Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

everyone does this. you won't need anything besides a modern browser. big screen is helpful

i just hate flying with no info. im an obsessive preparer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Compensation is at $200K OTE, with a 75/25 or 80/20 split with base.

quote:

an award winning opensource technology company focusing on both integration and cloud services for fortune 500 companies. You will work with an stablished pre-sales team to deliver middleware solutions architecture for their top Financial Services clients in the Greater NYC area.

How about no.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

i just hate flying with no info. im an obsessive preparer.

Get a second computer where you can secretly look up all your dumb questions.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm getting supergood at sql because that's what I do at my job all day basically. At least databases won't be one of those topics that I have to pretend to have a clue about anymore.

sql owns, it's the one language you'll never regret knowing

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sql owns, it's the one language you'll never regret knowing

Not only does it own, but it naturally translates into a lot of the operations done in big data stacks (and obviously a lot have SQL bindings or straight up use SQL as their interface ala BigQuery). So if you know SQL but are tired of doing OLTP or whatever you can make the switch to a big data job fairly easily.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Work wants to send me on a 3 day reward trip to Costa Rica and I don't want to go cause my girlfriend can't get time off and even if she could I'd have to pay her way.

Whoever propagates this idea that cash rewards are inferior to visceral experiences can gently caress right off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ShadowHawk posted:

Work wants to send me on a 3 day reward trip to Costa Rica and I don't want to go cause my girlfriend can't get time off and even if she could I'd have to pay her way.

Whoever propagates this idea that cash rewards are inferior to visceral experiences can gently caress right off.

go down and get some strange on the beach

also ur girlfriend doesnt have to spend three days with you

win-win

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

go down and get some strange on the beach

also ur girlfriend doesnt have to spend three days with you

win-win

:agreed:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ADINSX posted:

Not only does it own, but it naturally translates into a lot of the operations done in big data stacks (and obviously a lot have SQL bindings or straight up use SQL as their interface ala BigQuery). So if you know SQL but are tired of doing OLTP or whatever you can make the switch to a big data job fairly easily.

the place I just started is so loving protective of their drat TSQL server it's kinda pathetic

oh don't do a query against thousands of records hourly that might stress it :ohdear:

ugh ffs we need to fix this poo poo drat

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

the place I just started is so loving protective of their drat TSQL server it's kinda pathetic

oh don't do a query against thousands of records hourly that might stress it :ohdear:

ugh ffs we need to fix this poo poo drat

IT has the same attitude here. Recently we had to write a little daemon that sits on all our database servers (we have hundreds) and queries data from some specific tables and upload to google cloud. During the monitoring someone noticed that with the daemons running, average processor load was around 20% (for everything, 20% on average for both serving requests and also whatever the daemons were doing).

He said this was "fine for now" but "wouldn't want something like this running long term". Are the databases going to get tired? Maybe we could shut them down at night so they can take a breather :ohdear:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Compensation is at $200K OTE, with a 75/25 or 80/20 split with base.

How about no.

being part of that presales team is probably pretty great though

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
poo poo, just got a 10pm email that the position I was gunning for on Thursday was filled. They'd already checked references and everything, guess they were just that desperate, or the other candidate was that much cheaper than I am?

welp, back to the struggle :banjo:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it's also possible that they previously were supposed to hire 2 but internal politics happened and that guy's budget is now for one

or any other number of ridiculous things that have nothing to do with you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sometimes even the most artisinal database gets tired

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

yeah I finagled my way on to the riak time series project and ended up doing a lot of the sql parser work, and that's why I have a 1400 page PDF of sql syntax specs still lying around

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I finagled my way on to the riak time series project and ended up doing a lot of the sql parser work, and that's why I have a 1400 page PDF of sql syntax specs still lying around

Noice. That sounds awesome, you work for Basho then? Looks like their office is in Bellevue... something to remember when I start looking for jobs again

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JewKiller 3000 posted:

It's pretty great isn't it?

sql is mostly good but I have a few beefs with it

1. it's kind of hard to think up some algorithms in terms of joins instead of imperative code. I'm way better now at it but it still gets me every now and then.

2. I wish sql would be smarter and guess more about what I want and optimize accordingly. I don't know, a lot of what I do is trial-error, and the most efficient way to do poo poo sometimes end up kind of hacky. waah waaah

here's an example:

SQL code:
SELECT butt._id,
       butt.shape,
       score,
       array_agg(keyword)
FROM butt
INNER JOIN butt_score ON butt._id = butt_score._id
INNER JOIN setting_favorite_butt_shape ON butt.shape = setting_favorite_butt_shape.shape
INNER JOIN butt_keyword ON butt._id = butt_keyword._id
WHERE butts_provider = 456
  AND score > 0
  AND setting_favorite_butt_shape.fancier_id = current_butt_fancier()
GROUP BY butt._id,
         score
ORDER BY score DESC
LIMIT 20;
this is super slow and doing it with a subquery like this was way more efficient

