Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Also this thread was created because the other GW threads were all hugboxes where dissenting opinions about GW were not tolerated. It's amazing to think that now the only thread where actual honest discussion about GW and its products was permitted is supposedly the hugbox.

Actually this thread was created because the OP of the last thread pussied out and closed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

if someone doesnt like a thing that you do, it doesnt necessarily mean they dont like you as well. hth the next time you get all weirdly obsessive about attacking a company you never intend to buy things from

Wait... this is unironic posting??? :confused:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

TKIY posted:

Actually this thread was created because the OP of the last thread pussied out and closed it.

Nah, last death thread was closed because of Rogue One spoilers. You might be thinking of the last incarnation of the AoS thread.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ijyt posted:

if someone doesnt like a thing that you do, it doesnt necessarily mean they dont like you as well. hth the next time you get all weirdly obsessive about attacking a company you never intend to buy things from

i bought space hulk 3 back in november 2015 and spire of dawn a few months ago so i dunno what point youre trying to make. i suspect you dont either :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

For_Great_Justice posted:

I've never understood getting defensive about brands etc. Not like they care.

some people take criticism of things they like as personal criticism

its really strange behavior but w/e

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

:drat:

I am nominating this for burn of the year

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've been in the position of Liking The Bad Thing as far as the Goon Hivemind is concerned, so on the surface I have some sympathy for the GW fans. The difference, as far as I can tell, is that I can recognize that just because I enjoy parts of something doesn't mean there aren't other parts of it worthy of criticism. So, e.g., someone can say 'Man, D&D 3.5 needed some work to fix the caster supremacy' and I'll go 'Yup, it sure did' even though I have quite positive memories of 3.5 on the whole. I might even-- and this is really going to shock you-- refuse to buy into the new edition of D&D despite Wizards' best marketing tactics, because I recognize that there are objectively suboptimal things about the product that they ought to fix if they want my money.

In fact all (well, most) of us have something that we've enjoyed at some point in the past about GW properties, whether it's skellingtons or homoerotic supermen, or else we wouldn't be here in the first place. There might be a few people who were never invested in anything GW at all and just came in here to laugh at the whales, but I'd think that's the exception rather than the rule.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Here's the thing though, I've been reading GW threads on here since the original What Is Ultramarine one in GBS, and none of them have ever had a problem with people criticising GW or discussing it's games. The idea that this thread needed to exist as some sort of bastion of reason and persecuted objectivity is just revisionist bullshit from people who are being fundamentally dishonest about the downright spiteful manner in which they conveyed their criticisms, and why that caused them to be ill-received.

People had to come to the Death Thread as a refuge because they could not cope with the idea that other people disagreed with them and enjoyed something they didn't.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 25, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There must always be a Death Thread, for if there was not one, man would create it.

In the name of Kirby, Amen.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

There must always be a Death Thread, for if there was not one, man would create it.

In the name of Kirby, Amen.

'Now I am become Death Thread, the destroyer of reasoned discourse.'

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

People had to come to the Death Thread as a refuge because they could not cope with the idea that other people disagreed with them and enjoyed something they didn't.

Wrong. You dumb.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Plenty of people from this very thread have said good things about GW. In fact, a bunch of people really liked the new steampunk dorfs. (I think they're pretty bad.) Basically everyone liked the new skellies, although I'm not convinced GW will sell them for a price I think is reasonable. Even SW:A has some big positives (mainly that it's an easier entry into 40k and gives people a reason to branch out into other armies), though folks were disappointed that the rules are basically just Necromunda - a 20 year-old ruleset - and that they didn't make new Clan Escher models.

GW offering store credit for people who bought soon-to-be-obsolete books is decent of them, but they could have done better, e.g. by giving more notice that Codices would be obsolete or perhaps saying 6 months ago that anyone buying a Codex would get a coupon for the 8th ed version. It's not like they'd be selling a lot of 7th ed Codices after 8th drops, so they might as well try to offload as many of them as possible with a "sale".

