Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm starting to think we should try to comprehensively rank the Mexican places in London.

Please do, it'd be great to know which of our maybe four options is the least terrible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please do, it'd be great to know which of our maybe four options is the least terrible. :v:

I liked Benito's Hat when I ate there. Some of my colleagues have been raving about Poncho 8, but I've yet to try it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Theophany posted:

I liked Benito's Hat when I ate there. Some of my colleagues have been raving about Poncho 8, but I've yet to try it.

I've been once by Paddington and liked it, but they don't seem to have one near me. I like Chillango a lot, probably my favorite chain and I think the only one with shrimp on the menu, but Tortilla and Benito's are both very good and Chipotle at least is decent and provides good portions for the price. I think I've had Barburrito but forgot.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

reality_groove posted:

Has anyone been to Breddos tacos? Is it any good?

Yeah and it was tasty but unlike a lot of places spicy means spicy.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been once by Paddington and liked it, but they don't seem to have one near me. I like Chillango a lot, probably my favorite chain and I think the only one with shrimp on the menu, but Tortilla and Benito's are both very good and Chipotle at least is decent and provides good portions for the price. I think I've had Barburrito but forgot.

I went to Tortilla for the first time on Wednesday and I really wasn't impressed, soggiest burrito I've had in a long time.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Getting poo poo from colleagues for opting out of a bi-weekly lunch trip to Wasabi and saying that there's good Japanese food in Soho.

Misato is my recommendation by the way.

wasabi is the best of the office lunch places though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pointsofdata posted:

wasabi is the best of the office lunch places though

I pity either your poor palate or poor selection of lunch places.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
RE: mexican - if you're lucky enough to live in Peckham like me (the food options are frankly ridiculous for the size of the area), both Taco Queen and (less well-known) Cravings La Carreta are fantastic.

Taco Queen is more trendy and experimental with the cooking and incredibly delicious. Also very, very good value (their arepa plates in particular). Also for a few more weeks they're running a pop-up on Rye Lane where all cocktails are £5 all the time.

Cravings is more traditional foods and also incorporates other central and southern american foods. They're adorably bad at things like branding/promotion/décor but it's run by a really lovely family and their food is absolutely banging. And it's BYOB.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Anae posted:

RE: mexican - if you're lucky enough to live in Peckham like me (the food options are frankly ridiculous for the size of the area), both Taco Queen and (less well-known) Cravings La Carreta are fantastic.

Taco Queen is more trendy and experimental with the cooking and incredibly delicious. Also very, very good value (their arepa plates in particular). Also for a few more weeks they're running a pop-up on Rye Lane where all cocktails are £5 all the time.

Cravings is more traditional foods and also incorporates other central and southern american foods. They're adorably bad at things like branding/promotion/décor but it's run by a really lovely family and their food is absolutely banging. And it's BYOB.

Cravings looks quite good. I think I'll swing by there tonight. Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't heard of it before. The pictures remind me of places in Texas.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Onion Rings posted:

Cravings looks quite good. I think I'll swing by there tonight. Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't heard of it before. The pictures remind me of places in Texas.

Let me know what you think, I like showing it to people as it still seems to be a relative unknown for a lot of locals.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

IMHO no Mexican restaurant in London is better than Mestizo near Euston, and also everyone seems to be confusing Tex Mex and Mexican.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Any last minute suggestions for asian birthday lunch today? Supposed to be going to Jugemu but my convos with them do not make me hopeful that this will happen.

Considered alternatives are koya bar and on the bap, anything else?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Any last minute suggestions for asian birthday lunch today? Supposed to be going to Jugemu but my convos with them do not make me hopeful that this will happen.

Considered alternatives are koya bar and on the bap, anything else?

