Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hey man Jimmy almost spilled one of his drinks. That poo poo got real for a second there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goldulum: Doin' Thangz

https://twitter.com/pedestriandaily/status/857088093236670464

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CHEF GOLDBLUM

Oh hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi!!

....Hi

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gorman Thomas posted:

Can't wait to see a rich white family survive JW2 while hundreds of thousands of nameless browns bite the dust.

The Impossible had potential, and I liked how certain elements were handled, and would have been better as part of a movie that didn't only follow around a single family of rich white people who got very lucky.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FishBulb posted:

Oh good I can't wait to watch this a million times

Curse my wife for giving me two daughters!!!

Who's there, spermatozoa determine sex, Henry the VIII.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Isn't Rock on the record that he hates candy?

Only of the '-rear end' variety

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Samovar posted:

Who's there, spermatozoa determine sex, Henry the VIII.

Oh my thanks for posting this I had no idea!!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, sorry. Wasn't really a good joke.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Despite the race thing I quite enjoyed The Impossible and my girlfriend shot tear bullets out of her ducts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/841871-m-night-shyamalan-announces-unbreakable-and-split-sequel-glass-for-2019#/slide/1

The sequel to Split has been announced.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All my dreams are coming true.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

So, Jurassic World if it had the guts to actually kill a park guest and with more diverse extras. Sounds like an improvement.

Wait JW didn't kill off any guests? Didn't that movie have someone picked up by teradactyl only for it be eaten by other dinosaurs like she was a wishbone?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Wait JW didn't kill off any guests? Didn't that movie have someone picked up by teradactyl only for it be eaten by other dinosaurs like she was a wishbone?

She worked for the park. That was Bryce Dallas Howard's character's assistant.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sir Kodiak posted:

She worked for the park. That was Bryce Dallas Howard's character's assistant.

Yeah, the one who got the most disproportionately cruel death. I just went 'what the gently caress?' when I saw that in the theater.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, the one who got the most disproportionately cruel death. I just went 'what the gently caress?' when I saw that in the theater.

I feel like the only problem with that sequence is, as you say, it's disproportionate. Jurassic World would be a way better movie if it had a bunch of park guests getting wrecked by dinosaurs. That way she's not being singled out and, more importantly, there'd be actual monster mayhem in the monster movie. But I guess that would make it harder to have a sequel where the park is open again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I assumed a lot of people died offscreen during the pterodactyl attack since there were so many people on the streets and so many dinos swooping around, they just only focused on one person and in a way normally reserved for a minor villain or something. Maybe all the other people were just good runners.

e: It's mostly just as ambiguous as possible. But I like the old guy grabbing 2 margaritas as he runs.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

I assumed a lot of people died offscreen during the pterodactyl attack since there were so many people on the streets and so many dinos swooping around, they just only focused on one person and in a way normally reserved for a minor villain or something. Maybe all the other people were just good runners.

It almost seems like we were actually expected to see her as a minor villain. Like we were supposed to see her as a typical millennial who can't look away from her phone for two seconds, and therefore she is deserving of a horrific death. I suppose its not that much different than the lawyer getting a horrible death in JP basically just because he's a jerky lawyer and people hate lawyers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

loving lawyers. What loving pieces of poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Haha I was convinced you weren't remembering the movie right Sir Kodiak, but I just watched an "all kills in JW" youtube and can confirm only employees die.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Electromax posted:

e: It's mostly just as ambiguous as possible. But I like the old guy grabbing 2 margaritas as he runs.

That's not just an old guy, that's Jimmy Buffett!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It almost seems like we were actually expected to see her as a minor villain. Like we were supposed to see her as a typical millennial who can't look away from her phone for two seconds, and therefore she is deserving of a horrific death. I suppose its not that much different than the lawyer getting a horrible death in JP basically just because he's a jerky lawyer and people hate lawyers.

I assumed the reason we were supposed to think he 'deserved' that is because he abandoned two children in the middle of a dinosaur attack.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

That's not just an old guy, that's Jimmy Buffett!

Good eye. The margaritas become doubly justified.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I assumed the reason we were supposed to think he 'deserved' that is because he abandoned two children in the middle of a dinosaur attack.

Right but if I'm remembering correctly she loses them because she was too busy looking at her phone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimmy Buffett with the margaritas is cute. Jimmy Buffett with margaritas getting mauled by a pterodactyl would be even better.

Electromax posted:

Ambiguity as to whether the monsters actually manage to take someone out is very much not what I'm looking for in a monster movie.

