - decent for a supersport bike when I started riding - put it towards the top end of "learner-friendly" category in the modern landscape)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's sv650 territory. So, "quick, not insanely quick, but quick"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

haha I knew I would get poo poo for that. But I'm still in the "my ND miata is extremely fast" territory so I will just accept that I have a lower threshold for speed than ya'll. Doesn't help that I live in a very congested metro area

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every motorcycle is insanely fast

we live in a stupid time when people look at cars and go "yeah, 350 horsepower is okay, but this other family sedan has 450 and that's really what you need to keep up on the highway"

or "yeah, this motorcycle goes 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds, but you need to shift to second to hit 70mph, so that's not that fast"

it's a peculiarly north american conceit

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sagebrush posted:

every motorcycle is insanely fast

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Still faster than a klr650.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
66whp on something that's just under 400lbs is pretty decent.

My first bike was a ninja 650 and when I got it I was like whoa this thing is so fast I'll never outgrow it! At the time it was like 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and a high 12s quarter mile.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I rode one of these up the hills yesterday and despite dragging pegs constantly i still had cars pulling over.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had been spending some time considering the idea of trading my 09 for an 07—I'm sure there are dudes around that would be happy to do an even trade as long as everything is in good shape—or possibly for something like this perfect DR-Z400SM that someone nearby was offering on Craigslist with the explanation that he wanted a faster bike, but every time I get on the highway or find a stretch of road with no intersections I find the idea of giving up such easy and plentiful power just a bit sad. I took the highway for a couple exits on the way back from the bank just now, and traffic was a bit dense so I just left it in 3rd gear; you can just instantly pass someone the second a gap opens up. It's too fun to give up. So it's a bit unwieldy in traffic: that's an acceptable sacrifice to me for seeing the stars in the viewscreen stretch toward me when I say "make it so."

I guess the solution is to get a DRZ sumo for commuting and use my 09 for longer trips.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
That's my problem with the DRZ. It's slow on the highway and I live in boring middle of nowhere, so it's a 30min jaunt to get anywhere interesting. Even on the DRZ, that's not pleasant, and I've been wanting something more modern (that FCR carb + Single Cylinder makes for a really cold-blooded monster) and not so strung-out on the highway.

So I was stupid and went and bought a Grom for my around-the-town bullshitting and I find myself riding it like 80% of the time now cause it's hilarious while still wanting something I can leave town and eventually travel with.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Every time I've gotten off the FZ09, I feel tired and motion sick, and really happy to get back on my sumo. It's come to where I swap bikes just to gift my buddy time with the sumo, rather than wanting to ride the 09.

captainOrbital posted:

I had been spending some time considering the idea of trading my 09 for an 07—I'm sure there are dudes around that would be happy to do an even trade as long as everything is in good shape—or possibly for something like this perfect DR-Z400SM that someone nearby was offering on Craigslist with the explanation that he wanted a faster bike, but every time I get on the highway or find a stretch of road with no intersections I find the idea of giving up such easy and plentiful power just a bit sad. I took the highway for a couple exits on the way back from the bank just now, and traffic was a bit dense so I just left it in 3rd gear; you can just instantly pass someone the second a gap opens up. It's too fun to give up. So it's a bit unwieldy in traffic: that's an acceptable sacrifice to me for seeing the stars in the viewscreen stretch toward me when I say "make it so."

I guess the solution is to get a DRZ sumo for commuting and use my 09 for longer trips.

My man, have you heard of SMC?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

robotsinmyhead posted:

That's my problem with the DRZ. It's slow on the highway and I live in boring middle of nowhere, so it's a 30min jaunt to get anywhere interesting. Even on the DRZ, that's not pleasant, and I've been wanting something more modern (that FCR carb + Single Cylinder makes for a really cold-blooded monster) and not so strung-out on the highway.

So I was stupid and went and bought a Grom for my around-the-town bullshitting and I find myself riding it like 80% of the time now cause it's hilarious while still wanting something I can leave town and eventually travel with.

Well if you already have a good in-traffic bike, you may want to consider the 09 for a longer-distance thing. Not that the 07 would be out of breath on the highways at all, but open roads are more where the 09 will shine. And there's also the FJ-09, which has the same great triple but is ready-set for touring.

Coydog posted:

My man, have you heard of SMC?

Well I should consider a 701.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Carpeted the area I park the bike with
It's under an overhang so it shouldn't be washed away so fast.

Washed the cover in a bucket with warm water and vinegar, then another round with some of the anti-cat powder + warm water.

