Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
F.

Their racial strengths are perfectly suited to hit our racial weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Glad to see this thing get back on track!

Also, F, because:

Mzbundifund posted:

Sorry Darloks, it's nothing personal :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

AJ_Impy posted:

D seems pragmatic.

Let's go for this one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mzbundifund posted:

F.

Yeah, the above is my vote too, for exactly the same reason.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fuck the Darlies

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
If nobody else wants to do a full vote, I'd at least like a research tiebreaker between engineering and gravitic physics. I'll look into playing through the update soon and writing up the update a bit after that.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Engineering then, for reasons that have already been stated by others.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, that was a short period of peace. On the plus side, back on the home front, capitalism ho!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

nweismuller posted:

Well, that was a short period of peace. On the plus side, back on the home front, capitalism ho!

I hope it was the Darloks and we're prepared to crush one of their worlds into dust.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Was it the Darloks? I bet it was the Darloks.

(Hint: It's always the Darloks)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
It is the Meklars who got us into war.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Did we do the alliance with the Mrrshan first? Is that the casus belli?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Combine government approached the Republic requesting our assistance against the Darlok Administration, and offered some valuable technical data if we agreed to join the war. Given the fairly heavy legislatural position in favor of 'helping the Meklars in order to ensure the eventual destruction of the Darlok Administration', I accepted this offer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Now I want to name a thing after Recettear. Can we buy the Darlok's family heirlooms on the cheap?

"Capitalism, Ho!"

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 27, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
After Action Report: Initial Engagements in Darlok Space

The first three engagements in the Inganok system have shown mixed results for Space Fleet. Temporary Republican occupation has been established on Udun, and the Darlok Administration has lost the border defenses in Inganok, the fortifications at Udun, a battleship, a cruiser, and three frigates, but at the cost to Space Fleet of the scout frigate Benjamin Hornigold and the bombardment cruiser Thunderbolt. An Administration fleet controls the orbit of Udun, with two cruisers and eight frigates in place, while the Peacemaker, Cincinnatus, Huscarl, and Arbalest have begun to retreat back to Republican space for repairs. The George Washington is several years from rendezvous with the main battlefleet.

The single largest threat from the Administration battlefleet comes from their most recent generation of frigates- seven of the eight surviving frigates in the known Administration fleet are armed with graviton cannon and have sufficient acceleration to make intercept with Space Fleet forces. Although we assess that we could destroy them in a long-range engagement, the damage suffered by Space Fleet in reducing the defenses of Udun was sufficient that dealing with rapid assault from these frigates could pose a genuine threat. Long-range weapons available to the Administration battlefleet are rapid-reaction guided missiles, which are only a moderate threat, and continuous ion stream discharges which are only a real threat to ships whose shields have fallen. Administration cruisers lack sufficient acceleration to make close-range intercept before taking severe damage from long-range Space Fleet fire.

The admiralty hereby recommends, at the very least, approval of appropriations for a general upgrade of Space Fleet armor to the latest collapsed matter standards. Approval of contracts to defense contractors for further development of phased hyperspace cannon and a general design contest for update of Space Fleet designs could independently or in tandem increase the combat effectiveness of existing Space Fleet ships. Contracts for improvement of targeting computer technologies could likewise be of service to Space Fleet.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I vote for the creation of a Doom Blob.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

I vote for the creation of a Doom Blob.

Clarify?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Group our entire fleet together and steamroll the remaining Darloks.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Group our entire fleet together and steamroll the remaining Darloks.

Well, we're working on that. We have three frigates detached, but they wouldn't add a huge amount of firepower. Getting the George Washington attached to the battlefleet would help, which we're working on. That said, we've taken fairly heavy damage in the course of the battle for Udun, so taking some time to get the fleet back in shape might be called for.

E: Specifically, our detached frigates have picket positions in the Core to try and maintain our territorial claims.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 27, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'll try to have an update up this weekend, or during the first half of the week, but no promises yet. That said- any lorebits people are interested in seeing me explore? I have the longevity thing mulling in my mind, but I'm not sure whether I'm ready to write on it yet- but I will write if I am inspired. If the person who wanted to see that wanted to write their own, I could well approve it as official if it is consistent with established fact in the LP and I'm happy with the quality.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

nweismuller posted:

I'll try to have an update up this weekend, or during the first half of the week, but no promises yet. That said- any lorebits people are interested in seeing me explore? I have the longevity thing mulling in my mind, but I'm not sure whether I'm ready to write on it yet- but I will write if I am inspired. If the person who wanted to see that wanted to write their own, I could well approve it as official if it is consistent with established fact in the LP and I'm happy with the quality.