Anyways, I'm not saying it's impossible that a sequel would have some statistic about how 37 guests died or whatever, but as MacheteZombie confirmed (thanks for that), they're very careful to avoid showing it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure they had some very specific ideas about what they needed to do to maintain the PG-13 rating. Like, down to exactly how many deaths they could put in the movie, and I'm sure there was even some calculus done about how many innocent visitor deaths they could include versus employees.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Anyways, I'm not saying it's impossible that a sequel would have some statistic about how 37 guests died or whatever, but as MacheteZombie confirmed (thanks for that), they're very careful to avoid showing it.

Jurassic World: Civil War board room scene

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The M Night Shyamalan cinematic universe has been finally confirmed! Bruce Willis choking out The Lady In the Lake is going to be the highlight of all of cinema this century!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

The M Night Shyamalan cinematic universe has been finally confirmed! Bruce Willis choking out The Lady In the Lake is going to be the highlight of all of cinema this century!

Paul Giamatti as the Nick Fury character

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure they had some very specific ideas about what they needed to do to maintain the PG-13 rating. Like, down to exactly how many deaths they could put in the movie, and I'm sure there was even some calculus done about how many innocent visitor deaths they could include versus employees.

There's certainly a limit, but the whole series is PG-13 and Jurassic World is easily the tamest of the four.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

Paul Giamatti Stuart Little as the Nick Fury character

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

So, the sequel to Prometheus is a youtube short or is the actual start of Covenant?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Saddest JP death is definitely Eddie getting bisected by the T-Rexes in 2, at the peak of heroism. He's like the anti-lawyer guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

Saddest JP death is definitely Eddie getting bisected by the T-Rexes in 2, at the peak of heroism. He's like the anti-lawyer guy.

I like how Malcom gets really annoyed when the hunter guy says that they're probably safe because the T-Rexes just "fed".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

I like how Malcom gets really annoyed when the hunter guy says that they're probably safe because the T-Rexes just "fed".

I like The Lost World because you've got people like Goldblum, Peter Stormare, Pete Postlethwaite and Richard Schiff giving these weirdo line readings. Like, the movie obviously doesn't hang together that well, but those guys chomp on the English language in a really appealing way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The assistant's death works because audiences are conditioned to accept two types of deaths: good people's deaths, and bad people's deaths. Good people's deaths are clean and without suffering, because they are good people. Bad people get slower, more painful, more elaborate deaths.

The assistant's death reminds us that such a thing is a purely cinematic/human construct that the animals don't recognize of give a poo poo about. Her death is without message about her deserving it or not; the violence she experiences comes from three animals wanting her for dinner, nothing more.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The assistant's death works because audiences are conditioned to accept two types of deaths: good people's deaths, and bad people's deaths. Good people's deaths are clean and without suffering, because they are good people. Bad people get slower, more painful, more elaborate deaths.

The assistant's death reminds us that such a thing is a purely cinematic/human construct that the animals don't recognize of give a poo poo about. Her death is without message about her deserving it or not; the violence she experiences comes from three animals wanting her for dinner, nothing more.

This would work better if she was like Richard Schiff in Lost World, unambiguously good, and even in the middle of trying to save some people. Instead, people end up wondering if, like, she's supposed to be bad because she was using her phone, or didn't let her fiance have a bachelor party, or whatever. And then the movie never addresses this supposed theme again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MisterBibs posted:

I want to like this idea but it's such a cinematic death. If she was just running from a thing and got eaten by another thing, maybe, but she suffered.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also we do get deaths that fit that dynamic, so I doubt she is intended as a message that the film then contradicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Instead, people end up wondering if, like, she's supposed to be bad because she was using her phone, or didn't let her fiance have a bachelor party, or whatever. And then the movie never addresses this supposed theme again.

People end up wondering because they've been so conditioned by most movies that there must be a reason for it. The notion that there isn't one - she dies the way she dies because of purely conditional reasons - is an alien concept.

They don't need to address it again, because it's such a drastic scene that flaunts convention*. We're still talking about it long after the movie is out because it's so jarringly different. A lady dies a Bad Guy Death without being a bad guy, just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time around wrongly made monster-dinos. That just doesn't happen.

* Hell, I'd argue that the movie does it again in the finale(ish) of the movie. The gung-ho military guy gets an almost Good Guy Death from the raptor; off-screen and (if memory serves, it's been a while) rather bloodless.

• Locked thread