Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no need to have your Joker have high rank skills to cover those weaknesses your active party has either. If he's rocking a Persona with the first rank of every element, it's not going to hit hard, but it will score knockdowns and a SP Adhesive 3 covers the cost of all rank 1 spells. I.E If you want a Fire spell to knock down, Agi is probably better than Agilao for that purpose.

For trash fights, that's going to be a cost effective way of getting AOA's to outright win a fight.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

If you're not trying to 100% everything, there's no need to rush. Don't force yourself through a Palace in one day if it's not fun for you or if you're really struggling. The first Palace is honestly one of the hardest ones, too, so don't feel like it's always going to be like this.

For reference, I managed to max all of the confidant ranks by the end of the game with a couple days to spare and I was not at all playing super-efficiently and I didn't follow a guide. What I mean is that you can take a couple days per Palace no problem, especially if you're not aiming to max everything out in one run.

Yeah, just to add a few tips the game doesn't really make clear that can help a lot;

When you talk to a confidant you can earn extra points if you have a persona of the same arcana on you. So Chariot when you're with Ryuji, Lovers when you're with Ann etc. It doesn't need to be equipped, but summoned in your general pool. This cuts down massively on days you need to spend per confidant. Note that this does not apply to Moon, Sun or Strength who will always level up when you meet with them.

You can access the Velvet room during days you aren't in a dungeon, its door is right outside the airsoft shop.

Stats are going to roadblock a lot of confidants. As a tip you earn Charm during the Sun and Devil Confidants, Kindness during the Heirophant and Tower, Guts during Death, Proficiency during Hanged Man and Knowledge during Star.

Your party members are always unavailable within a week of a dungeon deadline until you clear that dungeon.

Don't go into Mementos unless you have like 6 requests built up. Its really easy and if you're diving in for one or two at a time you waste a ton of days.

Prioritize the Fortune Confidant. Its expensive to start (100k), but at higher levels you can pay for affinity boosts or boosts to stat increases which will save you a ton of time. Temperance can also save you a lot of time as you can pay her to make curry/coffee (SP restoratives that otherwise take a night slot) or wash clothes. She'll also open up some special time slots you can read books in, so make sure to carry at least one unread one around as they're a great source of stats (you can check out one at a time from the library).

Get the SP restoring items from the doctor's shop once she opens the accessories portion. SP adhesive 3 restores 7 SP per turn and lets you dungeon dive infinitely and actually lets you spend SP on stuff. It makes the game a lot smoother.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You eventually get your 100k back on the Fortune confidant too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zore posted:

When you talk to a confidant you can earn extra points if you have a persona of the same arcana on you. It doesn't need to be equipped, but summoned in your general pool. This cuts down massively on days you need to spend per confidant. Note that this does not apply to Moon, Sun or Strength who will always level up when you meet with them.
[...]
Prioritize the Fortune Confidant. Its expensive to start (100k), but at higher levels you can pay for affinity boosts or boosts to stat increases which will save you a ton of time.
[...]
Get the SP restoring items from the doctor's shop once she opens the accessories portion. SP adhesive 3 restores 7 SP per turn and lets you dungeon dive infinitely and actually lets you spend SP on stuff. It makes the game a lot smoother.

Addendum stuff:

You also don't need a Persona for Fool, Magician, Justice or Judgement since they all rank up through plot scenes.

Get Sun to rank 2, at minimum, as soon as you can and it'll help solve a lot of money problems.

Fortune also eventually gives you that 100k back so it's not gone forever or anything. She needs to be rank 7 for the affinity boost, but at rank 3 she gives you a boost that doubles all money earned from fights that you win with AOAs. This also costs 5k but it pays for itself in no time; just pay the money, go to a Palace/Mementos, beat a miniboss, walk out with Loads Of Money.

