Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

How could a company be bad if they make such good miniatures? Say what you want about GW, but nobody can touch them in terms of quality

Tee hee. You keep being you, Hixson. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I expected the Lascannon to do more damage. Assuming that its still the go-to anti-armor standard, it means that a Dreadnought is always going to be able to absorb at least one shot before going down. I think that's probably for the best - its really frustrating to completely lose a big unit like that on turn one, and presumably if its down to 2 wounds it will weakened to reflect that.

Also interesting that they have nixed templates on flamers - I am guessing that's going to apply across the board and we'll see variable wounds for blast and large blast weapons as well? It's definitely a simpler way of handling it, and spares people fiddling with templates and debating on who is actually under/touched by them, but also means that positioning and spacing are overall less important.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well, might as well use the stuff from bolt action.

Bolt action actually went from xdx blast to templates again in 2nd edition for some reason.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

I expected the Lascannon to do more damage. Assuming that its still the go-to anti-armor standard, it means that a Dreadnought is always going to be able to absorb at least one shot before going down. I think that's probably for the best - its really frustrating to completely lose a big unit like that on turn one, and presumably if its down to 2 wounds it will weakened to reflect that.

Also interesting that they have nixed templates on flamers - I am guessing that's going to apply across the board and we'll see variable wounds for blast and large blast weapons as well? It's definitely a simpler way of handling it, and spares people fiddling with templates and debating on who is actually under/touched by them, but also means that positioning and spacing are overall less important.

That's one of the few changes I've seen from them so far that seems like it'll help speed things up, though--right now too much time gets spent making sure your whole army is 2" apart so they don't get housed by a template. Positioning may still be important, but spacing was only important because of the super-powerful weapons that cared about it.

The change also makes flamers more useful against smaller units, where you can hit models multiple times with the same shot.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ashcans posted:

Yeah. I think tomorrow's page is movement, so I'm hoping we'll see more about proper positioning then. I think it's better to reward unit by unit positioning rather than the awkward 2 inch space fiddling that was too common before, at least.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Teabag posted:

Rolling 290 dice to accomplish something is the reason I stopped playing guard. Buckets of dice is actually quite a tedious affair for everyone involved. I wonder what they've done to speed this aspect of the game up, as one of the main selling points of the new edition is reducing the playing time by more than half (from 3.5 hours to 90 mins).

Yeah I'll buy it about 4 months after I see it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

Well, might as well use the stuff from bolt action.

Bolt action actually went from xdx blast to templates again in 2nd edition for some reason.

Because they are fun and easy to use?

:smuggo:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hixson posted:

How could a company be bad if they make such good miniatures? Say what you want about GW, but nobody can touch them in terms of quality

If they made more models like that cool skelebro and less like the busy mess the more recent efforts I would agree. That's mostly personal astetic taste though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Because they are fun and easy to use?

:smuggo:

let's have a fight over the fact I saw you nudge that one dude "accidentally" after you saw me getting out the blast template to try and make sure he doesn't fit but look 1/10th of a mm of his base is totally under the template so he is hit you cheater

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

If they made more models like that cool skelebro and less like the busy mess the more recent efforts I would agree. That's mostly personal astetic taste though.

I think most GW models are just plain better than their competitors. There are some exceptions but you have to reach quite a bit

Leperflesh posted:

let's have a fight over the fact I saw you nudge that one dude "accidentally" after you saw me getting out the blast template to try and make sure he doesn't fit but look 1/10th of a mm of his base is totally under the template so he is hit you cheater

You can't design a game around how people cheating...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

You can't design a game around how people cheating...

You can recognize that precise to-the-mm positioning in a game played on a table where people have arms and elbows is just asking for fights and cheating accusations. Make precise positioning less important and you have a game that is better designed for the environment in which it is played.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, this--his point was that you wouldn't try to use lasrifles to take down a dreadnought because of how difficult it is, so being *able* to wound one with small arms fire isn't as big a deal as it looks

you don't *have* to roll 290 dice, and in fact, you shouldn't

It does mean that you could weaken something with heavy weapons and try to take it down with small arms fire, though.

During my gamed in 40K, shooting a Landraider to death with Las guns wasn't possible, so I didn't shoot my Las guns at them.

