Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering that city life is making everyone mentally ill i'm not sure destroying the little bit of nature some of you monsters ever see is actually a good thing. Keep the greenbelt and build arcologies.

I want to live my cyberpunk neonlit megacity dreams out thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering that city life is making everyone mentally ill i'm not sure destroying the little bit of nature some of you monsters ever see is actually a good thing. Keep the greenbelt and build arcologies.

London has beautiful (and huge, for such a large city) parks, yeah, don't touch them, I love them.

Also, your typical London flat is already like living in an arcology.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that a fancy word for shed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't want to imagine what a British arcology would be like.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The Tricorn Centre was a sort of tiny proto-arcology. It included residential flats, a shopping arcade, leisure units that were used for nightclubs and laser tag, and a multistorey car-park - all in one concrete brutalist monstrosity.
By the time I was growing up it was an abandoned, piss-reeking wreck, but it was still a crying shame when they tore it down and put in a flat tarmac car park with probably half the capacity.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Is that a fancy word for shed?

More like an outhouse with a bed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Oberleutnant posted:

an abandoned, piss-reeking wreck
This, but with more pedos.

Also what a British economy would be like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

The Tricorn Centre was a sort of tiny proto-arcology. It included residential flats, a shopping arcade, leisure units that were used for nightclubs and laser tag, and a multistorey car-park - all in one concrete brutalist monstrosity.
By the time I was growing up it was an abandoned, piss-reeking wreck, but it was still a crying shame when they tore it down and put in a flat tarmac car park with probably half the capacity.

It looks horrifying.

And I like brutalism.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought ppl in isolated places were more depressed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Humans are social creatures but we are not naked mole rats.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It looks horrifying.

And I like brutalism.
Yeah? Well that opinion puts you in a club of two, you share membership with Prince Charles rear end in a top hat! :mad:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Government has lost its bid to block the air pollution report, which is rumored to slam the government and recommend banning of diesel cars among other things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39737981

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah? Well that opinion puts you in a club of two, you share membership with Prince Charles rear end in a top hat! :mad:

The pictures online only show a weird car park in the middle of an indiscernible pile of concrete.

Brutalism's supposed to be, like, impressively oppressive, not "every city center in the UK" oppressive.

I want to know that my corporate overlords care enough to set out to dull my soul properly rather than just letting the free market sort it out.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 27, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

No, that's people who have to spend time around you that end up more depressed.

Oberleutnant posted:

Neil's a Tory, Marr's a Tory, Nick Robinson was president of their loving youth club. Tommy Pickles is a Tory, or so I hear. They're all tories.

But the BBC has a left wing bias. :jerkbag:

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 27, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Lets not make light of mental illness

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The pictures online only show a weird car park in the middle of an indiscernible pile of concrete.

Brutalism's supposed to be, like, impressively oppressive, not "every city center in the UK" oppressive.

You can see a sort of survey of the old structure here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/portsmouths-tricorn-center-without-city-marcel-krenz
Most pictures only show the car park because it fronted onto a road offering unobstructed views. The rest was pretty well enclosed by surrounding buildings so it was super dingy and grim, and I can vividly remember the stench of that place even as an adult. Just like the nastiest pub toilet you've ever been in, but all the time.

That's probably the perfect model of a british arcology.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

It's possible to live in a densely populated city and still feel "isolated" due to little or no sense of community.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want good Brutalism you have to go to Germany

Oberleutnant posted:

You can see a sort of survey of the old structure here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/portsmouths-tricorn-center-without-city-marcel-krenz
Most pictures only show the car park because it fronted onto a road offering unobstructed views. The rest was pretty well enclosed by surrounding buildings so it was super dingy and grim, and I can vividly remember the stench of that place even as an adult. Just like the nastiest pub toilet you've ever been in, but all the time.

That's probably the perfect model of a british arcology.

The interior picture looks pleasingly dystopian so if it's like that all the way through then yeah it's good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 27, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's distinctly unfair to the middle ages. In that period, charity was dispensed on the basis of personal need, not restricted by arbitrary cut offs.

So the middle ages operated a "to each according to their need" policy? Surprised that doesn't get mentioned more often round here.
I was more hosed off at the implicit position that any third child (of a poor woman) will be treated as worthless to society unless the product of rape or an abusive relationship, and only then if the mother can convince the prejudiced powers that be that she really, really did suffer and is worthy. Also, can you imagine the stigma hell such a "rape baby" child could go through in later life?

