Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wooo. I love me some naked aliens! Because all highly technological races that have achieved space flight don't care about stuff like fashion. I hope they also fight with bows and swords because that's a hallmark of technology.

Also the polygon count on this character appears to be startlingly high, as do the number of animation bones. But I'm sure it'll be fine, and you can have 100s on screen at once with full subsumption AI as they talk with each other in unique voices with a real alien language that is not just meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm the date and time part of the monitor no longer allowed to be in any photos anymore.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

:sureboat:
:toot:

okay got it out of my system

You can steer me into an iceberg that rips a hole down my side any time, baby. :wink:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

I'm the date and time part of the monitor no longer allowed to be in any photos anymore.

CIG has gone pan and scan to deliver a more intimate open development experience.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Titanic posted:

Also the polygon count on this character appears to be startlingly high, as do the number of animation bones. But I'm sure it'll be fine, and you can have 100s on screen at once with full subsumption AI as they talk with each other in unique voices with a real alien language that is not just meaningless.
I wouldn't worry. It's first going into a fake video of gameplay or fake demo slice and won't be in the actual alpha until it looks nothing like that picture at all and more like Lara Croft from the original Tomb Raider.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

You can steer me into an iceberg that rips a hole down my side any time, baby. :wink:

:dance: There's no way this can possibly fail!

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

kingcom posted:

ManofManyAliases posted:

One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.

Explain this you loving hack.

Listen here you little poo poo.

I have an esteemed ASSOCIATE'S in computer science because I thought I wanted to make computer games before I realized making computer games is a really loving lovely way to make a living and completely not what computer science is about.

Yeah, let that sink in you uneducated shitheel. An associate's loving degree. For all I know that's a more formal coding background that Our Lord Savior Christo-- okay bad example moving on

Anyway, we learned things like JAVA. You know Java? Course you don't. You probably think that's fancy coffee. You probably think when I refer to Java that I'm talking about some $20,000 coff- okay another bad example let's keep rolling

In that programming language, we learned what a GUI is. And we made a video loving game for a final project. Get this: Battleship. Yeah, the classic Milton Bradley experience that you had to play with your little brother who never understood the rules and insisted he said A4 when he really said A3. ... I uh... next.

And how do you code that abhorrent excuse to sell plastic and more recently DVDs? You start off with a map. Then you add in some buttons for what you want it to do. And then you have it draw results from those button presses.

It's all very complicated and I really don't want to confuse you with terminology like JLabels, state machines, and exception handling. The gist is, the game was a GUI, and we made the goddamn GUI first. How else are you gonna tell it what the JButtons do if you don't place a sumbitchin JButton?

And by the way? GUI stands for "Graphical User Interface". I'll let you try and explain to me how any video game ever ISN'T a "graphical user interface". Yeah. Yeah you chew that cud for a bit.

So why don't you elect to simmer down and go back to Fye-Add 'fore you get schoolified on how game development works, ok commando?

e:Picture that bunny reading the text out loud for full effect.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 26, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

:dance: There's no way this can possibly fail!

I have all the best Valentine's Day cards:

I don't go down for just anybody!

You split me in half with love!

Let's slowly sink into the moonlit waves together.

Look at you, passenger, a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you wade through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal- oh poo poo there goes the power.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Look at you, passenger, a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you wade through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal- oh poo poo there goes the power.
:swoon:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nicholas posted:

does the game even have NPCs that can walk around yet?

Some of them can be pushed about, and even through walls so they disappear off the map. That's a kind of walking around, isn't it?

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Same old poo poo, same day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheAgent posted:

I'm obsessed about the 7th Guest series. I've amassed over 48,000 hours of playtime across all three games (yes, three! I got a hold of a very early prototype version of The 7th Guest Part III: The Collector). I even own the CD-i port, including original packaging and all manuals (did you know the CD-i version came with a different scene when Martine Burden and Edward Knox get together? It was deemed "too intense" for release on that console).