My point was that buckets of dice are a bad resolution mechanism especially when the chances of affecting the game state are so low. This is a huge time sink in the game and often results in no actual results. So I'm very curious how they will address this as it is one of the biggest ways to reduce game times form 3.5 hours to 90 minutes.

But they are also sticking with D6 as their base, so I wonder if any changes to how you resolve things on the table will be made. Other than the announced static WS and BS rolls.

E: the still clearly have at least three roll resolution with hit, wound, save being present on the stat lines.

Guess I answered my own question!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You can recognize that precise to-the-mm positioning in a game played on a table where people have arms and elbows is just asking for fights and cheating accusations. Make precise positioning less important and you have a game that is better designed for the environment in which it is played.

Soooo precise positioning makes precise positioning less important??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

Soooo precise positioning makes precise positioning less important??

so getting rid of template weapons is an improvement

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
^^^ This. Infinity also uses templates for a few weapons, and it's honestly one of the aspects of the game about which I am less enthusiastic. The only saving grace is that the Infinity rules are very explicit about how templates are placed/used, and there are fewer models on the table so disagreements are pretty rare.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Templates are fine for something like Shadow War or Infinity but dropping them in favor of randomized hits allocated to a target unit saves a lot of time and hassle for a larger-scale game. A little bit of abstraction can go a long way.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
*gets out a tape measure*
*picks a model in a unit*
*attempts to measure a 3" circle around it using flexible tape*

a better system with less arguing

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

^^

Does anybody think there's an appreciable difference between checking range with a tape measure and placing a plastic template down?

If you do I have bad news for you: You can play the .001" game with either.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wait is Leperflesh defending a GW rule decision and I'm attacking it? Hmmm

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Templates are fine for something like Shadow War or Infinity but dropping them in favor of randomized hits allocated to a target unit saves a lot of time and hassle for a larger-scale game. A little bit of abstraction can go a long way.

Yes.

It also means that the most precise positioning you normally need to do with a model is to within 1 of whatever is the measuring increment being used.

For example:

If all of the ranges and measurements your game calls for are in 1" increments, then you rarely have to fiddle over positioning someone more carefully than that. Say you're trying to get your archers to within their firing range of 7" of the enemy but you don't want to be 6" or closer because that's their charging range. OK, so you only have to position your archers somewhere inside that 7" to 6" gap. (And if you want to you can declare to your opponent that this is what you're doing, to remove any question.)

Say you're trying to make sure that next turn you'll be within range of an objective. Most likely you have to be within X whole inches, so you can make sure your model clearly is across that Xth inch and that's good enough.

Occasionally there will be edge cases where you need to be more careful. Maybe there's a gap just wide enough for you to stick a model so that he's not in charge range of two different enemy units on opposite sides of him, with a tiny fraction of an inch to spare on each side... that could happen and you'd now care more about precise positioning.

But normally while you maneuver on the board, you can nudge a guy an eighth of an inch by accident and it won't matter one bit.

Templates gently caress this up though. With a template, the exact precise position of every model that might be under the template matters. And so now if your enemy has ranged template weapons he can hit you with, you're loving around with unit coherency and terrain etc. trying to minimize how many models will be under the template, and your opponent has an interest in making sure you tow the line to within a mm. You can "accidentally" nudge a mini and suddenly your squad captain can't be under the template since it has to be positioned to cover as many models as possible and he's juuuuuust outside of that inclusive circle, or whatever.

It's not a huge deal and I'm fine playing good games like E:A that have templates. But they're not necessary, especially in a game that has formations or squads or whatever, because you can just use some randomizing factor to determine how many models in the formation are hit and you're good.

e. Yes, removing templates from 40k would be a good design decision, if whatever they use instead isn't worse somehow.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 27, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I figure it'd just be easiest to pick a unit with a model in range and then the attack affects that unit but I dunno how 8th ed is going to do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, you do maybe lose the ability to drop a template down so it covers the edges of two or more units? That's fun when you can manage it but I'm not convinced it's an essential part of wargaming or something.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't look at me, I see at a table and I think "hex map."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Don't look at me, I see at a table and I think "hex map."

