Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have literally no idea about the PVP "meta" or what's considered "fair", I just go into undead matches and hurl Chaos Bed Vestiges at people and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Someone had asked to see what someone really good at Dark Souls 3 looks like on Gael, and I just found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9Bo1RcOTQ

Also saw someone killing him with his own lightning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jordbo posted:

there are awesome pvp weapons in almost every weapon class, and unless you're going for the incredibly boring "have to win at all cost" mentality there are few weapons that are actually bad for killing peopl

the ""pvp weapon tier"" list mostly matters in 1v1 hornorable dueels which is the worst kind of pvp

1v1 duels is actually where weapon tiers matter the least. Its the closest thing to a fair and balanced matchup. So you can win with basically anything if your skill is that much greater than your opponents. It just takes a lot more work to win with some weapons versus others.

Invasions are a completely different story. There you are fighting at a disadvantage and have to expect to face multiple phantoms. Making an invasion build without some kind of broad sweeping weapon is asking for trouble as you need to be able to hit multiple people at once.

Its a lot easier for a suboptimal build to consistently win duels than invasions. Not that its impossible to win invasions with mediocre weapons but you'll get a lot of R1 straight sword stunlock followed by YOU DIED.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Maleh-Vor posted:

Someone had asked to see what someone really good at Dark Souls 3 looks like on Gael, and I just found this video:

So... at the risk of asking an incredibly boneheaded question: why wasn't the dude two-handing his weapon? I mean, obviously I'm missing something because he's like a million times better than I could ever dream of being, so he's obviously got a good reason for just using it in one hand... I just don't know what it is.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Time_pants posted:

So... at the risk of asking an incredibly boneheaded question: why wasn't the dude two-handing his weapon? I mean, obviously I'm missing something because he's like a million times better than I could ever dream of being, so he's obviously got a good reason for just using it in one hand... I just don't know what it is.

Because it's faster animating and costs less stamina.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Time_pants posted:

at sl1 the boost will be insignificant from a damage output perspective, and he probably prefers the moveset.

e: ^^^Also that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Time_pants posted:

I forget what the infusion symbol means. But if it's raw or one that removes scaling entirely there's probably not much of a reason to two-hand your weapon as all two-handing does is boost your strength (and obviously change the moveset). If a weapon doesn't have STR scaling or has very low STR scaling there's no reason to go two-handed unless you want the moveset. (And the straight sword one-handed moveset is better as far as I'm concerned. It's faster too and uses less stamina.)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Time_pants posted:

It's a raw weapon, so there's no bonus strength from two-handing it, and the one-handed R1s are faster.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
iirc twohanding does slightly more damage independant of STR, so if a weapon has no STR scaling it'll still be a lil bit stronger 2H

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay, but... someone please explain to me why he wasn't two-handing it :confused:

Maleh-Vor posted:

Such a nice, clean kill. What an amazing fight, I love everything about it :kimchi:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jordbo posted:

there are awesome pvp weapons in almost every weapon class, and unless you're going for the incredibly boring "have to win at all cost" mentality there are few weapons that are actually bad for killing people

the ""pvp weapon tier"" list mostly matters in 1v1 hornorable dueels which is the worst kind of pvp

3v3 clusterfucks are fun if you can find the people

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

1v1 duels is actually where weapon tiers matter the least. Its the closest thing to a fair and balanced matchup. So you can win with basically anything if your skill is that much greater than your opponents. It just takes a lot more work to win with some weapons versus others.

Invasions are a completely different story. There you are fighting at a disadvantage and have to expect to face multiple phantoms. Making an invasion build without some kind of broad sweeping weapon is asking for trouble as you need to be able to hit multiple people at once.

Its a lot easier for a suboptimal build to consistently win duels than invasions. Not that its impossible to win invasions with mediocre weapons but you'll get a lot of R1 straight sword stunlock followed by YOU DIED.

i totally agree skill matters the most, and you can definitely pick any weapon you like using and win a majority of fights

i was thinking of arena pvp where people mostly know what they're doing (which means meta weapons always trump fun weapons) vs random invasions where the chaos and dirty tricks mean you don't need instant huge damage to win. But yeah, you have a good point in that being outnumbered by people with meta weapons is super bad even if they're kinda clueless to pvp

edit: ^^^ YES! the more clusterfucky the better, even ganks are great unless i lose

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

3v3 clusterfucks are fun if you can find the people

tfw you jolly co-operate

with another invader

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maleh-Vor posted:

That is the best gael fight video I've seen. It's the most concise despite being ng+7 and does a great job of showing off Gael's attacks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think some of the dodges performed in that video work without the bloodring though. At least I could never manage to dodge his crossbow close range despite doing that exact roll.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Maleh-Vor posted:

Same guy also has this one which is a full minute faster (linked in the description too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8qqPdQpx1Q
guess once you never get hit anyway might as well go for broke

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 25, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wait does using a weapon 2h only make it do extra damage from strength? Man powerstancing is another thing they hosed up in this game from 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Master of Rings require you to have ALL versions of the rings in your inventory to unlock?
Like... if I've been selling my +0 rings on an NG+2 playthrough, am I hosed?? :chloe:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Master of Rings require you to have ALL versions of the rings in your inventory to unlock?
Like... if I've been selling my +0 rings on an NG+2 playthrough, am I hosed?? :chloe:

Yes. Have fun getting them all again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress my life

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Man powerstancing is another thing they hosed up in this game from 2

I was gonna say, this talk about one-hand/two-hand is making me angry again that they removed* powerstancing :arghfist::smith:

There are next to no cool/useful off-hands in this game so if you decide to go shieldless you'll either have to two-hand or carry around something useless in your off-hand. I've said it a million times, but my most fun Souls run was probably in DS2 where I powerstanced an Espada Ropera in my main hand and a Warped Sword in my left hand. Pokes on R1/R2, slash on L1, parry with L2. Incredibly versatile and stylish!

