Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I hope the new series has the jjtrek Klingons. they cool as hell

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flipswitch posted:

I hope the new series has two jjtrek Klingons the cool as hell

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those heads look weird. Not a fan of those.:(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't scare Flipswitch, I don't think they were reading the thread when that whole thing went down.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I like my Klingons hairy and my Sulus ffflllaaaaming

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is baldness really stigmatized today?

Besides Patrick Stewart we've got
Jason Statham
Bruce Willis
Howie Mandel
Damon Wayons
Samuel L Jackson

Probably a lot more

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's more that awful attempts to hide or minimize baldness is stigmatized. Obvious wigs or pieces, bad comb-overs, sprays and such. Owning it works.

Commercials still sell the horror of it though, and that wouldn't work if people didn't see it as a bad thing. Sold it even more when TNG came out, as that was still the age of hair club for men and it's ilk.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 26, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

remusclaw posted:

It's more that awful attempts to hide or minimize baldness is stigmatized. Obvious wigs or pieces, bad comb-overs, sprays and such. Owning it works.

Yep. I dated a balding dude for years but he had a rockin' bod and the only time I noticed he was balding was when he was the one that called attention to it.

Reminds me of the famous words of wisdom: "you can be fat, you can be bald, but don't let yourself be fat and bald." Being bald on top of looking shabby is just a multiplier of your shabbiness. Being bald while looking sleek is a multiplier of your aerodynamic qualities.

Case in point: Rom :swoon:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Full dome looks good if you have a good skull.

Everything else is bad

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm a pakled :smith:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Baldness is still kinda stigmatized. That's not to say that a bald/ing man can't be considered good-looking or respectable by society, but chances are, when you picture a sad, pathetic, lonely older man, you're going to imagine him balding.

vermin posted:

I'm a pakled :smith:

Hey gently caress you buddy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being ugly is stigmatized, a lot of people can be bald or balding and not look ugly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TNG always used to make a big deal about what great shape Picard was in, mainly in the early seasons. Not a big deal one way or another but something that's noticeable enough.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

And pouches.

And pouldrons.

Cable from X-Men is in fact wearing the future version of a tuxedo.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

remusclaw posted:

Commercials still sell the horror of it though, and that wouldn't work if people didn't see it as a bad thing. Sold it even more when TNG came out, as that was still the age of hair club for men and it's ilk.

Dude, I know someone who is bald and while he keeps the rest of his hair, he lets that part grow long like a Terry Bradshaw, looks really ugly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

Baldness is still kinda stigmatized. That's not to say that a bald/ing man can't be considered good-looking or respectable by society, but chances are, when you picture a sad, pathetic, lonely older man, you're going to imagine him balding.

Hey gently caress you buddy

Those are a lot of big words for a Pakled! Good for you!

*pats you on the head in a condescending manner before sending over the Chief Engineer*

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, is Discovery still happening

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
The biggest Discovery is inside us

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Didn't the original guy who leaked that come back to say they aren't Klingons afterall?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Didn't the original guy who leaked that come back to say they aren't Klingons afterall?

Yes but that could also be cya

They're probably remans or something

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trendacosta (who, to be fair, is one of i09's better writers -- granted, that's not saying much) really, really gives Fuller an undeserved free pass, despite citing two articles which say that CBS was getting pissed at how long he was taking before being ready to shoot episodes. He asked for and received one delay from CBS, but at some point you need to poo poo or get off the pot, and the last sentence of that story (saying that if Discovery sucks, it's entirely CBS' fault) is bullshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Trendacosta (who, to be fair, is one of i09's better writers -- granted, that's not saying much)

:confused: Trendacosta is easily one of the site's worst writers, right up there with Rob Bricken and Beth Elderkin. The only worthwhile writer they have now is Evan Narcisse. io9 was my go-to sci-fi news site 3 years ago, but lately it's been AICN levels of terrible.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What are the must-watch episodes on TNG?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The real simple uniforms make sense as a - you know - uniform, although I think the TOS ones are the actually most flexible in terms of hosed-up aliens. As for other poo poo, I imagine the real reason they didn't make it fancy for hew-mons is to save money and labor. Or possibly to keep them boring in Voyager.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Measure of a Man
Best of Both Worlds 1
Yesterday's Enterprise
The inner Light
Darmok
Sarek
Redemption 1 / 2
Tapestry
Cause and Effect
The First Duty
Chain of Command 1 / 2
All Good Things...

