Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I'm surprised no-one's suggesting F/A-18s, the US ones ought to be going to the boneyard at around this time.

Edit: The legacy bugs, I mean.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Having listened to the briefing for Black Diamond, I'm slightly concerned that we're just going to throw up our hands and let the Bulgarians kick in our teeth if we can't handle the S-300. That seems like it may be a...very bad decision in the long run. I mean, not that feeding our planes to it is going to a good idea by any means

I mean, I agree with the overall plan, but having the contingency be 'refuse to engage and let our ground forces get crushed' if the S-33 plan doesn't work seems like it might be a terrible call. I just hope they've not stuck it in ambush.

If we find it, maybe we should send word to Jack so he can pass it to the Free State, I'm sure they might want to do something about it.

Assuming the whole Angolan project takes off, I wonder if they might be able to help us get a good procurement deal for jets? I mean in an ideal world, they could get a licence deal from the French or Swedes like what was offered to India to build their own Rafales or Gripens under licence so we would have our own direct line on 4th-gen multi-role jets (but I really doubt that's happening), but if we were to put in a good word with one of our suppliers, I wonder if they'd give us a finder's fee/discounts for getting them a contract. I imagine supplying an entire air force would be very lucrative...although obviously it would mean the Angolans probably got first pick of any stock.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
That list looks good. More cruise missiles, less problems.

Quinntan posted:

I'm surprised no-one's suggesting F/A-18s, the US ones ought to be going to the boneyard at around this time.

Edit: The legacy bugs, I mean.

As cool as the F/A-18 is, it's probably more cost effective to buy more Gripens. F/A-18s do have the option of carry HARMs and AMRAAMs of course.
If we could "aquire" an E/A-18 Growler or two, on the other hand.. :getin:

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

PenguinSalsa posted:

As cool as the F/A-18 is, it's probably more cost effective to buy more Gripens. However, F/A-18s do have the option to carry HARMs and AMRAAMs.
If we can get hold of an E/A-18 Growler or two, on the other hand.. :getin:

My dude, check out what the old Legacy Bugs can haul

USMC A+: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/4575/
USN C: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/977/
Notable weapons: AIM-120D, Super HARM, stand-off cluster munition dispensers, air-launched decoys, Paveways & JDAMs, napalm, ridiculous Harpoons and SLAM-ERs

These things are loving monsters.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Quinntan posted:

My dude, check out what the old Legacy Bugs can haul

(snip)

These things are loving monsters.

loving monsters indeed. Good catch! (I was looking at the older versions..)
Slightly shorter radar range than the Gripens and likely far more expensive to buy and to fly, but those loadouts look amazing.
Huge radar/visual/IR signature though, especially compared to the Gripens.

(I'd still like to volunteer for hilarious failure SEAD duty if the Goons get more EW aircraft of course.)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

PenguinSalsa posted:

loving monsters indeed. Good catch! (I was looking at the older versions..)
Slightly shorter radar range than the Gripens and likely far more expensive to buy and to fly, but those loadouts look amazing.
Huge radar/visual/IR signature though, especially compared to the Gripens.

I've a sneaking suspicion that they'd be fairly cheap to buy, especially the A+s, as production of those ended in 1987.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The one issue with buying legacy Bugs or Super Bugs is that they've likely been rode hard and put away wet. Having a plane disintegrate under me because airframe fatigue finally caught up with it isn't my idea of a good time.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
We have a fleet of '70s Phantoms and '60s 105s, I don't think we are overly concerned with airframe lifespan. Besides, AMARG generally is pretty good about ensuring the aircraft they store are going to last for a while.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation Black Diamond commences in one hour. Prepare to man your planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVvRFlPxqg

Thank you Bac! I think I've got the mission down and that's helpful as well. I'll post some screenshots later showing critical points. The No-Fly Zone is really easy to do and will keep our people out of too much trouble. I hope.

I'm aiming for this evening to run it. If so I'll give some notice here and on Discord(s) to let you guys know. Per Tythas's request I'll be on YouTube.

Jack has expressed interest in returning to the fold, but, as he's a man of his word, he can't do that until his current contract is fulfilled.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I had to blitz through 400 posts :argh:

Well, if Tapco survives an another run, he'll make an another visit to Corporate Mandated Video Confession Room (Bulk Freight Container 55C9)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Jack has expressed interest in returning to the fold, but, as he's a man of his word, he can't do that until his current contract is fulfilled.

