Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

In addition to what other people posted: being under a lot of stress definitely can make you sick. And probably that stress and feeling of being overwhelmed (perhaps because you are actually overwhelmed) leads to making more mistakes, and probably can lead to relationship problems too. Probably small teams dealing with kickstarter fulfillment see the number of arguments and disagreements and stuff rise just because everyone's on edge.

The third edge to this sword is that people get sick and have mishaps all the time but probably don't pay them a lot of mind because they've sort of factored the occasional illness of accident into their everyday lives, but suddenly when you have a big project riding on your shoulders is when you really start to notice each and every setback that crops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stumbled on this post at BGG, regarding Blood Rage's Wildboar Clan (Kickstarter Exclusive):

quote:

I got my exclusive edition second-hand a while ago, but among a few tokens it happens to be also missing 2 purple bases.

I contacted CoolMiniOrNot and asked if they could help, but they said that since I'm not the original backer they won't help me, since it was 'exclusive'.

gently caress Kickstarter exclusives.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

occamsnailfile posted:

Meanwhile Blue Rose had some weird tracking number issues and had to reship some stuff, including mine, which will then have to go through the postal service forwarding and hopefully get here soon.

Apparently they were having a ton of issues with books being improperly packaged and damaged in shipping, shipments getting held up because the fulfillment center defaulted to hold orders for combined fulfillment, tons of dead links for tracking numbers, and some replacement shipments that were sent out with beauty care products instead of books.

I haven't gotten any notice of shipping so :shrug:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 27, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Transhuman sci-fi horror RPG, Eclipse Phase is running a Kickstarter to launch a second edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/eclipse-phase-second-edition/description

I wrote some setting material for EP2 and have worked on the last 3 books. This edition aims to streamline the mechanics so it's easier to learn and run.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Transhuman sci-fi horror RPG, Eclipse Phase is running a Kickstarter to launch a second edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/eclipse-phase-second-edition/description

I wrote some setting material for EP2 and have worked on the last 3 books. This edition aims to streamline the mechanics so it's easier to learn and run.

Sup fellow EP2 writer! :hfive:

My favorite change in second edition is that resleeving is a much more streamlined process. There's some other really cool poo poo too!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I am irrationally annoyed by those rewards tiers; print-and-.pdf being a more expensive tier than just print rubs me the wrong way.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LeSquide posted:

I am irrationally annoyed by those rewards tiers; print-and-.pdf being a more expensive tier than just print rubs me the wrong way.

While I don't really begrudge them the money, it does seem weird considering the PDF will presumably be Creative Commons.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I couldn't find a Gloomhaven thread - was wondering what the goonsensus on it is. Everything I've read seems glowing, but I'm a little leery of something with that many fiddly bits. How's it actually play, and how would it work with different groups every session?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

BinaryDoubts posted:

I couldn't find a Gloomhaven thread - was wondering what the goonsensus on it is. Everything I've read seems glowing, but I'm a little leery of something with that many fiddly bits. How's it actually play, and how would it work with different groups every session?

It's the best dungeon crawler ever. It has real, tough, tactical decisions every turn. The campaign layer is a bit of a thin veneer over it, but is solid. It is a pain in the arse to set up/tear down, my storage solution keeps growing. You need like, two tackle boxes, a small tackle box, a CD wallet and an accordian file to speed up setup/tear down which makes it difficult to transport.

I don't think it would work super well with a different group every session because there is a lot to each of the characters. you need to learn to play your dude. It would also damage the campaign layer a bit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Stumbled on this post at BGG, regarding Blood Rage's Wildboar Clan (Kickstarter Exclusive):

Wowwwwww that's actually legitimately really impressive in how fuckin stupid it is.