Edit: I'm sure Farmer Crack-rear end will come in to add some, but I feel this is a pretty definitive list.

Edit 2: poo poo, I forgot Relics, I Borg and Sins of the Father.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There are other episodes that are "must watch" in terms of story and character development but these are, in my opinion, the best of the best.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who
The Defector
Deja Q
Yesterday's Enterprise
Sins of the Father
The Best of Both Worlds, parts 1 and 2
Remember Me
Reunion
Clues
The Drumhead
Redemption, parts 1 and 2
Darmok
Conundrum
Cause and Effect
I Borg
The Inner Light
Time's Arrow, parts 1 and 2 (gently caress the haters)
Chain of Command, parts 1 and 2
Tapestry
Parallels
Lower Decks
All Good Things

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You guys don't watch Family right after BoBW 1&2?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beachcomber posted:

You guys don't watch Family right after BoBW 1&2?

Yeah that one should have made my list. I'm sure there are other really good ones I'm missing.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I can't lurk this thread in good conscience without giving Frame of Mind a nod in addition to the other episodes that have been mentioned. It might be my favorite TNG episode period.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

The Measure of a Man
Best of Both Worlds 1
Yesterday's Enterprise
The inner Light
Darmok
Sarek
Redemption 1 / 2
Tapestry
Cause and Effect
The First Duty
Chain of Command 1 / 2
All Good Things...

Edit: I'm sure Farmer Crack-rear end will come in to add some, but I feel this is a pretty definitive list.

Edit 2: poo poo, I forgot Relics, I Borg and Sins of the Father.

That's a really solid list. I think I would only add Family as another "must see" episode. There were several other episodes that came to mind that I think are really good, but I'm hesitant to turn it from "must watch" to "my favorites".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Brothers (esp. after watching Family)
First Contact ("always wanted to make love to an alien", not the movie)
Half a Life (the only must-watch Lwaxana Troi, also :swoon: David Ogden Stiers)

Probably can think of more on the way to work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Who Watches the Watchers".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would put Conspiracy on there, it's a decent early one

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is the mark of a good series, when people keep expanding the must watch list.

For Voy or Ent, there would be arguments about what things that people have in their list should be kicked off.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In the new MST3K series on netflix, episode 3, "time travelers" is like a mediocre TOS episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

There are other episodes that are "must watch" in terms of story and character development but these are, in my opinion, the best of the best.

The Measure of a Man
Q Who
The Defector
Deja Q
Yesterday's Enterprise
Sins of the Father
The Best of Both Worlds, parts 1 and 2
Remember Me
Reunion
Clues
The Drumhead
Redemption, parts 1 and 2
Darmok
Conundrum
Cause and Effect
I Borg
The Inner Light
Time's Arrow, parts 1 and 2 (gently caress the haters)
Chain of Command, parts 1 and 2
Tapestry
Parallels
Lower Decks
All Good Things

But where are all the amazing Wesley episodes??!

So many to choose from like....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blazing Ownager posted:

But where are all the amazing Wesley episodes??!

So many to choose from like....

The First Duty. Which is also a really good episode that any TNG list should include.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would put Conspiracy on there, it's a decent early one

I guess in the sense of showing someone how bizarre the first season could be, but it's not "must-see" in the sense of representing the series in any way.

Haven't seen it since I was a kid, though, should see how those "this was on broadcast TV? :psyduck:" effects look in the remaster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nebakenezzer posted:

In the new MST3K series on netflix, episode 3, "time travelers" is like a mediocre TOS episode.

Until you get to the part where the android is speared to a wall and literally torn to shreds while still functioning. Then it becomes Pulaski Holodeck Program 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's a really solid list. I think I would only add Family as another "must see" episode. There were several other episodes that came to mind that I think are really good, but I'm hesitant to turn it from "must watch" to "my favorites".

I enjoy Family, but only the Picard stuff -- Worf's parents are so, so over-the-top that it's painful and the subplot about the Crushers is just boring.