Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
You can also three box on p2002 which is super nice. People are still cool and usually more than happy to drop one of their chars from a group so it's no problem if you decide to single box. Community is pretty good, lot of niceties like PoK, Bazaar, etc. Raid scene is very cool, only a few higher-end raid guilds and they all seem to be cool with each other so there's no toxic raid scene like P99. Double exp weekends make leveling a breeze, I've taken a few of my alts from 1-50 over the course of a single double xp weekend not even playing hardcore. Just twinking and PLing with my other boxes casually.

Overall I've basically stopped raiding on P99 and almost stopped logging on entirely in favor of P2002. Population should go up quite a bit shortly here when SoL gets released. If you're a stickler for time/era accurate content, no boxing, oldschool hardcore grind fest type atmosphere like P99 then it might not be for you. But if you want something a bit more casual, less time involved, arguably more fun/friendly type atmosphere then its highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
Go to TAKP instead of 2002. Uses the classic client instead of Titanium, is tied in with EQEmu, and is way more polished. Content is just released a little slower. https://www.takproject.net/

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd really really love to see a modern MMO with modern graphics and modern design systems but a bit more like original EQ, a bit more sandbox and hardcore and punishing than WoW. And it seems even lots of WoW's fans want that since they're setting up vanilla WoW servers like Nostalrius.

But MMOs being as expensive as they are to develop I doubt any publishers will take the chance. We'll get a few weirdo sandbox things like ARK and Conan where you run around naked, beating each other with sticks, and that's probably as close as I'll get to what I want.

:rip: Everquest Next

The funny part is that when they announced EQN they spent a decent amount of time saying 'We wanted to recreate that classic EQ experience, but when we went through our design docs we realized we were just mimicking EQ. So we threw it out and came up with this!!!!'

Then it loving crashed and burned and took whatever remnant of SOEs good name with it :lol:

Until indie dev teams start producing mmos we wont' see anything like a modern EQ. Pantheon is just another instance of McQuaid scamming people to fund his drug habit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sketched posted:

Go to TAKP instead of 2002. Uses the classic client instead of Titanium, is tied in with EQEmu, and is way more polished. Content is just released a little slower. https://www.takproject.net/

Aren't there like 10 people that play on there? (TAKP)

Also, pretty sure the game crashes OFTEN when zoning (or did when I tried it), classic client is lol and probably a host of other problems.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

MF_James posted:

Aren't there like 10 people that play on there? (TAKP)

Also, pretty sure the game crashes OFTEN when zoning (or did when I tried it), classic client is lol and probably a host of other problems.

I quit after 5 minutes because you can't use the mouse wheel to zoom out of first person view.

lame.

I wish more people played on these servers though. I wouldn't mind seeing some new zones.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Sketched posted:

TAKP has no population. The autist p99 dev Haynar is in charge of things. It uses a worse client that's more user unfriendly. Why would anyone play there if they want a more casual version of EQ?

Dirt posted:

I wish more people played on these servers though. I wouldn't mind seeing some new zones.

P2002 gets between 150-200 unique players a night, which equates to about 350 characters logged in prime time. It's pretty evenly split between single, double, and triple boxers.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Really don't need tiresome TAKP and P2002 dickwaving in here. Both projects are doing their thing and if people want to post honest personal experiences, that's cool. Otherwise, leave the embarrassing drama elsewhere.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

To be fair, haynar is terrible.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dirt posted:

I quit after 5 minutes because you can't use the mouse wheel to zoom out of first person view.

lame.

In my opinion, Live EQ is a great way to just check out some zones. The modern client is still lovely EQ, but has at least some modernization features that you'll expect - like mouse wheel scroll.

You can dust off an old character and romp around for free, or for a few days more, there's a free heroic character you can create (level 85 with gear). You could transfer one of those over to test as well and get double exp (only the latest expac is disabled). You can box free characters to your heart's content if that's your thing, or at least snag a merc and do things.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah hurry up and log in to any account you have and claim a free Heroic character. Then create a Bard and zoom around the old world with super run speed, levitation and tracking, and kill old bosses and named mobs you run into. Tons of fun.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

The mouselocking thing on TAKP is fixed pending test. Please give it another try once its released.

