Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cockmaster posted:

It's kinda bad form in general to assume that players have played any of the previous games in a given series, let alone games spanning multiple systems. Especially if your target demographic isn't exactly swimming in disposable income - any 13 year old who isn't the very model of a spoiled rich kid is unlikely to own all that hardware.

I think that might be the point. The reason for all the spin offs and side stories is that those games are largely unconnected from the games that come before them and from the games that follow--playing all the previous games isn't necessary for them, and playing them isn't necessary for playing later games. The whole conceit of all that those games being ostensibly necessary for the understanding the full franchise is largely marketing.

The plot of Kingdom Hearts 1 is continued in 2 and then into 3D. You don't really need the other 50 games, unless you want to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Schwarzwald posted:

I think that might be the point. The reason for all the spin offs and side stories is that those games are largely unconnected from the games that come before them and from the games that follow--playing all the previous games isn't necessary for them, and playing them isn't necessary for playing later games. The whole conceit of all that those games being ostensibly necessary for the understanding the full franchise is largely marketing.

The plot of Kingdom Hearts 1 is continued in 2 and then into 3D. You don't really need the other 50 games, unless you want to play them.

the issue is 2 references Chain of Memories heavily (otherwise, Namine, and Axel and other Nobodies are kind of out of nowhere) - 363/2 expands on the Nobody business, and 3's setting up to heavily require 3D and Birth by Sleep to understand what's going on.

Re:Coded, and chi are basically the only ones that have zero plot importance.

I mean, I love the series, it's fun to play, but I won't excuse the poor organization, and the plot isn't super-great, but least for me it hits the sweet spot of cheesy-bad to be enjoyable and somewhat invested.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

car movie the third sure is a movie that exists :geno:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PenguinKnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

car movie the third sure is a movie that exists :geno:

Wait, so...at the end there are old rusted tractors mooing like cows and stampeding while Lightning races through them...
Are the cars in the world animals now, too? Is it a pun about putting a car out to pasture? Is there a religious significance to this, somehow?
:psyduck:

Or is McQueen just racing through a field of senile and possibly retarded older generation of vehicles?

And that stupid damsel in distress trainer car he's working with just seems like an idiotic ploy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did alexander mcqueen's silver girlfriend die or what

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Drifter posted:

Wait, so...at the end there are old rusted tractors mooing like cows and stampeding while Lightning races through them...
Are the cars in the world animals now, too? Is it a pun about putting a car out to pasture? Is there a religious significance to this, somehow?
:psyduck:

Or is McQueen just racing through a field of senile and possibly retarded older generation of vehicles?

And that stupid damsel in distress trainer car he's working with just seems like an idiotic ploy.

the tractors were like that in the first film as well

Pick posted:

Did alexander mcqueen's silver girlfriend die or what

she was blue and she shows up in the trailer roughly 47 seconds in ("how're you feeling?")

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Actually, Frozen 2 is a film adaptation of those weird frozen flash games on the internet.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Rangpur posted:

"Owning a pet is a serious commitment" isn't a bad message, but presenting it as 'the animals you left behind remember your face and want to murder you' is a really weird choice.

Nah, that's actually one of the few redeeming qualities of the movie, and what still puts it over, say, Zootopia. The problem is the pay-off: Snowball (whose name is an overt allusion to the Stalinist pig of Animal Farm) is written-off as just an 'extreme personality' who easily assimilates into domestication.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the tractors were like that in the first film as well

Are there other carnimals, or is it a one-off?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, this looks more like the sequel Cars deserved than Cars 2 did - something that more directly plays off themes set up in the first one (with Doc Hudson's career ending as abruptly as it did). Well, themes a bit heavier than "durr hurr Mater shore is funny," anyway. No idea if they'll stick the landing, but I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Drifter posted:

Are there other carnimals, or is it a one-off?
I think one of the two prior films had car bugs. Make of that what ya will.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

K. Waste posted:

Nah, that's actually one of the few redeeming qualities of the movie, and what still puts it over, say, Zootopia. The problem is the pay-off: Snowball (whose name is an overt allusion to the Stalinist pig of Animal Farm) is written-off as just an 'extreme personality' who easily assimilates into domestication.