BinaryDoubts posted:

If you're in the market for a crunchy tactical dungeoncrawling boardgame you could play for like a year and have a group receptive to that idea then it's probably the best choice out there. It plays like a good, solid, crunchy tactical dungeoncrawling game. You can have different groups if you want since continuity isn't necessarily a huge deal and difficulty scales based on character level so introducing newer characters won't automatically put you at a disadvantage, though there's definitely some "choose your own adventure" elements to how the campaign progresses which might be a bit lacking if you constantly had new people coming in without any sort of history behind why the party is trying to help this guy or kill that monster but at the same time you can really just play it as "here's a map with some monsters, make characters and try to beat the scenario" and it works fine.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

clockworkjoe posted:

I wish Posthuman Studios the best of luck with this one. Eclipse Phase is my favorite game I've never gotten to play.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

While I don't really begrudge them the money, it does seem weird considering the PDF will presumably be Creative Commons.

Yeah, I'm considering backing it but $75 just to get a PDF alongside the book is off-putting

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, I'm considering backing it but $75 just to get a PDF alongside the book is off-putting

So back at PDF only and buy the hardback when it comes into stores. Or back at the book but not pdf, or treat it as the original intent behind kickstarter and you're supporting the company to make the thing they want to make.

Just because the likes of coolmini and modiphius et al treat it as a pure pre-order to offset early costs doesn't mean every company is.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

That has nothing to do with KS exclusives. That's CMON being dicks about replacing two inconsequential pieces. As time goes on, I grow less and less tolerant of that company and their lovely support.

Here you go: david@cmon.com. Tell that guy to contact the head of the company for resolution. I've had to do that in the past, and it got results.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PST posted:

So back at PDF only and buy the hardback when it comes into stores. Or back at the book but not pdf, or treat it as the original intent behind kickstarter and you're supporting the company to make the thing they want to make.

Just because the likes of coolmini and modiphius et al treat it as a pure pre-order to offset early costs doesn't mean every company is.
No, the reward tiers are pretty jacked up even for RPGs. The Book Only and PDF Only tiers mostly make sense, but nothing else does.

I was interested, but wow - $110 for a (shipped) book, PDF, and nebulous, unknown, and possibly never unlocked digital stretch goals is nuts.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

dwarf74 posted:

No, the reward tiers are pretty jacked up even for RPGs. The Book Only and PDF Only tiers mostly make sense, but nothing else does.

I was interested, but wow - $110 for a (shipped) book, PDF, and nebulous, unknown, and possibly never unlocked digital stretch goals is nuts.

So you can get this one book and some digital freebies, or for the same price you can get Gloomhaven plus its solo scenarios...

As much as I believe that most RPGs undercharge a bit, that is too expensive. Are they aiming for a $50 margin on each sale??

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's lots of talk about Gloomhaven in the board game thread if you search for it there.

Just got UA3, really pleased so far :)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

BinaryDoubts posted:

While some of the story aspects may get hard to follow if you have people dropping in and out a lot (I've been the one constant in my group so I haven't experienced the issue myself), it's set up mechanically to handle it. The level of the scenario is based on the average level of the characters and the number of monsters in the scenario is based on the number of characters, so every scenario adjusts in difficulty as your party makeup changes. If players are away long enough for the prosperity level of Gloomhaven to go up, then they can level up their characters to the prosperity level for free whenever they want so you can close the gap if you feel like it. The only issue is that you may have made some level up choices or item purchases with combos with another player in mind; it becomes a little harder to take advantage of combos if the party makeup constantly shifts.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Jimbozig posted:

So you can get this one book and some digital freebies, or for the same price you can get Gloomhaven plus its solo scenarios...

As much as I believe that most RPGs undercharge a bit, that is too expensive. Are they aiming for a $50 margin on each sale??

Gloomhaven: 30,503 backers (at present)
Eclipse Phase: 670 backers (at present_
Economies of Scale: Well duh

The reason everyone says that Gloomhaven is a ridiculously good deal, is because it is. That doesn't mean every single product is going to be a ridiculously good deal.