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
Population on TAKP is on par with p2002. Tons of work has been done on the client and netcode, it is a lot more stable then when the server first launched. Mouse is freed from the EQ Window as of a new update by Secrets. http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started. No scrollwheel is part of the charm. The abilities of the client directly impact the game experience.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Respect the op and stop posting about your abortion of an EQ emulator.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seriously, jesus.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

You inspired me!

I completely burnt out on p1999 as a result of the many, many cycles of Puppets that robe took. worth.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Ugh Verina Tomb popped an hour after I went to bed and was up for 45 minutes. Plenty of time to murder her face, and because I'm surrounded by euros I'm sure it could have been managed. Oh well. Try, try again.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

shirunei posted:

You inspired me!

I completely burnt out on p1999 as a result of the many, many cycles of Puppets that robe took. worth.

Good job man! Deffo a rare robe.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Fangthane posted:

Ugh Verina Tomb popped an hour after I went to bed and was up for 45 minutes. Plenty of time to murder her face, and because I'm surrounded by euros I'm sure it could have been managed. Oh well. Try, try again.

Wand of Allure + Reaper of the Dead and you can most definitely solo Verina at level 60. Just gotta get her slowed. Her resists aren't terribly high, though.

Charm this guy: https://wiki.project1999.com/Draan_N%60Ryt

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

shirunei posted:

You inspired me!

Looking great, as an enchanter should. I'm inspired but quite a ways off (if you consider 52 a ways off).

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

faulteroy posted:

Wand of Allure + Reaper of the Dead and you can most definitely solo Verina at level 60. Just gotta get her slowed. Her resists aren't terribly high, though.

Charm this guy: https://wiki.project1999.com/Draan_N%60Ryt

If I were in that situation I would have tried. I was more lamenting my bad fortune regarding her spawn, as I was just sitting there for two hours before watching LP's then decided to sleep to go on a raid the next day that never happened. What to allure wands go for these days anyway?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Hey goon that soloed a rogue to 60, would you mind posting where you did it 50+? I finally got my warrior and bard to 60 and am looking for something to do in between raids.

Aoe-ing KC on my bard was hella fun. 54-60 went by pretty quickly.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Pratan posted:

Hey goon that soloed a rogue to 60, would you mind posting where you did it 50+?

I ripped this off my old Twitch channel journal:

Level 49-54 Dreadlands killing occasional blues and greens that give exp (light blues). Hitting level 50 opened up better innate hp regen and also allowed me to use blood points for the siphon effect (80 HP life drain). These are important to my ability to solo, and even allow me to kill low blue mobs pretty consistently.

Level 54-56 Ocean of Tears killing Seafury Cyclops. This was a camp I had to take up in order to save up enough money for a fungi tunic. It took me roughly 7 weeks to save up enough plat. I also stayed here to earn money for other expensive armor items (ie Matchless Dragonleg Breeches, Silver Chitin Wristband, etc).

57 The Wakening Land killing Tar Goos.

58-60 The Wakening Land killing Tar Goos (some still blue even at level 59). South Qeynos bank guards Dun and Eragon(?) (bye bye Banker faction). Geonids in Wakening Land.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
didn't take too long, but was certainly annoying worrying about certain quest parts. got my 47 SK(now 49) his epic. Just sitting semi afk in the hole during the undead part getting the ghost of glohnor to spawn was like 4-6% a kill and we didn't even go out of out way to kill morethen needed. I guess it has felt that away on EQ for every quest i do that i have -never- done before. Lots of hesitiation, re looking back, asking others who have done it. then when you finally do it its basically like oh wow that was simple. pretty much like how I can solo ring 1-8 on my 55 druid. and most of the other class epics i know by heart and are no issue. now that I have done SK epic fully its a joke, Picked up a few extra cell keys just for future use, and so i can get another earring to wear. Don't need the BP as I have a bp from vindi, he is decently twinked but nothing amazingly geared like tons of no drop tov loots etc maybe eventually. just need 60% more to proc the epic, Plan on stopping at level 55 so i can use unholy aura disc + HT for an easy 900ish+ damage on top oflife leech 200 dmg and use whatever lifetaps/spells I have to land for extra damage along side my 2h swings.