That's fair enough. It's good to know that if we hire him back he's not going to stab us in the back. And we have backchannel communication/potential intel with the Free state in the mean time, which is handy nonetheless. So if we wanted to leak positions of the Dictator's forces in the North to the Free State, we can do that now.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I wasn't joking about the F-104, man! I want one!

If we wind up with an F-104 it better be that insane VTOL one the Germans tried. Because clearly the problem with that airframe is it was just too safe.

PenguinSalsa posted:

If we could "aquire" an E/A-18 Growler or two, on the other hand.. :getin:

There were two available last time but they were like $90M each. I thought it was a waste but after watching that Prowler make an absolute fool of everything that looks at it with a decade or two older tech I am totally in on getting those if they show up again.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

Meanwhile, have the budget wishlist.

Given that Klaus and Petersen (and hopefully a few other suppliers) will be paying us a visit after this mission, here's a short-term wishlist.

In order of importance. Doing deep strikes in area defended by SAMs and AAA means we need standoff attack capability. Now, we only have two Tornadoes that can carry cruise missiles. We also need SEAD and electronic attack to make it safer for us to operate. We only have the Prowler and two Tornadoes that can carry radar-killing HARMS. Fighting bigger, better air forces means we need air superiority aircraft.

To fit these needs, I suggest we consider buying these aircraft. I've tried to rank them based on cost vs. benefit.

Standoff Strike
We should try to have 4-8 aircraft capable of stand-off attacks in our inventory at all times.

1. Tornado IDS (ex-Luftwaffe)
- Short-ranged radar (40 nm)
- No BVR missiles
-/+ MW-1 Anti-runway weapon (not standoff)
+ Already in inventory
+ Can carry HARM anti-radar missile.
+ Photo-recon capability
+ Buddy-tanking capability
+ Taurus KEPD 350P cruise missile (180 nm range)

2. F-15E Strike Eagle (or F-15K, F-15I, etc.)
- Expensive
- Limited numbers available
+ AESA radar (120 nm search range)
+ Sniper FLIR pod (52 nm ground search, 100 nm air search)
+ Dragon's Eye AESA surface search radar pod (200 nm ground search)
+ Long-ranged, good endurance
+ Four AIM-9X and four AIM-120D AMRAAMs in an air-to-air role
+ Eight JDAMs
+ Eight Small Diameter Bombs (60 nm range)
+ AGM-158A JASSM (215 nm range)

3. Israeli F-4E Phantom II Kurnass 2000
- No BVR missiles
- Only carries one Python 3 heat-seeking missile in air-to-ground loadouts
+100nm radar range (20nm longer than the Greek Phantoms)
+ On-board Defensive ECM + ECM pod
+ TV search camera with 40 nm range
+ Delilah cruise missile (150 nm range)
+ Popeye 3,000lb glide bomb (40 nm range)

4. Turkish F-4E Phantom II Terminator
- No BVR missiles
- Doesn't carry air-to-air missiles in air-to-ground loadouts
+ On-board Rapport III Defensive ECM + ECM pod
+ SOM A cruise missile (130 nm range)
+ Popeye 3,000lb glide bomb (40 nm range)

SEAD and Electronic Attack
I'd like to add at least one more SEAD and EW bird to our inventory. This gives us a buffer against losses and lets us run two simultaneous raids into defended airspace.

1. EA-6B Prowler
- Slow, can't keep up with faster strike aircraft
- Only carries one HARM anti-radar missile
- Short-ranged
+ Good range and endurance
+ Carries up to five jamming pods

2. EA-18G Growler
- Expensive (~$95 million)
- Limited range and endurance
+ Can carry AMRAAMs
+ Carries up to four modern jamming pods
+ Carries more advanced AGM-88E AARGM anti-radar missiles.

Multirole Fighters
These aircraft need to do air superiority work, carry standoff weapons and do SEAD work (which is what makes the Super Hornet so appealing, since it can do all three really well).
At the High End, we have the 4.5th generation fighters.