Are you saying Secret Life of Pets is better than Zootopia?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

Wasn't that one of the crazy credit sequences that was parodying the other Pixar films?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

K. Waste is an accelerationist and a Marxist.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gonna make a joke about Mikey's short stint in the Trenchcoat Mafia, but holy poo poo that clip. Goofy as a Jesus figure.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, this looks more like the sequel Cars deserved than Cars 2 did - something that more directly plays off themes set up in the first one (with Doc Hudson's career ending as abruptly as it did). Well, themes a bit heavier than "durr hurr Mater shore is funny," anyway. No idea if they'll stick the landing, but I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Cars 2 had those little rubber band powered planes in place of birds.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Rangpur posted:

I watched The Secret Life of Pets because I wanted to know how it made so much goddamned money. It wasn't Frozen-big, but it made bank. After watching it, I still don't really know the answer.

From the premise I assumed it would be about the ways pets act counter to expectations when we're not around. Like the dignified french poodle that likes thrash metal, for example. But he's the only one, and all the other animals instead act exactly how we envision an animal's inner life. The loyal dog waits dutifully for his owner to return; the excitable dog gets excitable over TV; cat is fat, lazy rear end in a top hat, dog hates squirrel, etc. Oh but the rabbit is bloodthirsty and vengeful so I guess that counts? Which is the other thing that stood out to me. "Owning a pet is a serious commitment" isn't a bad message, but presenting it as 'the animals you left behind remember your face and want to murder you' is a really weird choice.

It takes these stabs at emotional heft, but they can't focus on it (or anything, really) for longer than five minutes. Everything feels disjointed; it's a mess. Credit where it's due, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the likes of Shark Tale. There are a couple funny bits (I liked the viper), and I appreciate that they let the villain have a hopeful ending, because based on the rest of the movie I thought he was headed for a Fatal Attraction reference. Overall, it's just kinda... there.

That first trailer was absolutely incredible. Every kid in America was pestering their parents after that. It's the best part of the whole thing and it feels like they wrote that first and then came up with a movie later. You're right that the sequence is not actually very imaginative though (although that's part of the appeal).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedrigall posted:

In a certain regard, it's more entertaining. The strongest thing that can be said in its favor is that its mercifully shorter than Zootopia, and that its more aloof and anarchic tone allows it to get a little more nuanced.

All things considered, though, I'd say they're about equal.

Pick posted:

K. Waste is an accelerationist and a Marxist.

I am definitely not an accelerationist.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Pets is kinda lovely because it's just Toy Story 1 and 2 but shittier. The basic conceit of beloved companions with secret lives is Toy Story's conceit but shittier. The conflict between the dogs is Buzz and Woody but shittier. The friends looking for Max is the subplot of Toy Story 2 but shittier. Snowball and the strays are the outcast toys but more mean spirited and lovely. At least Zootopia isn't plainly just a lovely version of something.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Zootopia and The Secret Life are both the plainly mediocre versions of themselves. Neither is particularly exceptional for its genre, but both are visually attractive, minimizing the evidence of social ills with pop escapism and wish-fulfillment. The Secret Life isn't lovely or mean-spirited. The presentation of Snowball and the Flushed Pets, and Tiberius the hawk, is completely earnest, but also comically extreme. Tiberius almost kills and eats Gidget, but she shows compassion for him anyway. Unlike Zootopia, where the threat of 'over-consumption' is simply written off as the figments of some obscure prejudice, the characters of The Secret Life actually confront and work through their seemingly intractable differences.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

porfiria posted:

Pets is kinda lovely because it's just Toy Story 1 and 2 but shittier. The basic conceit of beloved companions with secret lives is Toy Story's conceit but shittier. The conflict between the dogs is Buzz and Woody but shittier. The friends looking for Max is the subplot of Toy Story 2 but shittier. Snowball and the strays are the outcast toys but more mean spirited and lovely. At least Zootopia isn't plainly just a lovely version of something.

If anything is lovely about Zootopia, it's that people need a movie with talking animals to tell them "Hey, stop being a dick to people."

What's even worse is that there are people who didn't GET the message until some talking animals told them it...