Eclipse phase will, probably have a 3k-5k print run in the end. Heck they might even go 7k if they want to sit on a bunch for a while and eat the initial cost to make higher profits in the long run (all depending on what the kickstarter ends up at).

When it gets to retail, the publisher gets about 40% of the RRP (recommended retail price). Offering it for significantly under that at the kickstarter level a) means retailers stop stocking your stuff and b) means leaving money on the table.

There are several hundred articles out there on how the industry is hosed because of inflexible expectations from the consumer, but a $60 hardback at retail is a loving steal compared to the work involved and the size of distribution.

dwarf74 posted:

To date they have released every* book they've made in PDF for free via creative commons. Either that buys them some goodwill, or it doesn't, and the industry is even more hosed.

Kickstarter was originally about supporting creators, it's become a pre-order system. Sometimes I look at a kickstarter as a pre-order and do not give a poo poo other than value for money. Sometimes I want to support the creator. This is one of the latter.

* There might be one that isn't, but who gives a poo poo, it's hundreds of dollars worth of pdfs for free because that's their business model.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2017

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

PST posted:

it's hundreds of dollars worth of pdfs for free because that's their business model.

Which is why it's loving weird that they are charging extra for PDF + print when the PDF is going to be free later.

I agree that $60 for a book is a good, appropriate price, and if I back, it'll be at that level. Charging $40 more just to add digital stretch goals is not enticing. If you personally want to pay more just to support them, that's good, but don't act confused that others who haven't had all the prior experience with the company that you have are more interested in seeing value for their money.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I view it as an extension of EP's business model. You back to support the product more than to get thr product. Ultimately, all of EP is free and legal. The point of giving any money is to help Posthuman Studios.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
wrong thread yo

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 27, 2017

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Posthuman studios is easily in the top 5 best companies for following through on their promises and way up there in overall quality. I definitely consider them more on the "supporting creators" side of Kickstarter over the "thinly veiled pre-order" side. But I'm just bummed that the submit-picture reward sold out.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Well gently caress. While looking for the Eclipse Phase Second edition I saw this game, Sigil and Sign, Lovecraft mythos game where you are the cultists. I have literally always wanted that game, and it finally exists. My wallet is gonna take a pounding. May have to say goodbye to my Talislanta pledge.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well gently caress. While looking for the Eclipse Phase Second edition I saw this game, Sigil and Sign, Lovecraft mythos game where you are the cultists. I have literally always wanted that game, and it finally exists. My wallet is gonna take a pounding. May have to say goodbye to my Talislanta pledge.

It was looking good up until I saw it was running on Mark Rein*Hagen's Axiom system, which is... not good. Like, makes oWoD look good levels of wonkyness. I'd really recommend you read up the Axiom system rules document on MBG's website before pledging too heavily. That, or just get the setting book, as the art looks lovely.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Axiom just has hilariously bad math at its core. It may be worse than original Storyteller.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

I view it as an extension of EP's business model. You back to support the product more than to get thr product. Ultimately, all of EP is free and legal. The point of giving any money is to help Posthuman Studios.

I'm not opposed to supporting content creators if you like their stuff but this seems like a weird convoluted way of going about it.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah, as others have pointed out, the PDF will be made available for free later. So if that $20 is a deal breaker... you'll get access eventually.

It is a little weird how they've organized it, but they are trying to raise money to support the next few years worth of printing costs, I think.

The fact that Eclipse Phase is creative commons has led to the development of some incredibly cool and useful resources, like Chuck's Eclipse Phase wiki. My players don't really pick up the books to read for fun, but they will poke around a wiki.

That history makes me a little more willing to support the potential stretch goals - even though I'd like to know what they are, too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea from what I've heard on twitter this is less 'we need this or the book fails' and more 'this is hopefully gonna keep us printing for a while as well as help us get this new edition out and ready'. I wish they'd just pitch it as that, frankly, since I'm sure most all their fans have no issue there already. But yea, like all EP things, when you choose to buy their stuff you're not so much buying a single product as you are supporting their general business and getting a copy of a thing you can also have for free as a thank you. I'm in for the stretch goals because of their history too, their last KS was worth it and I imagine for their big second edition push they'll have some neat stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
double post but their first update just pretty much confirmed why I had no problem backing at a higher level. First 2 stretch goals announced, 10% bonus for freelancers at 70k and a second NPC mini-booklet at 85k.

