Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Andrast posted:

The Moon confidant is really good because you get to constantly poo poo on Mishima.

All Mishima's invitiations to places are good for the same reason too.

making GBS threads on Mishima is great and all but also he's bad and I don't want to hang out with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hanging out with him ends up with someone else dunking him half the time. Dunking Mishima is a good thing and you should share.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though that is more because this game doesn't push any of the female characters towards your character.

Which is surprising

It does with Makoto a little The scene in Sojiros house where you break in to see Futaba and have the scare stuff where she clings to you and a few other scenes like that but nothing to the extent of Yukari/Aigis or Rise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

It does with Makoto a little The scene in Sojiros house where you break in to see Futaba and have the scare stuff where she clings to you and a few other scenes like that but nothing to the extent of Yukari/Aigis or Rise.

I actually like Aigis' story arc. Going from barely-sentient protector merely watching over Pharos in the protagonist to things starting to get a little muddy as she develops emotions. Nevermind having to cope with losing him in the end :ohdear:. Her VA also does an excellent job of subtly changing from mindless automaton to a full-fledged personality over the latter six months-or-so of the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zore posted:

Yeah I notice that and maybe there was more that was nixed but I don't think what we have is enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's interesting to see different readings of Makoto as a preferred love interest. Some people think the game pushes her like crazy, others don't really see that or read it more like just non-romantic comedy. For my part it felt like the game wanted Joker to date Makoto but maybe my perception is colored because I planned on it anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the game pushes Makoto as a character more than almost anyone else. She comes early, quickly becomes a leader in the team, is hugely tied in to outside players and the greater plot etc. There isn't a ton of overtly romantic stuff between her and Joker, but she is always there and gets a bunch of extra scenes from her pov which might feel like she's being pushed for some people.

She's basically the secondary protagonist for the story and for some people that makes it natural to pair her and Joker.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Harrow posted:

It's interesting to see different readings of Makoto as a preferred love interest. Some people think the game pushes her like crazy, others don't really see that or read it more like just non-romantic comedy. For my part it felt like the game wanted Joker to date Makoto but maybe my perception is colored because I planned on it anyway.

I think the game just likes Makato so it's easy to see it.

She is given the most to do out of all the characters plot wise and has the most fleshed out personality, even if her link story is trash.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

futaba is second-best girl but it's a little skeevy to date the girl who you had to teach to be normal

Everyone else did most of that. The MC just sort of nodded and lended an ear since he's sort of a quiet weirdo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Makato is also weird and not normal, it's just not easy when comparing her to Futaba who is a cartoon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Makoto deffo gets pushed as "The One" for Joker to romance, and usually I would be totally against that in games, but this time it felt really good and I totally went with monogamous Makoto romance.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is given the most to do out of all the characters plot wise and has the most fleshed out personality, even if her link story is trash.

I dunno, Futaba gets a bunch of stuff to do as well. And it's not like Makoto's importance and presence in plot is what people point to in saying the game pushes you to date her, it's stuff like Sojiro mistaking her for Joker's girlfriend or Joker catching her when she gets knocked over in the palace 4 boss.

Regardless though it's all small stuff. But then again it's not like the stuff with Rise in p4 was much more involved either. She just had a crush on the mc which is not really that much of a suggestion from the game to date her.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 26, 2017

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
canon choice should be based on which girl makes you feel the worst when you don't date her imo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The whole back half of Makoto's social link is you pretending to be her boyfriend so they're def pushing Makoto harder than they have in the past and hell im cool with it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, Futaba gets a bunch of stuff to do as well. And it's not like Makoto's importance and presence in plot is what people point to in saying the game pushes you to date her, it's stuff like Sojiro mistaking her for Joker's girlfriend or Joker catching her when she gets knocked over in the palace 4 boss.

Regardless though it's all small stuff. But then again it's not like the stuff with Rise in p4 was much more involved either. She just had a crush on the mc which is not really that much of a suggestion from the game to date her.
The boss also does that for Ann when she first appears so that isn't that impressive.

The only reason he doesn't do it for Haru is that no one cares about Haru.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

The boss also does that for Ann when she first appears so that isn't that impressive.

The only reason he doesn't do it for Haru is that no one cares about Haru.

Ann isn't clinging to Joker's leg at the time and doesn't spend several lines trying to deny it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Ann thing is way more "Your dad sussing out the first girl he's ever seen you hang out with and then telling you she's cool when she leaves"

The Makoto thing is way more "Are you guys about to have oral sex here in my home just now?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Learning a lot about y'all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Harrow posted:

I kinda read Ann on that front. Even when you go in for the romantic link Makoto is kind of "um... kay" about it. The whole thing was kind of cold. In replaying the game (and going for Haru, by thread decree) I noticed how little changes between the romantic/platonic scenes so maybe that's why everything reads a little weird.

CharlestheHammer posted:

no one cares about Haru.