Gripens are like a Volvo: affordable, capable, and a good-all rounder. Super Hornets and F-16s are Ford V8s. They don’t look like much, but they can carry a shitload of really potent stuff. Rafales are Cadillacs: full of high-end gadgets, but pricey.

1. JAS 39 Gripen C
- No cruise missiles
- No AESA radar
+ Already in inventory
+ Photo-recon capability
+ Meteor air-to-air missiles (75 nm range)
+ RB 15 anti-shipping missiles
+ Eight Small Diameter Bombs (60 nm range)

2. F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet
- Limited range. Forced to carry external fuel, which reduces kinematic performance.
+ Option to buy/rent them from the US Navy or Boeing (what Australia is doing now)
+ AESA radar (120 nm range)
+ Recon pod
+ Four ADM-160C MALD decoy drones (500 nm range)
+ Up to six AIM-120D AMRAAMs
+ Four Maverick anti-tank missiles (8 nm range)
+ Four 2,000 lb Paveway bombs (8 nm range)
+ Six JDAMs (12 nm range)
+ Can carry up to four advanced AGM-88E AARGM anti-radar missiles (70 nm range)
+ AGM-154A JSOW (45 nm range)
+ Eight Small Diameter Bombs (8 nm range)
+ AGM-84K SLAMER (150 nm range)
+ AGM-158C LRASM (430 nm range)

3. Rafale C (Assuming French and Indian aircraft are similar)
- Limited number for sale
- Expensive (~$60 million)
+ Available from India (could get a friends-and-family discount) or could buy Rohan's aircraft.
+ AESA radar (140 nm range)
+ IR search and track (100 nm range)
+ IR recon pods
+ MICA air-to air missiles (45 nm range)
+ Meteor air-to-air missiles (75 nm range)
+ Six 500lb Paveway laser-guided bombs (and can still carry two Meteors!)
+ Six Hammer GPS-guided bombs (35 nm range) [Rohan used these to bomb the hotel]
+ SCALP EG cruise missile (215 nm range)

4. F-16CM Block 42 Viper (also consider the Korean KF-16C, the Japanese F-2, the Taiwnese Ching-kuo, or other exported F-16s)
- No AESA radar
- Limited Range
- Unknown availability (FBLM may have some ex-National Guard examples)
+ Four AMRAAMs
+ Four ADM-160B MALD decoy drones (500 nm range)
+ Two HARM anti-radar missiles
+ Four 500 pound Paveways or JDAMs
+ AGM-158A JASSM (215 nm range)

Quinntan posted:

F/A-18Cs are also a good choice, if we can't get Super Hornets. They have most of the same capability (minus the AESA radar and with a smaller payload).

At the Low End, we have modern and modernized 3rd and 4th generation Fighters. The Mirages are the best option, but a little pricey. The Colombian Kfirs are affordable, but are going to be confined pretty much to strike work. The F-50s could mature into good fighters, if they get that AMRAAM upgrade soon (someone bug Baloogan and get them in the DB!)

1. Mirage 2000H-5
- Limited payload
- Limited radar (80 nm search)
- Limited range
+ Chance of a friends-and-family discount from India
+ Mica medium-range missiles (45 nm range)
+ Two 1,000 kg laser-guided bombs (4 nm)
+ Four Durandal anti-runway bombs
+ ARMAT anti-radar missile (50 nm range)

2. Kfir
- No BVR missiles
+ Could steal (or buy) from the Free State
+ SPICE 1,000 lb GPS-guided bomb (35 nm range)
+ Opher 500 lb guide bomb (2 nm range)

3. F-50 Golden Eagle
- Short range
- Limited Payload
+ Two JDAMs
+ two Maverick Missiles

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 26, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Operation: Cat Farce One

Presumably the Free State is close to getting the funding secured for the dozen Kfir fighters from Columbia. If the Free State is anything like most overextended crowdfunded abominations then their ambitions have likely stretched their logistical train and left them vulnerable and porous. This could be an opportunity for us to not only destabilize a significant long term threat, but also provide ourselves with a cheap supply of multirole jets. The price of a dozen Kfirs is around $60M, so allocating a significant sum to this effort might be worthwhile. It's mostly labor and whatever tradecraft is needed to get a solid background for all the applicants.