They're also looking into international shipping costs and apparently will have an update there around the fifth.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Cam Banks has just started the Cortex Prime Kickstarter. It's an update to the Cortex+ system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does it come with the genericised version of Marvel Heroics that has character creation rules that MWP have supposedly been working on for the last several years? :v:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Technically yes it's a core system for all three forms of cortex it will include an srd for hacking the system.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does it come with the genericised version of Marvel Heroics that has character creation rules that MWP have supposedly been working on for the last several years? :v:

First update just arrived:

Cam Banks posted:

And I want to respond to the issues people had with older games I worked on, and do a better job this time around of presenting things and include a freaking character creation section that is recognizably one, and oh a ton of other things.

Original emphasis. So I'm guessing yes.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
One Deck Dungeon is kickstarting their first expansion, Forest of Shadows. I'm a big fan of the original game, which is a lightweight cooperative dungeon crawler. It achieves its goals quite well using only cards + dice, as you have the feeling of getting more powerful as you explore a randomly generated, increasingly tough dungeon. There are some interesting choices to be made: fight or run away from an encounter as well as your choice of loot vs exp vs skills gained for finishing an encounter, though it is not incredibly deep.

Also as a pitch, they avoid lots of annoying kickstarter behaviors: they have no ks exclusives, the price + shipping = msrp ($25), and none of the main game are hidden behind stretch goals. The downside is they only have reasonable shipping prices for US. There is a full print and play version for the main game and expansion on the kickstarter page.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TacoNight posted:

One Deck Dungeon is kickstarting their first expansion, Forest of Shadows. I'm a big fan of the original game, which is a lightweight cooperative dungeon crawler. It achieves its goals quite well using only cards + dice, as you have the feeling of getting more powerful as you explore a randomly generated, increasingly tough dungeon. There are some interesting choices to be made: fight or run away from an encounter as well as your choice of loot vs exp vs skills gained for finishing an encounter, though it is not incredibly deep.

Also as a pitch, they avoid lots of annoying kickstarter behaviors: they have no ks exclusives, the price + shipping = msrp ($25), and none of the main game are hidden behind stretch goals. The downside is they only have reasonable shipping prices for US. There is a full print and play version for the main game and expansion on the kickstarter page.
Yeah, this is a really cool solo/co-op dungeon crawl and dice placement game, so I'd recommend backing. Also neat that they buck the trend and only have female characters. It's a bit of a shame that they changed so many cards after the first printing that they're selling an upgrade pack, but at least it's cheap. If I had bought the plastic cards, I would have been really annoyed, though. Especially for people who bought two copies to play with 4 players.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TacoNight posted:

Kind of neat looking and maybe more accessible that LOTR LCG?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Kind of neat looking and maybe more accessible that LOTR LCG?

Much more. The main thing to bear in mind, though, is that it's designed to be hard. As in winning is...not something that happens every time. There are optional "leveling" rules in the core set to help you improve your character, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There's a revival of Button Men, the old Cheapass Games dice game. If you want to try it out, the non-licensed characters from the original game are available for free as print-and-play with old art with artists like Brian Snoddy and Brom. Its fairly cheap as long as you have your own set of dice (and if you're here, you probably do).

It's a nice quick game you can play between other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Much more. The main thing to bear in mind, though, is that it's designed to be hard. As in winning is...not something that happens every time. There are optional "leveling" rules in the core set to help you improve your character, though.

It is also easy to adjust the difficulty without trivializing the game by starting with exp or items. This is useful since I play with my five year old, whose strategy is "all pink dice"