Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

:siren: RARE SPAWN DETECTED :siren:

Are there any worthwhile games on that thing besides that one shmup? I seem to recall reading somewhere it's 99% visual novels.

There actually aren't many VNs. But there are a ton of rpg and strategy games so knowledge of Japanese is necessary to get the most from them. I can at least recommend Chip Chan Kick and Zeroigar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I was looking for footage of the Jaguar CD visualizer and found this amazingly awful Jaguar video magazine pilot from 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJmKwXXyE-s

They're reading a teleprompter the whole time and then they answer mail from Jeff Minter and don't know who he is :psyduck:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Monitor Burn posted:

I'll have a modded SNES-Mini available by tomorrow. I usually try to keep one in stock, but its been harder to find consoles in decent condition.

Ok, thanks. It's good to hear you try to stock them regularly. I'll wait to see how my 2chip SFC looks once my OSSC arrives. If I'm still "ehh" then you're probably going to see me in your thread :haw:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Are there any worthwhile games on that thing besides that one shmup? I seem to recall reading somewhere it's 99% visual novels.

It's maybe 50% visual novels/adv games. It has some weird RPG/Strategy & otome games I like and some unique ports of some other games like Langrisser. But seconding what al-azad said as most of the games are real text heavy.

I started with it cause it was cheap at the time and I'm a sucker for some of series that ended up on it; I think I'm 2/3rds or 3/4ths to having a complete collection for it, though most of what I don't have is garbage rehashed VNs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I was quite blindsided when I saw where your AV was from by stumbling across a just-submitted TAS of the game, of all things, having never seen the same before which I never would have expected for a mid-80's first-party Nintendo game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aab00crc0

The TAS also has the distinction of being the first video online of the game being "completed" (it actually ends after 4 loops to get people off the machine). And also someone else had finished a TAS earlier but had been lazy about the submission text.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

The TAS also has the distinction of being the first video online of the game being "completed" (it actually ends after 4 loops to get people off the machine). And also someone else had finished a TAS earlier but had been lazy about the submission text.

I feel like a TAS of the game should feature some kind of elaborately mounted hydraulic press.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah a TAS of a videogame of an arcade arm wrestling game is... weird.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

No and even that one shmup isn't great, I had one and that game years ago. It was a good "investment" (ugh) as I got it dirt cheap boxed/complete in the late 90's and sold it and the game for a whole bunch of money later on but I think I actually played it like 5 times

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah a TAS of a videogame of an arcade arm wrestling game is... weird.

To be clear, it's not a game with an actual arm you wrestle and where physical strength matters, it's a regular joystick and one normal button, and it's regarded as something of a punch-out spinoff since you're arcade little mac, green hair and all, and also due to one of the opponents.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Are the Punch Out* / Arm Wrestling** games just unlicensed Stallone games?

*Rocky
**Over the Top

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

*Rocky
**Over the Top

Mr. Dream could be a knockoff Ivan Drago...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

*Rocky
**Over the Top

Serious answer to not serious question: I think Arm Wrestling pre-dates Over the Top by a year or two since it was in the last wave of original Nintendo arcade games.

Also, I confused Arm Wrestling with that weird arm wrestling game from around the same time that actually had the arm and pressure. There's nothing like an arcade game that can actually injure you to give it a bit more thrill. This is why you play Sonic Blastman, G-Loc 360, and Berzerk.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I confused Arm Wrestling with that weird arm wrestling game from around the same time that actually had the arm and pressure. There's nothing like an arcade game that can actually injure you to give it a bit more thrill. This is why you play Sonic Blastman, G-Loc 360, and Berzerk.

Anyone remember the actual name of this game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

To be clear, it's not a game with an actual arm you wrestle and where physical strength matters, it's a regular joystick and one normal button, and it's regarded as something of a punch-out spinoff since you're arcade little mac, green hair and all, and also due to one of the opponents.