I happily backed the 4 or 5 or 6 failed Kickstarters and play the 7th Guest: The Board Game with all my friends when they come over.
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CART INTO THE SLOT. ITS WING COMMANDER ON SNES AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BANDITLOAF. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM PAST SOME NEKO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MISS WITH LASERS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY LEAD THE ASSAULT ON THE KILRATHI HIGH COMMAND STARBASE IN THE VENICE SYSTEM. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Tane.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Star Citizen has sectoids confirmed

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TheAgent posted:

I'm obsessed about the 7th Guest series. I've amassed over 48,000 hours of playtime across all three games (yes, three! I got a hold of a very early prototype version of The 7th Guest Part III: The Collector). I even own the CD-i port, including original packaging and all manuals (did you know the CD-i version came with a different scene when Martine Burden and Edward Knox get together? It was deemed "too intense" for release on that console).

I happily backed the 4 or 5 or 6 failed Kickstarters and play the 7th Guest: The Board Game with all my friends when they come over.

Still less disturbing than being a delusional Star Citizen backer.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

The Titanic posted:

I don't go down for just anybody!

You split me in half with love!

Let's slowly sink into the moonlit waves together.

How's the sister ship doing?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Please don't doxxe The Titanic. She posts good posts!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gradis posted:

How's the sister ship doing?

Funny fact; the Olympic, the first ship in the line, had an incident where it crashed into a light ship of the admiralty, causing some damage. The captain at the time was E.J. Smith. He was the only captain to crash an Olympic class vessel twice.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Triple post for a triple class with a triple gently caress up. The Britannic was sunk during WWI while she was a hospital ship. She was the largest ship sunk during the war. The Olympic class has a sad heritage of being *hosed*

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna post one more time to beat the Jobbo-Fet flyby threepost!

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
facts are good. Star Citizen is crap.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Gradis posted:

facts are good. Star Citizen is crap.

I thought: "Facts are useless".

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I thought: "Facts are useless".

thats alternate facts. it gets complicated these facts.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I am gonna code my own space game using statistical programming. Who wants to back R Citizen?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looks like the intro for the Six Million Dollar Man.

Or in this case, the Two Hundred Million Buffoon.

Gentlemen, we can refactor him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's greatest crowdfunding clusterfuck. Chris Roberts will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...slimier...duller.

The Hundred And Forty Six Million Dollar Man

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

TerraGoetia posted:

I am gonna code my own space game using statistical programming. Who wants to back R Citizen?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O56i6xBa1Gs&t=87s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkVoQcNBKw

:gary:

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Titanic, Olympic, Britannic stuff.
And there was a lady that survived all three.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zzr posted:

Ben is fat and you shouldn't laugh about it. 50% of US population is like him ; I'll still bang the prositutes there because they are cheaper and I like the chubby stance.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Catte Talk.

Does anyone else's cat have an outdoor guard watchtower?... or is my furball overlord completely spoilt?

this is the best post in the thread

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TerraGoetia posted:

Physics grids to an accuracy within two standard deviations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What a lovely day. I'll fire up the computer and browse a few websites to get caught up on what's going on in the wor-
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/857080299993223172

:allbuttons:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Days since CIG last hosed up = 4

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Propagandist posted:

e:Picture that bunny reading the text out loud for full effect.

I used this instead, is that ok?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

What a lovely day. I'll fire up the computer and browse a few websites to get caught up on what's going on in the wor-

Ok, you got me, I'm lost. What the gently caress does that even mean?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

Thanks for ruining my day.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I get it :downs:

Next question, why the gently caress would you tweet about it? And who's going to pay some poor guys lifetime counseling?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Thanks for ruining my day.
Just spreading the love.

Wuxi posted:

I get it :downs:

Next question, why the gently caress would you tweet about it? And who's going to pay some poor guys lifetime counseling?
Honestly? I think it's because Ben Lesnick has no idea how an adult human being is supposed to behave.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The courier read the tweet and was relieved to find out that Ben was wearing underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Wuxi posted:

Ok, you got me, I'm lost. What the gently caress does that even mean?

This goons brain is protecting him. Good brain