Eat Tokyo? They've certainly got the room. Murakami on St. Martin's Lane is nice too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I realised that Dotori is open again just recently! I need to make sure I go there before it goes away forever.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Went to Jihwaja in Vauxhall last night off a Jay Rayner recommendation. I can't give you many details apart from that I know I ate a huge amount of fried chicken and it was incredibly moreish, I drank a huge amount of soju that was equally moreish, and I got 100/100 on the karaoke machine for singing Rick Astley. It was as much fun as I've had in London for ages and you should go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh wow, my favourite dim sum place, New World has been closed down due to 'an infestation of mice and cockroaches'. Lovely.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

New World is fun for the trollies, but the dim sum is pretty poor. Try Phoenix Palace near Baker Street for excellent and reliable dim sum!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lloyddy posted:

New World is fun for the trollies, but the dim sum is pretty poor. Try Phoenix Palace near Baker Street for excellent and reliable dim sum!

I thought it was pretty good when I went. My one complaint was that what you had to pay was always a complete mystery until the bill arrived.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has/does anyone here worked in Mayfair?

Start a new job on Tuesday, looked on Google maps for places to get a quick lunch, but can't find much that doesn't have a tasting menu.

That is, aside from eat/pret/wasabi/subway. But if I eat there I will die of sadness.

Venturing into soho might be an option, but I'll be next to Grosenvor Sq. So not the quickest lunch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grosvenor Square is right by St Christopher's Place (just on the other side of Oxford Street) which has a decent selection of places around it.

Meat Liquor is pretty close by too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the best place to get pho for dinner on a Friday evening?

Vlex posted:

IMHO no Mexican restaurant in London is better than Mestizo near Euston, and also everyone seems to be confusing Tex Mex and Mexican.

Oh hey that's like really near the office I'm visiting this week. Just took a look at their menu online and as someone who grew up with legit Mexican food the menu looks really promising actually. Might try there for lunch tomorrow.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 26, 2017

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh hey that's like really near the office I'm visiting this week. Just took a look at their menu online and as someone who grew up with legit Mexican food the menu looks really promising actually. Might try there for lunch tomorrow.

I have been to Mexico (Queretaro, so not the touristy bits) and while the food was definitely good I didn't really notice some immense gulf between what I was having and what is usually served in Mexican places over here as I keep seeing from people who are in the know. What are the big differences?

Edit: to be clear I mean places over here like Lupita which at least actually claim to be 'authentic' Mexican. Obviously there is a lot of fast food nonsense that is way different.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 27, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anywhere along the Pho Mile on Kingsland St (Shoreditch) is going to be good. Miên Tây and Loong Kee I've both enjoyed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I decided the line was short enough to try a Bubblewrap Waffle yesterday (was still about 20 minutes) and I think it was worth it. Besides the waffle being very pleasant the gelato is gorgeous. I had the "Oreo crunch" which has crumbled oreo and salted caramel sauce on strawberry cheesecake gelato. Worth a look if you're in the area and fancy a treat, maybe during the day since I think it's quieter.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Boris Galerkin posted:

SIN near finsbury park does very good pho if you are in the area. But be warned its small, busy, and cash only.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn't make it to Mestizo today unfortunately. I mentioned to the guys I was visiting that I wanted to get Mexican food and that I heard mestizo was great, and they said "no let's go to Wahaca" or whatever it's called if I wanted real Mexican food.

I mean it wasn't technically bad food but like if you think Mexican food is what you see in American tv shows then okay, go to Wahaca but I was really upset I listened to them about this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 28, 2017

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Wahaca was started by a white English lady who won a tv cookery competition show. I think that says it all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I decided the line was short enough to try a Bubblewrap Waffle yesterday (was still about 20 minutes) and I think it was worth it. Besides the waffle being very pleasant the gelato is gorgeous. I had the "Oreo crunch" which has crumbled oreo and salted caramel sauce on strawberry cheesecake gelato. Worth a look if you're in the area and fancy a treat, maybe during the day since I think it's quieter.

Oh I've been past there a few times, but the queue has always stretched past what used to be HK Diner (:smith:). If it's quieting down, that'll give me a chance to try.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I've been past there a few times, but the queue has always stretched past what used to be HK Diner (:smith:). If it's quieting down, that'll give me a chance to try.