Also, reading your post made the word" lovely" lose any and all meaning. :v: That was also kinda lovely.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

K. Waste posted:

Zootopia and The Secret Life are both the plainly mediocre versions of themselves. Neither is particularly exceptional for its genre, but both are visually attractive, minimizing the evidence of social ills with pop escapism and wish-fulfillment. The Secret Life isn't lovely or mean-spirited. The presentation of Snowball and the Flushed Pets, and Tiberius the hawk, is completely earnest, but also comically extreme. Tiberius almost kills and eats Gidget, but she shows compassion for him anyway. Unlike Zootopia, where the threat of 'over-consumption' is simply written off as the figments of some obscure prejudice, the characters of The Secret Life actually confront and work through their seemingly intractable differences.

There's a lot of just shoddy knockoffs. Like the bit in the hotdog factory is just the land of chocolate bit from The Simpsons except A) Not as funny B) Unmotivated (are they high? Homer is a well known fantasist and idiot) C) Pointless D) Uh I dunno hotdogs are dumb. The whole movie is this. Zootopia has some dumb references too (the Godfather part) but at least they're upfront about giving the mutton brained parents something to giggle knowingly at.

Or like, the whole thing of the movie is "Maybe this is what your pet gets up to all day!" but then there's bits where clearly hyperintelligent pets assault animal control officers and drive vehicles. Like, this changes our understanding of humanity's place in the cosmos but no one cares.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wasn't that one of the crazy credit sequences that was parodying the other Pixar films?
I wasn't even thinking of the Bug's Life parody when I was saying that, actually. I think there were actual honest-to-God car bugs in the context of the film proper. I just don't remember where...

porfiria posted:

At least Zootopia isn't plainly just a lovely version of something.
I mean, it's apparently very similar in concept to 48 Hrs, though I dunno that I'd call it a lovely version of it, so I suppose you're still right.

ThermoPhysical posted:

If anything is lovely about Zootopia, it's that people need a movie with talking animals to tell them "Hey, stop being a dick to people."

What's even worse is that there are people who didn't GET the message until some talking animals told them it...
Or, perhaps, that there's people who watched the film and then associate it with their own far-right ideology, which is like, what

You watched Zootopia

And now you're using that image macro of Nick holding up a phone to show him smugly counting down until Obama's out of office and Trump's in power

Are you sure you understood Zootopia

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

No you're right there are bugs that are cars too, theres a few scenes where you see flys in the shape of cars on windows.

In fact the only non car related creatures in the movie are the blink-and-miss-it cameos of the birds from that old short.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am watching Oliver and Company.

I appreciate this film about cattes

e: not as many cattes as anticipated

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 27, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Or, perhaps, that there's people who watched the film and then associate it with their own far-right ideology, which is like, what

You watched Zootopia

And now you're using that image macro of Nick holding up a phone to show him smugly counting down until Obama's out of office and Trump's in power

Are you sure you understood Zootopia

they understand it perfectly, they simply disagree, and also understand how easy it is to gently caress with the kind of liberal who thinks Zootopia is a transformative cure to all bigotry. I'd venture they might actually understand it better than you do.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Okay this Bette Midler Norma-Desmond-esque pooch might have saved this movie for me because, before this song started, :geno:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Georgette was great and deserved a bigger role. Cut that bulldog and the dumb one, who the gently caress are they anyway.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Finished, meh.

Edit: I'm sorry

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For gods sakes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I am watching Oliver and Company.

I appreciate this film about cattes

e: not as many cattes as anticipated

I legitimately think this may have been the first movie I ever saw in theatres so it'll always have a fond place in my heart.

Despite not actually being very good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pick posted:

For gods sakes

Hah, sorry I missed it. I think.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Finished, meh.

Edit: I'm sorry

Now I wonder what lays beyond the veil of edits.

Martytoof posted:

I legitimately think this may have been the first movie I ever saw in theatres so it'll always have a fond place in my heart.

Despite not actually being very good.

It does have some charm. The animation is well above average, several of the songs are pretty good, like Why Should I Worry?, Streets of Gold and Perfect Isn't Easy.