Death gives Accessories at rank 5. The one that matters (SP Adhesive 3) costs 100k per on its own. Don't bother until rank 7 when she gives you a 50% discount for everything she sells.

e; At rank 7, Star also gives you a boost that doubles money. That one's a passive that is always active and doubles money if you win a fight in one round from an ambush. Really nice for trash mobs but that's all it helps with. It also doesn't stack with Fortune's boost as far as I can tell.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 26, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

I'm kind of confused why people are making GBS threads all over Palace 5 when Palace 3 and its stupid locks are clearly the worst.

I mean, I guess you can cheat the hell out of Palace 3 and look up the answers without having to slog through it, but honestly I didn't think the airlock puzzle was that bad. Your map even updates to let you know what routes are available to you, so you don't have to run and check a single door.

Also, Palace 5's soundtrack was way better than Palace 3's by a long shot. Maybe that's what made it more tolerable.

My opinion is the opposite of all of this.

The airlock puzzle has no rhyme or reason to it and using the mini-map doesn't really help when the solution is "loop through the same areas several times taking different entrances and exits and eventually the path forward will arbitrarily open". I know some people grasped that intuitively but I think you're in the minority. There's no reason an airlock puzzle should behave that way.

It speaks to how little an issue the locks in Palace 3 were that I don't even remember what you're talking about. Do you mean the ones at the end? Because that just felt like more dungeon, not a tedious puzzle.

Also the music in Palace 3 was catchy as hell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So do we an actual number of notes needed for each social stat because holy poo poo Knowledge takes a year and a day to max.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Count Bleck posted:

So do we an actual number of notes needed for each social stat because holy poo poo Knowledge takes a year and a day to max.

I saw a breakdown somewhere and I dont remember the actual numbers but Knowledge takes twice as many notes to max than all the others, probably because theres 30-40 "free" notes that you can get throughout the game answering questions in class

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Count Bleck posted:

Notes aren't exact. They max out at 3 displayed, but you can earn more than that via Fortune readings or naturally from sources like books etc.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In general -

You are better served fusing personas than catching them in the wild. They will get additional skills from the orginals (the more skills the components have, the more the new will have, so it snowballs a bit) and level ups from any confidant links you have, which provides even more skills. Personas take a lot of XP to level, so outside of gallows it's really slow to level them up in combat. Remember that their stats are your stats too, so don't be afraid to turn your favorite persona into a new one and transfer some skills! Just register the ones you like before you mash em up. Every couple of levels I warp back to the Velvet room, open up the registry to see new personas available to me, combine to make them, then resummon personas to cover any new gaps.

Completing a negotiation only gives you Xp for the persona you negotiate with, with no chance of a drop or the cash from that particular enemy. I find that killing all but one enemy, knocking it down and asking for money keeps me good enough on funds until you are ready for some real grinding. Once sun levels up, I knock everyone down. If there are NO red options in the initial negotiation you can ask for money once and still have a guaranteed all out available.

Afflictions aren't necessary on easier difficulties but they are ridiculously strong and abusable. Don't forget about them when enemies lack weaknesses!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

It was the first stat I maxed but only because I studied on every rainy day. Still, it should have happened quicker will all the free points the game throws at you.

Does one "pip" of a stat increase equal one "point", or is there some variance in there? If so maybe the one "pip" you get for answering quizzes correctly is only like 1/8th of a "point".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zore posted:

Notes aren't exact. They max out at 3 displayed, but you can earn more than that via Fortune readings or naturally from sources like books etc.

They also aren't a 1-to-1 for notes = points either. Even if it displays 2 notes that can be like 3 points sometimes and sometimes not. It's just a general idea, not something specific.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I only really got the fusion mechanics right at the end of the game.

I needed someone to make one of the group fusions worked out how to make them myself :unsmith:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Rainuwastaken posted:

So I picked this game up the other day and, as a Persona noob, am completely overwhelmed. Couple questions.

How important is it to recruit All The Personas? I've been making a point of grabbing one of each I find, but I didn't realize I had to bank them in the Velvet Room to register them. Similarly, am I going to have to become a fusion guru in order to get anything done? The whole mechanic confuses the hell out of me right now, but that's probably because I'm level 9 and almost everything I can fuse is too high level for me. Resummoning guys from the register also seems....expensive.

