Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Are all gundam seasons like Legend of the Galactic Heroes except with mechs because I honestly wasn't expecting to get a really good war is hosed up for everyone involved story out of a show called Gundam Unicorn

Gundam Unicorn is one of the more optimistic Gundam series honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Are all gundam seasons like Legend of the Galactic Heroes except with mechs because I honestly wasn't expecting to get a really good war is hosed up for everyone involved story out of a show called Gundam Unicorn

I suggest 0080 and Thunderbolt next for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

I suggest 0080 and Thunderbolt next for you.

One, and then the other, to be specific. They both tackle the War Is Hell angle from opposing directions.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Yes, though I think LoGH across the board has more likable characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DamnGlitch posted:

Yes, though I think LoGH across the board has more likable characters.

LOGH doesn't have nearly as many psychopaths as Gundam.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't have Bork Cry

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I think the big difference is Gundam, for all its flaws, portrays some antagonists as 'bad cause but good people' and a few reprehensibly bad, but rarely cartoonishly evil. If LoGH has a manifest flaw, it's that the factions and people it wants to paint evil are made to look ridiculously, cartoonisly evil.

It's not a simple distinction but that's the vibe I get. The titans are about as cartoonishly evil as UC Gundam gets (maybe the bugs from F91), but even they aren't quite as flat as say, the terraists.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I think the big difference is Gundam, for all its flaws, portrays some antagonists as 'bad cause but good people' and a few reprehensibly bad, but rarely cartoonishly evil. If LoGH has a manifest flaw, it's that the factions and people it wants to paint evil are made to look ridiculously, cartoonisly evil.

It's not a simple distinction but that's the vibe I get. The titans are about as cartoonishly evil as UC Gundam gets (maybe the bugs from F91), but even they aren't quite as flat as say, the terraists.

The bugs were just one dude going nuts, so I don't think that situation is comparable in the same way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Droyer posted:

The bugs were just one dude going nuts, so I don't think that situation is comparable in the same way.

None of it has a direct one to one, but that was a moment I felt was more silly than threatening. You can maybe compare them to drones and mobile dolls, but having it be a virus or something would be less silly for the setting I think.

LoGH is great but the terraists are comically evil, is when I mean (I love F91 it's worth noting)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

None of it has a direct one to one, but that was a moment I felt was more silly than threatening. You can maybe compare them to drones and mobile dolls, but having it be a virus or something would be less silly for the setting I think.

LoGH is great but the terraists are comically evil, is when I mean (I love F91 it's worth noting)

Well if you're talking cartoonishly evil in gundam you can't not mention Blue Cosmos.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Droyer posted:

Well if you're talking cartoonishly evil in gundam you can't not mention Blue Cosmos.

I was specifically talking about UC gundam. I haven't seen all of Seed. When you get to the AU setting there's a lot to pick from for cartoonishly evil.

Like, there's lots of people in Wing for instance that are like LoGH. Treize is portrayed the way lotsa folk are in the empire, while plenty of the alliance people and romafeller are similar to how the terraists are depicted.

There's a good overlap of bad alliance / lovely free planet people too.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 27, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DamnGlitch posted:

The Zanscare from V Gundam are ridiculously, unrepentantly, cartoonishly evil on a scale that makes the Titans or even most of the LoGH villains look like teddy bears. Mass execution of dissidents via loving guillotine, suppression of resistance via the measured and reasonable tactic of "roll a giant fleet of land battleships across a continent destroying every city and murdering every civilian we run across", they attempted to build a space laser for orbital bombardment purposes(which thankfully got jacked before they could deploy it), and their ultimate final weapon was intended to harness hundreds of enslaved psychics in order to quite literally mind wipe every human being on the planet Earth to secure Zanscare's victory.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-W5LDUg18

Gundam Versus is westward bound.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, Gundam Versus Capcom.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so is this like xenoverse but with gundams

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's more like Virtual-On with modern controls, really.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
does it have any sort of single player/story mode or is it all multiplayer?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kuvo posted:

It's hard to say. The previous major console release, Full Boost, had pretty bare bones fighting game arcade mode style singleplayer. There was an off-shoot, EXVS Force, which was a Vita release that had no multiplayer and had a slightly more fleshed out arcade mode.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

so is this like xenoverse but with gundams

Not much story. However it has absolutely fantastic gameplay.

Seriously the vs series is by far the best gundam video game franchise. It's a fifteen year old series that, for the most part, improves with every iteration.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
i guess you can vote on the box art
https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/vote-for-the-gundam-versus-cover

wheres my zeta/ez8 cover :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kanos posted:

The Zanscare from V Gundam are ridiculously, unrepentantly, cartoonishly evil on a scale that makes the Titans or even most of the LoGH villains look like teddy bears. Mass execution of dissidents via loving guillotine, suppression of resistance via the measured and reasonable tactic of "roll a giant fleet of land battleships across a continent destroying every city and murdering every civilian we run across", they attempted to build a space laser for orbital bombardment purposes(which thankfully got jacked before they could deploy it), and their ultimate final weapon was intended to harness hundreds of enslaved psychics in order to quite literally mind wipe every human being on the planet Earth to secure Zanscare's victory.

I think late uc is just a slide into schizophrenia. Id forgot about V gundam but ive only seen about 3 eps of it :o

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Zanscare are indeed loving insane (they also dress mostly like WW1 German field and high commanding officers interestingly enough) but remember one of the colonies in Victory embrace the styles of 2nd World War Nazi Germany.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Origin confirm or deny the Zabi's involvement with Revil's escape following the destruction of the Ananke?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Origin confirm or deny the Zabi's involvement with Revil's escape following the destruction of the Ananke?

Degwin strikes a deal in exchange for working to end hostilities with Zeon, but Revil instead gives the "Zeon is exhausted" speech.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

Degwin strikes a deal with Revil in exchange for telling the Federation to end hostilities with Zeon, but instead gives the "Zeon is exhausted" speech.

Okay, that sounds better than the initial rumors that Degwin only did it to prolong the war. Which would have been absolutely moronic on Zeon's part. Releasing him as a bargaining chip to cover up how over-extended Zeon was and having it blow up in Degwin's face is much more reasonable.

EDIT: I will say one thing for the compilation movies. They do the apocalyptic atmosphere of the setting better than the TV series. I'll still recommend watching the whole show over only the films, but they aren't without merit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monaghan posted:

Not much story. However it has absolutely fantastic gameplay.

Seriously the vs series is by far the best gundam video game franchise. It's a fifteen year old series that, for the most part, improves with every iteration.

I miss them having incredibly huge branching storylines like Vs. Zeta had.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Usually there is some sort of single player campaign that's more than just MP bot matches.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New episode of Thunderbolt is out.

Thunderbolt GMs continue to be the shittiest mobile suits of all time. Wish I could say otherwise, given my love of grunt suits, but a feddie going out in anything without a V-fin has roughly the same odds with his emergency pistol.

Which says something in Bianca's favor, I suppose. Anyone able to rack up kills in one of those deathtraps deserves respect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"These legs aren't just for show!" Nice one, Io. Nice to see even when you're having flashbacks that you're a remorseless fucker.

Episode was alright, but nothing special. Ending montage with the funerals was good. Also, I'm confused. Are these Zeon remnants the same group that Darryl is currently working with, or are they attached to the South Sea Alliance?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 28, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The Atlas still looks out of place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

"These legs aren't just for show!" Nice one, Io. Nice to see even when you're having flashbacks that you're a remorseless fucker.

Episode was alright, but nothing special. Ending montage with the funerals was good. Also, I'm confused. Are these Zeon remnants the same group that Darryl is currently working with, or are they attached to the South Sea Alliance?

I assume the answer is somewhere between the two. Zeon remnants aren't especially organised, and the SSA's religion is spreading. Given that Darryl's team is going up against the SSA, though, the connection probably isn't too close between them and these guys.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/gundam_tb/status/857927664291782656

Big fan of the Acguy Squirtle Squad here

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

good tastes

ManSedan posted:

also this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the best part of thunderbolt is still the soundtrack

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Why's Darryl wearing a VR headset?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

the best part of thunderbolt is still the soundtrack

ManSedan posted:

I still like it for being a weird one off prototype that actually looks the part. That and the railgun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys, check out the Build Fighters twitter

https://twitter.com/buildfighters?lang=en

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tae posted:

I miss them having incredibly huge branching storylines like Vs. Zeta had.

I guess, but on the other hand the missions got incredibly repetitive.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hey guys, check out the Build Fighters twitter

https://twitter.com/buildfighters?lang=en

The key players from the team that made S1 are making My Hero Academia these days, after try and the OVA what is there to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Artum posted:

The key players from the team that made S1 are making My Hero Academia these days, after try and the OVA what is there to look forward to.

My Hero Academia?