I'm probably one of the more-critical people when it comes to GW's models, but I'm totally willing to agree to disagree on that. I'm just not a fan of heroic proportions, and most of their range isn't what I'm looking for these days. (I like most of Dark Age's newer sculpts and a bunch of the CMoN board game figures. Infinity has some cool models but I'm not really into the anime aesthetic or the misogyny.) That said, GW plastics are generally easy to work with, and they're a whole hell of a lot nicer-looking than Mantic figures (but that's not saying much).

While it's funny when GW fucks up epically (the joke rules for legacy armies in AoS probably take the cake for me), I'm genuinely glad that they seem to at least be making an attempt to treat their customers better. People have invested a lot into their products, and they should get a quality product in return. I'll forever remain mystified how people have stuck with GW continuously through the past decade or so, but I also get that people have different priorities and levels of tolerance for problems in their hobbies. I'll probably never buy GW stuff again (barring the occasional mini if they make something I really like), but that has less to do with them being a bad company and more to do with the fact that my tastes in tabletop games have changed a lot since I gave up on 40k.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is only the latest iteration of the death thread. The fourth, if I recall correctly. I closed the most recent one temporarily due to rogue one spoilers, but then a new one popped up so I just left it closed.

The death thread - as a thing - was created because people who tried to post any sort of criticism in The Bad Thread got piled on.

This thread and all of its previous incarnations are The Death Thread.

e. Here's the begginning of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603841

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 25, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm just here to argue and make goons feel bad about themselves.

Isn't that all anyone really wants?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I for one like to make people feel good about themselves because I'm not a broken, miserable shell of a human being.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I just want to know how the cat is doing.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

I for one like to make people feel good about themselves because I'm not a broken, miserable shell of a human being.

Look at where you are posting and reconsider that.

We all float in reality balls down here.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I just want to know how the cat is doing.

The cat is concerned about the loss of vehicle facing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Here's the thing though, I've been reading GW threads on here since the original What Is Ultramarine one in GBS, and none of them have ever had a problem with people criticising GW or discussing it's games. The idea that this thread needed to exist as some sort of bastion of reason and persecuted objectivity is just revisionist bullshit from people who are being fundamentally dishonest about the downright spiteful manner in which they conveyed their criticisms, and why that caused them to be ill-received.

Lol

Chill la Chill posted:

Case in point, LP thinks I'm an ok person even though I like anime. I don't resent him for it and I'll post my anime stuff despite that, but I won't try and change his mind on the topic. :shrug:

I miss your old av but your new one is :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just treat the death thread as a chat thread.

Actually, I kind of treat all threads like chat threads, if im being honest

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Unit profiles of the future.

Big changes:

Movement stat is back.

WS is now a fixed 'to hit', so having a higher WS than your opponent no longer keeps you safer.

Initiative is gone. Charging units go first. Combined with the WS changes, Dark Eldar weep bitter tears.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i bought space hulk 3 back in november 2015 and spire of dawn a few months ago so i dunno what point youre trying to make. i suspect you dont either :shrug:

That's a mirror.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

Big changes:

Movement stat is back.

WS is now a fixed 'to hit', so having a higher WS than your opponent no longer keeps you safer.

Initiative is gone. Charging units go first. Combined with the WS changes, Dark Eldar weep bitter tears.

My biggest complaint about Age of Sigmar is the close combat order thing is poo poo. So, good job GW?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Xarbala posted:

I just treat the death thread as a chat thread.

Actually, I kind of treat all threads like chat threads, if im being honest

Same

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Clawtopsy posted:

Big changes:

Movement stat is back.

having a higher WS in 40k only mattered if your WS was more than double the opponent's, which almost never happened since at a minimum, it'd require you having WS 7 against the weak stuff and WS 9 against the majority of the game's units. I don't think the Dark Eldar have anything in that boat

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Interesting that they seem to have set 6" as the base movement. I sort of expected it to revert to 4" like before, but this will be better as everyone is used to a 6" base move. It also gives them more range downward, with the old movement it was hard to make something slower without almost crippling it.