Do I need to rush? I'm obviously not going to get 100% or anything on this run, but I'm struggling through the first palace with almost no SP left and just wondering if it's worth it to take another day trying to get to the treasure, or spend another day on it. A little frustrated because everything I read says "blow through everything in one day, lol" but I've got no SP left and the last time I played, Joker got one-hit-killed on the first turn of combat by some horseman's double fang attack.

Any tips for early on to help me not suck so badly?

You will want to recruit one of anything you encounter if you can. It fills out your compendium, gives you another toy to play with in the velvet room, and it automatically fills out everything on the analysis screen which can save you some trial and error. New Personas are automatically registered in the compendium when you get them, the "register persona" menu option is just there so you can update the registry (like if they earn more EXP, or if you fuse another copy of that same Persona with a better skill loadout). Fusion you don't need to overthink too much, at least not for now, you can just kind of slap things together to make the highest level personas you can and you'll be fine so long as you make sure you've got something that can hit fire/ice/wind/electricity(/psy/nuke/bless/curse but those don't start really being a factor until later dungeons).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Harrow posted:

I hope Persona 5 Arena has them accidentally run afoul the Investigation Team and a cat and mouse game ensues, eventually leading to them realizing they're ultimately on the same side fighting Shadows or something.

problem with this thing you spoiled for no reason is that the investigation team couldn't crimesolve their way out of a paper bag. all of their leads basically boil down to luck. Stuff like chie randomly mentions something and everyone is like OH YEAH THAT'S IMPORTANT or adachi just sort of becomes a way bigger rear end in a top hat suddenly and incriminates himself right after the group arbitrarily decides that he's the killer because everyone else makes even less sense

meanwhile the thieves come up with a genuinely really well put together plan that tricks the entire Evil Government and their "smart" party member isn't secretly the dumbest one like the IT.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I want a P5 arena to be the Phantom Thieves dunking on the investigation team constantly.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Deleter posted:

I want a P5 arena to be the Phantom Thieves dunking on the investigation team constantly.

id rather the investigation team were getting poo poo on by authority and learn how to be sweet criminals from the phantom thieves

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I completed over 90% of the compendium on my first playthrough mostly by just recruiting all new ones I found, going to the velvet room, and just going to Fusions By Result and selecting every NEW persona. There is admittedly a bit more to it than that but you'll find it on your own just by dicking around.

Speaking of fusion though I just beat my first playthrough and I didn't get a fusion accident once. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

Does one "pip" of a stat increase equal one "point", or is there some variance in there? If so maybe the one "pip" you get for answering quizzes correctly is only like 1/8th of a "point".

Notes, at least as it pertains to social stats (dk if the same is true of confidant affinity or not), are an abstraction even at 1. There is variance. I don't know the actual numbers, but something like...

1 note = 1-2 points of substat
2 notes = 3-5 points of substat
3 notes = 6+ points of substat

So in a way, kind of. I suspect this is part of why Knowledge gain seems so low; correct quiz answers give 1 point (1 note), while a lot of things that give 1 note (Proficiency from fishing, perhaps) actually give 2 points.

It's pretty easy to test this in the broad strokes; the Fortune reading won't actually change the number of notes that appear even in some 2 note instances.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually really curious if the same is true of confidant affinity or if the notes are measuring on a 1:1 basis there, because (for example) you get the same number of affinity notes (2) with Sojiro for brewing coffee as you do for hanging out/working with him between ranks.

If it's not, hanging out with him is a pointless trap option.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Making coffee eventually stops giving you any points with Sojiro, so it's not completely pointless, at least. (Assuming you're in NG and don't know about Chihaya, like most people playing for the first time.)

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Harrow posted:

Something to do with all that NG+ free time, I guess :v:

I wonder how high you could get Joker's HP/SP while still maxing all confidants if you carry over max social stats from NG+.

