Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The problem I have with Witcher 3's world is I never was given much reason to pay attention to the topography. So much of it just looks the same and exploring it is a bit tedious - you're not paying attention to landmarks, you're paying attention to the minimap and your quest markers. The most "exploring" I did was searching out more fast travel points, and even by the end of the game I still got lost in the city constantly because it all looked the same. Skellige was the worst for this - it's loving beautiful, but I don't remember anything about all the land I explored because it was all spent following a path from town to town.

Zelda and Horizon get it right by making the scenery varied and giving you a reason to pay attention + explore (korok seeds and shrines in Zelda, varying types of machines and how to approach them in Horizon).

All that said I loving love Witcher 3, and some of the areas in the game DO stick out in my mind (the tutorial area, the giant's island in Skellige, both expansion maps) but usually because they were more self-contained areas that used their topography better. I feel like their game design just works better with smaller, denser areas - Witcher 2 did an amazing job of making me know the maps like the back of my hand by the time I was done with them.

I generally agree. The Open World of Witcher 3 wasn't it's main selling point. It works, in some cases it works really well, but not as well as BOTW or HZD. Maybe one of the reasons that you didn't pay attention to topography in W3 is because pretty much everything is marked on your map ahead of time. So instead of like in BOTW where you look and see something cool and go "I'm going to go there and do whatever is over there" in Witcher 3 you're like Oh look some POIs gunna check those boxes real quick.

If I went and opened up BOTW's map and everything interesting was marked with a question mark and the korok seeds all had a marker on the map the game would lose a ton of its mystique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Ice Fist posted:

"I'm going to go there and do whatever is over there"

This cracks me up. IDK why. It's what I say in my head every time I see something cool. It's not really that funny. It just makes me laugh for some reason. I love knowing that all you dudes are playing the same game and seeing a lot of the cool things, probably almost always from different angles and getting there in different ways. Finding Koroks, throwing rocks on their heads, or not. Such a cool thing.

Ice Fist posted:

If I went and opened up BOTW's map and everything interesting was marked with a question mark and the korok seeds all had a marker on the map the game would lose a ton of its mystique.

All of it, one could argue. What a waste of a beautiful and gorgeous world. Sometimes I just stop and look around just because I found a great view. It's crazy that you can be impressed with a view like that when you could just as easily GIS "cool view from around the world". I dunno... But yeah, the game would just be an annoying chore of simply getting to POIs. It'd be terrible. You know, I'd bet it was a source of contention and many heated discussions during those stages of BotW's design among the creators - some thinking you should of course have a minimap, some positing to not have it at all. Thankfully turning it off as an option was the final design decision.

Welp, I guess HZD is the next game I'll dive into after I'm 'done' with BotW.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

yamdankee posted:

All of it, one could argue. What a waste of a beautiful and gorgeous world. Sometimes I just stop and look around just because I found a great view. It's crazy that you can be impressed with a view like that when you could just as easily GIS "cool view from around the world". I dunno... But yeah, the game would just be an annoying chore of simply getting to POIs. It'd be terrible. You know, I'd bet it was a source of contention and many heated discussions during those stages of BotW's design among the creators - some thinking you should of course have a minimap, some positing to not have it at all. Thankfully turning it off as an option was the final design decision.

The ability to turn off the minimap entirely is wonderful. Even with just that there were definitely situations where I'd beeline for one thing or another, but just wandering around the world and knowing there's probably something to find no matter which direction you go is great as poo poo.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

yamdankee posted:

Welp, I guess HZD is the next game I'll dive into after I'm 'done' with BotW.

This is a good choice. I'm nearly finished with HZD and it's crazy good imo.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

yamdankee posted:

Hard Mode: No Weapon or bow inventory. What you see on link is what you got. (Considering of course, master sword, diff types of arrows, materials, and food (maybe limited food)).

I'd love the challenge of being forced to use only the weapons/tools/environment around me to take down an outpost/guardian/hinox/lynel, etc. It'd make the takedown so more satisfying.