Canning vehicle stats is also interesting. I guess it will make comparison and balancing easier, as well as streamlining away from a separate process for them. I wonder if they'll get something like the monster stats in AOS, dropping as they take wounds.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

Interesting that they seem to have set 6" as the base movement. I sort of expected it to revert to 4" like before, but this will be better as everyone is used to a 6" base move. It also gives them more range downward, with the old movement it was hard to make something slower without almost crippling it.

Canning vehicle stats is also interesting. I guess it will make comparison and balancing easier, as well as streamlining away from a separate process for them. I wonder if they'll get something like the monster stats in AOS, dropping as they take wounds.

Yeah I like movement as a way to add another balance dimension to units. Could be a big boost for Tyranids, who lack transports.

They said in their video on Monday that vehicles may lose stats/effectiveness as they take wounds.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TheChirurgeon posted:

They said in their video on Monday that vehicles may lose stats/effectiveness as they take wounds.

Monsterous creatures too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Leperfish post your Epic army tia

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
just wanna come here and :qq: about my templates, vehicle facings, and keeping track of "models with 12 wounds or more"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Leperfish post your Epic army tia

I purchased other people's used armies. So I have a lot. It's eldar. Most of it is badly painted by other people. Just imagine like 20k points of epic eldar sorted into plastic bins and you'll have a decent idea.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

just wanna come here and :qq: about my templates, vehicle facings, and keeping track of "models with 12 wounds or more"

:same:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I like the death thread because it reminds me how miserable my life would be without GW's premium products.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

having a higher WS in 40k only mattered if your WS was more than double the opponent's, which almost never happened since at a minimum, it'd require you having WS 7 against the weak stuff and WS 9 against the majority of the game's units. I don't think the Dark Eldar have anything in that boat

WS7 was the minimum for most their HQ options, with the potential to reach 9-10 with drugs on some.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, high movement was one of the ways that Tyranids (and originally, Eldar) got by without transports. When they switched they gave Fleet to a number of creatures, but it didn't really help for those that had had higher than base movement but didn't get access to the rule, which I think was a lot of their larger creatures? It also gives you a little more granularity to work with, and gives you some more dependability - it always sucked to Fleet and then get a lovely roll for your movement. Much better to just have a flat 7" mv or whatever.

Yeast posted:

Monsterous creatures too.
I think this is maybe the only thing in the AOS rules that I actually liked, and it would be good across the board. Having monstrous creatures run at full power until they died was kind of an issue (one of the ways Wraithlords beat out dreadnoughts) and along with basically giving them and vehicles the same statline it will be good for some consistency and make comparisons a lot easier between units and armies.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Getting rid of AV for wounds seems cool and good. I wonder what Grav weapons are going to look like in the new edition.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Clawtopsy posted:

WS7 was the minimum for most their HQ options, with the potential to reach 9-10 with drugs on some.

Ah, interesting. I forgot about the combat drug effects. On the plus side, those units may be able to hit on a 2+ now (instead of a 3+). The loss of initiative is a much bigger deal, I think. Interested to see how they get around that

Clawtopsy posted:

Getting rid of AV for wounds seems cool and good. I wonder what Grav weapons are going to look like in the new edition.

Yeah I'm not wild about the prospect of tracking damage on models with 12+ wounds, but I like removing the distinction between vehicles and MCs. The biggest problem with vehicles in 40k is how easy it is to render them useless, either with a 1-shot kill or by stunning them multiple turns in a row.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 26, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I like movement as a way to add another balance dimension to units. Could be a big boost for Tyranids, who lack transports.

It makes a lot of sense if one of their design goals is the game playing faster. If it takes six turns to get to grips with the enemy, moving all those models makes the game drag a bit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hixson posted:

I like the death thread because it reminds me how miserable my life would be without GW's premium products.

I wish I could live so free of pain. You're a bless soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Honestly this thread is at its best and least biased when it is talking about game mechanics and dissecting financial reports.

• Locked thread