Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
That doesn't matter! He clearly thinks you're awesome! He believes in you! You can do the thing!

(Disclaimer: The last twenty people he thought were awesome may or may not be rotting somewhere downriver.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

ricdesi posted:

He's a pretty rad dude, despite him still not making it clear why he needs me specifically when I'm visibly ill-equipped for what he wants of me.

He doesn't need you specifically, he just needs a Hylian. Its just incredibly fortunate for him, and maybe unfortunate for you, that he found you.

The trials of strength are a lot easier when you use the combat mechanics you were taught. Also the laser fest when the guardian scout was near death is easier to dodge if you get up close to it and run in circles around it.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Also, the spinny-lasery thing it did that knocked you back repeatedly creates an updraft...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

savixeon posted:

The trials of strength are a lot easier when you use the combat mechanics you were taught. Also the laser fest when the guardian scout was near death is easier to dodge if you get up close to it and run in circles around it.

Yeah. All the guardian attacks are telegraphed pretty heavily, and the third phase is a bit of a damage race or you can shoot its eye to stun it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. All the guardian attacks are telegraphed pretty heavily, and the third phase is a bit of a damage race or you can shoot its eye to stun it.

Oddly enough, I just get the 'you made a headshot!' ding without it actually stunning them when they go full turret spam final phase.

So I just lazily walk in circles around them without bothering to parry or "just shoot them in the eye!" now, after the Nth time getting the 'you made a headshot!' confrimation noise multiple times in a row did gently caress all to them in the third phase while fighting the hard mode test bots.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Section Z posted:

Oddly enough, I just get the 'you made a headshot!' ding without it actually stunning them when they go full turret spam final phase.

So I just lazily walk in circles around them without bothering to parry or "just shoot them in the eye!" now, after the Nth time getting the 'you made a headshot!' confrimation noise multiple times in a row did gently caress all to them in the third phase while fighting the hard mode test bots.

I may be remembering wrong, usually I have a good enough weapon to just damage race em. two-hander spin to win.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think the challenge for this tower was that there was the giant rain-slick cliff maze full of monsters you had to climb to get to it.

it was a pretty good monster maze! It had treasure chests that were actually traps because of world physics and everything.

So, uh, odds that you never drink that elec resist thing before you get to Zora's Domain?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

I may be remembering wrong, usually I have a good enough weapon to just damage race em. two-hander spin to win.

Given how many quirks of the game there is, it could likely be-
A: Maybe lower ranked test of strength robots are vulnerable, while the top end are not? (I never had to bother with lower ones, but tried it a bunch on the hard ones from 'I suck at killing them' early game to 'I'm lazily farming these' lategame and... welp).
B: Maybe people equate being able to stun evil stalkers with an arrow to the eye with "Well that must therefore work on Test of strength robots too!"
C: Game was just being buggy in a certain coincidental way consistently, which I've got quite the track record with.
D: A million other factors for why it's not working out when I do it vs Test robots in particular.

I'd would have simply assumed I was somehow botching the shots when they go full turret spam mode, if not for the fact headshots/Eye shots in this game have a very distinct and satisfying sound. *DING* "Allright I got the noise!... It's still charging." *DING!* *DING* *DING* "GameFAQS has led me astray-" :supaburn:

It's not like I can't beat them anyways without that, but it's always a bit frustrating when you hear some good common sense advice, which works wonders for you in some cases cases like stalkers, and then suddenly nope :v: But you are hardly alone in suggesting that arrows will stun their turret spam mode, that's a very common statement. Which leaves me all the more confused what's up in my case.

Maybe people forgot they had left their lightning arrows on, or something?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 27, 2017

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
I think that the arrow-to-the-eye stun works on the corrupted Guardians in the overworld, but not on the uncorrupted Test of Strength ones. Presumably related to the fact that 'shoot it in the eye' is a consistent weakness across anything and everything Ganon-related.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I just found this and am on season five. Regarding figuring out cooking in Zelda courtesy of Manly Guys doing Manly things by Coelasquid;

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
You've done what absolutely everyone who's played this game has done: forgotten about cryonis. You finally used it at the end of the puzzle, but you can use it at the start too - just magic up a cryonis block on the wall behind the orb to start its journey!

(Ps - new episode up)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

snograt posted:

You've done what absolutely everyone who's played this game has done: forgotten about cryonis. You finally used it at the end of the puzzle, but you can use it at the start too - just magic up a cryonis block on the wall behind the orb to start its journey!

:aaaaa:

The worst part for me is, I did remember to use cryonis on that puzzle--to make myself some platforms to get up to the ball to stasis-thwack it :downs:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dodging depends on the attack. A side-swing can be dodged with a backflip, and front attacks can be dodged with a sidestep.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, don't forget that you have ice powers in the water world. Good advice in general.