Hard mode would be not allowing yourself to have more than one melee weapon, one shield, and one bow in your inventory at any given time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hard mode: Link is a picky eater and craves variety. You can no longer consume more than one of any given type of meal per day. Also no more eating raw meat like some sort of disgusting animal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Internet Kraken posted:

Hard mode: Link is a picky eater and craves variety. You can no longer consume more than one of any given type of meal per day. Also no more eating raw meat like some sort of disgusting animal.

Make it like metal gear solid 3 where food spoils, and you get sick if you eat old food.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Hard mode should 100% include eating raw meat poisoning you. In fact the normal game shouldn't let eating raw meat happen, c'mon Nintendo!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hard mode should 100% include eating raw meat poisoning you. In fact the normal game shouldn't let eating raw meat happen, c'mon Nintendo!

The resurrection pod clearly just restored function to Link's appendix:colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Permadeath :getin:

Also give armor durability too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Stamina gauge is also a hunger gauge and when it's out you start losing health

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hard Mode: You're a Goron.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hard mode :: the game is Zelda 2.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I was trying really hard to solve a Korok puzzle ("Where the gently caress is the missing rock?!") and I solved three other Koroks while looking for it. This game. :3:

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

The Lobster posted:

So I was trying really hard to solve a Korok puzzle ("Where the gently caress is the missing rock?!") and I solved three other Koroks while looking for it. This game. :3:

Hint: use stasis to help find hiding rocks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hint: drop the rock on the Korok for a small burst of satisfaction.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
The only thing that makes finding a korok worth it is dropping the rock on their head.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ow!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I don't think I get it. I mean maybe I kind of get it, but I don't really get it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

MustelaFuro posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stasis also highlights collectible ingredients so its useful for scanning areas where they might be hidden by grass or shadows.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

MustelaFuro posted:

Along with this, I noticed that you can almost always find the missing rock by standing in the the spot where you would drop it and running directly away from the rock formation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ice Fist posted:

I generally agree. The Open World of Witcher 3 wasn't it's main selling point. It works, in some cases it works really well, but not as well as BOTW or HZD. Maybe one of the reasons that you didn't pay attention to topography in W3 is because pretty much everything is marked on your map ahead of time. So instead of like in BOTW where you look and see something cool and go "I'm going to go there and do whatever is over there" in Witcher 3 you're like Oh look some POIs gunna check those boxes real quick.

Also getting around in BoTW is a ton of fun because you have so many options for movement and chances are getting from point A to B will net you a ton of profitable detours

Whereas in other open world games it's a chore because your character is tremendously slow relative to the size of the scenery (loving Skyrim), getting to point A to point B is just following a straight line and any exploration or alternate routes is pure accident (FFXV), Stamina takes way too long to recover or uses up resources in an annoying way (again loving Skyrim, FFXV), your character is a delicate flower with the brittlest of bones (Witcher 3) or your mode of transportation is finicky, stupid, and moves around in a very stupid manner (Witcher 3, Skyrim, FFXV even with the flying car)
I mean I know there are a lot of other open world games that also have fun ways of moving around and covering terrain, but Zelda just sticks out so much because the world is gigantic and is also a ton of fun to run around in

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I think the movement system does wonders for BOTW. Exploring the world is simply way more fun when you can jump and climb up basically everything.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
My Hylian Shield broke before the last enemy I killed.

The last enemy I killed was Gannon.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Does anyone know what happened here?

https://twitter.com/wagon_Tzelda/status/856566716150587392

Assuming this isn't tampered footage or anything Link had the Master Sword and then it...got the gently caress outta there?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It looks like it's some sort of glitch involving getting hit by electricity (which is supposed to cause you to drop weapons) while having the undroppable Master Sword equipped.

Though actually I don't really know offhand what's supposed to happen when you get electric damage while holding it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Assuming this isn't tampered footage or anything Link had the Master Sword and then it...got the gently caress outta there?

Game logic gently caress up because you're not supposed to drop the Master Sword when you're electrocuted.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If that text says "The Master Sword returned to the forest" then what I'm seeing is "they managed to anticipate and code for an edge case that should never, ever happen, but on the off chance a race condition forces it they have a way of making sure you're not hosed over forever"

honestly between this and The Box that checks for the parasail, and the Blood Moon reset, they did a hell of a lot better job preventing game fuckups than most open world games in recent memory

bethesda should start taking notes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wouldn't totally hate it if when I opened the door to my house, all my mounted swords and shields exploded around the room.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah but Bethesda games do have the advantage of not despawning items when you place more than 10 of them on the ground.