All this mugwump talk and no mention of Bill Burroughs (apart from the Bomb The Bass track posted)? smdh Boris might have been thinking* of the joke that a mugwump is a person sitting on the fence, with his mug on one side and his wump on the other.
*No thought went into his word vomit.

RIP Britsh comic maestro Leo Baxendale.

This

Breath Ray posted:

Lets not make light of mental illness
is a great response to

forkboy84 posted:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Huge failed brutalist nightmares, you say? Got you covered

Russia is probably full of those too

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's the interviewer. The host.
hosed up if true!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ukle posted:

Government has lost its bid to block the air pollution report, which is rumored to slam the government and recommend banning of diesel cars among other things.

gently caress off, Brussels

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Banning sprouts might help stop air pollution a bit too, it's true.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Have just had a Labour leaflet for the council elections put through my door - it proposes a "council-run" energy company. Does anyone know anything like that already existing elsewhere? Seems like an interesting idea.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

No, that's people who have to spend time around you that end up more depressed.

Not to mention Laura Kuenssberg who seems to have a deep, burning desire to humiliate Jeremy Corbyn.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

This

is a great response to

Thank you. Here is the thing I had in mind:

Format: AbstractSend to
Fam Med. 2006 Oct;38(9):653-60.
Rural-urban differences in depression prevalence: implications for family medicine.

Probst JC1, Laditka SB, Moore CG, Harun N, Powell MP, Baxley EG.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Rural populations experience more adverse living circumstances than urban populations, but the evidence regarding the prevalence of mental health disorders in rural areas is contradictory. We examined the prevalence of depression in rural versus urban areas.
METHODS:
We performed a cross-sectional study using the 1999 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). In face-to-face interviews, the NHIS administered the Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short Form (CIDI-SF) depression scale to a nationally representative sample of 30,801 adults, ages 18 and over.
RESULTS:
An estimated 2.6 million rural adults suffer from depression. The unadjusted prevalence of depression was significantly higher among rural than urban populations (6.1% versus 5.2% ). After adjusting for rural/urban population characteristics, however, the odds of depression did not differ by residence. Depression risk was higher among persons likely to be encountered in a primary care setting: those with fair or poor self-reported health, hypertension, with limitations in daily activities, or whose health status changed during the previous year.
CONCLUSIONS:
The prevalence of depression is slightly but significantly higher in residents of rural areas compared to urban areas, possibly due to differing population characteristics.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Party Boat posted:

It's possible to live in a densely populated city and still feel "isolated" due to little or no sense of community.

I literally just submitted my dissertation about this. Weird.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I hope you asked peoples permission

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/27/man-arrested-over-incident-in-whitehall-near-parliament

The rider never ends!

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Breath Ray posted:

I hope you asked peoples permission

They made me do it.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

LemonyTang posted:

Have just had a Labour leaflet for the council elections put through my door - it proposes a "council-run" energy company. Does anyone know anything like that already existing elsewhere? Seems like an interesting idea.

Sounds similar to OurPower, which is run by a bunch of big housing associations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

If you want good Brutalism you have to go to Germany

This one doesn't count, it's clearly some kind of land warship.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bobstar posted:

This one doesn't count, it's clearly some kind of land warship.

Those crafty huns circumventing the Washington Naval Treaty even today!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a university/animal testing center.

Though it does look as though it might take off given provocation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 27, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What do they test? Range? Velocity?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Ah, Space Battleship Bismarck

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Alertrelic posted:

Sounds similar to OurPower, which is run by a bunch of big housing associations.

Thanks for linking me this. Found this BBC article talking about their launch but not much since. Does anyone have any experience of them? Seems like a good move forward. One year on I wonder how many people they serve and how many of them are happy with them.

Here is a presentation clearly made by them during the start-up phase.

Also, more info on Owlfancier's building found here

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth Walrus posted:

What do they test? Range? Velocity?

aerodynamics.
Much success has been achieved with a sparrow loaded in a standard 125mm tank sabot round.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

weaponised sound, I'm assuming

I could actually feel the shape of the atoms of any substance within 10 feet of my genitalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If they ever attempt to reboot Thunderbirds with a modern aesthetic, they need to include this building as one of the vehicles. It looks loving amazing.

• Locked thread