It's also interesting just how many old legends of things you can follow to go get cool stuff. Zora Helm's definitely worth getting before you take on the rest of the domain.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Arcomage posted:

That doesn't matter! He clearly thinks you're awesome! He believes in you! You can do the thing!

(Disclaimer: The last twenty people he thought were awesome may or may not be rotting somewhere downriver.)

Yeah, something about his unnecessarily chipper attitude has me worried that I might not be the first one to "help"...

Thesaya posted:

I just found this and am on season five. Regarding figuring out cooking in Zelda courtesy of Manly Guys doing Manly things by Coelasquid;

PERFECTION. I wanna say Manly Guys Doing Manly Things was the comic I was thinking of too - my girlfriend showed me either this or a very similar comic, which was how I realized you even could just huck stuff in the fire in the first place.

snograt posted:

YEUP. Popular opinion right now is "Guys, seriously, stop forgetting Cryonis", and I honestly don't know how it is that we keep forgetting it's there - not to mention not noticing that the wall behind the ball had water flowing over it too. We'll get there, hopefully this year...

Glazius posted:

Yeah, don't forget that you have ice powers in the water world. Good advice in general.

It's also interesting just how many old legends of things you can follow to go get cool stuff. Zora Helm's definitely worth getting before you take on the rest of the domain.

Yeahhhhhhh based on where these next few episodes go, I'm thinking we should go seek that out before progressing much further...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Grp6y0zkI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbATi7kuLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnjqmL-X_4

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One thing to keep in mind with these towns near the Divine Beasts -- generally while people might hint at later sidequests, they're all on hold until you clear the Divine Beast.

I mean, when a giant wall of water is going to crack the reservoir and wash your house away that's kind of priority one, you know?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Boomerangs are actually cool and fun to use once you get used to their rules.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
:supaburn: Oh God our drat is going to burst, ruining all of our infrastructure
:smug: Didn't you know you can use Cryonis on vertical areas of water?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I mean, when a giant wall of water is going to crack the reservoir and wash your house away that's kind of priority one, you know?

In addition to that getting a mountain's worth of water dumped on your head will still be bad for you, fish-person or no, because water has weight and can and will crush you and/or wash you away and slam you into a cliff or something if there's enough of it falling on you all at once.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 3, 2017

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Yeah, something about his unnecessarily chipper attitude has me worried that I might not be the first one to "help"...
Wasn't there a Traveler's something-or-other near the start? I guess it had to come from somewhere...

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Holy hell. Sorry for the week off, folks. We fell a bit behind and decided that rather than try to stuff 2+ hours of recording down our throats and then yours, we'd just collect ourselves and come at it fresh this weekend. Which we have! This episode (and tomorrow's) were both recorded over a week ago, but Part 43 and on is brand spankin' new and yes, there is significant forward progress. Huzzah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMedvG3neYQ

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Sounds like you guys have the dreaded left joycon desync issue - or are you using the pro controller? If the former, Nintendo are apparently replacing them very promptly.

Yes, as some of you are aware, you're not expected to actually fight that (beast that I won't spoil as you haven't posted it here yet.) What you SHOULD do, however, is take a photo of the drat thing. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

snograt posted:

Sounds like you guys have the dreaded left joycon desync issue - or are you using the pro controller? If the former, Nintendo are apparently replacing them very promptly.

Yes, as some of you are aware, you're not expected to actually fight that (beast that I won't spoil as you haven't posted it here yet.) What you SHOULD do, however, is take a photo of the drat thing. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

seconding this, with an additional "also take pictures of more other things too."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That thing is definitely beatable at this point in the game, but you have to git gud.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Cerebral Bore posted:

That thing is definitely beatable at this point in the game, but you have to git gud.

get good at perfect dodging, cook food for attack or defense, and bring more/better weapons and shields.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

You guys seem to miss every time you upgrade armour that you only get the set bonus when all the items in the set have been upgraded twice.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, I have watched all of your Breath of the Wild videos and I have a request. Could you fix your audio a bit? Most of the time it is totally fine, but whenever something happens the volume deafens me. I usually try to keep you on a lower volume than most other vids, but if there is quieter talk I miss out on that. So yes, I would appreciate if you made your lows higher and your highs way, way lower.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 12, 2017

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I like cutscenes. Especially the way they tell you what to do first, then show you a picture of what you do first. Fortunately, I have no friends to chat with and totally miss cut scenes.