Yeah that's kinda my point though, its so far removed from like, its original design. Is that fun? I guess super punch out is, but I dunno how interesting the patterns or rhythm could be in a arm wrestling game :haw:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ofecks posted:

There's nothing amazing on the PC-FX, but it has a few interesting action games (Team Innocent and Zenki), some novelty FMV fighters (Battle Heat and a Tengai Makyo thing), and a couple anime oddities. It's kinda like the Japanese version of the Jaguar as far as software support goes, though I wouldn't call it as terrible.

On a related note, if you like spotting old game consoles and happen to see Your Name in theaters, pay close attention during the scenes in the high school's A/V room.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

univbee posted:

Anyone remember the actual name of this game?

Arm Champs II.

I'm not sure if Arm Champs I existed. I've never seen one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's kinda my point though, its so far removed from like, its original design. Is that fun? I guess super punch out is, but I dunno how interesting the patterns or rhythm could be in a arm wrestling game :haw:

The game only had a North American release, apparently, which I guess makes sense since American arcade games at that time were all about shuffling people through and trying it a few minutes as a passing curiosity.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

univbee posted:

I was quite blindsided when I saw where your AV was from by stumbling across a just-submitted TAS of the game, of all things, having never seen the same before which I never would have expected for a mid-80's first-party Nintendo game.

I kinda like having an avatar with what is probably the most obscure Nintendo character possible.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The most obscure Nintendo character is Cassim, the donkey that carried Mary into Bethlehem.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/timetwist/timetwist.htm

Or just about any character from Time Twist, really.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, except the ubiquitous ones like Jesus, Abraham Lincoln and Adolf Hitler, anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

I kinda like having an avatar with what is probably the most obscure Nintendo character possible.

Man the sprite they used for Alice is really hideous looking compared to her smiling portrait.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I was mulling over 1CHIP vs SNES-Mini and talked to my friend and he happens to have a spare 1CHIP SFC motherboard so I'm going to buy that from him. Really curious to see the improvement over my stock 2 chip SFC. Is the RGB amp mod something that will make a noticeable difference? I'm incrementally working my way up to an amazing looking setup. I haven't actually been able to find any screenshots of a 1CHIP pre/post RGB amp mod.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Martytoof posted:

Well I was mulling over 1CHIP vs SNES-Mini and talked to my friend and he happens to have a spare 1CHIP SFC motherboard so I'm going to buy that from him. Really curious to see the improvement over my stock 2 chip SFC. Is the RGB amp mod something that will make a noticeable difference? I'm incrementally working my way up to an amazing looking setup. I haven't actually been able to find any screenshots of a 1CHIP pre/post RGB amp mod.

Any 1CHIP based SNES will look assuredly better than the non-1CHIP systems.

http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if you can see it from my cellphone pic but it's it's really a lot sharper in person. Again, totally worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Any 1CHIP based SNES will look assuredly better than the non-1CHIP systems.

http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

It's going to be funny if I get my 1CHIP mobo and it looks amazing through my lovely $50 upscaler and the OSSC doesn't do all that much more to improve.

Like $300 funny.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's a bit of a shame my SNES is not a 1CHIP model, but at this point I think it still looks good enough through the Framemeister that I don't feel the immediate need to go out there and spend money on a 1CHIP (mainly because I don't really have money to spare for that kind of thing at the moment).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 27, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I don't have a 1CHIP but my (childhood!) SNES still looks incredible on a XRGB-mini.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Think of it like this, if you've only ever seen non-1CHIP SNES's you'll be fine. It's when you start comparing it with a 1CHIP in front of you that you start feeling bad.