Now my cover smells like lavender oil(think sharp citrusy herbs and garlic) + I can touch it without feeling icky.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Katter hater lavendel og rosmarin.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Hey! You never let us (me) know how that 15T front sprocket is working out! Can it still pull on the highway?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slide Hammer posted:

Hey! You never let us (me) know how that 15T front sprocket is working out! Can it still pull on the highway?

Kinda. I have to lay down to hold speed up some of the bigger hills around here but I had to do that with the stock sprocket anyway and I can cruise along at 55 without feeling like the engine is going to buzz itself apart.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If I had to describe one bike as "not fast," it would be the GZ250. Hands down.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My 88' KZ250 had a top speed of about 67 mph. It was a fun little bike though that got insane gas mileage.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Kinda. I have to lay down to hold speed up some of the bigger hills around here but I had to do that with the stock sprocket anyway and I can cruise along at 55 without feeling like the engine is going to buzz itself apart.

Thanks. If the drop in acceleration isn't too bad I might try it when I replace my chain soon. (There's that big valley from around 48 - 57 where you're not in the powerband and it takes, like 10 seconds to get any kind of appreciable power again)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cursedshitbox posted:

Still faster than a klr650.
Seriously, I rode one of these today. Christ they're unappealing. No power, sounds like poo poo, topheavy. How do they sell so well?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think the KLR sells because it's a known entity, and there is this huge aura around it being this post apocolypse magic bullet. Also, it's for a different breed of riders who somehow like to ride but don't give a gently caress about their bike.

My KLR was hands down the worst bike I've ever owned or ridden, and I was desperate for ANY bike when I got it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seriously, I rode one of these today. Christ they're unappealing. No power, sounds like poo poo, topheavy. How do they sell so well?

Their size and stature combined with their internet cred and low prices make them seem like amazing value.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I think the KLR sells because it's a known entity, and there is this huge aura around it being this post apocolypse magic bullet. Also, it's for a different breed of riders who somehow like to ride but don't give a gently caress about their bike.

My KLR was hands down the worst bike I've ever owned or ridden, and I was desperate for ANY bike when I got it.

I'll second this. A friend of mine bought one new last year against my recommendations, and has put around 16 thousand miles on it already and loves the loving poo poo out of it. Beats me dude.

I had one for about a year and it was the worst dualsport i'd ever ridden.

But I did beat the gently caress out of it. eventually we tried to kill each other and it lost.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're like the F150 or Z71 or motorcycles.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

They're like the F150 or Z71 or motorcycles.

What is the El Camino of motorcycles? I want that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

What is the El Camino of motorcycles? I want that.

You already own a ZRX.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You already own a ZRX.

Awesome :cool:

I'm going to have to buy a 4 wheeled vehicle soon. :sigh: I don't want a full size pickup truck, but I'm not sure an El Camino or Ranchero is really practical for carrying motorcycles, which is a must. What say you, Cycle Asylum?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2wd ranger

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Awesome :cool:

I'm going to have to buy a 4 wheeled vehicle soon. :sigh: I don't want a full size pickup truck, but I'm not sure an El Camino or Ranchero is really practical for carrying motorcycles, which is a must. What say you, Cycle Asylum?

Get someone to ship you a Transit piece by piece to avoid the chicken tax and you can tell people about your AWESOME EUROPEAN DOMESTIC MARKET vehicle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

2wd ranger

Definitely considering that if I can't swing an El Camino. I'm also favoring a cute little Datsun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How has nobody said hilux? Don't get some american trash, get a vehicle actually designed to do work.

Comedy option: rapevan.

Also twisto holy christ, what limey oval office did you gently caress off this time?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Also twisto holy christ, what limey oval office did you gently caress off this time?

Some anonymous genius has been buying strange alternate-universe BRCTs for people in the UK Megathread in D&D, calling out people with terrible opinions about wallpaper, spaghetti bolognese recipes using pepperami instead of beef, and lots and lots of imported drama from the S Club 7 megathread. I happened to mention how much I liked their work, because I could imagine they were leaking through from another, happier reality where arguments about Paul Cattermole were the most emotive and pressing issues in UK and world politics, and that turned up. It's the proudest moment in my long and distinguished posting career.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

S Club 7 megathread.

Why is this something that even exists in loving 2017 :psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Why is this something that even exists in loving 2017 :psyduck:

It isn't, that's the joke.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

How has nobody said hilux? Don't get some american trash, get a vehicle actually designed to do work.

Comedy option: rapevan.

We don't get the Hilux, we get the slightly different Tacoma, and it costs drat near as much as a full-sized pickup. Resale value is ridiculously good too, so finding decent a deal on used examples in good shape is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How different is a first gen Dr 650 from a klr? I owned and loved a kick start Dr and always thought the klr would be a more common replacement.