Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Also, Craig Zobol directed my favorite episode of season 2, "international assassin," also known as the guy who founded Homestar Runner.

He's done other stuff like Compliance (also with Ann Dowd) but I just thought that was so neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tick Season 1 starts 25 Aug on Prime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does Person of Interest ever get less vengeance-happy? I know the concept is a vigilante fantasy to begin with, but I'm three seasons in and I'm kinda missing the early episodes where John went out of his way not to kill anyone and was emphatically in the "revenge just fucks you up even worse" camp compared to the black ball of rage he is now. (It also seems to be getting subtly more jingoistic, with the shift from "idealistic heroes vs. corrupt cops and government agencies" to "government is useless but the real threat is BAD private paramilitary groups, which the GOOD private paramilitary groups have to protect you from.")

e: I would be equally happy if the characters continue on their current trajectory but it leads them to tragic ends or to becoming very successful monsters themselves; I don't need to identify with the fiction I consume, I'd just prefer if the overall theme were more agreeable.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 27, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Person of Interest absolutely goes in a different direction than that you're worrying about.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flatluigi posted:

Person of Interest absolutely goes in a different direction than that you're worrying about.

Is the fact that it's on CBS seriously not a concern?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't really follow your post, but it's a finished series so I'm aware of how it ended. It's one of my favorite modern TV shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flatluigi posted:

I don't really follow your post, but it's a finished series so I'm aware of how it ended. It's one of my favorite modern TV shows.

CBS tends to lean towards procedural dramas, or broad situational comedies. They don't really program cutting edge television, they just look to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Their shows tend to be simple to follow, and are as easily enjoyed by 70 year olds as they are by 8 year olds. They're the highest rated Big 3 network for a reason.

Generally, their shows don't appeal to me, so given their track record, I would suspect that Person of Interest would fall into the same category as Cold Case, Blue Bloods, and Elementary.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
probably late but I thought the Hot Girls Wanted miniseries was really captivating, especially the one with the 40 year old ex reality star on Tinder, and episode 5 is straight up the most satisfyingly cringy thing I've ever seen

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I finally got around to watching the Black Mirror Christmas special and god drat I haven't felt this bad since, well, uh, watching other episodes of Black Mirror I guess.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Catastrophe season 3 is coming to Amazon tomorrow. If you haven't seen it yet, catch up. The seasons are only 6 episodes long and I don't think there is a funnier, more accurate show about relationships ever made.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tick Season 1 starts 25 Aug on Prime.

Is this from last years "Pilot Season"? I didn't have Prime last year, but this and a couple other shows only have one episode so I assume they are. Did the pilots come out around the same time last year? If this show does well they'll probably pick up Legend of Master Legend because they seam similar.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to watch a Jonathan Demme film The Manchurian Candidate is on Netflix and is really good

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Michael Corleone posted:

Is this from last years "Pilot Season"? I didn't have Prime last year, but this and a couple other shows only have one episode so I assume they are. Did the pilots come out around the same time last year? If this show does well they'll probably pick up Legend of Master Legend because they seam similar.

I Love Dick, The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson's pilots were all released at the same time and they all got picked up for a full season on Amazon.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tweet my meat posted:

I finally got around to watching the Black Mirror Christmas special and god drat I haven't felt this bad since, well, uh, watching other episodes of Black Mirror I guess.
Yeah, I'm happy there's not that much of that show because it leaves me feeling terrible. The Christmas special is an especially brutal one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nihonniboku posted:

CBS tends to lean towards procedural dramas, or broad situational comedies. They don't really program cutting edge television, they just look to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Their shows tend to be simple to follow, and are as easily enjoyed by 70 year olds as they are by 8 year olds. They're the highest rated Big 3 network for a reason.

Generally, their shows don't appeal to me, so given their track record, I would suspect that Person of Interest would fall into the same category as Cold Case, Blue Bloods, and Elementary.

In this case, I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. If it helps, the show's by Jonathan Nolan who went on to make Westworld right after PoI ended (and has worked on stuff like Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight with his brother Christopher).

PoI might start as a procedural with a bit of a sci-fi bent, but the show goes places and by the end it's turned into something really unique and cool. I recommend it highly.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

It may be the cruelest movie I've ever seen. Definitely don't upload your soul to the cloud. In fact, when the singularity arrives, shoot yourself in the brain.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Season 2 of Documentary Now! is up and it's... I unno. Not as good as the first season? The Swimming to Cambodia & The Kid Stays in the Picture parodies were great, the Jiro Dreams of Sushi parody was good. The Salesmen & War Room parodies were eh and the Stop Making Sense parody was a stinker. Really only two (three since one of them is a two parter) episodes that are worth your time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mysterious frankie posted:

Season 2 of Documentary Now! is up and it's... I unno. Not as good as the first season? The Swimming to Cambodia & The Kid Stays in the Picture parodies were great, the Jiro Dreams of Sushi parody was good. The Salesmen & War Room parodies were eh and the Stop Making Sense parody was a stinker. Really only two (three since one of them is a two parter) episodes that are worth your time.

Thankfully it's episodic enough you can just avoid the lame episodes

The Stop Making Sense one felt like they were too focused on making okay songs to write good jokes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I Love Dick, The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson's pilots were all released at the same time and they all got picked up for a full season on Amazon.