I went after work so must have been past 6pm, I took a look from Wong Kei on Monday around lunch and it looked quiet, but they only open at 12:30.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm about to go to Honey & Co for dinner. Will report back.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in London again for 3 days. Where do I go for a good curry in terms of a takeout/smaller place not a full blown restaurant?

Also, we want to explore the areas west of Kensington, so if there is anything there that's worth a sample in terms of street food/take away or snacks, let me know.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

vodkat posted:

SIN near finsbury park does very good pho if you are in the area. But be warned its small, busy, and cash only.

If you're gonna be in Finsbury Park and want authentic pho you may as well go up the road to Q+T Kitchen which is run by actual Vietnamese people. SIN is better for like cool atmosphere and all that beers-n-fusion-n-chickenwings-n-rly-loud-music vibes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

If you're gonna be in Finsbury Park and want authentic pho you may as well go up the road to Q+T Kitchen which is run by actual Vietnamese people. SIN is better for like cool atmosphere and all that beers-n-fusion-n-chickenwings-n-rly-loud-music vibes.

And Que Me a block up is very good too

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm going to Kanada-Ya for the third time tonight with friends from out of town. First two visits have been stunningly good. It's a little expensive but holy balls it's worth it. Best noodles I've ever had and possibly the best food I've eaten full stop in the last twelve months.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I'm going to Kanada-Ya for the third time tonight with friends from out of town. First two visits have been stunningly good. It's a little expensive but holy balls it's worth it. Best noodles I've ever had and possibly the best food I've eaten full stop in the last twelve months.

Oh I keep walking past there and meaning to go in. I've noticed there's no longer the massive queues outside all the time, so I might have to give it a try.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I keep walking past there and meaning to go in. I've noticed there's no longer the massive queues outside all the time, so I might have to give it a try.

You know where I've being going straight past until recently? The entirety of Balham.

Had breakfast/brunch at Milk there after Googling "best London hash browns" and wasn't disappointed, nice avocado too. But the iced coffee was just out of this world, I keep thinking of detouring my route to work to have it again.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Anywhere along the Pho Mile on Kingsland St (Shoreditch) is going to be good. Miên Tây and Loong Kee I've both enjoyed.

LTTP but Song Que was always my favourite along that road.

Rude staff, always packed, sign of greatness.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nvm. Misato is off the table.

Had Fish and chips at K&M in Kensington. Fish great, chips mediocre, and the Tartar sauce had a distinct whiff of what I would call nail polish remover and my buddy dubbed "model glue", tartar sauce clearly isn't for us.

Also breakfast at The May Fair Hotel is awesome if a bit pricey at 32£ pp.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 6, 2017

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

therattle posted:

I'm about to go to Honey & Co for dinner. Will report back.

So how was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Misato: We decided to get takeaway from Misato to avoid queuing and instead eat in our hotel room with a friend joining us.
Since we had 3 hungry to feed we decided to order several things: a grilled mackerel dish, breaded chicken curry, ginger pork bento, sashimi bento, a cold udon dish, seafood dumplings, avocado maki and edamame beans. (A steal at 42£)

We were unable to find Misato on deliveroo or other services and
I went past the place in the early afternoon anyway, so I decided to go in and ask about pre-ordering to pick up at 7.45 pm. The staff was super friendly and took my order, asked whether I wanted to pay in advance or later and the entire process was super smooth.

When we came to pick up my food there was a pretty long queue outside that proved our takeaway decision right. We cam in exactly at 7.45 and when the guy behind the counter saw me coming he waved and got my order that had already been set aside. (You could tell it was done on point as it was all piping hot still).

Long story short. Among 3 hungry men we ate all dishes but where unable to finish all the rice. The food was great and my friend who had been to Japan before says it was genuine, non-europeanized Japanese food, which I don't doubt but can't verify myself as I have never been there.

We will definitely keep this place in mind for our next visit.