Step 1: Procurement
The first step in the operation is to infiltrate the volunteer effort focusing on the procurement. An organization that has no problem declaring their intent to procure military aircraft on the Internet likely doesn't have much in the way of background checks, and we could potentially enlist Ambramoff in order to get them up and running. Our goal at this stage is to provide the people willing to do the "boring" work of filling out paperwork, providing human resourcing, interviewing candidates, and basically being the helpful but invisible people who get things done. With this information we can do two things. First, we can get a clear picture of the fighters and how they're being transported. Second, we can ensure that only pilots we select are flying.

Step 2: Transition
Once our pilots are selected and we know the location of the aircraft, we move to intercept. Ideally we move the fighters before they're even in Angola and fly them directly to our own bases, since presumably the fighters will be coming from somewhere outside the country and the Free State will have to provide the pilots to get these craft into a war zone. As a backup plan we position the fighters thanks to the Power of Logistics in a location preferable to us (Lunda Sul).

Step 3: Misdirection
We take the craft and leave evidence behind that implicates the Chinese, who are clearly suspicious of the Free State's motives and cannot handle the possibility of a purely free society. If the fighters aren't able to be taken before they reach Angola then instead we fly them over Zambia. Worst case scenario we get caught and the Zambians are pissed at the Free State for violating their airspace. Okay, technically worst case scenario the Zambians blow up the planes but maybe we can send some bribes in the right direction so that the Zambians can see the fighters moving but neglect to actually shoot them.

This is brilliant. Really, really hope there's a way to make this happen.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

power crystals posted:

If we wind up with an F-104 it better be that insane VTOL one the Germans tried. Because clearly the problem with that airframe is it was just too safe.

There were two available last time but they were like $90M each. I thought it was a waste but after watching that Prowler make an absolute fool of everything that looks at it with a decade or two older tech I am totally in on getting those if they show up again.

Airwarfare is definitely an area where a small advantage in capability just snowballs out of control.

We absolutely need more EWAR and SEAD

Given Growlers and the various F15 and F18s are fantastically expensive the answer is more tornados more prowlers and more Grippens unless we get hugely discount pricing.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

Jack has expressed interest in returning to the fold, but, as he's a man of his word, he can't do that until his current contract is fulfilled.[/b]

That's reasonable. Can he provide us with the bids of any other groups who may be offering contracting services so we can undercut them and make sure that our people are the ones providing logistics? That way it's impossible to implicate him directly (since all he does is facilitate contact with other people, and after all the Free Staters and the FREE MARKET decided which contractor would take the job). Universal Pilot Services would be perfect for the job!

ORIGINAL LOGO DO NOT STEAL!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

At the Low End, we have modern and modernized 3rd and 4th generation Fighters. The Mirages are the best option, but a little pricey. The Colombian Kfirs are affordable, but are going to be confined pretty much to strike work. The F-50s could mature into good fighters, if they get that AMRAAM upgrade soon (someone bug Baloogan and get them in the DB!)

I don't think the Indians are in a position to sell anything, so I'd doubt we could buy either their Rafales or Mirages. Speaking of Mirages though, there's a few options that may still be out there.

Ex-Greek Mirage 2000EG Mk 2
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=1116
Hoiks a single SCALP EG ALCM, insane range but it's only the one. Also has MICAs for days

Ex-Greek F-16C Blk 52+
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3460
Look at those Spice 2000s. Man those are cool. Also JSOWs, Mjolnirs and CFTs, so longer time on station if working CAP. However, if we bought these we'd probably want another boom tanker.

Moroccan Mirage F.1EM
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3153
It's a budget Mirage 2000, basically. Carries a pair of 500lb guided bombs with rocket motors attached, so cheap standoffish capability.

Ex-RAF Tornado GR.4A
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3811
Unfortunately the Baloogan link won't work for me, but IIRC these carry a silly number of Brimstones.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 26, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Operation: Cat Farce One

Presumably the Free State is close to getting the funding secured for the dozen Kfir fighters from Columbia. If the Free State is anything like most overextended crowdfunded abominations then their ambitions have likely stretched their logistical train and left them vulnerable and porous. This could be an opportunity for us to not only destabilize a significant long term threat, but also provide ourselves with a cheap supply of multirole jets. The price of a dozen Kfirs is around $60M, so allocating a significant sum to this effort might be worthwhile. It's mostly labor and whatever tradecraft is needed to get a solid background for all the applicants.