Oh, and that gloopy skull-spitting thinger? There was another one of those eyestalks hanging down from the ceiling that you just managed to just catch in the bomb's radius. Took me far too long to get past that, because my bombs were all unlucky. One arrow, poof. Always look for eyestalks in Ganon-spooge.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thank you for not forgetting you have ice powers. You could have got on without them outside, as long as your arrows held out or maybe if you got super-daring with bombs?

As much as I like the idea of a broad set of tools you can use anywhere, having them be optional workarounds or not come into play as often risks them being forgotten or ignored when they were programmed to be useful. Say what you will about dungeon items that don't see a lot of use outside their dungeons, at least it tends to be obvious when you should use them.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

generally I prefer posted:

You guys seem to miss every time you upgrade armour that you only get the set bonus when all the items in the set have been upgraded twice.

WE SURE DO. Gonna definitely remember this time though, oy.

Thesaya posted:

So, I have watched all of your Breath of the Wild videos and I have a request. Could you fix your audio a bit? Most of the time it is totally fine, but whenever something happens the volume deafenes me. I usually try to keep you on a lower volume than most other vids, but if there is quieter talk I miss out on that. So yes, I would appreciate if you made your lows highers and your highs way, way lower.

Duly noted -- Today's video is already taken care of, but I'll do what I can to soften the audio better. In particular, I need to remind Lindsay to stop shrieking directly into the mic whenever exciting things happen, especially considering every other moment she's ten miles away from the mic so the audio needs serious boosting for her to be audible. I gotchu, boo.

Glazius posted:

Thank you for not forgetting you have ice powers. You could have got on without them outside, as long as your arrows held out or maybe if you got super-daring with bombs?

As much as I like the idea of a broad set of tools you can use anywhere, having them be optional workarounds or not come into play as often risks them being forgotten or ignored when they were programmed to be useful. Say what you will about dungeon items that don't see a lot of use outside their dungeons, at least it tends to be obvious when you should use them.

It reminds me of improv in a lot of ways. It's the whole reason improvisers as for an inspiration to start off a scene. If you ask me to go on a rant about bananas, I could rattle off ten straight minutes about how frustrating they are to keep fresh, since an errant look will bruise and brown them, but it seems to take a year and a half for them to ripen in the first place, etc etc. But if you just say "tell jokes", well... that's tougher.

Same here: if you give me a Clawshot that latches onto specific targets and a few less-obvious materials, I will experiment with it, and get used to the "tells" that let me know it's time for the Clawshot. Here, it's like "oh hey, you see that water that's on about 25% of the world map? NOW it's important.

Anywho, let's get in on our first Divine Beast! New episode coming shortly as well, it's good to be back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_SyVtMNU8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiaSUS7dByc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-SEUd8-mnY

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I know you're keeping the thread tidy by posting these videos three at a time, but it's a pain in the arse to those of us following the YouTube channel!

(Part 45 is up now.)

Should I hold my comments until you officially post them here? I think I'm way out of sync already :shrug:

(Edit) I'm going to comment anyway :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOx7-KzSdM

snograt fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 12, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

It reminds me of improv in a lot of ways. It's the whole reason improvisers as for an inspiration to start off a scene. If you ask me to go on a rant about bananas, I could rattle off ten straight minutes about how frustrating they are to keep fresh, since an errant look will bruise and brown them, but it seems to take a year and a half for them to ripen in the first place, etc etc. But if you just say "tell jokes", well... that's tougher.

Yeah, one of the things that makes the shrine and dungeon puzzles actually work out is that you can't climb. There are some surfaces and you can mantle onto ledges and such, but nobody in that poor deprived structure is getting anywhere near their USRDA of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yup, Sidon cut his way out of an Octorok from the inside. There's another tablet for the king which confirms that Zora are f**** hardcore in this iteration. If they could touch shock arrows, they wouldn't need you at all.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

It seems to be something of a running gag that everyone who streams Breath of the Wild forgets about Cryonis at some point and spends a long time flailing around using different tools to do a job that Cryonis would solve in ten seconds. It's probably because Cryonis is the most situational of the Runes - not only do you need a body of water to use it, but it also has a fairly strict set of rules for what you can and can't do with it. Cryonis also has less combat application than, say, Bombs (which have obvious uses) or Magnesis (which is slightly less intuitive but far more generally useful). It's probably also because people who stream or make videos tend to want to push forward and do interesting things, and spending five minutes hopping across a series of Cryonis pillars to get to a chest that probably contains ten arrows tends to be lower priority, so they spend less time faffing about and experimenting with their Runes.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Sorry for the lack of video yesterday - we had a busy Sunday and didn't get a chance to record more Breath of the Wild until last night (the theme of much of this week after today is tying up loose ends and setting up missions in Zora's Domain and Kakariko Village), but first, let's deal with a scourge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712yesRr36o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkr2mrOhVo

snograt posted:

I know you're keeping the thread tidy by posting these videos three at a time, but it's a pain in the arse to those of us following the YouTube channel!