Take your time and make sure you save frequently. Also, you've done a great job so far in this LP with your lore bits so I'd rather you continue to do them to your specs. Plus my writing sucks balls. Once you have more time I'm sure you'll get back into the lore mood.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Take your time and make sure you save frequently. Also, you've done a great job so far in this LP with your lore bits so I'd rather you continue to do them to your specs. Plus my writing sucks balls. Once you have more time I'm sure you'll get back into the lore mood.

I might find another topic easier to write on. Deciding how exactly I want to handle that topic is a poser for me. So I have the lore mood fine, I just need to find something that's easy to write.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

What is the current view of the Darlok war in the republic? Specially taking in account that the Darlok-Republic relationship was warming up.

I mean, AFAIK we the thread are basically a secret cabal that pulls the strings of the republic.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There can be only one.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
These Darloks are prisoners of their own fear and xenophobia. Let us show them there is nothing to be afraid of but fear itself.

By liberating the crap out of them with the most modern fleet we can muster.

Stormgear fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 27, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
First off: I am not taking the thread as a secretive cabal, but as representing a cross-section of legislative and corporate decision makers, depending on the particular issue being voted on (i.e., foreign policy and military appropriations are representative of legislative decisions; when I ask about infrastructure development on planets, that's more corporate), and thus as at least partially reflective of popular opinion. All that said...

Popular opinion towards the Darlok war is divided. Many in the Republic were war-weary after the lengthy Bulrathi war, and had hoped for a new era of peace- and this war has brought troop landings and the loss of ships. As such, there's a fair amount of grumbling about another war the leadership of the Republic has gotten us embroiled in. That said- very few people had any sort of positive impression of the Darloks. Some stereotyped it as outright totalitarian, which is admittedly misleading. Better-informed individuals still are pretty leery about the fact that the Darlok Administration, although avoiding the worst abuses of totalitarianism, still has little protection for due process and widespread intrusive security surveillance. The most positive attitude towards the Darloks and their Administration that actually had any significant amount of support is that although the Administration is not a fundamentally just regime, that nonetheless they should have an interest in continued peace and that continued peaceful contact should provide a positive example for the Darlok people. There is definitely also an interest by people and firms who wanted to see the economic benefits of trade with the Darloks, which would make life better in the Republic.

E: I feel like this wasn't that much of a lore post, honestly, but it's hard to see how to expand on it, so I'm definitely still willing to take suggestions for other things to write on.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 27, 2017

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I mean, yeah, you SAY that but it has been hundreds of years, yet it is roughly the same people voting with roughly the same policies. For all You or the populace knows, we are the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

I mean, yeah, you SAY that but it has been hundreds of years, yet it is roughly the same people voting with roughly the same policies. For all You or the populace knows, we are the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It's an abstraction, I say! You aren't an immortal god-emperor in Civilisation, either.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yesh well I'm RPing a rogue AI born in a punch card computer that is horribly failing at manipulating humanity :colbert:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

Yesh well I'm RPing a rogue AI born in a punch card computer that is horribly failing at manipulating humanity :colbert:

You do you

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

B with a shade of F.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Teledahn posted:

B with a shade of F.

Regrettably, I've already played through the next twenty years. That said, you basically got your wish. We're now embroiled in a war with the Darlok Administration on the Combine's request.

E: I see your avatar depicts an attempt by Imperial Intelligence to steal atomic technology.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 28, 2017

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Another simple question: what is the percentage of non-human, non-bulrathi populace in the republic? Lorewise, I don't think there is any way to get aliens diplomatically.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

Another simple question: what is the percentage of non-human, non-bulrathi populace in the republic? Lorewise, I don't think there is any way to get aliens diplomatically.

I'd estimate it at around a 1% minority of the population, about half of which are Mrrshan, the remainder of which are split between Meklars and Psilons. For varying reasons, immigration from the Klackons and Darloks hasn't really happened.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's what the Darloks want you to believe.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Mzbundifund posted:

That's what the Darloks want you to believe.

The day will come when Darlok infiltrators replace all of Human society, but do it so secretively that none of them realise everybody else they know is also a Darlok.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

nweismuller posted:

The day will come when Darlok infiltrators replace all of Human society, but do it so secretively that none of them realise everybody else they know is also a Darlok.

The Darlok that was Tuesday?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just read the whole thread. Good stuff OP

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Loel posted:

Just read the whole thread. Good stuff OP

Thanks, appreciated. Nice to know people are enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Great job so far, looking forwards to see how the prosecution of Operation Secret Breaker goes. Or whatever we call the war against the Darloks.

• Locked thread