The problems are threefold.
First, Oliver is, as an actor and character, overshadowed by everyone else. He's a nonentity.
Second, the story is a bit meandering and the pacing not very good mostly because of the above and also....
Third, Sykes is just not a good villain. He's not menacing, interesting, well established or really involved. His henchdoges get more screentime. (They are also better looking, animated, and written than he is.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

Hah, sorry I missed it. I think.

LeJackal posted:

Look, it's best we all forget about it and move on

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pixeltendo posted:

No you're right there are bugs that are cars too, theres a few scenes where you see flys in the shape of cars on windows.

In fact the only non car related creatures in the movie are the blink-and-miss-it cameos of the birds from that old short.

The Cars movie doesn't take place on earth, old or new, but on Cybertron.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Penisstacheln.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ooh that's really sweet :3:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/tolkien-cs-lewis-disney-snow-white-narnia-hobbit-dwarves

This is pretty good.

quote:

It’s no secret that J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were legendary frenemies. But while they may have sparred over fantasy and religion, they shared one little-known viewpoint: a disdain for the works of Walt Disney.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

porfiria posted:

There's a lot of just shoddy knockoffs. Like the bit in the hotdog factory is just the land of chocolate bit from The Simpsons except A) Not as funny B) Unmotivated (are they high? Homer is a well known fantasist and idiot) C) Pointless D) Uh I dunno hotdogs are dumb. The whole movie is this. Zootopia has some dumb references too (the Godfather part) but at least they're upfront about giving the mutton brained parents something to giggle knowingly at.

Or like, the whole thing of the movie is "Maybe this is what your pet gets up to all day!" but then there's bits where clearly hyperintelligent pets assault animal control officers and drive vehicles. Like, this changes our understanding of humanity's place in the cosmos but no one cares.

The 'cosmos' of the film is the same as Madagascar or Rio or Finding Dory or any of Illumination's other properties. Which is to say, The Secret Life of Pets is not a pitch. There is no pretense that it could take place in 'the real world' or something, and the animals are not 'hyperintelligent' in their own universe. I agree that the title is dumb, and probably evidence of misspent opportunity. But the willful absurdism is its own defense.

Zootopia's own references and episodic meandering are no more or less upfront. Its motivation is just as surface-level. The difference is that Zootopia is slightly less absurd, but The Secret Life is way more gleefully morbid. Much as Bunny Cop's utopian fantasies conflict with the banal discrimination permeating Zootopia, C.K. Dog's naive conception of NYC and his relationship with his owner conflicts with compounding references to death, killing, imprisonment, waste, neglect, over-consumption, etc. If anything, it's The Secret Life which is more upfront in this regard, showing in no uncertain terms that the line between bougie urban domesticity and total abjection is paper thin.

But neither film sufficiently articulates a solution to this scenario outside of generic escapism and cartoon plasticity. Bunny-Cop concludes that we just need to try real hard to understand each other's lived experiences, but nobody is doing anything about the de facto Jim Crow laws and all the animals in prison on trumped-up charges. Snowball learns that all he really needed was to be loved in order to sublimate his violent urges, but the very real abuse and neglect that produces the Flushed Animal underclass is written off completely.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's fine by me because they're both wretched authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LeJackal posted:

It does have some charm. The animation is well above average, several of the songs are pretty good, like Why Should I Worry?, Streets of Gold and Perfect Isn't Easy.

The problems are threefold.
First, Oliver is, as an actor and character, overshadowed by everyone else. He's a nonentity.
Second, the story is a bit meandering and the pacing not very good mostly because of the above and also....
Third, Sykes is just not a good villain. He's not menacing, interesting, well established or really involved. His henchdoges get more screentime. (They are also better looking, animated, and written than he is.)

Thank you! The Music is good, but it's cool to hate on Billy Joel so people tend to poo poo on it.

And kind of easy for a young actor to get upstaged by the likes of Cheech, Bette Midler, and Billy Joel and Disney hadn't really prepare for it. Then again, I think that's also an issue with he source material, Oliver is kind of a non-entity aside from being a sad good child that Victorian society screws over.

The dogs were definitely better villains, but having them fall and get electrocuted on the third rail was being fuckin' horrifying, they're bad guys but they're still dogs. Apparently Disney had to prove they didn't shock dogs because the sounds were just too real for the audience.