Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Benne posted:

Who the gently caress wears JC Penney to their draft night? I'm taking him off my board if I see that.

Right?

He should have gone to Kohl's for that Kohl's Cash! Irresponsible. Reckless. Would not draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

college players aren't paid and run up huge college loans and poo poo. Dude's maxing out his mom's credit card for whatever decent clothes he can afford, come on.

You really think Watson has student loans? Also, he played quarterback in the SEC. Lol at the idea he wasn't paid.

EDIT: Quick, list of the top QBs in this draft and their preferred clothing outlet!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I did the Pick the Draft or whatever somebody linked to.

Not gonna lie though. I'm very selfish and haven't paid a lick of attention to any pick past #14.

I do know the second round is gonna be almost as fun as the first round though :dance:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably full ride scholarship but maybe still had to buy books or whtaever.

But

Sataere posted:

Lol at the idea he wasn't paid.

OK I am not an expert on the illegal payments that college ballers get, I was under the impression you'd get kicked out of sports at any whiff of it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sataere posted:

You really think Watson has student loans? Also, he played quarterback in the SEC. Lol at the idea he wasn't paid.

EDIT: Quick, list of the top QBs in this draft and their preferred clothing outlet!

ACC

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

waah posted:

Sorry, the Panthers wont sign a lovely human being until next year to get the maximum effect of bad PR from drafting a turd AND Rae Carruth being released in the same year.

Edit: Rae Rae's scheduled release date is Oct. 2018

Man I thought for sure he would've at least been released when he went to prison.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sataere posted:

I can't believe you called the national champions clemson tigers SEC you stupid bitch

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Sataere posted:

You don't watch college football do you

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nfl posters have opinions!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

They're all poo poo tho!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a neat cape posted:

You don't watch college football do you

I absolutely do not, but I do know Clemson is in the ACC. Don't know why I wrote that. Gonna blame a combination of phone posting, being at work and just being plain dumb. :eng99:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Metapod posted:

I can't believe you called the national champions clemson tigers SEC you stupid bitch

Truth

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

OK I am not an expert on the illegal payments that college ballers get, I was under the impression you'd get kicked out of sports at any whiff of it

:lol:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Leperflesh posted:

1. It's not illegal, just against NCAA rules
2. As long as it doesn't involve gambling, the NFL doesn't give a gently caress if kids get paid in college, beyond it being "a character issue."
3. It's widely accepted that basically every major team has boosters that pay its players, the NCAA just steps in when they get too blatant about it.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2017

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Leperflesh posted:

I really admire your optimism

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pakled posted:

1. It's not illegal, just against NCAA rules
2. As long as it doesn't involve gambling, the NFL doesn't give a gently caress if kids get paid in college, beyond it being "a character issue."

1. Yeah I meant illegal by NCAA rules, e.g,, say goodbye to your football scholarship and your ability to play if you get caught.
2. Yeah I know, but you have to not get caught while you're in school.

If you're saying that these football players were paid in violation of NCAA rules I'm interesting in how you know that, is all.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Once a player declares for the draft and signs with an agent, they are usually fronted money to train and such. Its not like the guy doesn't have access to a decent amount of money.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

swickles posted:

Once a player declares for the draft and signs with an agent, they are usually fronted money to train and such. Its not like the guy doesn't have access to a decent amount of money.

He comes from a poor family and I'm sure he's aware that if he flops in the NFL, then right now is the most marketable period of his life so it's best to get while the getting is good.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Davis Webb is the Matthew Broderick of quarterbacks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel.

Carr, Wilson, Cousins, Dalton, Dak and even Kaepernick/Bridgewater all show that you can build a competent team and plug in 2nd-4th round QB's now and find success.

That seems better then the talent dry teams grabbing QB's top 10 which has given us over that timeframe:

Hits: Cam, Luck, Stafford, Tannehill
Misses: Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Locker, RG3

Not sure, trending positive: Mariota, Winston, Wentz
Not sure, trending negative: Bortles, Goff

Of course plenty (most) round 2-4 QB's loving fail, but at least that only costs you a later pick and not like Eric Berry or Kalil Mack. And QB's in better situations tend to have way higher hit rates for some mysterious loving reason.

I generally agree with your position, but that specific argument has several flawed components. Most egregious is that even among your examples of slected-top-10 qb's, there is an enormously higher success rate than the later round qb's. Further, let's look at the quality of players in the "hit/not sure trending positive" categories. Cam, Luck, Mariota, Winston, and Stafford are significantly better than all the late round QBs except Wilson and Carr.

To your point, Dak and Carr have the 1st and 2nd best OL in the league. Which demonstrates that investing in OL makes the QB much better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

Oh I see.

Yeah I'm generally down on poorshaming people but if he gets money up front then maybe.

Actually nah, it's still poorshaming regardless. I'd like to encourage athletes with horrifyingly short career prospects (which certainly includes all NFL football players) to be as frugal as possible.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

1. Yeah I meant illegal by NCAA rules, e.g,, say goodbye to your football scholarship and your ability to play if you get caught.
2. Yeah I know, but you have to not get caught while you're in school.

If you're saying that these football players were paid in violation of NCAA rules I'm interesting in how you know that, is all.

You just know because you hear people close to the sports talk about it. It just comes up all the time from secondary sources. Hell, anytime the NCAA comes down hard on someone for sanctions, you hear about how it's everywhere.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. Well, I'm not exactly shocked at the hypocrisy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. Well, I'm not exactly shocked at the hypocrisy.

Yeah, they need to burn the NCAA to the ground.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If I were an owner, I would not hire GM unless they agreed with me on these two points re: drafting quarterbacks:

1. Sitting them to learn is really dumb
2. If their best attribute is their arm strength, they are really bad

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

fsif posted:

If I were an owner, I would not hire GM unless they agreed with me on these two points re: drafting quarterbacks:

What if his best attribute is intangible?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

What if his best attribute is intangible?

RGIII/Goff offer them

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fsif posted:

Your first point is dumb

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

fsif posted:

Mostly agree, though I'd be more lenient about the first point after the first two rounds.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

Tom Sellout posted:

Davis Webb is the Matthew Broderick of quarterbacks

Who did he kill?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
on-scene report:

I saw a multiple prospective draftees around center city today, specifically around a hotel on Broad street just north of city hall. I haven't followed it closely enough to recognize them by face. Also there are a lot of fat white guys walking around, very similiar to what you would see in any city if you had a major bowl game in town.

There's been a helicopter flying over for what seems like an hour now and it's really loving annoying.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Goodell is gonna get booed so hard.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good read, which you can choose to believe or not believe. As far as I remember it hasn't been discounted at least.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Goodell is gonna get booed so hard.

Wait. I'm going. Am I supposed to boo Goodell? I forget what I'm supposed to be mad at him for.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

NotWearingPants posted:

on-scene report:

I saw a multiple prospective draftees around center city today, specifically around a hotel on Broad street just north of city hall. I haven't followed it closely enough to recognize them by face. Also there are a lot of fat white guys walking around, very similiar to what you would see in any city if you had a major bowl game in town.

There's been a helicopter flying over for what seems like an hour now and it's really loving annoying.

Sightings of EDP?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Sightings of EDP?

He lives in California

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Your first point is dumb

For every Aaron Rodgers there are 50 Ryan Mallettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

For every Aaron Rodgers there are 50 Cardale Jones

Agreed. Your first point still seems kind of dumb.

• Locked thread