Step 1: Procurement
The first step in the operation is to infiltrate the volunteer effort focusing on the procurement. An organization that has no problem declaring their intent to procure military aircraft on the Internet likely doesn't have much in the way of background checks, and we could potentially enlist Ambramoff in order to get them up and running. Our goal at this stage is to provide the people willing to do the "boring" work of filling out paperwork, providing human resourcing, interviewing candidates, and basically being the helpful but invisible people who get things done. With this information we can do two things. First, we can get a clear picture of the fighters and how they're being transported. Second, we can ensure that only pilots we select are flying.

Step 2: Transition
Once our pilots are selected and we know the location of the aircraft, we move to intercept. Ideally we move the fighters before they're even in Angola and fly them directly to our own bases, since presumably the fighters will be coming from somewhere outside the country and the Free State will have to provide the pilots to get these craft into a war zone. As a backup plan we position the fighters thanks to the Power of Logistics in a location preferable to us (Lunda Sul).

Step 3: Misdirection
We take the craft and leave evidence behind that implicates the Chinese, who are clearly suspicious of the Free State's motives and cannot handle the possibility of a purely free society. If the fighters aren't able to be taken before they reach Angola then instead we fly them over Zambia. Worst case scenario we get caught and the Zambians are pissed at the Free State for violating their airspace. Okay, technically worst case scenario the Zambians blow up the planes but maybe we can send some bribes in the right direction so that the Zambians can see the fighters moving but neglect to actually shoot them.

We'll talk about this some more after the mission. Jack, our Man in Angola, Abramof might be up for some shenanigans. Up until a few weeks ago he thought a kickstarter was what you do to get midgets to fight.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Plan G:
Growlers
Grippens

If we buy all the available Growlers, we give Gripens permissible environment to grip pens.

I Tapco is likely married to the Su-25 until they both turn into a rapidly descending ball of flaming debris, so I don't feel like promoting the buy of any dangerously unsafe dream planes, like Pimp My Mig-23s, Mi-8Ts, Super Hinds or An-2 With A Vickers In The Doors.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Bacarruda posted:

1. Tornado IDS (ex-Luftwaffe)
- Short-ranged radar (40 nm)
- No BVR missiles
-/+ MW-1 Anti-runway weapon (not standoff)
+ Already in inventory
+ Can carry HARM anti-radar missile.
+ Photo-recon capability
+ Taurus KEPD 350P cruise missile (180 nm range)

We should probably try to get the RAF version as they have ALARMs which are Extremely Cool and Good, and while they don't have the Taurus they do have the Storm Shadow which is equally capable and has a cooler name.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Quinntan posted:

I don't think the Indians are in a position to sell anything, so I'd doubt we could buy either their Rafales or Mirages. Speaking of Mirages though, there's a few options that may still be out there.

I figured if Rohan had got her hands on some Rafales, I figured we could cash on some goodwill and try and get some Rafales, too. Maybe spin it as "combat testing in a jungle environment"" or something.

Klaus and Petersen had some Indian Mirages for sale last time.

Quinntan posted:

Ex-RAF Tornado GR.4A
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3811
Unfortunately the Baloogan link won't work for me, but IIRC these carry a silly number of Brimstones.

The RAF Tornadoes are glorious. Twelve Brimstones (16 nm range). Up to two Storm Shadow Cruise missiles with a 215nm range.

Recon pod, too. But ALARM has been retired.

Quinntan posted:

Ex-Greek Mirage 2000EG Mk 2
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=1116
Hoiks a single SCALP EG ALCM, insane range but it's only the one. Also has MICAs for days

Exocets, too! But no other weapons, alas.

Quinntan posted:

Ex-Greek F-16C Blk 52+
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3460
Look at those Spice 2000s. Man those are cool. Also JSOWs, Mjolnirs and CFTs, so longer time on station if working CAP. However, if we bought these we'd probably want another boom tanker.

Pretty much any Block 40+ Viper is worth looking at. The HARMs, precision weapons, and AMRAAMs are all fantastic.

Wish the Greek birds had anti-shipping missiles, but I guess that's what the Gripens are for.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 26, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

I figured if Rohan had got her hands on some Rafales, I figured we could cash on some goodwill and try and get some Rafales, too. Maybe spin it as "combat testing in a jungle environment"" or something.