Well yeah, haha.

A long tom hits a hex and all the hexes adjacent to it, right?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Yes.

It also means that the most precise positioning you normally need to do with a model is to within 1 of whatever is the measuring increment being used.

For example:

If all of the ranges and measurements your game calls for are in 1" increments, then you rarely have to fiddle over positioning someone more carefully than that. Say you're trying to get your archers to within their firing range of 7" of the enemy but you don't want to be 6" or closer because that's their charging range. OK, so you only have to position your archers somewhere inside that 7" to 6" gap. (And if you want to you can declare to your opponent that this is what you're doing, to remove any question.)

Say you're trying to make sure that next turn you'll be within range of an objective. Most likely you have to be within X whole inches, so you can make sure your model clearly is across that Xth inch and that's good enough.

Occasionally there will be edge cases where you need to be more careful. Maybe there's a gap just wide enough for you to stick a model so that he's not in charge range of two different enemy units on opposite sides of him, with a tiny fraction of an inch to spare on each side... that could happen and you'd now care more about precise positioning.

But normally while you maneuver on the board, you can nudge a guy an eighth of an inch by accident and it won't matter one bit.

Templates gently caress this up though. With a template, the exact precise position of every model that might be under the template matters. And so now if your enemy has ranged template weapons he can hit you with, you're loving around with unit coherency and terrain etc. trying to minimize how many models will be under the template, and your opponent has an interest in making sure you tow the line to within a mm. You can "accidentally" nudge a mini and suddenly your squad captain can't be under the template since it has to be positioned to cover as many models as possible and he's juuuuuust outside of that inclusive circle, or whatever.

It's not a huge deal and I'm fine playing good games like E:A that have templates. But they're not necessary, especially in a game that has formations or squads or whatever, because you can just use some randomizing factor to determine how many models in the formation are hit and you're good.

e. Yes, removing templates from 40k would be a good design decision, if whatever they use instead isn't worse somehow.

This is retarded. Positioning your models with a higher degree of precision than a drat inch isn't an "edge case". This comes up in literally every game of table top miniatures I've ever played. Shooting, movement, charging, ect. You're always toeing the line of almost being in range of something or visa versa

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

This is retarded. Positioning your models with a higher degree of precision than a drat inch isn't an "edge case". This comes up in literally every game of table top miniatures I've ever played. Shooting, movement, charging, ect. You're always toeing the line of almost being in range of something or visa versa

You mean all those GW games, right?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Seeing my hated foes the Lizardmen always is a good thing. It is always weird to me they never did a 40k army of Space Dinos.

Aren't these the Tyranids? I mean they're kind of space insect dinosaurs, but i'm sure I remember reading a White Dwarf article that said that dinosaurs were a big source of faction design inspiration, and there's even a bunch of 'Tyranno' in the faction and some unit names.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I play FW games too

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, well!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Let's make tabletop war gaming less about positioning. I have Leperflesh's unwavering support. Who else is in? Let's make a petition

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nitpicking: less about precise measurement. Tactical positioning (ex: I put my unit such that you can't charge it due to the intervening terrain) is obviously an essential factor of tabletop wargaming.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Well yeah, haha.

A long tom hits a hex and all the hexes adjacent to it, right?

Yeah, basically

I mean there's a lot that's time-consuming and fiddly about Battletech, a game whose core design, among other things, is stuck in the 80's. But the abstracted (and horrific) effects of, say, flamers on infantry isn't one of them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

"A few inches is just an edge case, baby, it's all about tactical positioning"

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So playing a game of millimeters is bad game design when applied to thing A, but not for thing B because one involves a clear plastic template.

I'm being trolled

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Nitpicking: less about precise measurement. Tactical positioning (ex: I put my unit such that you can't charge it due to the intervening terrain) is obviously an essential factor of tabletop wargaming.

I've never played a tabletop game that didn't have the occasional necessity for precise measurement.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Occasionally there will be edge cases where you need to be more careful. Maybe there's a gap just wide enough for you to stick a model so that he's not in charge range of two different enemy units on opposite sides of him, with a tiny fraction of an inch to spare on each side... that could happen and you'd now care more about precise positioning..

