Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Viola the Mad posted:

Would someone mind posting more footage of the Party Tank? I'd go looking for videos myself, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTYTQl7Vx66Q

Party tank battle.

Also included in Party Tank Battle: How to absolutely not play this game, this lameass youtuber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Viola the Mad posted:

Would someone mind posting more footage of the Party Tank? I'd go looking for videos myself, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

Everything I found was a fight instead of letting it be. :smith:

Also the "recommended" videos were all spoiler-ridden.

Supremezero posted:

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTYTQl7Vx66Q

Party tank battle.

Also included in Party Tank Battle: How to absolutely not play this game, this lameass youtuber.

MONSTER

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Everything I found was a fight instead of letting it be. :smith:

Also the "recommended" videos were all spoiler-ridden.

MONSTER

I know! Who the heck plays a Platinum game and spends it running away from the enemy and shooting!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Jeff Vogel, aka Spiderweb Software, had a great discussion on how the goals of games differ from traditional art and it's maybe silly to compare them.

What a terrible article/blog post, although it's impressive in that I think it's the most smug, self-satisfied thing I have ever read. Sure, the premise that the goal of games are different from certain kinds of 'traditional' art is alright, depending on how you think about traditional art... I don't know what kind of definition of art he is using, but it's pretty loving narrow. I love the addition of some metrics to prove his point, such as number of titles, sales, and number of fans... as compared to what? The number of pieces of "art"? The number of fans of "art"? You're right, it's silly to compare them in that way... so why does the article try so hard to do so? And then the article tapers off into some sort of bizarre rant about how video games will destroy all other forms of works, and are coming to consume your mind.

I'm glad the guy is happy being a game developer, and I don't think anyone should be ashamed of enjoying games at all. But the smugness is a bit rich, especially when looking at his games which all appear to be generic-looking isometric fantasy (I could be wrong here, just looking at screenshots).

Edit: to make this Nier related, count me in on those who killed the Party tank, 9S's remark made me think I had to destroy it to proceed.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 27, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I murdered absolutely everything in the park and I regret nothing

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Argas posted:

So you can pick up chicks in a tank.

that's not a reference i expected to see today

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I personally can't wait for the NieR world in Kingdom Hearts 3. C'mon Square Enix, make it happen!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm glad the guy is happy being a game developer, and I don't think anyone should be ashamed of enjoying games at all. But the smugness is a bit rich, especially when looking at his games which all appear to be generic-looking isometric fantasy (I could be wrong here, just looking at screenshots).

Now, I'm not going to claim you're 100% wrong here based on screenshots, but I am going to laugh because you're talking about one of the longest independent game devs in the industry as if he only churns out middling tripe.

(it's hard to call a dude with plots like "the Celts vs the Romans", "wizard genesplicers do Pokémon years before that was a brand", or "you're the fantasy UN and your job as a cop sucks as much as any real one - ever read Shake Hands With The Devil? The RPG" uncreative and he's got plenty of experience to back himself up)

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

Now, I'm not going to claim you're 100% wrong here based on screenshots, but I am going to laugh because you're talking about one of the longest independent game devs in the industry as if he only churns out middling tripe.

(it's hard to call a dude with plots like "the Celts vs the Romans", "wizard genesplicers do Pokémon years before that was a brand", or "you're the fantasy UN and your job as a cop sucks as much as any real one - ever read Shake Hands With The Devil? The RPG" uncreative and he's got plenty of experience to back himself up)

Fair enough, I was only looking at the screenshots on the site. I'll back down on any criticism of his games, since I don't know them, and it was wrong of me to assume from visuals alone.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gully Foyle posted:

Fair enough, I was only looking at the screenshots on the site. I'll back down on any criticism of his games, since I don't know them, and it was wrong of me to assume from visuals alone.

's cool. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a biased party as a longtime fan.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
playing on hard mode made me agree with 2b's excuse. party tank and friends weren't attacking me, I didn't feel like risking them 2 shotting me by picking a fight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I killed the Party Tank because I took the dude saying broken machines beyond there also included that and I didn't want it to threaten the good tamoshii ne boys out front.

I felt bad about it when I learned that they are also WhAt fUn boys

The Amusement Park theme is my favourite BGM in the game for sure. There's another track we'll see when we see which is my favourite overall, but it's not BGM.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I was actively trying to be a horrible person my first playthrough to see what happened, so I killed the party tank.

For assorted reasons, that died with the party tank.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't even have the excuse of not realizing they were non-hostile. I ran in there swords blazing, cut down a whole bunch of them before I realized they weren't fighting back. Then I stopped and felt bad until I got to the party tank and instantly slaughtered it. I blame the robot standing just outside telling you there was a dangerous broken machine that way. You sold me out, top hat machine man! You made me into this!

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So I did very quickly catch onto the fact that the clownbots were not hostile, and willing to talk, so I was more than happy to spare them.