*didn't implement

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It wouldn't be so bad if offhanded weapons retained their moveset but instead you get one move and a block most of the time. Yes, I totally want to block with a dagger. I'm sure that will be useful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if offhanded weapons retained their moveset but instead you get one move and a block most of the time. Yes, I totally want to block with a dagger. I'm sure that will be useful.

What's even more bizarre is that just a couple of weapons retain their movesets. The Painting Guardian's Curved Sword for instance will get a parry and an R1, but the Carthus Curved Sword will get a block.

It's probably the dumbest thing in DS3.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Your Computer posted:

What's even more bizarre is that just a couple of weapons retain their movesets. The Painting Guardian's Curved Sword for instance will get a parry and an R1, but the Carthus Curved Sword will get a block.

It's probably the dumbest thing in DS3.

The dumbest one is that the Parrying Dagger gets parry and block. Why would you ever use the parrying dagger over a small shield if not to be able to stab and parry at the same time? With the nerf to fist weapon offhands I think the best offhand weapon is probably the rapier, because it gets a good quick r1 style poke and decent parry, both of which are excellent supplementary actions.

:edit:

Actually the one cool thing you can do with the parrying dagger is to use it in the main hand with a weapon art shield. Then you can get a really good parry with your right hand while using a heavy shield.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

The dumbest one is that the Parrying Dagger gets parry and block.

:psyboom:

Miyazaki was a mistake.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think some of the dodges performed in that video work without the bloodring though. At least I could never manage to dodge his crossbow close range despite doing that exact roll.

Bloodring is low key the best ring in the game, isn't it

At least for PvE. With a lot of enemies, especially bosses, the challenge is based heavily on super tight frame counts, to kill you if you lose your nerve and roll too early or try to mash out of a combo. I noticed this against Nameless King in particular, he just gets a poo poo ton easier if he can't frame trap you and you don't have to try to remember "oh if i gently caress this one thing up i have to suppress my instinct to start hittin buttons or i die"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a weird popular non-velka lore trend I really don't get. Why can't characters in this game just be characters. Everyone seems hellbent on forcing Rosaria, Yorshka, the painter and basically any one with a name but no face to secretly be Priscilla or Gwynevere for no particular reason.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Powerstancing is dumb

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

At least for PvE. With a lot of enemies, especially bosses, the challenge is based heavily on super tight frame counts, to kill you if you lose your nerve and roll too early or try to mash out of a combo. I noticed this against Nameless King in particular, he just gets a poo poo ton easier if he can't frame trap you and you don't have to try to remember "oh if i gently caress this one thing up i have to suppress my instinct to start hittin buttons or i die"
It's funny you should mention that, I was gonna say exactly the same thing :haw: On my last playthrough I kept getting poo poo on by ol' NK because all his attacks one-shot me, so I figured for shits and giggles I'd go Flynn's + Bloodring since my armor wasn't doing me any good anyway and it surprised me how lenient the iframes were, I dodged through so much stuff I had no business iframing and it made the boss way easier.

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird popular non-velka lore trend I really don't get. Why can't characters in this game just be characters. Everyone seems hellbent on forcing Rosaria, Yorshka, the painter and basically any one with a name but no face to secretly be Priscilla or Gwynevere for no particular reason.
Because these people are ridiculously obsessed with DS1 and everything has to be connected to it. Priscilla, Gwynevere and Solaire are the big ones since fans obsessed over them (see: waifu) and DS3 doesn't pander to those obsessions.

But hey, at least we got a sick burn in one of the DLC2 spells so I'm happy :v:

quote:

Even those who had forgotten the caress and bounty of the Princess of Sunlight did their best to recall her image. The stories spun about her were most certainly childish, and yet gravely sincere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

RoadCrewWorker posted:

(doing their kinda cringy in-character youtube thing)

Sorry, actually, Edwad Emberpants owns bones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes. Have fun getting them all again.
time 2 bust out steam achievement manager :henget:

swamp waste posted:

it was high key the best ring in the game before they nerfed it this last patch

now you take about 25% more damage from everything while wearing it, which is debatable but still good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

time 2 bust out steam achievement manager :henget:

I'm on PS4 😭😭

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Gologle posted:

Sorry, actually, Edwad Emberpants owns bones.
I dig (most of) it but it's definitely a kind of acquired internet humor taste

it helps they have a really good editor

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if there's one thing princess gwynevere is known for, it's her enormous heaving bounty

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Anyone miss DS2's incredibly slow greatsword/UGS parries?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I'm on PS4 😭😭

I can drop you the +zeros from my all achievements char

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Why is this achievement not called Lord of the Rings?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Are those Red Tearstone+Morion's Blade builds good for anything except for super gimmicky PvP? It seems like there's just too much that can go wrong or catch you off-guard to make the reward match the risk. Am I just not thinking with portals?

a fun gimmick is staying low-level and rushing to two-hand Morne's Hammer with those two items and using tears of denial with it. Early-game you'll be able to kill people with just one L2. I believe the damage also scales with your strength as well so it's pretty good damage wise until people start carrying spiked armor or just roll out of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hanales posted:

I can drop you the +zeros from my all achievements char

Thanks but it's a lost cause at this stage, I was selling the +1s as well :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thanks but it's a lost cause at this stage, I was selling the +1s as well :cripes:

Time to learn how to speed-treasure-run