Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

People apparently dislike this Social Link more than I realized. The most recent Random Encounter episode had like a 20 minute discussion about how they don't like that its in the game.
that seems like a very lame episode of a bad podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Raxivace posted:

People apparently dislike this Social Link more than I realized. The most recent Random Encounter episode had like a 20 minute discussion about how they don't like that its in the game.
They don't like that you can date her, or they don't like it in general?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its interesting cause they had to like acknowledge futabas social stunting but then they go ahead and fix it in like 20 minutes. which is fine, it would suck to deal with that for like a whole game, but it does have a little bit of that persona 4 panglossian thing where everything always works out for the best, and quick too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NachtSieger posted:

Sae: tell me about the loving vegetables, MC. where'd you get the produce? *pounds fist on table*

No criminal could be so kind. Unless you were taking care of someone... or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zas posted:

its interesting cause they had to like acknowledge futabas social stunting but then they go ahead and fix it in like 20 minutes.
iunno if they really fixed it, her s. link has a lot of her being awkward and even in her interactions with other people outside of her s. links she can come across weird

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

And... you can actually go into the gym? Outside of confidant scenes? Every time I tried, Morgana was like "why spend money when you have a perfectly good chair" so I figured it wasn't actually usable.

Morgana let me go after that one S Link rank with Ryuji, I think? You can get some SP when training at the gym, I suppose.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

They don't like that you can date her, or they don't like it in general?
It sounded like they were saying both to me. They feel Joker has too much power over Kawakami- they contrast this with the Doctor who they felt had a more equal relationship. They also think it plays weird with the context of the game opening with the Kamoshida stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Raxivace posted:

It sounded like they were saying both to me. They feel Joker has too much power over Kawakami- they contrast this with the Doctor who they felt had a more equal relationship. They also think it plays weird with the context of the game opening with the Kamoshida stuff.

They aren't wrong.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It definitely draws contrast to Kamoshida and Ann, even if it's so insistent on Becky being a different person from Kawakami. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're talking about the same Doctor Who whose "friends" are all "assistants"? Who is the sole person who owns the god-drat time machine so you best keep your rear end in line if you don't want abandoning in 1208? 'cos the base concept of Doctor Who is un-salvageable in terms of creating a reasonable power dynamic, never mind balanced.

'cos Persona 5 isn't perfect by any stretch but if anything regarding Doctor Who is your go to counter argument...

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Raxivace posted:

It'd work better if Kawakami worked out that Joker was a Phantom Thief from the beginning (it wouldn't be hard, Ryuji is shouting it every 5 minutes or so), then their shared secret keeping is somewhat more equal.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The doctor as in Takemi. the doctor in this game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

We're talking about the same Doctor Who whose "friends" are all "assistants"? Who is the sole person who owns the god-drat time machine so you best keep your rear end in line if you don't want abandoning in 1208? 'cos the base concept of Doctor Who is un-salvageable in terms of creating a reasonable power dynamic, never mind balanced.

'cos Persona 5 isn't perfect by any stretch but if anything regarding Doctor Who is your go to counter argument...
No, the doctor in Persona 5. I just couldn't remember her name.

My apologies for the confusion.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Who would win in a fight, Doctor Who or the Phantom Thieves

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I too get upset about make believe relationships in a video game.

The loving contract you sign at the beginning of these games does have a "No" option, you know.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just swinging in and looking at absolutely nothing to comment that (near the end spoilers) I spent basically the whole game thinking the writers were extremely sloppy at telegraphing their twists and were giving way too much away with Shido, the SIU director, how obvious it was you had started the game in Sae's palace and so on, then Akechi turns on you and I was genuinely caught off-guard. So, good job there!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

No, the doctor in Persona 5. I just couldn't remember her name.

My apologies for the confusion.

Bae Takemi

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Count Bleck posted:

The loving contract you sign at the beginning of these games does have a "No" option, you know.

What are you talking about

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are you talking about

What, people getting upset over relationships in a video game or the This is a Work of Fiction contract you 'sign' to play?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can think fictional relationships can be hosed up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who would win in a fight, Doctor Who or the Phantom Thieves

The Doctor clearly, he's got two hearts :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Just swinging in and looking at absolutely nothing to comment that (near the end spoilers) I spent basically the whole game thinking the writers were extremely sloppy at telegraphing their twists and were giving way too much away with Shido, the SIU director, how obvious it was you had started the game in Sae's palace and so on, then Akechi turns on you and I was genuinely caught off-guard. So, good job there!

R...really? That's the part that surprised you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 'teacher/student relationships are kinda weird' thing is whatever but joker doesnt really have any power over her, as illustrated by her conking the gently caress out on his bed at every opportunity. technically she's supposed to do whatever the person paying her says but the game makes a point of showing she doesnt stick to that part of the job, at least when joker is involved, so it's weird to act like there's some sort of power inequality there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

What, people getting upset over relationships in a video game or the This is a Work of Fiction contract you 'sign' to play?

Both really as neither makes much sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

the 'teacher/student relationships are kinda weird' thing is whatever but joker doesnt really have any power over her, as illustrated by her conking the gently caress out on his bed at every opportunity. technically she's supposed to do whatever the person paying her says but the game makes a point of showing she doesnt stick to that part of the job, at least when joker is involved, so it's weird to act like there's some sort of power inequality there.

Joker lets her do whatever she wants, Joker never really fights her.

There is a huge power inequality, whether she is lovely at her job or not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

I like it when she tells you to clean your room so she doesn't have to do a thing when she arrives :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

You can think fictional relationships can be hosed up

woah, drat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest she is lucky she got Joker the chilliest dude.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Like, Joker tells her he is a dad so I can't at all blame Kawakami for wanting him to be more responsible. She's gotta be Futaba's new stepmom so she can't be doing all the work here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GIVE
IN
TO
TEMPTATIOOOOOON

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Motto posted:

GIVE
IN
TO
TEMPTATIOOOOOON

who knows where the whims of fate may lead us

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Motto posted:

GIVE
IN
TO
TEMPTATIOOOOOON
First Frieza and now this. Villains get all the best songs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Like, Joker tells her he is a dad so I can't at all blame Kawakami for wanting him to be more responsible. She's gotta be Futaba's new stepmom so she can't be doing all the work here.

He is a dad.
To a beautiful and pushy sleepy boy called Morgana.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Kawakami's social link seems like you're paying her 5000 a pop to tell you all her problems.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He is a dad.
To a beautiful and pushy sleepy boy car called Morgana.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Futaba's Joker's sister not his daughter.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The teacher link itself is conceptually awesome and perfectly fits the tone of the game, the fact that she is capable of being seduced by Joker is dumb as hell

Count Bleck posted:

Settle down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Captain Oblivious posted:

R...really? That's the part that surprised you?

I mean there is definitely a twist that got me in this game (and it fuckin rules) but that one is telegraphed pretty hard, Crow is the sketchiest motherfucker in the world and the "pancakes" thing was so obvious I was sure dropping that hint had to be part of his grand plan somehow.