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I Love Dick, The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson 's pilots were all released at the same time and they all got picked up for a full season on Amazon.

This could be a single movie about penis variety

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I found the problem with season 2 to be that it relies way too much on knowledge of the source material. Like, the Stop Making Sense one would... not make any sense at all if you had never heard of The Talking Heads or SMS, you could show it to someone and tell them it's a serious concert film (well, not "serious" but you know)

e: but yeah the Spaulding Gray/Swimming to Cambodia episode was loving fantastic, Bill Hader rulez ok

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

I found the problem with season 2 to be that it relies way too much on knowledge of the source material. Like, the Stop Making Sense one would... not make any sense at all if you had never heard of The Talking Heads or SMS, you could show it to someone and tell them it's a serious concert film (well, not "serious" but you know)

e: but yeah the Spaulding Gray/Swimming to Cambodia episode was loving fantastic, Bill Hader rulez ok

The Stop Making Sense ep cheesed me so much, I think, because I rrrrrrrrreally like Talking Heads so my standards were kinda high.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The show peaked with Al Capone Day.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

PoI might start as a procedural with a bit of a sci-fi bent, but the show goes places and by the end it's turned into something really unique and cool. I recommend it highly.
While it's a shame it ended early, they completely stuck the landing. What a great show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flatluigi posted:

If it helps, the show's by Jonathan Nolan who went on to make Westworld right after PoI ended (and has worked on stuff like Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight with his brother Christopher).

That explains an lot, and definitely encourages me to continue. Thanks everyone.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Agreed on which episodes worked and didn't. Stop Making Sense and Salesmen especially were wasted opportunities. Salesmen just didn't do enough. Stop Making Sense is frustrating because if I sit here and think about some of the jokes individually there are some funny ideas, but the whole episode has an awkward flow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

In this case, I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. If it helps, the show's by Jonathan Nolan who went on to make Westworld right after PoI ended (and has worked on stuff like Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight with his brother Christopher).

Yeah, POI is a fantastic show that's really pretty unique and has a very satisfying ending. Well worth watching to the end.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

david_a posted:

Yeah, I'm happy there's not that much of that show because it leaves me feeling terrible. The Christmas special is an especially brutal one.

Luckily I ended my little binge on San Junipero which was astonishingly hopeful for black mirror and is probably a top 3 episode for me. Nosedive also had a surprisingly happy ending despite her losing all her friends and becoming a social outcast. The scene with her insulting the guy in the cell across from her who seemed to be in the same boat was an adorable way to top off the episode.

Shut up and dance on the other hand I thought was pretty weak despite a strong start. It's no Waldo, but it was one of the weaker stories. Playtest was a decent idea brought down by really dated feeling video game stuff and an absolutely terrible main character, I was cheering for whatever existential ironic horror show awaited him.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

flatluigi posted:

When does it start to make this turn? I started watching the show a while back based on hearing stuff like this before, but I fell off near the end of the first season because I was already starting to tire of the formula.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watch Manglehorn, it's on Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, YouTube, and Google Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVi2i9BPQE

It's a David Gordon Green joint. I'm not even a particular fan of his, but this stuck with me. Very pretty, at least.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well Holy poo poo.

After all the talk of Legion, I just watched the first episode, and I think I've found my new favorite show. I wish that the other marvel TV shows were even close to how amazing Legion's first episode was. The visuals, the acting, and the story line are such a cut above anything else I've been watching recently, I'm 100% hooked.

Thanks for the recommendations to watch on full size screen as well as it wouldn't have been nearly as good on a phone/tablet.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

That ep hosed me over something good.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

precision posted:

I don't see how they have a "SMS" parody and don't even make a joke about the big suit or dancing with the light stand, two of the most memorable sequences in the source material. I did like the way it started off, with the robot.

My main complaint about it is how they shoehorned in the Maya Rudolph character. I've detested her since her days on "SNL", so I'm probably biased, but I felt like her character was completely pointless and unfunny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sand Monster posted:

I don't see how they have a "SMS" parody and don't even make a joke about the big suit or dancing with the light stand, two of the most memorable sequences in the source material. I did like the way it started off, with the robot.

Yeah, I was waiting the entire time for a suit joke, unless the fact that there is no suit joke is supposed to be some meta joke.

Also the songs were not quite bad or funny enough to work as parodies of the Talking Heads, except maybe the kinda forced joke about Byrne's obsession with third world musicians.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Everything coming to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and HBO Now in May

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Monkey Shines on Prime. YES!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Do you like the film "This is Spinal Tap?" Do you want to see the real life version? Watch "Anvil! The Story of Anvil."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you like the film "This is Spinal Tap?" Do you want to see the real life version? Watch "Anvil! The Story of Anvil."

Oh hell yes, seconded.

e: And also Thor on Netflix is pretty good too

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Catastrophe Season 3 is pretty great. I think the thing I love most about it is that in any other show the drama would be horribly overdone and dragged out over a million episodes while the characters act like retards the entire time but in this show the characters keep trudging along in spite of all the things that are happening. It feels much more realistic despite being a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I swear to god, the moment I started watching The Discovery, Netflix showed a 4.5 star rating. As soon as I finish, it's at 2.5 stars. Is this their way of trolling me?

Either way, it was a pretty boring slog that had some hints of an interesting mystery but mostly devolved into a montage of generic melodramatic moments.