SQL code:
SELECT t.*,
       array_agg(keyword)
FROM
  (SELECT butt._id,
          butt.shape,
          score
   FROM butt
   INNER JOIN butt_score ON butt._id = butt_score._id
   INNER JOIN setting_favorite_butt_shape ON butt.shape = setting_favorite_butt_shape.shape
   WHERE butts_provider = 456
     AND score > 0
     AND setting_favorite_butt_shape.fancier_id = current_butt_fancier()
   ORDER BY score DESC
   LIMIT 20) t
INNER JOIN butt_keyword ON t._id = butt_keyword._id
GROUP BY t._id,
         t.shape,
         t.score;
which feels way less natural and unexpected because usually subqueries are slower than joins? :shrug:

3. btw optimization is a whole nontrivial skill, in theory indices are kind of a simple idea, but in practice it's super tricky to choose the right ones. mad respects for the good DBAs out there, I wish I worked with one instead of just flailing alone.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
but the point is that I'm way more confident at sql now, maybe I should strive for a DBA career from now on :frogc00l:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Symbolic Butt posted:

but the point is that I'm way more confident at sql now, maybe I should strive for a DBA career from now on :frogc00l:

no don't!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

it's also possible that they previously were supposed to hire 2 but internal politics happened and that guy's budget is now for one

or any other number of ridiculous things that have nothing to do with you

or maybe they found your tumblr

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ADINSX posted:

Noice. That sounds awesome, you work for Basho then? Looks like their office is in Bellevue... something to remember when I start looking for jobs again

basho's fully distributed, you can be wherever the gently caress you want

i know a C++ heavy hitter who worked for them for 6 months before getting bored and leaving

i'm guessing you want to work for them because you love erlang tho

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

its probably faster because you're calling that array_agg function less often when its being run in a subquery

functions are a cancer on query speed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the first query does array_agg on all of the inner join rows (dot product). the second essentially produces 20 rowids and calls array_agg on those

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

past-tense lol, left over a year ago, and they basically shut down completely a few weeks back

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

St Evan Echoes posted:

its probably faster because you're calling that array_agg function less often when its being run in a subquery

functions are a cancer on query speed

The Management posted:

the first query does array_agg on all of the inner join rows (dot product). the second essentially produces 20 rowids and calls array_agg on those

I see, but still... what bothers me is like... shouldn't the database know the optimal order (produce the 20 rows and then array_agg) to do it?

and why do I need to add score to the "group by" statement, shouldn't it know via the schema that there's only one score associated to each id? maybe I shoud denormalize score, gently caress

I tried for a while to write a lot of custom functions because ~encapsulation~ but eventually I learned that it messes up with the query planner so it's not worth it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I see, but still... what bothers me is like... shouldn't the database know the optimal order (produce the 20 rows and then array_agg) to do it?

and why do I need to add score to the "group by" statement, shouldn't it know via the schema that there's only one score associated to each id? maybe I shoud denormalize score, gently caress

I tried for a while to write a lot of custom functions because ~encapsulation~ but eventually I learned that it messes up with the query planner so it's not worth it

have you been running explain?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

have you been running explain?

I've been running EXPLAIN ANALYZE on your posts but I still don't know why they're so bad!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

somehow have the reputation of being good at git in my office :ohdear:

i literally used it for the first time 3 months ago lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

past-tense lol, left over a year ago, and they basically shut down completely a few weeks back

yeah basho is imploding atm, my team has a couple recent hires from there

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

short of figgies being like double, moving from nyc to south bay area would be loving stupid, yes?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

short of figgies being like double, moving from nyc to south bay area would be loving stupid, yes?

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes because the bay area is bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Diva Cupcake posted:

if you are in five figgies then yes. if you make a dece six and a half then you'll be okay.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

somehow have the reputation of being good at git in my office :ohdear:

i literally used it for the first time 3 months ago lmao

don't show any specific unique talent around the office other than "somehow always gets it done"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

power botton posted:

don't show any specific unique talent around the office other than "somehow always gets it done"

I screwed this one up at the current job; I've been tagged as the expert on about a dozen things.
:smith:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Diva Cupcake posted:

south bay is comparable to new york, only a modest figgie diff justifies the change

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

it's not as terrible as expected but i'm still noping out of that inquiry. even a 50% increase on deece 6 doesn't justify moving cross-country to live amongst the strip malls.

quote:

Sunnyvale is 64% more expensive than Hoboken.
Housing is 103% more expensive in Sunnyvale.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leper khan posted:

I screwed this one up at the current job; I've been tagged as the expert on about a dozen things.

the problem at my job is that im labelled as the expert on a million things but because im a lady people ask my opinion and then do the opposite anyway and then a month later i have to fix their mistake.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

A nice 2 bedroom in Hoboken will run you 800 to a million so its not like its affordable either. EZ commute depending on where you work in Manhattan tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

leper khan posted:

i would be this if the guy across from me wasn't a better self promoter

• Locked thread