Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/uniwatch/status/856932527709270016

This thing that coincides with the greatest period of sustained success in the history of the program is actually bad and holding it back.

Willie Taggart seems like he might actually be bad

Sports media here were railing against the uniforms all season, saying they should wear more normal uniforms or whatever until they start playing better. Seems Willie bought into that point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Personally I'm all for Oregon making fools of themselves

I hope they keep wearing the uniform combo from last year's game so everyone can hang 70 on them :)

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Crotch Bat posted:

VT might also be starting a true freshman but everyone's really pumped about him so that's cool, too. It'll either be him or a rFr but Fuente is a QB guy so I'm honestly not particularly worried about that position anymore. Usually coaches like that (played QB, coached QB, etc) make those positions amazing and all indications are after the spring game that VT's very much in a good spot no matter who gets the call.

VT might surprise again this year. Losing a QB like Evans and 2 quality WRs in Hodges and Ford is big but there's a bunch of young skill talent with Cam Phillips being the experienced senior and the D looks to be very good albeit very thin at a few positions. Miami will be the preseason pick but if Fuente can work some magic again it wouldn't shock me at all to see VT playing FSU in Charlotte.

Think that's entirely dependent on the depth of the DL. If we can go through the season without losing one of our starting DEs or DTs, we could make some serious noise. We need a 4th DE to step up really badly in the incoming class, and what the hell are we gonna do with DT outside of Walker and Settle? ><

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm down with a hokie colored reign of terror

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

jesus :stare:

I get wanting to create your own identity as a new coach with a program but goddamn, Willie. making GBS threads all over your upper classmen isn't a great way to do that

Ah, the ol' Charlie Strong Method.

Poor Charlie :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, the ol' Charlie Strong Method.

Poor Charlie :(

I feel like a lot of black coaches have to institute this ultra-macho grit and grind culture just to keep the donors happy and it never ends up working out for anyone involved

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel like a lot of black coaches have to institute this ultra-macho grit and grind culture just to keep the donors happy and it never ends up working out for anyone involved

Randy Shannon made the same overtures at Miami.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
also the uniforms were bad

except the awesome throwback one

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Crotch Bat posted:

VT might also be starting a true freshman but everyone's really pumped about him so that's cool, too. It'll either be him or a rFr but Fuente is a QB guy so I'm honestly not particularly worried about that position anymore. Usually coaches like that (played QB, coached QB, etc) make those positions amazing and all indications are after the spring game that VT's very much in a good spot no matter who gets the call.

I'm guessing AJ Bush didn't do much after his arrival? (Not that I hold the slightest bit of ill will toward the kid — just didn't expect him to be an FBS QB)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

VT might surprise again this year. Losing a QB like Evans and 2 quality WRs in Hodges and Ford is big but there's a bunch of young skill talent with Cam Phillips being the experienced senior and the D looks to be very good albeit very thin at a few positions. Miami will be the preseason pick but if Fuente can work some magic again it wouldn't shock me at all to see VT playing FSU in Charlotte.

I can't really figure out how to handle that feeling of "don't worry about the offense". I keep thinking I'm going to tune into some game in mid-season and there will be a loving Sean Glennon warming up on the field.

(I'm sorry, Sean. It's just how it is.)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Real Name Grover posted:

I'm guessing AJ Bush didn't do much after his arrival? (Not that I hold the slightest bit of ill will toward the kid — just didn't expect him to be an FBS QB)

It wouldn't surprise me to see him for a couple plays a game that called for a QB draw or some such, kid has wheels, but the two freshman are gonna be the future for the next few years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm glad that James Franklin pretty much showed up as the physical embodiment of :) and was just like "time to win some football games!"

I guess when you figure that the big donors aren't going to accept you because you're not Ghost Paterno, you have to take a different tack.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Real Name Grover posted:

Our post-Evans decision QB chart was literally rFr Josh Jackson. We had Hendon Hooker, a highly rated dual-threat, committed but his plans were to come in the fall. We convinced him to EE and along the way snagged Bush for depth purposes.

The race is and always has been between Jackson and Hooker. I'm guessing the staff really wants to RS Hooker but my understanding is if it's all equal come late summer then Hooker will get the nod because of his feet. If that happens Bush will probably carry the clipboard longer and Jackson will backup. However, if Hooker redshirts then Bush will be the backup.

He hasn't done poorly, he just isn't as talented as Jackson or Hooker. Seeing Fuente be able to look into JUCO and go "Evans is perfect for me" and in one year rewrite VT's entire QB record book makes me very comfortable with absolutely anyone he wants to come play QB for him. Bush was definitely a depth choice but Fuente still must have seen something in him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fuente got Paxton Lynch a first round pick into the NFL, VT's gonna have some scary quarterbacks in the future

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/uniwatch/status/856932527709270016

This thing that coincides with the greatest period of sustained success in the history of the program is actually bad and holding it back.