Definitely looking forward to looting either Soul Defiler or Frostwrath since they appear to be the 2 bis 1h weapons for knights ratio wise and stats. Plus if I had soul defiler I could take my wizards extra AoN off my SK(hes a troll fatty), when I did the magelo creations if I had been a dark elf I probably would have had about 400 more base mana which I think ide rather take troll hp regen any day for pvp. another level or so or possibly even know and i can get back to grouping and tanking the CoM mobs or solb mobs easier without them constantly hitting max damage on me like before when i was 8-9 levels lower. Once my epic procs, it should help a ton with group/soloing for heals and fungi. Having permanent VoG/C2/GoB makes me able to spam lifetaps indefinitely. another crap part is I can only spam lifetaps for 85 right now, but it goes great with a 2h casting inbetween swings while delay resets.

Stopping at 55 for pvp will be great, most casters cloth and priest around that level barely have 1k hp unbuffed, and maybe 1.2k self buffed. So I already figure disc HT for 700-850 damage, life leech ~200dmg, a slash/bash and a boil blood if it doesn;t kill them will surely make them run like hell or gate for zone. i am totally loving even self buffed, with just eyepatch of plunder I can get 2 bashes off per gate cast(6sec)

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I'm playing now, character name Essential, level 2 Barb Shaman on blue. I had forgotten how brutal this game was back in the day. I'm just kind of plodding along outside of Halas, not really going very far at this point. Not sure how long until I burn out, but having a decent time of it now.

I've never played a Barb or Shaman before this is a new experience. Looking forward to grouping up in Blackburrow. What level should I start heading there?

Another thing I can't figure out is how to view the stats on items? I try right clicking from my inventory and nothing happens, no pop up window. However, right click is working because if I click on food I immediately drink/eat it.

Edit: I may be starting over as an Enchanter...

Essential fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Sphear
Jan 13, 2011

Essential posted:

I'm playing now, character name Essential, level 2 Barb Shaman on blue. I had forgotten how brutal this game was back in the day. I'm just kind of plodding along outside of Halas, not really going very far at this point. Not sure how long until I burn out, but having a decent time of it now.

I've never played a Barb or Shaman before this is a new experience. Looking forward to grouping up in Blackburrow. What level should I start heading there?

Another thing I can't figure out is how to view the stats on items? I try right clicking from my inventory and nothing happens, no pop up window. However, right click is working because if I click on food I immediately drink/eat it.

Hold down right mouse botton on an item to view the stats on it. I've recently come back and restarted as a Erudite Wizard if you wanna group up sometime. I'm about to ditch the erudite area and head for queynos. Wizadi is my ingame name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Essential posted:

I'll toss you a guild invite and some plat...

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Sphear posted:

Hold down right mouse botton on an item to view the stats on it. I've recently come back and restarted as a Erudite Wizard if you wanna group up sometime. I'm about to ditch the erudite area and head for queynos. Wizadi is my ingame name.

I restarted as Essential the High Elf Enchanter. I'm in GFay now killing bats! Thanks for the tip on 'holding' down the mouse button. If we get the chance, I'll definitely group with you.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'll toss you a guild invite and some plat...

Thank you Zaphod42 for the guild invite, plat and buffs! I went on a killing spree around Gfay,. was super fun! Game is much harder than I remembered, but feels good. Fun to be back and reliving some old memories.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I started a halfling cleric named Saicrist for the exp bonus on blue. The community has been extremely positive compared to WoW and what I remember from live 15 years ago. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Sacrist65 posted:

I started a halfling cleric named Saicrist for the exp bonus on blue. The community has been extremely positive compared to WoW and what I remember from live 15 years ago. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Are racial EXP modifiers still intact? I know the wiki talks about class xp modifiers but they're not actually used it seems

edit: vvv well I just started up playin again and I'm playing a bard, so maybe that's why I'm thinking class xp mods are gone

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Race and class ones are still in.