I think what happened with her is that she stole those Rafales when she got the sack.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Bacarruda posted:

Pretty much any Block 40+ Viper is worth looking at. The HARMs, precision weapons, and AMRAAMs are all fantastic.

Wish the Greek birds had anti-shipping missiles, but I guess that's what the Gripens are for.

Honestly an F-16A with the midlife upgrade is a good purchase too. Sure, aging airframes and all, but we field Frogfoots and Tornadoes, so that shouldn't be a problem. I would imagine an A MLU is way cheaper than a newer C or higher.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We could get Rafales on the cheap by going to the French and telling them we could be a flying advertisement for them, especially when their PR likely took a hit from the Indians losing 30 of them in an afternoon. IRL, the French have had trouble getting sales when going up against the American and Russian colossi, so they could use an example of what they have to offer an air force that can't afford or aren't trusted enough for the best American/Russian stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation Black Diamond commences in one hour. Prepare to man your planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVvRFlPxqg

Tythas posted:

here is the optimal version of the Briefing with music

Please never stop doing these.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

power crystals posted:

This is the acquisition choice I am saltiest over. I pushed hard for that EA-18. Better EW, better load out, and fast as a fighter jet all for 30m more than the prowler. At the time we said, "we'll never encounter s300's or s400's, we don't need better EW gear, let's go real downmarket on this one." And I said not to go downmarket on EW stuff, oh yes I did.

But noooo, don't listen to Cathode, Cathode's crazy. Cathode wants ballistic missiles. Cathode thinks whales are people. Cathode can't be trusted with EW decisions, because Cathode flies a lovely old Phantom he's not cool like the Gripen pilots I could fly a Gripen too, you monsters, I would be just as good as you lot. :argh:

One day I'm gonna get that EA-18 and I'm gonna fly off with it into the sunset, and you won't know which way I've gone because all your radars will be jammed. One day I'm gonna get out of this outfit and I'm gonna fly straight to the Bering Strait and I'm gonna be the first and last Human president of earth.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
At the time we said "how loving much?!"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Sandman posted:

We could get Rafales on the cheap by going to the French and telling them we could be a flying advertisement for them, especially when their PR likely took a hit from the Indians losing 30 of them in an afternoon. IRL, the French have had trouble getting sales when going up against the American and Russian colossi, so they could use an example of what they have to offer an air force that can't afford or aren't trusted enough for the best American/Russian stuff.

Weeeeeeeeeeelllll, depending on what Yooper decides to canonize from the mountain of PMCs I invented, the French will be pretty well covered on Rafael advertisement. :france:

But we should still get Rafaels because they're awesome planes and look badass.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
A Growler is an "if we can afford one great, if not we have to make do with a Prowler" purchase.

If it's a choice between just getting the Growler or getting the Prowler and another plane besides, we need the option with the extra airframe.

Should the Great Plane Robbery work out, though, we can probably sell a few of the Kfirs to raise cash for a Growler.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quinntan posted:

I think what happened with her is that she stole those Rafales when she got the sack.

Considering the rash of PMCs and the fact that governments are happily paying hundreds of millions of dollars for them, and that they're branching into being real mini-airforces and armies? I'm gonna say desertion and theft of military equipment is going to be a huge and constant issue for national armies in this wild near future.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Night10194 posted:

Considering the rash of PMCs and the fact that governments are happily paying hundreds of millions of dollars for them, and that they're branching into being real mini-airforces and armies? I'm gonna say desertion and theft of military equipment is going to be a huge and constant issue for national armies in this wild near future.

Imagine the cost savings. I bet this world has universal health care and free ice cream for everyone. And less UFC fans, since they all shipped off to fight in some godforsaken jungle for what seemed like a lot of money before the hummingbirds started pecking their eyes out.