I am in the middle of doing this right now and I can tell you the answer is Very High. Each training session with the best supplements is essentially giving you one built-in round of SP Adhesive 2, and every five or so sessions is like a built-in 50 hp accessory.

The trick is that maxing many confidants in your first play through gives you an item that makes their new game plus rank one = rank ten. Outside of Becky and Hifumi, the non-party links aren't worth raising past 1, which gives you insane amounts of free time combined with fortune readings.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

postmodifier posted:

I am in the middle of doing this right now and I can tell you the answer is Very High. Each training session with the best supplements is essentially giving you one built-in round of SP Adhesive 2, and every five or so sessions is like a built-in 50 hp accessory.

The trick is that maxing many confidants in your first play through gives you an item that makes their new game plus rank one = rank ten. Outside of Becky and Hifumi, the non-party links aren't worth raising past 1, which gives you insane amounts of free time combined with fortune readings.

The thing is though that there's not really anything else to do because you'll likely have maxed stats too so basically, all you'll end up doing is the gym at that point so you still might as well rank up all the s.links anyway lest you die of boredom

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite thing about Temperance in NG+ is she charges you for laundry again and everything but still does the massage for free even at rank 1 just because they didn't program it to cost money.

Teach really loves giving massages in her costume I guess.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
You lose Tae's discount in NG+, which seems a little pointless considering you're gonna be richer than Croesus anyway.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

postmodifier posted:

suddenly got the massive urge to do a NG+ plat run

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

You lose Tae's discount in NG+, which seems a little pointless considering you're gonna be richer than Croesus anyway.

You probably have all the accs you need and your compendium and equips mean you don't need to heal so her entire link benefits are pointless.

But she's amazing so you should spend a lot of time with her anyway.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

The Deleter posted:

I want p5 arena being charlie tunoko getting all the P5 chicks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hah, got greedy and didn't have joker guard against the palace 6 boss' desperation attack, but he came out with full HP because Enduring Soul. :v:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Looking over the trophies that I missed in my first playthrough and I'm kind of annoyed there's a trophy for buying all the vending machine drinks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Exmond posted:

I want p5 arena being p5 MC getting all the P4 chicks.

FTFY

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn on the cop posted:

Looking over the trophies that I missed in my first playthrough and I'm kind of annoyed there's a trophy for buying all the vending machine drinks.

this is actually one of the easiest ones to get in ng+ or on a save before the last day, bc you can do it in ten minutes on one day of game time. you just have to run around between all the vending machines and buy everything.

it's not nearly as bad as stuff like the fishing one or doing all the requests and reading all the books (which you gently caress up if you don't do every quest), which involve the time-management aspect of the game and are "missable" in a playthrough

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does having read a book carry over to NG+?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where is Ryuji during the last day?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bogart posted:

Where is Ryuji during the last day?

Arcade, I think?

Raxivace posted:

Does having read a book carry over to NG+?

No.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

wizard on a water slide posted:

this is actually one of the easiest ones to get in ng+ or on a save before the last day, bc you can do it in ten minutes on one day of game time. you just have to run around between all the vending machines and buy everything.

it's not nearly as bad as stuff like the fishing one or doing all the requests and reading all the books (which you gently caress up if you don't do every quest), which involve the time-management aspect of the game and are "missable" in a playthrough

I'm talking more along the lines of "Why the gently caress is that a trophy?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

She totes around a battleaxe and has a living artillery battery for a Persona, she's definitely a fan of the hands-on approach.

Yeah, I'm sure pissing Haru off would have no consequences, it's not like she has reservoirs of untapped rage like Makoto--

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn on the cop posted:

I'm talking more along the lines of "Why the gently caress is that a trophy?"

oh, who knows, trophies are weird.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Haru talks about how hearing shadows begging for their lives gets her excited she is basically a psychopath

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

slev posted:

Haru talks about how hearing shadows begging for their lives gets her excited she is basically a psychopath

please replace the worst boy in the op with this, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

slev posted:

I know, isn't it great? :allears: