Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sad King Billy posted:

Surely Six would be the frontman. He has the flamboyance and as much as I like him, he does love the sound of his own voice!

He's already put in his audition.

(although...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

Aren't we forgetting someone?

Anybody who wants to drat Capaldi for putting so much of his own personality and hobbies into the role needs to step back a second and remember Sly. The spoons and a lot of his physical comedy were straight out of his act that he dd before the show where he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

Anybody who wants to drat Capaldi for putting so much of his own personality and hobbies into the role needs to step back a second and remember Sly. The spoons and a lot of his physical comedy were straight out of his act that he dd before the show where he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.

And possibly have words with Tom Baker as well. And Jon Pertwee.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress you and anybody who cringes when 12 pulls out his guitar.

I want a multi Doctor episode where 12 meets 2 and they have a jam session.

I can't stand 12's guitar, but it has nothing to do with it being whimsical or part of the actor's personality— I find it cringy because it's a very old man thing to do. I feel like the Doctor isn't supposed to come across as an adult, and strumming away with sunglasses on your guitar is a very adulty thing to do. That's not true of the spoons or jellybabies, because they don't come with the same level of symbolic baggage.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Astroman posted:

Couldn't he poo poo himself without putting ferrets down his trousers?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Prequel to the season finale with Missy and the Mondasian Cybermen is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmKk2eCfu0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/FairfaxSpoilers/status/857225974714253312

E: A followup tweet has the link.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Huh. Until you said this, I never realized I wanted a story where one Doctor causes another's regeneration.

It would be particularly headachey if it was, say, the Thirteenth Doctor doing it to the Twelfth.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

howe_sam posted:

I'm sad that next season is the last one for Foy and Smith,

Aw, man. Was hoping they'd at least spin out another one, they could just about stretch to the 70s with them and no one would mind much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It would be particularly headachey if it was, say, the Thirteenth Doctor doing it to the Twelfth.

The End of Time should have ended with Matt Smith quietly smothering Tennant.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The End of Time should have ended with Matt Smith quietly smothering Tennant.

*muffled, from under a pillow* "I don't want to go!"
"This is for Harriet Jones, Prime Minister."
"Expiring* "Yes... I.... know who she... was..."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.
those poor ferrets

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

vegetables posted:

I can't stand 12's guitar, but it has nothing to do with it being whimsical or part of the actor's personality— I find it cringy because it's a very old man thing to do. I feel like the Doctor isn't supposed to come across as an adult, and strumming away with sunglasses on your guitar is a very adulty thing to do. That's not true of the spoons or jellybabies, because they don't come with the same level of symbolic baggage.

Let's agree to disagree. I find 12 doing the aging rockstar thing to not only suit this incarnations tendancy to actually feel his age (it's the oldest he's ever been) but also a successful attempt to be "cool" without much effort on his part. 11 always strived to be that cool but usually just missed the mark, which was endeering in its own way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Liking Dad Rock with the innocent "Wow, COOL!" factor of a child seems like it encompasses the facet of the Doctor epitomized by Tom Baker's "There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" and Matt Smith's "young man put together by a committee of old men."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, has anyone from Big Finish ever mentioned why there's a bit of an 'overlap' between the new style of Companion Chronicles releases (1st and 2nd Doctor boxsets) and the Early Adventures line (1st and 2nd Doctor stories)? I'd really like to see the CC line return to the style of rotating through more eras...especially now that modern-Who is on the table.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just read that the Master played drums while in a band on Gallifrey in his youth so let's throw Missy into that Multi Doctor jam sesh, just because.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

*muffled, from under a pillow* "I don't want to go!"
"This is for Harriet Jones, Prime Minister."
"Expiring* "Yes... I.... know who she... was..."

If they hadn't been able to trick Barry the Silence into saying,"You should kill us all on sight!" the back-up plan was to get the Silence to demand everybody forget who Harriet Jones* was, since the human mind wouldn't be able to process that impossible command.

* Former Prime Minister

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If they hadn't been able to trick Barry the Silence into saying,"You should kill us all on sight!" the back-up plan was to get the Silence to demand everybody forget who Harriet Jones* was, since the human mind wouldn't be able to process that impossible command.

* Former Prime Minister

The third back up was tricking Barry into saying "Don't we look tired?" instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

* Former Prime Minister

We know who she is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Couldn't he poo poo himself without putting ferrets down his trousers?

Don't question Radagast's methods, they get results.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

I just read that the Master played drums while in a band on Gallifrey in his youth so let's throw Missy into that Multi Doctor jam sesh, just because.
War Doctor is the Bassist since he's not exactly a Doctor and therefore not a musician

Eleven on Sax
Ten plays a mean Triangle (stolen from Rassilon)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Eight is the weary burned out manager who once had a dream of playing music and snogging redheads.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92RbydVwuc

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Delgado would be on contrabassoon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Is that Delgado on guitar? Where the hell is Ainsley? :mad:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

He's secretly all of them at the same time. They're just wearing phony masks.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

No, that's Ainley with the thinner beard and no gray hair. Delgado is sitting behind the sound board in his comfy Inflatable Chair.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUAa6_bJ8k

In which Peter and Pearl introduce Thin Ice and tell you a bit about what it's about

Also, the Second and Tenth Doctors visited the same Frost Fair

Keep an eye out for potential cameos?

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I highly, HIGHLY doubt Patrick Troughton will make a cameo appearance.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

*cue Patrick Troughton running across the ice in his big coat with an awkward perspective/size ratio*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

all-Rush mixtape posted:

[whoops]
Having a Second Doctor stunt double for a silent background cameo wouldn't be too hard to do

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 27, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that accurate or a joke? Because it sounds like a pretty big spoiler if it's the former :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Is that accurate or a joke? Because it sounds like a pretty big spoiler if it's the former :(
Bradley was cast as the First Doctor for the 2013 "An Adventure In Space and Time" drama made in celebration of the 50th Anniversary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAJhq9DT_8
If the First Doctor was to show up again for whatever reason the producers make, I think he's the best for the job, even if his Hartnell impression leaves much to be desired. Of course, he's an actor, not an impressionist, so I can forgive the altered delivery

Same can be said for all those "Different Doctor reads certain speeches made by later Doctors" videos
Paul McGann, for example
Flatline speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZvs18Gz2A

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I wish they would just get Eccleston for a throwback plot instead of recasting the 1st. If they have to bring an old doctor back, use him. John Hurt was great in the 50th, but it would have been better to see 9 again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Getting Christopher Eccleston to do Doctor Who again isn't exactly easy. There's a reason why he wasn't in the Day of the Doctor except for archival footage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWGfh86qcs

Another Thin Ice preview

"She's a bad girl. Always looking for trouble."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you reason with her."
"How?"
"Unsuccessfully mostly."

I'm so glad he admitted it :)

One of my funnest memories of the TARDIS is when the 4th Doctor set a randomiser on the controls to avoid anybody from being able to predict or track his movements.... the very first place the TARDIS takes him "randomly" is Skaro :xd:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do feel like Moffat has relied too often on the Doctor being able to travel to a specific place and time so as to resolve whatever twisty nonlinear story is going on, so it'd be a nice change for the TARDIS to just not be able to be guided for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do feel like Moffat has relied too often on the Doctor being able to travel to a specific place and time so as to resolve whatever twisty nonlinear story is going on, so it'd be a nice change for the TARDIS to just not be able to be guided for a bit.

To be fair, that is a revival thing rather than a Moffat thing. Nine and Ten screwed up a little now and then, but the Doctor has been getting more accurate with the TARDIS over the years.

• Locked thread