Willie Taggart seems like he might actually be bad

Not that Taggart isn't bad, but I think it's a stretch to interpret that quote as saying the uniforms are the problem. He's saying the players are the problem. Which is indeed a red flag.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/857206126487719936

No clue if it's true but I can see him doing that

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's absolutely true. The Michigan trip to Rome has been amazing.

https://pbs-h2.twimg.com/media/C-VjsLrW0AADjaK.jpg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I posted this in the wrong thread like an rear end in a top hat, but the point remains:

an ignorant rear end in a top hat posted:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/15-breakout-stars-spring-football-stidham-akers-dormady-042517

It's going to hurt watching Will Grier tear it up at WVU.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That VT kid that's on that list, shockingly I might add since he's just a random 3* true freshman, has been making rumblings since he stepped on campus. He played QB in high school because he played for a small NC school and you know how the best athlete often plays QB at that level and he racked up something ridiculous like 70 TDs his senior season. Comes up to Blacksburg and Foster immediately steals him to be a CB and has been quoted on the kid in a way I've rarely seen Foster talk about any defender he gets. About a week or so before the spring game Fuente steals him and puts him at WR (where most fans thought he'd go) and he's basically been a terror on offense ever since.

He obviously has a ways to go learning how to play either position (he's not a WR for sure yet) but the word about him coming out of Blacksburg is very good and I can only think of a handful of freshman who've gotten this much word of mouth (Ryan Williams and Kendall Fuller are good examples) and all of them have turned out to be stars.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This might be a question for the recruiting thread but since it's a current player and a grad transfer I figured I'd ask here -

Shaq Wiggins is a Louisville grad transfer and he's moving to UT. Seems like he was hurt a lot and also transferred to Louisville from UGA after his Freshman season. Anyone know anything more about him? Good enough to be a starter or is he just filler?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

This might be a question for the recruiting thread but since it's a current player and a grad transfer I figured I'd ask here -

Shaq Wiggins is a Louisville grad transfer and he's moving to UT. Seems like he was hurt a lot and also transferred to Louisville from UGA after his Freshman season. Anyone know anything more about him? Good enough to be a starter or is he just filler?

His freshman year at UGA he had flashes of talent including completely blowing up a screen play for Vandy into a pick six, like he knew the play all. He either was starting or getting heavy reps. Apparently he was a joker on the field and during practice, didn't like Pruitt's all business attitude and left for L'ville with Grantham, who he played for his freshman year. After that I stopped following him, but he did have a lot of potential from what I saw.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 26, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

His freshman year at UGA he had flashes of talent including completely blowing up a screen play for candy into a pick six, like he knew the play all. He either was starting or getting heavy reps. Apparently he was a joker on the field and during practice, didn't like Pruitt's all business attitude and left for L'ville with Grantham, who he played for his freshman year. After that I stopped following him, but he did have a lot of potential from what I saw.

I'm sure he'll get along great with noted jokers Butch Jones and Bob Shoop

He'll be dealing with Charleton Warren the most and I have no idea if hes a joker or not

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm going to Austin, TX next week for 5 days and will have lots of free time. What are some great food spots or things to do?

Since I've seen more talking about places to eat and stuff to do in Austin here than anywhere on the forums some of you Texas guys go help this goon in the chat thread out.

On topic it looks like ESPN is cutting back on their CFB analysis guys pretty hard. I think the SEC blog guys are still around though which is funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grittybeard posted:

Since I've seen more talking about places to eat and stuff to do in Austin here than anywhere on the forums some of you Texas guys go help this goon in the chat thread out.

On topic it looks like ESPN is cutting back on their CFB analysis guys pretty hard. I think the SEC blog guys are still around though which is funny.

They cut loose the guy who covers recruiting in the SEC. As long as they keep Marty it'll be good.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/danieltosh/status/857314407508045825

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

@BrentZwerneman: WR Kirk Merritt has been dismissed from Texas A&M football, according to @theeagle. Had exposed himself to two tutors in 24 hr span.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

@BrentZwerneman: WR Kirk Merritt has been dismissed from Texas A&M football, according to @theeagle. Had exposed himself to two tutors in 24 hr span.

Sounds like someone had a case of the Mondays

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Finals pressure makes you do weird things.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do you wanna solve my derivative? *unzips pants*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey baby, you wanna see my chode jar

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looks like A&M is more than rear end, my dudes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What is Kiffin doing at FSU?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's some buzz on Michigan boards that Michigan's trying to get out of its 2020/2021 home-and-home with Washington.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/brendatracy24/status/857242717738344448

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Pakled posted:

There's some buzz on Michigan boards that Michigan's trying to get out of its 2020/2021 home-and-home with Washington.

I think at this point their non conference schedule that year would be Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, and Washington, so I'm sure they are. I would really rather play Washington than either of those schools though. Poor choices. (I mean from a coolness standpoint not "easier game" or whatever)

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

ESPN laid off a bunch of on-air talent today. This is a good thing because no more Danny Kannell!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

ESPN laid off a bunch of on-air talent today. This is a good thing because no more Danny Kannell!

And yet, somehow, the Longhorn Network is still a thing.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

And yet, somehow, the Longhorn Network is still a thing.

It's got to be cheaper for ESPN to just honor their contract to UT. I don't see any other reason they're keeping it alive.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Danny Kannell was cool for the same reason the War Chant is cool. It's grating and annoying to everyone else but FSU fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Do you wanna solve my derivative? *unzips pants*

Everyone knows the only school college football players have to take calc is georgia Tech

• Locked thread