One of the ways this game could of been improved is if I could drop all these guts in my house and then bathe in them.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I'd rather be up in them guts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly a little surprised that there isn't already a Skyrim BotW model mod

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What's the box that checks for the parasail?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the zone surrounding the plateau, instant warp out if you touch the ground without the parasail.

I'd like hard mode to restrict fast travel somehow, it's way too easy to zoom all over the map to complete the quests, overworld starts feeling like small sections instead of a coherent world. I have crappy willpower and would prefer the game make me play it a certain way.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 26, 2017

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Basically The Great Plateau has an invisible box around it that prevents you from skipping the first 4 shrines and getting the paraglider.
Anytime you enter the area outside the box, regardless of if you walked out, slinghsotted yourself through the air, or wrong-warped to different part of the world, the game checks if you have the paraglider in your inventory. If you're outside the box and don't have the paraglider, you get a screenwipe and teleport back to the plateau.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I'm currently in the farming phase of this lovely game, aka Hyrule Rock-Climbing Simulator. Just last night I collected all the memories except for the one in the castle. I've been reading along with this thread during my downtime between sessions. It's been a blast!

My route of progression took me around the Hylian steppes in this order: Kakariko => Zora => Goron => Akkala => Lost Woods => Faron => Ruto => Gerudo
I'm at 95 shrines and ~140 korok seeds, I believe. I still have the cold areas to explore fully as well as Hyrule castle, as those areas seemed the least inviting.

Personal highlights of my experience include:
  • Following a Shooting Star on a breakneck paragliding race that got me lost in the thickest parts of Faron jungle during a thunderstorm, being mesmerized by a glowing dragon drifting above the treetops.
  • Finding a treasure-laden pond in the jungle shortly after a Lynel fight, only to have that same dragon appear from nowhere and give me the shock of a lifetime (I had to find a new phrenic bow, for starters!). :vd:
  • Personally renaming the Ishto Soh Shrine (the one surrounded by waste and defilement) the "It's Soh poo poo" Shrine, because A) it took me forever to solve it (incorrectly) and B) it's covered in poo poo. :nexus:
  • Having a minor panic attack each time I found out that my camera / mealsack / map's stamps are full. :argh:
  • At first I didn't know I could retract/reopen the paraglider in mid-air to fall and land safely, so I slowly drifted downwards to a shrine until my stamina let out. I plummeted from a mile up, expecting a fall-to-death animation sequence. Instead, I slapped the marshy ground right next to a Lizalfos at full gravity impact, only to be revived by fairy magic.:buddy:
  • Face-tanking the final phase of my first Major Test of Strength with nothing but chip-damage weapons and a pocket full of fairy dust. :histdowns::hellyeah:
  • Revisiting 'Grave of the Fireflies' in Kakariko :cry:
  • "Threading the needle" for a korok puzzle during a sandstorm before a giant divine camel, and laughing to myself as I recalled a piece of scripture: "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." I looked at my rupee count at the time to see how rich I was, and it was at 1337. :cheers:
  • Dodging a club-Lynel's spin attack because I panicked and hit crouch while I was standing right next to him :aaaaa:

That's it for now! Gonna keep going and see if I can't make some more.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wow, a 5x bow and bomb arrows turned Windblight Ganon into babytown follies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If that text says "The Master Sword returned to the forest" then what I'm seeing is "they managed to anticipate and code for an edge case that should never, ever happen, but on the off chance a race condition forces it they have a way of making sure you're not hosed over forever"

honestly between this and The Box that checks for the parasail, and the Blood Moon reset, they did a hell of a lot better job preventing game fuckups than most open world games in recent memory

bethesda should start taking notes

I also like how doing the Cyronesis Trial without getting the rune results in getting told to pick up the rune first.

They really did take into account how much poo poo can go wrong in open world games and made sure there's no way for the player to get screwed. Though I guess they couldn't predict everything, like going to Ganon while doing the parasailing minigame.