That's not by design, I'm just really lovely at keeping the thread up to date :[ Downside of the timing of when we put up videos is that I'm usually at work when they go up, and wind up forgetting to do it when I'm editing at night. Working on it though, Part 47'll be (gasp) in its own post! The horror, I know.

God, that map helps SO loving MUCH. The temptation to loop this quietly under the rest of the video is real.

Bruceski posted:

Yup, Sidon cut his way out of an Octorok from the inside. There's another tablet for the king which confirms that Zora are f**** hardcore in this iteration. If they could touch shock arrows, they wouldn't need you at all.

I am LOVING the increasing badassitude of Zoras over the years. They started as just kind of vague elfish fish men, but between Twilight Princess and this, they're definitely proving themselves to be MORE than capable warriors as well. Digging the musical themes too, I do wonder if that's a callback to Skyward Sword...

Arcomage posted:

Cryonis also has less combat application than, say, Bombs (which have obvious uses) or Magnesis (which is slightly less intuitive but far more generally useful).

With the notable exception of fighting Vah Ruta and the beast inside, of course ;)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you can totally craft fire arrows. Just combine a few dozen rupees with the Zora shop.

(You were right about threading the needle through the torch, though. Works easier if you have a vine backstop to catch it.)

I'm glad that you got to test Mipha's Grace under controlled conditions - that is, being launched over a huge distance into a cleared area and pursued by a single enemy.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
You know, I'm loving seeing you guys discover stuff almost as much as I did discovering it myself. Awesome game, awesome let's play.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As a general rule, you can talk to a quest giver after you accept the quest to get a hint. This ain't no Hunt of the Wild, quests don't drop markers on the map. (Sidequests drop a marker to the original quest giver.) All you've got is advanced Sheikah Maps technology and what people tell you.

NPCs tend to respect the morning-noon-night cycle the inn or a campfire sets you on. Some NPCs will be out in the morning, most will be out at noon, and they sometimes do different things at night. (Also you're still missing something in Impa's house that will help you out.)

It's worth checking out all the stores and noting down what they sell. Most big settlements will tend to at least have a clothes store, a grocery store, an arrow shop, and an inn. Though the Zora clothes shop is unfortunately closed due to them being mostly an export market.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
You should definitely try to purchase the Sheikah armor, its stealth bonus makes sneaking up on animals/fairies/enemies absolutely trivial. I tend to default to it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

I'm glad that you got to test Mipha's Grace under controlled conditions - that is, being launched over a huge distance into a cleared area and pursued by a single enemy.

Yeah, I definitely would not have loved discovering that by being smashed in the head by a Hinox and just standing still for the next shot or something. So Fairy + 5 Hearts, 25 minute cooldown. Not bad.

snograt posted:

You know, I'm loving seeing you guys discover stuff almost as much as I did discovering it myself. Awesome game, awesome let's play.

Aw, nice :) Glad you're digging it, I know it can be a bit of a coin flip between "ooh, I get to watch people see this stuff for the first time too!" and "oh my loving god, just figure it out already." Sorta like showing someone your favorite TV show and watching them more than the show to see their reaction.

Glazius posted:

NPCs tend to respect the morning-noon-night cycle the inn or a campfire sets you on. Some NPCs will be out in the morning, most will be out at noon, and they sometimes do different things at night. (Also you're still missing something in Impa's house that will help you out.)

Yeah, we're off on a mild exploratory quest right now, but as soon as we unlock the tower, I do wanna dip back to Kakariko one more time, as well as shoot past Hateno and do a little digging. It feels a little like busywork compared to most Zelda games, I guess this is more like Skyrim territory in terms of actually getting stuff done.

Dresh posted:

You should definitely try to purchase the Sheikah armor, its stealth bonus makes sneaking up on animals/fairies/enemies absolutely trivial. I tend to default to it all the time.

Hearing this more and more from folks, I think we will start to prioritize getting the Sheikah gear. Expensive as hell, but we've got plenty of time, plus the Zora gear (while rad) is best for watery areas, which we won't need 100% of the time anyway. I do wanna go dye it though.

Anyhow, we have Part 50 coming out shortly, but here's the earlier chunk of this week's stuff, to be followed by the rest around noon (for anyone who hasn't seen these two yet anyhow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6klWyfGB9BI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B-A97PngZ8

• Locked thread