And besides, as long as you maintain a reasonable core of AAA fighter/SAM tech, you should be able to dissuade any serious problems.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Sandman posted:

Yeah, as I mentioned upthread, it usually seems like the Swedes/French have offered to potential purchasers in the past 'if you go with us, we'll even set you guys up with your own factory to make your own!'. If Angola gets one of those offers, I say we tell them to take it - not only will it give them additional independence from foreign suppliers (and bolster their economy), we could literally have our own production line (more or less) of 4th-gen jets, as long as we don't become international pariahs or something. Well, after they've supplied their own air force, of course.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeelllll, depending on what Yooper decides to canonize from the mountain of PMCs I invented, the French will be pretty well covered on Rafael advertisement. :france:

But we should still get Rafaels because they're awesome planes and look badass.

Are you free to share some PMC backgrounds? Not necessarily their force compositions, but would be cool to see who else is out there.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Are you free to share some PMC backgrounds? Not necessarily their force compositions, but would be cool to see who else is out there.

Not yet! Jimmy can share the fluff, but I'd like to keep the comps secret. Mainly because I'll probably tweak them depending on whether we comedy-loss all of our planes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Could we see the templates for the ones that have gotten used so far? I'd be kind of interested in brainstorming some ideas.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, as I mentioned upthread, it usually seems like the Swedes/French have offered to potential purchasers in the past 'if you go with us, we'll even set you guys up with your own factory to make your own!'. If Angola gets one of those offers, I say we tell them to take it - not only will it give them additional independence from foreign suppliers (and bolster their economy), we could literally have our own production line (more or less) of 4th-gen jets, as long as we don't become international pariahs or something. Well, after they've supplied their own air force, of course.

Actually, no, that isn't true, at least for the Swedes. That's likely down to the very close ties between various American arms companies and Saab. Look at the fate of the Viggen, whose export to India got blocked because of the American engine. The French though, they give zero fucks whatsoever. Look at the mountains of poo poo they've sold the Taiwanese, for example. There's a fair amount of Yank stuff, true, but the Yanks at least try to not sell the most whizzbang stuff.

Our new MQ-9 makes these adorable little things a really neat option too. When you compare what these are capable of compared to our Hawks or Sk60s, it's pretty nuts what the Kiwis did with what is essentially a 1950s attack jet.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=191

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 26, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cathode Raymond posted:

This is the acquisition choice I am saltiest over. I pushed hard for that EA-18. Better EW, better load out, and fast as a fighter jet all for 30m more than the prowler. At the time we said, "we'll never encounter s300's or s400's, we don't need better EW gear, let's go real downmarket on this one." And I said not to go downmarket on EW stuff, oh yes I did.

But noooo, don't listen to Cathode, Cathode's crazy. Cathode wants ballistic missiles. Cathode thinks whales are people. Cathode can't be trusted with EW decisions, because Cathode flies a lovely old Phantom he's not cool like the Gripen pilots I could fly a Gripen too, you monsters, I would be just as good as you lot. :argh:

One day I'm gonna get that EA-18 and I'm gonna fly off with it into the sunset, and you won't know which way I've gone because all your radars will be jammed. One day I'm gonna get out of this outfit and I'm gonna fly straight to the Bering Strait and I'm gonna be the first and last Human president of earth.

It's cool we can be procurement salt bros since I was so angry about the lack of Phantoms. I still believe in a two tier air force - Gripens and Growlers and what have you for door kicking and then Phantoms and Aardvarks and Frogfeet to bust up ground elements. Nobody needs fifth-gen anything to drop a 2000lb laser-guided bomb onto a T55. Let the older cheaper stuff do that. The Tornadoes are a weird middle ground but I aint complaining, they're cool.
And when you do fly off into the sunset I can still gorgon stare the poo poo out of you as you leave :cool:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I'm going to object to the F111s because there ain't none left ;_;

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We're getting lots of OSINT on the Bulgarian build up of armor. Some nasty looking T-72's. Possible we have more Tunguska mixed in too, but it's hard to tell from the grainy video. The Bulgarians are some grim looking bastards.

Free State Subreddit is just a big discussion about the merits of different fursuits, Randian philosophy, and a new vape pen. I won't bother to share it, the relevant stuff to us is on the second page anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

power crystals posted:

The Tornadoes are a weird middle ground but I aint complaining, they're cool.

The Tornadoes are dispensers for some really excellent standoff capability that we don't get from the low end strike force being built around dispensing laser guided bombs like goddamn candy.

To think, if we'd bought the phantoms the first time, we could've focused on the tornadoes with the second buy, and we wouldn't have dumb subsonic things.