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

positioning is a pretty big deal in the non-GW games I've played. Hell, X-wing is super-precise about it, especially when you start doing poo poo like barrel rolls.

Xarbala posted:

I figure it'd just be easiest to pick a unit with a model in range and then the attack affects that unit but I dunno how 8th ed is going to do it.

We don't have any real info on how blast weapons will work yet. So far all they've shown is that flamers have gone from templates to "d6 automatic hits." Most of the discussion around how other template weapons ("blast" template weapons) is based on how Age of Sigmar does it, which might not be how 40k does it... there are more than a few differences so far. in AoS, they just replaced templates with hitting every model/unit within x inches of some target spot, which basically sounds like something you'd just as soon want a template for. That said, removing templates does give them the option of doing a wider range of Areas of Effect, instead of being locked into 3"/5"-diameter zones, but to Hixon's point, the precision of measuring a circle is bad and you'd really just want a template instead.

...Which is why I'm hoping they just keep those effects to a minimum and have blast weapons move to a certain number of hits against the target instead. Template weapons inadvertently create a lot of extra wasted time in 40k because they force players to space whole armies 2" apart when moving and prevent them from taking good advantage of cover because it's worse to take more hits than it is to lose the benefit of cover, so people spend a bunch of time positioning a bunch of cheap worthless models.

But just so we're clear, if they do keep shots that explode and hit an area of effect within x inches of a target spot, templates are a much better way to check this on the table than spinning a tape measure. I mean come on

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hixson posted:

:)

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
One of the more trod out debates in the Infinity community is whether you play "intent" or not. As Infinity has a reaction mechanism, where if your model moves into line of sight of mine, then I get a reaction. So some players will say "I'm going to move up to that corner as close as possible, without being seen". Then you help your opponent with his positioning ("Back just a little bit/ you can actually come forward a bit more" etc). When you're playing in a tournament, depending on the lengths of the rounds, you may not have the time to play with "intent" like this. So you just move your models where you want them to be, trying to do what you wanted to do such as only be seen by one model, or move up but not into LoS or whatever. If you have moved too far, oops you get shot at or whatever.

This is usually resolved before the game starts and then you go about having fun either way. Infinity is also the game I play/played that I think has the most at stake in terms of precise movements, but it also has well defined rules for what is visible and what is not. For example, every miniature has a defined silhouette projected from the base. So the more dynamic models are not penalized for cool poses. A certain amount of the silhouette must be visible for it to count as being visible.

As another poster said, there are templates in Infinity. I agree that they are one of the less fun part of the game, but I don't feel like they detract very much. The ranges for all guns are standardized and basically everyone is using the same range bands. So you you develop a pretty good eye for if you'll be shot by such and such a model if you move up to a certain location, and if you'll be in your optimum range and stuff.

The other cool thing is that like the new edition of 40K, the rules are free. Not sample rules like KoW, but the whole rule set and expansions. You buy the books if you want fluff/art. Otherwise enjoy your PDF on whatever device you want. Also a free online army list builder that links rules to a rules wiki, and a free mobile app if you don't have an internet connection at your friendly local games dungeon or whatever. WIth each rule book they move the story forward as well, so it's not like you're picking it up for the rules. You're doing it because you like to leaf through a book instead of ctrl +f on a pdf, and you want something to read on the bus ride to the game store or whatever. Basically, this safe guards against the situation of releasing Gathering Storm/The End Times and then invalidating all the rules that you bought that book for.

That's my post thanks for reading.

E: It shouldn't even really be a debate since CB has explicitly they don't intend for you to play with "intent". But it's an easy way to play and leads to fewer debates and very speedy, charitable play. So it works just as well either way. It's kind of like raising the difficulty on a video game, fun but not always necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TheChirurgeon posted:

positioning is a pretty big deal in the non-GW games I've played. Hell, X-wing is super-precise about it, especially when you start doing poo poo like barrel rolls.

Yeah I don't think this is a GW-specific problem, it's a very common (universal, even?) problem with free-move miniatures games.

e: It's definitely a problem that can be bigger or smaller though, and template weapons are a bad idea precisely because they make the problem bigger

• Locked thread