There have been some people in this thread that have bought many SNES's to get a 1CHIP in the past. I won't name names, but the veterans of this thread know who I'm talking about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've seen a bunch of comparisons in My Life In Gaming vids and such, so I know what the difference is like and it is pretty drastic. If I was buying an SNES now, I'd absolutely try to make sure I get a 1CHIP model but it's not really a priority now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How do I know if my version of the SNES is a good one? I bought one recently that looks like the original one I had when I was a kid. Like this:

How many versions were there that looked basically like this one?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am not too worry about the 1 chip SNES. I still got my 'second' childhood SNES, which my parents bought I think two or three years into the SNES life cycle. Forget why they got a second SNES, but the original was given away at some point after we got the second one. The one I have doesn't have the yellowing plastic the original had, but doesn't seem to have the signs it a 1CHIP either.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

How do I know if my version of the SNES is a good one? I bought one recently that looks like the original one I had when I was a kid. Like this:

Like 7 or 8: https://console5.com/wiki/SNES

To know if you have a 1CHIP, you have to open it up and look at the board identifier for "1CHIP". Serials can also be used but not as reliable since people swap boards sometimes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1H5eQYEG_evwpVmAVMAXa9UC6SAcvblr5igUnmpwRk/pub?output=html

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GreatGreen posted:

All versions of the SNES are the good one though :confused:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wamdoodle posted:

All versions of the SNES are the good one though :confused:

All this talk about 1chip models or whatever have just got me wondering about which version mine is, that's all.

I won't really be able to tell what the actual image quality is until I connect it to a CRT anyway, as the scaler on my flatscreen is garbage.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I modded my SNES Mini for RGB in anticipation for my component cables, and it turns out my TV didn't support it. And now I'm too scared to sell the console because I'm afraid my lovely mod work will fall apart on the buyer. :v:

Maybe someday I'll get a CRT with component inputs or something. It really does look great on a TV that works correctly.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

I modded my SNES Mini for RGB in anticipation for my component cables, and it turns out my TV didn't support it. And now I'm too scared to sell the console because I'm afraid my lovely mod work will fall apart on the buyer. :v:

Maybe someday I'll get a CRT with component inputs or something. It really does look great on a TV that works correctly.

If you wanted to sell it and the console's in otherwise good shape, you could maybe talk to Monitor Burn and see if he'd be willing to buy it as a refurb for his modded console thread.

As for me, I'm not terribly picky about SNES revisions for some reason. Of course, I do have an MB-modded Mini, so it's kind of a moot point. But I'll be way more picky about Sega Genesis revisions (to me, HDG Model 1 > non-HDG Model 1 > most any Model 2, and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:). Probably because even a non-1CHIP SNES is still pretty decent all told, while the Genesis seems to have a lot of variance in its audio and video quality depending on which type you get.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

All this talk about 1chip models or whatever have just got me wondering about which version mine is, that's all.

I won't really be able to tell what the actual image quality is until I connect it to a CRT anyway, as the scaler on my flatscreen is garbage.

If the serial number doesn't start with #3 or even #32 its almost guaranteed not a 1-chip.

But yeah, the way to know for sure is to open the box up and look at the mobo. It'll have a printed 1-CHIP right there on the mobo if its the right one.

I'm making do with my childhood SNES but I'm starting to think about tracking one down...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to take my non-1CHIP SFC to work and pick up a few 2-player VS games. Make for some fun lunchtime brawls. Need to sort through my SD2SNES for some good candidates that won't be completely ruined by upscaler delay.

edit: Oh cool, this site lets you customize your SD2SNES menu:

http://www.dotsarecool.com/sd2snesimg/

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 28, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TheRedEye posted:

"Alice & Ape III" kinda sounds like a weird/bad Amiga platformer, and I'd assumed it was something along those lines until I happened to watch a playthrough of Arm Wrestling.

I personally would've gone with the hobo-looking proto-Wario from Wrecking Crew.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
The RGB Famicom I commissioned Monitor Burn for arrived today!

It's so much better than I imagined. Whoever said it's the biggest quality jump was absolutely right. Even came with a rad dogbone controller so my hands don't hurt after a few hours.

Thanks MB! I'll hit you up again when I'm ready for an RGB 2600! :v:

• Locked thread