The 40(?)% hybrid penalty is gone though.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Class no longer has any negative modifier on xp. There still exists a positive modifier for the warrior and rogue classes. Racial modifiers exist in both positive and negative form.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I recently reinstalled and cranked up my old accounts on eq2 and lotro and my god non of those after an hour or so on each has rekindled my passion for those games. When I played p99 after an hour or so I was hooked for a whole year. I need to reinstall p99 sometime. Original eq is unique and I will always come back to it. P99 that is, not eq live

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Why is it so hard to find someone selling a Child's tear? :(

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I recently reinstalled and cranked up my old accounts on eq2 and lotro and my god non of those after an hour or so on each has rekindled my passion for those games. When I played p99 after an hour or so I was hooked for a whole year. I need to reinstall p99 sometime. Original eq is unique and I will always come back to it. P99 that is, not eq live

I've tried to download the client twice and got a virus both times. I'd love a trip down memory lane but keep don't love reformatting.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

The bay of pirates has a copy of Titanium uploaded in 2007. This is what I've used for many years to connect to p1999 and never had any issues.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Have they ever said anything else about a new progression server? I enjoyed P99 when I played it last, but the hyper-twinked characters everywhere were a turn-off.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Dirt posted:

Why is it so hard to find someone selling a Child's tear? :(

In the old days, the broodling was an almost guaranteed spawn after killing a golem. Guilds had a lot of excess. After some patch, the spawn was reduced to near rare numbers. It's hard to even do what I did for my shissar head and bum along on a fear raid, because guilded shaman need it so much.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I need some tips/help on solo'ing as a now 12 enchanter. Goons have been incredibly gracious to me and I have really awesome gear plus got power leveled from 9 to 13, but I've since dropped back down into 12. I just cannot get charm killing down and can't seem to use my pet like I used to. There's something about this that is just not clicking with me. I've tried watching some youtube vid's but I just cannot get this to work. Getting groups has been a bit tedious and I now remember why I played a druid in classic (easy solo and moving around).

I can't remember the names of all the goon's who've helped me, so I'll just say thank you to all! You have definitely made coming back to EQ much more fun. I just hope I can get this enchanter down as I'm frustrated now and not sure how to continue.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Charming sucks till a little later. All the blue con mob levels at 12 are way too close to your own. Use an animation till 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Essential posted:

I need some tips/help on solo'ing as a now 12 enchanter. Goons have been incredibly gracious to me and I have really awesome gear plus got power leveled from 9 to 13, but I've since dropped back down into 12. I just cannot get charm killing down and can't seem to use my pet like I used to. There's something about this that is just not clicking with me. I've tried watching some youtube vid's but I just cannot get this to work. Getting groups has been a bit tedious and I now remember why I played a druid in classic (easy solo and moving around).

I can't remember the names of all the goon's who've helped me, so I'll just say thank you to all! You have definitely made coming back to EQ much more fun. I just hope I can get this enchanter down as I'm frustrated now and not sure how to continue.

Getting groups as an enchanter really shouldn't be hard.

As for cham killing, the ideal thing to do is find a pet that's like a blue con to you, charm it, then have it attack another mob of the same level (blue con) to where they're both down to like 10% hp. Then you finish off the target mob yourself with magic, so your charmed pet is left at 10%. Then you hide or cast invis or such in order to break the charm, and then you kill the charmed pet from 10% health easily. Then you med up and do the same thing again. Basically free double-kills.

Stack all the CHA you can to increase your chances of charming. The danger with charm fighting is if the charm breaks and both mobs are on you it can get hairy either trying to re-charm or run away. Ideally keep one or both mobs rooted, can't remember if enc gets root though?

You can do the same thing with white con mobs too but its far more risky, probably not viable till higher level.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 1, 2017