Unfortunately, when Party Tank showed up, and while I was impressed by it's neverending party joy, I didn't immediately spot the exit, thought you had to kill it to proceed as a sad capstone to the area and now I feel really bad for finding out that's not the case.

Sorry Party Tank :(

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I killed the party tank but there was that fine gentleman who said "danger, junk ahead" so I presumed I help people out by blowing up this crazy tank that's just randomly shooting completely harmless colorful projectiles everywhere.

Little did I know that's not the dangerous junk he was referring...

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
He was actually referring to garbage in front of him. Because the player probably killed their share of fun havers getting there.

yoko taro posted:

You are the garbage.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Youll never retake the earth for humanity if you stop the killing at every machine amusement park :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

END ME SCOOB posted:

's cool. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a biased party as a longtime fan.

What's the Fantasy UN game?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JcDent posted:

What's the Fantasy UN game?

Avadon.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

NieR : Automata is the best goddamned steak I've ever eaten.

Also if you killed the party tank you are a monster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fredrik1 posted:

NieR : Automata is the best goddamned steak I've ever eaten.

Also if you killed the party tank you are a monster.

A monster with plenty of bank. :colbert: I regret nothing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The NieR series is the absolute best example to show that video games should be video games and do things that you can only do by being a video game.

Because we're still really early here for good examples to discuss, though we've seen some, think about all the stuff in NieR 1 that you saw in that game that is only possible in a video game medium and how much it enhanced the entire package. Games that pretend to be movies *cough*naughty dog*cough* miss the point in spectacular fashion.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The NieR series is the absolute best example to show that video games should be video games and do things that you can only do by being a video game.

Because we're still really early here for good examples to discuss, though we've seen some, think about all the stuff in NieR 1 that you saw in that game that is only possible in a video game medium and how much it enhanced the entire package. Games that pretend to be movies *cough*naughty dog*cough* miss the point in spectacular fashion.

What, no, TV shows can totally do all the same things as Nie-

Lost: "Please delete your data."

... what data? What's going on, this is just weird.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think you might be looking at David Cage for making movies as video games. The Uncharted series have a shitton of shooting to them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd argue that Uncharted also hits that target of immersion that good games excel at.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

And hold up as good shooters; and as of U4, really nailed the character writing. You can solidly enjoy either aspect, or both together. One is strictly a video game thing, one is typically a literary thing, but together it's just it's own artsy thing.

That's why I liked Nier so much. I picked it up for 12 dollars years after it came out, knew nothing about it, and loved every second of the silly frustrating thing. It had many aspects I liked for many reasons. Games are what we want them to be. If someone wants them to be art, then yeah, they're art. For you, they may not be art at all. And that's okay. Not everyone has to agree.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You should be able to get into the Party Tank and get Ending [P]arty Hard

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

I murdered absolutely everything in the park and I regret nothing

What does it feel like, being worse than hitler?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

really queer Christmas posted:

What does it feel like, being worse than hitler?

:feelsgood:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
is it too late to point out that this area is very good for farming certain chip types?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Iretep posted:

is it too late to point out that this area is very good for farming certain chip types?

Already did that, friendo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I'd argue that Uncharted also hits that target of immersion that good games excel at.

If you're gonna complain about that though, you'd think Max Payne 3 would be your go to example instead.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:stare: Is this boss supposed to remind us of the godawful screaming from the Furiae bossfight in Drakengard 1?

Also a good thread title:

Nier: Automata - Play! Play! Let's Play!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Billzasilver posted:

Also a good thread title:

Nier: Automata - Play! Play! Let's Play!

Take a look at the first post of the thread~

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lots of pussies in this thread letting machines get away scot free. That Tank probably killed 400 kittens, boars and puppies.

You are Soldiers, act like it.

For the Glory of Mankind *salutes *

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

After buying the soundtrack, I immediately put the Amusement Park theme and City Ruins (Shade) on repeat for hours before even listening to the rest of the soundtrack. Aside from the ending theme they're my favorite tracks in the game.

I also had no idea the Party Tank used proper turn signals because ~someone~ went all murder crazy on it...That's such a Yoko taro touch :v:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I cannot believe so many of you heinous fuckers destroyed the Party Tank. :sad:

Should have the next update tomorrow. Beyond that, Saturday (4/29) at 1:00 PM EDT, I'm going to do a stream of the remaining six plus hours of Kingdom Hearts 2 cutscenes if that's your kinda thing. I streamed the rest of the series' cutscenes up to this point last year and earlier this year.

Sora, Donald and Goofy will be happening here. This is the really good end of the spectrum of anime bullshit writing. Come watch the most dire for contrast:
http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

Edit: Also happy 7th anniversary to the original Nier. :toot:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 27, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Happy Anniversaray :toot:

Also nice avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Pigbuster posted:

Take a look at the first post of the thread~