Mods?!?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I meant story wise!
she is kind of just there.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I've been doing the night time training with the chair on NG+ because a lot of nights I don't have much to do besides call Kawakami to make coffee and buying stuff from Tanaka and as you spend more nights doing it, it keeps getting funnier. First terribly out of shape panting Joker, then Morgana hanging on his legs while he does pull-ups, until he's superman knocking out upside-down sit-ups shirtless. This was a good decision.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My chars name is Koji Haru so I look forward to this other Haru appearing

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know if the money bonuses from Star and Fortune stack?

Zhaan posted:

I've been doing the night time training with the chair on NG+ because a lot of nights I don't have much to do besides call Kawakami to make coffee and buying stuff from Tanaka and as you spend more nights doing it, it keeps getting funnier. First terribly out of shape panting Joker, then Morgana hanging on his legs while he does pull-ups, until he's superman knocking out upside-down sit-ups shirtless. This was a good decision.

Same, but with the gym in Shibuya. Everyone needs to visit that place at least once

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Learning a lot about y'all.

I'm a shapsheefter, personally

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlestheHammer posted:

Makato is also weird and not normal, it's just not easy when comparing her to Futaba who is a cartoon.

Makoto is just slightly socially inept, Futaba suffered severe psychological trauma which most of her S-Link is about overcoming her dependency on you to deal with. Turning one situation into a romance is, uh, slightly more ethically challenging than the other.

Out of the romances, most of them are perfectly OK with you being a platonic friend. Except Haru, who is the only one that gets sad and all "OK I need to go now"

Edit: Oh right this is the non-spoiler thread

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moltrey posted:

The whole back half of Makoto's social link is you pretending to be her boyfriend so they're def pushing Makoto harder than they have in the past and hell im cool with it

That is also true for Ohya

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
God, I really want the final exam noise as a ringtone. I've been rocking the P4 confirmation noise for years, but I can't not associate the exam tone with Morgana's "Ohh, we can do this" clip and its so good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
went back and got the bad ending for agreeing to the deal. I feel like these endings have become more and more lame with each game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

God, I really want the final exam noise as a ringtone. I've been rocking the P4 confirmation noise for years, but I can't not associate the exam tone with Morgana's "Ohh, we can do this" clip and its so good

I love that they made such a jam for an incidental event that happens four times in 100 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEeVrR4IVA

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 26, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Makoto's sister's interrogations get really silly by month 3 or so. Really you think I must have had someone help me with my "luck'? Why not investigate that burger joint that's clearly putting steroids and mind enhancing drugs in their patty.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Makoto's sister's interrogations get really silly by month 3 or so. Really you think I must have had someone help me with my "luck'? Why not investigate that burger joint that's clearly putting steroids and mind enhancing drugs in their patty.

One of her first ones is "You were friends with a fanboy weren't you?!?!" so they were always pretty drat silly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually like Aigis' story arc. Going from barely-sentient protector merely watching over Pharos in the protagonist to things starting to get a little muddy as she develops emotions. Nevermind having to cope with losing him in the end :ohdear:. Her VA also does an excellent job of subtly changing from mindless automaton to a full-fledged personality over the latter six months-or-so of the game.

Aigis doesn't slowly develop emotions, she literally gets a brain upgrade in October or so

It's by far my least favorite aspect of how she's handled

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
haha the pua veteran in shibuya actually never actually picked up a girl :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That is also true for Ohya

Well, her sketchy underage boytoy she brings to bars in that case.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

While Yusuke is really the only member who has a hard time carrying weight later in the game, she's also a mechanically excellent character. Only like the fourth-best boss killer, but she's extremely well-rounded with one of the best elements, probably the best possible weakness, and incredible support thanks to multi-target healing and Marakukaja.

I don't think she ever left my party once.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The romance with Kawakami is more hidden than I realised. You don't get the "I should choose my words carefully" warning before the "I won't be lonely" / "I want to keep seeing you" prompt at rank 9, and if you pick the first one it never comes up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if the money bonuses from Star and Fortune stack?

Same, but with the gym in Shibuya. Everyone needs to visit that place at least once

I'm pretty sure the bonuses don't stack unfortunately. I haven't noticed getting 4x money out of it at least.

And... you can actually go into the gym? Outside of confidant scenes? Every time I tried, Morgana was like "why spend money when you have a perfectly good chair" so I figured it wasn't actually usable.

There's always more to this game, huh? Just like when I stumbled upon this guy selling sweet potatoes outside the clinic in... early-ish November when he was pretty useless. Sorry guy, your 800 yen for 10 SP deal sure isn't good anytime but especially not now :v:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Holy poo poo I cant believe Niijima is spelled with three is. I never noticed 🤔

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One of her first ones is "You were friends with a fanboy weren't you?!?!" so they were always pretty drat silly.

Sae: tell me about the loving vegetables, MC. where'd you get the produce? *pounds fist on table*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

The romance with Kawakami is more hidden than I realised. You don't get the "I should choose my words carefully" warning before the "I won't be lonely" / "I want to keep seeing you" prompt at rank 9, and if you pick the first one it never comes up.
People apparently dislike this Social Link more than I realized. The most recent Random Encounter episode had like a 20 minute discussion about how they don't like that its in the game.